Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

The Official BC List.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Well its here. And to be honest has some good games on the official list. Hope they keep to their word and keep expanding it. Only sad thing? They have Condemed on it....and that was a game I was not expecting to be there so I left it back in CA in storage!!! May pick it up again if I see it cheap used some place.

Wildo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I find that the list posted on Major Nelson's blog is easier to navigate, and since March they have started adding datapoints about when a game is added. Being able to see that 15 games have been added this month is pretty cool.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I've got mixed feelings on how the BC is playing out. On the one hand, the frequency with which they've been adding titles has been impressive, and they've added some good games. On the other hand, they've had the Bioshock games and Black Ops on the "coming soon" thing for like eight months now, Burnout Paradise was announced six months ago and we've had crickets on that since, and I want my Red Dead (which made a brief testing appearance, and I'm betting will be be a RDR2 preorder bonus if/when that gets announced at E3). Adding one or more of those games will go a long way towards making this a heavily-used feature for me.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bigsocrates  Online

I would go further and say it has been generally disappointing so far, and I was way on board when the feature was announced.

They've been adding stuff at a decent clip but much of what they've added is, frankly, filler, and very little of it constitutes big games that people might actually want to play again. I mean it's great that the Sonic games are on there, I guess, but those aren't exactly the gems of the Xbox 360 library. Puzzlegeddon has a metacritic of 64 (not that that's everything.) Meanwhile some Microsoft published games (like the Fable 1 remake) haven't been made BC yet, and a ton of other great stuff is "stranded" on the 360, meaning that I'm nowhere near being able to get rid of my 360 if I want to play, for example, the only official release of Radiant Silvergun in the NA territory, let alone most disc based games.

There are a few heavy hitters that have come over (Gears, obviously, Super Meat Boy, Deus Ex, etc...) and that's nice, but so far backwards compatibility seems more like a nice, if moderate, advantage to the Xbox One than anything that would allow you to replace the 360.

I understand that certain games were never going to be made BC because either they have expired rights issues (Marvel vs Capcom games) or their rights owners are trying to sell upgraded versions for the Xbox One (GTA V.) But we should be seeing more 'b'-tier disc based games like, say, Bionic Commando or The Darkness or Darksiders 1 (2 has an Xbone remaster). Instead we've got Putty Squad, Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime (not the good Ghostbusters game) and Kane & Lynch 2 (but not 1).

Meanwhile where's Bioshock? I think the fact that there's a rumored remastered trilogy coming answers that. And I think that's the answer to why backwards compatibility will probably end up with a third of the library or less. Too many companies will either want to resell these games down the line or don't think there's enough profit it in it to bother signing off on the rights, and Microsoft as the runner up in the console race can't put pressure on them right now.

It's disappointing. The 360 had one of the best libraries in history, and a lot of its best games were digital only, so once the servers go offline you're only going to be able to get them on P.C. (if they were even ported there, which a few were not.)

At least we have 2 versions of Dig Dug though. And Putty Squad. We'll always have Putty Squad.

Wildo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I view it simply as a bonus, and in my case, being able to play Gears 3 and my son being able to play Lego Star Wars has made it worth it. But, admittedly, I also got onto the xBox train super late (got my 360 in 2011 or 2012), so I don't really know what I am missing most likely. In my case, there isn't a specific 360 game I can think of that I am pining for to have a BC release, but I can totally see how it would be frustrating to have stuff like BioShock and Burnout Paradise announced and then silence. My guess there is that they are doing the Fallout 4 / Gears thing where they coordinate the games coming to BC with the announcement of a new part of the franchise or something.

Looking at the list on Major Nelson, there are 182 games there, and if I remember right it launched with 100 in November, so it seems like on average 10-15 new games are coming each month. Assuming that trend continues for a bit, eventually that has to start hitting some of the big ones people are asking for, right?

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully we will get Mass Effect 2/3 soon, now that Deus Ex: Human Revolution is BC, since that is the first multi-disc game. And Microsoft stated that there was some issues with multi-disc games.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

CoD: Black Ops is now available on the BC. I might just have to fire that up tonight.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

The hell is Skate 3 damn it?

I bet EA will announce a new Skate game and have 3 available to play on the XB1.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

@firepaw: Wasn't Human Revolution a downloadable game which would make it easier to make it BC? I don't remember a downloadable release for the 360 versions of Mass Effect 2 & 3, but I could be wrong there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.