Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Microsoft Dropping Xbox One's Holiday Price to $349

• 162 results
    Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I want one now! Just in time for the MCC.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@mb: I don't think anyone has every been against PC gaming, yet there are plenty of threads where someone asks which console they should get, specifically stating they aren't interested in getting a PC and usually one of the first three responses is someone saying he should consider investing in a PC instead. It's really humorous and bewildering.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@nomin said:

I think Xbox One is a perfect compliment to any PC gamer. The price is right with a game bundled in, it is enough for PC gamers to satiate their appetite for console game action outside of their main interest in PC gaming.

If anything it's the PS4. Hopefully Sony makes a move like this!

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#105  Edited By notnert427
    @mb said:

@notnert427 said:

... it's from PC elitists who get their jollies crapping on consoles so they can try to justify having to buy new hardware every year to even be able to run new games; I don't know.

Dude, come on. There is a System Wars forum on Gamespot if you want to get into that sort of "discussion", please don't make arguments that are simply false without being prepared to back them up somehow. The real irony is that you then go on to call out others' lack of common sense in this same post.

This is one of the biggest misconceptions (or just false arguments, whatever you want to call it) from those that are against PC gaming for whatever reason, and it simply isn't true.

Duly noted. And for the record, I don't want to get into that discussion. Several other gaming message boards are like that, and we're in complete agreement that it's terrible. That's the last thing I want this place to become, and I fully get why you're nipping it in the bud as a mod. I was just making a point in trying to figure out why in the hell people would be indignant about a price drop that benefits everyone except Microsoft's pocketbook. It just seems to me like people are quicker to blast Microsoft when they screw up and slower to laud them when they do something right because MS is so "corporate-y". Case in point: the overuse of the word "desperate" in this thread to describe a simple discount. As @veovisjohn mentioned, there's a whole lot of schadenfreude going on in here. Some people seem to want the X1 to fail (which is good for no one), and thinly veiled Nelson Muntz "haha!" sentiments towards a price drop are apparently perfectly acceptable.

Honestly, I'm not "against" any form of gaming. I've loved this shit from Mario to Doom to Goldeneye to Gran Turismo to Halo to BF 1942 to GTA to Wii Sports to Arma to now. I still own seven different consoles and have a higher-end PC that I can and do game on. That said, please don't essentially claim that I'm inventing the idea of elitist PC gamers who dislike/blast the consoles. That isn't "false", "not true", or however you want to phrase that. They show up in pretty much every discussion about graphics or frames per second to look down their nose at the consoles and "remind" everyone that the highest-end PCs are capable of "the best", as if that's news to anyone. I don't think I really have to "back that up", but I can cite specific examples if necessary. These types of comments, despite being wholly unnecessary and in the same vein of typical console war b.s., are rarely subject to moderation.

Similarly, the PS4 crowd tends to really get excited if/when they have a 1080p game that runs on less than that on the X1, and makes it known every time it happens. I'm not claiming I'm above this stuff, either. I'll admit to taking some schadenfreude in #DRIVECLUB's mediocrity because it was propped up to be the Forza killer, and I'm admittedly taking some shots of late at Sony's lacking gaming lineup for the holiday season. We're all guilty of being partial to our gaming systems of choice out of both post-purchase rationalization and for the same legitimate appeal that led us to buy them in the first place. It's human nature.

Let's just keep it fair and address all "console war"-type comments (PC gaming included). If I face scrutiny over snide comments about PC gamers having to constantly upgrade their systems or the PS4's lacking Fall/exclusive game lineup in response to gleeful shots across the bow about Microsoft's supposed "desperation", then it would be nice to see the flipside of that in, say, haughty comments from the PC crowd like "I only game in >1080p and 60 FPS, so I refuse to even play on crappy consoles" (of which there are about a billion) be similarly discouraged. I'm not trying to be a rabble rouser here, and I know moderation is a thankless job (I've done it on other sites before), but let's have the rules apply to all. And for what it's worth, I really will try and keep the console war stuff to a minimum going forward. In an effort not to threadjack further, if further discussion is necessary, I'm open to PMs. Thanks for listening.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm actually kind of irked about this. I mean, I was fully ready to go out and get the Sunset Overdrive bundle this week but now if I can save $50 the most reasonable thing to do would be to wait the extra week. Ugh, I've got shit to keep me busy but the wait is still gonna be excruciating.

