Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Xbox One nightmare support

aquandt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have a horrendous story and current situation with Xbox support. I wrote a 2 page description that I have upon request but so will make this starting topic short. I ordered and went to the midnight launch for Xbox One. Come to find out that my Day One controller's B button sticks very badly, it makes it unusable. Microsoft gave me 2 options; self ship and pay or send back my entire console back and then they would pay for shipping. I find this unacceptable and need somebody to help me escalate this. I spent over 7 hours on the phone so far with support. It is expected that a new item works out if the box and a consumer should not have to bear the cost of shipping back a defective product. I have a few reasons why shipping the console back is not reasonable; the first being that the console is fine and I do not want to be without it after waiting for so long to play it and 2, I spent a great deal of time updating my console and the 6 games I bought for it. What does everyone think about this and can anyone help or offer some advice. Thank you

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry, I'm a bit confused here. Did you order the console directly from Microsoft? Defective product normally you take back to the point of purchase for exchange (the store you bought it from). Where was the midnight launch?

aquandt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@herbiebug: That is the funny thing. Support never told me to take it back to Walmart. I'm guessing because they are sold out. Point being, I have a defective product that they will only provide free ship back to when everything in the original box is included. I do not think it is fair to make me pay to ship back a brand new defective controller. In fact, it seems downright ludicrous! You can't get back time, and I have put in well over 5 plus hours of updating the console and the 6 games I bought for it. I do not want to go through this set up process again.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While it sucks the retailer, whether it be MS or some other store, would be registering the entire box as one product (cords, controllers, console, etc.). So even though only one part is defective they can't just swap out that specific part as it will mess up their systems. Since the entire bundle is counted as one item it has to be replaced as one item.

Also as mentioned above if you bought the system from a store other than MS why don't you return it to them? You are pretty much guaranteed to be covered under the basic warranty from whatever retailer as the system only released a few days ago so I don't see why you would have to go through MS support unless you bought the console from them.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, Wally world should be able to give you a fresh controller no problem. If they need the entire console back to complete the exchange, you could probably negotiate keeping the original HD so you don't have to redo all your updates and downloads.

aquandt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also saw that Microsoft is offering the advanced exchange program to people whose console is defective. This is when Microsoft ships a console out before receiving the console from the consumer. Now, I was smart and bought a second controller and that is the one I have been using. But if I was solely relying on what I received in the box I would have problems doing anything on the Xbox One because of the stuck/sticky B button. In sense, it makes the console unusable and I should have better options than to self ship and pay that myself or have Microsoft pick the tab up if I ship everything from the Xbox One back to them. I will get them to change this garbage policy one way or another!

aquandt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zella: That's what is confusing, I can ship back just the controller but it will cost me shipping. Why wouldn't this mess up their system?

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By John1912

Its a corporation. They have rules in place, its like trying to argue with a computer. If you dont meet the set criteria they wont help you. You are also dealing with people who have no power what so ever, they just follow the rules word for word. If you want something done you have to speak to someone who isnt a phone support person. There is no point crying about it, or shitting all over them. Ask to speak to someone higher up, or try and take it to walmart to exchange the controller. If all else fails file a complaint. This is typical BS for every company ever.

valitiney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You have to understand that policy for the company standpoint. You may have received a defective controller out of the box, but Microsoft cannot just take your word for it, especially if it is not a known, or emerging issue. So what options you are provided with is to ship the controller yourself for a replacement, do an advanced exchange if applicable, meaning Microsoft sends a controller to you, then you send the defective controller back, or you could go to the retailer you bought the console from, and request a controller exchange, which they have their own set policies as well.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Tarsier

@john1912 said:

Its a corporation. They have rules in place, its like trying to argue with a computer. If you dont meet the set criteria they wont help you. You are also dealing with people who have no power what so ever, they just follow the rules word for word. If you want something done you have to speak to someone who isnt a phone support person. There is no point crying about it, or shitting all over them. Ask to speak to someone higher up, or try and take it to walmart to exchange the controller. If all else fails file a complaint. This is typical BS for every company ever.

i see microsoft and most of the major evil corporations as giant ghost monsters who feed off human ignorance, and i do think its fair to see the employees (and even more so as you go towards the top) as the dark minions responsible for keeping it alive.

