Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

PSA: The latest preview program update has bricked my console.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By OldManLight

I was playing Destiny tonight and had just beaten oryx when the game closed on me and i got the friendly worded "it's time to update" message. With my only alternatives being "stay offline and update later" or "turn off" i tried to apply the update. Got a message saying there was a problem with the update. So i powered the box off and back on and again was told to update. This time it appeared to be applying as normal. The console appeared to reboot itself several times as the progress bar filled. Then the console froze. I let it sit for a good 20-30 minutes before attempting to do anything to it. Once the progress bar had remained there for that amount of time, i powered of the console and back on, now, all i can get is the logo screen and the 3 cycling dots. Set up a repair order and i'm hoping it's covered but it looks like it's on me to pack it myself. Fingers crossed. Also, i got the console last august so it's not particularly old. Just FYI for other duders, hope your updates go more smoothly.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

update, buried deep on their support site, i was able to find this.
    http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/system/offline-system-update-diagnostic-tool

formatting a thumb drive and downloading the image now. wish me luck.

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

A friend of mine had his bricked by this as well. Thankfully, it's considered under warranty until 2016. I think he has a launch unit, but he does live in Australia, so the warranty might be different. Definitely worth checking into if the thumb drive image doesn't work, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-66361f5b4a584
    deactivated-66361f5b4a584

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

good luck.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yeah my friend got the update 'demand' right in the middle of Halo 5 campaign co-op tonight. Pulled him right out. He got it installed ok though, but it seemed pretty damned obnoxious the way it interrupted our game. Weird. Good luck gettin' your xbox up and running duder.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#7 FinalDasa  Moderator

Woof.

I've had some troubles but nothing that major. Good luck duder.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By OldManLight

ok so the flash drive didn't work, it actually gave me a hard system error code when i tried that so i unplugged that, rebooted a few (3-5) more times and suddenly i'm looking at the NXOE dashboard. Now my wife is pissed because i should've come to bed by now but at least my xbox one is alive again. i still have no idea what exactly happened but i'll accept this outcome.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

That fucking sucks. Sounds like the Xbox is coming around for you, but, man. That sucks.

ateatree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Suddenly Aaron Greenberg's comments about the new dash in the Giant Bomb Presents interview (about how this dash was a "true beta experience") make a lot of sense. Once I signed my console up and THEN saw all the compatibility notes and stuff, I knew it was going to be a rough couple months for my poor X-bone. Still haven't gotten to play Rock Band 4 properly since my console updated like 2 days after that game came out :/

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That's why it's a beta. For the Windows Insider Program (beta), an update was recently deployed that caused blue screens on boot.

If you wanna use your console properly, don't sign up for betas for its underlying software.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@oldmanlight: Glad it worked out for you. Thanks for the warning, and for digging out a solution to share.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcfart: I'm aware that this stuff has the possibility to happen but this one was a hard push that actually kicked me out of the game i was playing to apply. Very different from the other updates that have passively applied when my console was not in use.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe something was really jacked that required an immediate fix.

*eyes 'bone suspiciously*

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.