Also really hope the Walmart in my area still has them in stock. I've heard they're selling out fast.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

How very dare they make the console more affordable!

The cheek of it!

That is precisely what their shareholders will say, subsidiary CEOs get pushed out over far less. There is evidence, some say, that Don Mattrick was going to be fired i he had not jumped ship, so it is not like there is no precedent for this at MS/Xbox

Phil Spencer will have to show that this price drop was worth it, for the major shareholder that means selling "X" million more units over the holiday and bumping up attach rate for software. And, if this doesn't? Well, Satya Nadella, will have to put someone up on the alter to take blame - that will be ol' Phil.

hodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By hodor

I'm actually kind of irked about this. I mean, I was fully ready to go out and get the Sunset Overdrive bundle this week but now if I can save $50 the most reasonable thing to do would be to wait the extra week. Ugh, I've got shit to keep me busy but the wait is still gonna be excruciating.

Also really hope the Walmart in my area still has them in stock. I've heard they're selling out fast.

Don't go to Walmart, if you trade your 360 or PS3 in at a MSoft store you can get it for $249.

FPK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagas said:

Stupid of them to put the price back. They should lower it permenantly. I am not buying either console until it is around €200-250. I have never paid more than €250 for a console and I am not about to atart now. What I have paid so far.

PS3 €200

360 €200 (akthough it was the core edition so I ended up buying a harddrive later)

PS2 €100

Gamecube €160

XBOX €250

Dreamcast €250

PS1 €180

Master System €50

NES €80

They will lower it permenantly somewhere in 2015, probably during spring. But right now they're making it seem as a "limited" offer to move more units this holiday than a permanent reduction would.

lhcarpenter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder how many of these "oh man, that's actually kind of tempting" moments it'll take before Microsoft actually nudges me into an area where I'm comfortable purchasing an Xbox.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

Pretty pleased with this, I wasn't going to jump for a console anytime soon, but my friends prefer Xbox, we loved halo, and the timing is perfect. I'm grabbing the Assassin's Creed bundle.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@beeelow said:

At that price I'm definitely getting one. Does anyone know if the first version of KI is still free?

It was never "free." You got it free if you bought an Xbox Live subscription. The free is just once character that rotates playable for a month.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because of what they tried to pull when the release this thing, I am afraid to say I will never buy an X1 but then again I probably wont buy a ps4 until like 4 years into its life cycle either.

geardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is going to turn into a free-market knife fight soon enough. Guess I'm buying a bone.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a ps4 already, and I paid close to this price for it and no tax either (so probably less, really). EBay sellers have had multiple sales like this for new consoles already, so this isn't really interesting besides Microsoft is the one issuing the sale.

Either way, ps4 is still the way to go, IMO. Better first party developers, slightly more powerful console, better policies for indie developers, better online subscription, and a bunch of little things I think are better.

I have to admit, Microsoft is coming in strong with the exclusives, but the same thing happened last generation, then all of sonys great 1st party devs started releasing games 1-2 years in and it became no contest. And having better versions of 3rd party games is a big thing to a lot of people, especially those who aren't interested in high end PC gaming (which is a lot)

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By freakin9

Seems ps4 is still the better performing system. Any price change doesn't change that. Though Killer Instinct is probably the only game on either system I really want to play.

We are probably still a couple years from those generation defining games coming out though.

demarcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#117  Edited By demarcon

You can buy it from any store that isn't gamestop and have the price matched the week after.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not saying the price difference should make no impact on your choice but remember these are 5 plus year invests. Choose the best one for you not just because you'll save a couple bucks now or because of a single game.

Jayxeno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe Sony will drop the price of the PS4.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

So when does Sony lower the PS4 to a "holiday price" of $325?

schonebaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By schonebaby

@pipzor: I'm pretty sure sony and microsoft were already losing money at the $400 price point, though

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You think there will be better deals on Black Friday or should I just go out and get the Sunset Overdrive bundle the moment the price drops?

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is going to piss off everyone who preordered the Sunset Overdrive bundle that's launching tomorrow. I'm so glad I waited to get one. $50 off is pretty good.

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is going to piss off everyone who preordered the Sunset Overdrive bundle that's launching tomorrow. I'm so glad I waited to get one. $50 off is pretty good.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if Sony will respond with their own price drop?