aquandt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john1912: I wish it were so easy. I asked numerous times and succeeded in speaking with supervisors and managers. None of them have the power to override the almighty computer policy. I wrote a fricking masters thesis on this same sort of issue, policy should not dictate all situations. I have been a super consumer for Microsoft and am only trying to change a bogus policy or find someone with some decision making authority to help me out. I can't believe that most people do not understand this concept. A quick review: 1 I can't bring it back to Walmart because they have no units in and have no idea as to when they will have more, 2 I am not about to ship back a working console that I have spent many hours updating my games on, 3 I will not pay to send back my controller to Microsoft when it is their duty to supply a working product. My options were for me to pay and ship the controller only back to them or have them send a pre-paid label if I ship the whole unit back to them. I would think most consumers would find these two options unnacceptable. I waited a long time for this and do not want to be without a console for a reason so stupid. I now rely on this Xbox for my Blu-Ray and game playing. Someone above mentioned the advanced exchange, I only wish that was an option for me. I will keep everyone updated because, mark my words, I will get them to change this policy and make it more consumer friendly.

valitiney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By valitiney

I feel you are wasting time on here rather than getting the issue resolved. The fact you think you can just get a policy that has probably been in place since the 360 baffles me, but I applaud your confidence.

aquandt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@valitiney: This forum is just another avenue I thought I would try until the real deal starts, which will be tomorrow. I have mucho confidence that something so silly can be resolved by a real human being, and not just a computer! Thanks though

valitiney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By valitiney

Please, do update, I would love to find out the result.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think in a cold, hard, but beaten path way, they are seeking to split the cost with you on shipping. I'd be pissed too, although taking it back to Wally World as posted by others (with some caveat to what their line of bs will be) is a legit move. It's your call in phoning ahead or just showing up with the controller and receipt ( or perhaps the whole thing!)

I understand what you are mad about, but there are routes of doing business. And the time factor alone, that's why a visit to Walmart. That was very evident in ppl. contacting MS over defective new consoles, and contacting Amazon where they bought it from. MS support black hole of wait, Amazon for the most part 2-3 days away for replacement.

I myself am still pissed what Microsoft did to me over playing Dark Souls. And even after resolving the issue, I am still having problems with my Windows Live account being jake with that game..

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By jay_ray

By a second controller at Wal-Mart then the day after return the broken one as the one you bought.

Broomhitches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You bought a second controller, so use the receipt for that purchase to get a new one.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about you just buy a new controller? Stuff happens, you don't have to deal with 7 hours on the phone and you'll be gaming in bliss.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Is the TC unemployed? Why would you spend over 7 hours of your time on tech support for a $50 device? If you don't lie it sell your X1 and never by anything from Microsoft again. Which we all know you won't do so why complain?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

@jay_ray said:

By a second controller at Wal-Mart then the day after return the broken one as the one you bought.

You bought a second controller, so use the receipt for that purchase to get a new one.

I don't think the separate controllers say "Day One 2013" on them...that's the only difference, but if he wants one of them then his only option is to go through Microsoft directly.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@shadowskill11 said:

Is the TC unemployed? Why would you spend over 7 hours of your time on tech support for a $50 device? If you don't lie it sell your X1 and never by anything from Microsoft again. Which we all know you won't do so why complain?

This is all sorts of nonsense. "A product you paid for doesn't work? So what! Stop complaining! We all know you'll take what Microsoft spoonfeeds you." He also never said he didn't like his Xbox so I have no idea where you got that. The dude has a right to expect functioning equipment.

And Microsoft's customer service is, and always has been, absolute garbage. I bought Halo CE on the marketplace a few years back and it never worked. I would launch it and it would error out and crash. I redownloaded 5 times or so and nothing. I fought with Microsoft support for 2 hours over it. They were adamant about not giving me a refund for a product that never functioned, even when I said I'd be fine to just get it back in MS Points rather than on my credit card.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By Humanity

@shadowskill11 said:

This is all sorts of nonsense. "A product you paid for doesn't work? So what! Stop complaining! We all know you'll take what Microsoft spoonfeeds you." He also never said he didn't like his Xbox so I have no idea where you got that. The dude has a right to expect functioning equipment.

And Microsoft's customer service is, and always has been, absolute garbage. I bought Halo CE on the marketplace a few years back and it never worked. I would launch it and it would error out and crash. I redownloaded 5 times or so and nothing. I fought with Microsoft support for 2 hours over it. They were adamant about not giving me a refund for a product that never functioned, even when I said I'd be fine to just get it back in MS Points rather than on my credit card.

I completely agree in that it's the principle that matters more than the price of a new controller. I also would expect a working product out of the box and having to pay for shipping in order to get an items replaced in my bundle sort of sucks.

That said it's also important to know when to cut your losses. No company is exempt from dumb machinations and stupidly rigid procedures that often times, unintentionally, work against the consumer. At this point I'd probably just pay for the shipping and send the controller back, grumbling under my breath. If he spoke with supervisors and managers and they didn't budge then I doubt anything will change by writing lengthy e-mails that will land in the inbox of someone of even lower rank who will read them, process the information, relay it against his handy rulebook and reply with the same answer as everyone else.

Of course I never had the tenacity of some folk who like to take these sort of things all the way to the top. There always was a point where the whole matter simply wasn't worth the hassle or my time and I caved - although I suppose that's what the company is hoping for.

aquandt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By aquandt

Thanks for all of the feedback. I enjoy seeing everyone's differing opinions on the topic. I agree with Humanity in that I do not care about the price. I care about the principle of this matter. It may seem silly to waste 7 hours on the phone, but I had a slow weekend. I will try one more time today, the supervisor told me the "normal" workers are back at the company. I am not out to drag Microsoft through the mud, I'm simply trying to get a change made. I will keep updating.

PS Someone said I may be unemployed, not the truth. I do have a well paying job of 7 years which is why I can afford to pay Microsoft $1000 on launch day and buy a PS4.

Avatar image for detectivespecial
    DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am genuinely curious what your masters thesis was on, and what department you attended.

aquandt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@detectivespecial: Carthage College (WI) Lakeland College (WI) I actually received a concentration in Healthcare with my MBA. Too many times we find ourselves saying, "because that's the way we have always done it". Just think about that statement and tell me how much innovation would happen if those were the rules we followed. Now, policy is in this same line of general sight. It's an issue that can become stagnated and is often brushed under the table. Good company's should not let policy dictate customer relations because policy can only cover so much and often fails to cover unique circumstance. For example, it seems to me that Microsoft does not have a good policy in place with sending back my controller. A policy should be set to help efficiency, consistency, and clear channels of communication. I received none of that as different people I spoke with were all over the board. One person even said that if it were him in my shoes, that he would be pissed too, and that was a supervisor.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Your best bet here is to go to Gamestop, Buy a new controller, Then take your broken one in with the receipt and exchange it for a new working one.

It does require investing in a second controller, But the you have 2 and they will both work.

aquandt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By aquandt

A quick update for everyone. I called once again today and argued my case to support and did speak with the highest member of the support team. I spent 75 more minutes on the phone. (btw I can do this because I drive a lot for my job) I guess my options are not going to change. They refuse to accommodate me. They said I either pay for shipping the defective controller back or send in the whole unit and then they would pay for the shipping. UNACCEPTABLE! So I did what any upset slighted consumer would do, I went straight to the top. Yes that's correct, I called Mr. Ballmer's office. I got his secretary, who I then asked in astonishment if I could leave a message for Steve. You bet, she said. No voice mail messages are allowed during the day so she took my note by hand. I made it simple for her and told her about the broken controller in a few words. She said she would give the message to him (yea right!) and then she transferred me to someone that could and would help me with my issue. Due to confidentiality reasons I cannot share the email I received but I spoke to the head of the Microsoft Customer Advocacy and Exception Management Team. They promptly apologized and sympathized with my story and situation. I am happy to report I now have a pre-paid slip to send back my Day One Edition controller. He also stated that they will review this policy and maybe change it because I am not the only one who is affected by this issue. This is why you don't cave in and give up folks. Principle policy and consumer fairness all took a turn for the better today. Thank you Microsoft! Just remember, a happy consumer is a walking advertisement!

confideration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm impressed you put that much time into it. If they do change their policy, good on ya.

If I was super bent on having that "Day One" graphic I would have purchased a replacement and swapped out the plastic face, then returned the controller as bad.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#29  Edited By mike

Every time I see this topic I think about waking up from a nightmare and asking Kinect to help me calm down.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.