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By penguindust

If they had offered a Halo Master Chief Collection bundle, they'd have my money already. I'll see if anything from the retailers pops up by Black Friday.

Pitta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peritus: I wish I could trip balls as hard as you must be right now. Seems like a blast!

Hef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

$350 White Kinect-less xbox one that comes with sunset overdrive?

Don't mind if I do.

FajitaBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By FajitaBoss

@rollingzeppelin said:

I wonder if Sony will respond with their own price drop?

If they respond with making PSN more usable i'll be fine. I have 20 friends 20! and it takes foooorever to load the list with a 50mb/s connection, not cool.

mtfikhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this US only? If not guess I might as well get my Sunset Overdrive bundle.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b65b74e68e3e
    deactivated-5b65b74e68e3e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still.....no sale. I'll hang on to my 360. Maybe buy a spare.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@erhard said:

One of the fantastic things about Xbox is when you get the chance to play a new IP, a new game

What a feature.

I love this post.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#133  Edited By AndrewB

"Buy it! There's no way they'll get rid of the Kinect or drop the price for at least a couple years" - me to myself at launch.

Not that I wanted them to cut Kinect either.

red720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I already own a PS4, and I'm not really in a position to buy a second console. Would really love to play Sunset Overdrive though, much more than Halo or anything else XBox has coming up.

Neckbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nomin: Considering how fast a number of its exclusives have come to PC, I'd have to disagree on it being the "perfect compliment to any PC gamer." Now if you'd said the Wii U, you might have a point.

wenis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

now drop some games that I'm interested in and we can start thinking about talking.

Avatar image for purplepartyrobot
    PurplePartyRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if it will go on sale for any cheaper than $349 during a Black Friday sale.

xSeanZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am buying sunset overdrive tomorrow, and still want to get a white xbox one bundle.

I need it to match my white ps4.

I already have an xbox one. I already had a ps4.

What the fuck is wrong with me.

domineeto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@switters: Yes, because I totally want to use my PS4 to play 1-3 year old games that still cost more than their PC counterpart. The only exclusive that isn't not worth playing or a port is LBP3 and even that is coming out on the PS3.

By your logic, the 360 has the largest catalogue of exclusive games. I own a XBO, WiiU and a PS4 and consider myself pretty impartial. My Xbox has been getting the majority of my playtime the past month (with the exception of a 15 hour Bayonetta 2 marathon binge last friday). KI, D4, Forza Horizon 2, and now Master Chief Collection and Sunset Overdrive in a few days.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 360 4GB is 200 bucks. The holiday bundle is 300 bucks. It's effing ridiculous. Every single person or podcast I listen to talks about how lame it is whenever a game is announced for the last-gen consoles, as if there isn't 80 million of them each, and only up to 10 million of the new boxes each. I'm curious to see how Borderlands Pre-Sequel does to gauge if people are still buying 360/PS3 games, or if people threw all their old consoles into a campfire in anticipation of getting new ones down the road. Kind of sick of all the dismissive attitude.

THEBIGZED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By THEBIGZED

This competition benefits all parties. Xbox One sure has been trying for a while now to get even with customers, making some overly aggressive moves even, and that puts the pressure on Sony to (hopefully) not become complacent.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smart move, let's see if it pays off.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#144  Edited By Hunter5024

I have a feeling that this deal will make it hard to find Sunset Overdrive bundles this holiday.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Smart move, but Bloodborne.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Hmm.... Amazon just sent a $50 credit for my Sunset bundle that just shipped out. Price was $399 but they mentioned the Microsoft price drop.

Not bad!

CallMeTetris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daaaaaamn, son. I was gonna wait til MKX dropped to pick up a new console, but I really, really, can't pass up that $350 Sunset Overdrive bundle. I couldn't justify picking up an Xbone just for KI, but this makes that choice a little easier.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@csl316 said:

Hmm.... Amazon just sent a $50 credit for my Sunset bundle that just shipped out. Price was $399 but they mentioned the Microsoft price drop.

Not bad!

That's pretty great. Most discounts never apply retroactively. Good on Amazon/Microsoft.

amp_1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: They did the same for me too which was cool because I consider cancelling my order and waiting after I heard about the price drop.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.