Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Xbox One tips, tricks, and problem solutions.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kishinfoulux

Hey all. Figured it be nice to have one topic for any tips and trouble shooting issues, in regards to the Xbox One. I'll try my best to update this post with new info when its provided in the topic. Hopefully this will assist people learning the ins and outs of their new console.

Here's a list of voice commands provided by Microsoft. Should prove useful:

No Caption Provided

Tips:

1. When using the Snap feature, you can say "switch" to swap between the main and side screen. We all know that. However you can also double tap the guide button I believe for that same purpose. Probably easier for most.

2. While the YouTube app is garbage and for some stupid reason won't snap like Twitch you can still use Internet Explorer by snapping the app, go to YouTube and play it from there. Just in case you wanted to follow a video guide during gameplay.

3. "Xbox select" is the single most useful voice command. Know it...use it...

Issues:

1. TV works fine but recorded shows off the DVR tend to stutter or freeze every so often. Any suggestions?

None at this time.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

While the YouTube app is garbage and for some stupid reason won't snap like Twitch you can still use Internet Explorer by snapping the app, go to YouTube and play it from there. Just in case you wanted to follow a video guide during gameplay.

OGinOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Xbox select" is the single most useful voice command. Know it...use it...

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Kinda bummed the DVR function doesn't work because our Genie cable box is in the living room and I guess the extra boxes don't let you pause live TV.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oginor said:

"Xbox select" is the single most useful voice command. Know it...use it...

Can you give an example? Not sure if I have or not.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

How do you put it in Suspend mode? All I can find is the Turn Off option...

CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you are Scottish or have an accent try talking to the Xbox in a English accent.

EthanML

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@enigma777: If it is set to suspend mode as opposed to 'energy saving' under the 'Power and Startup' section in settings, then 'turn off' IS suspending it.

Does anybody have any idea why none of the 'tiles' anywhere in my dashboard/apps etc. have any images on them? As in, they have the title along the bottom of the tile, and then just an empty block above them. Tried multiple cold restarts etc and nothing...system working fine otherwise, assuming you count insanely long install times even for a game I have on a disc as 'fine'.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kishinfoulux

@enigma777 said:

It should be set to that by default, but check the Preferences. Essentially when you hit the power button it doesn't actually power it all the way down. So when you go back to play (whether hitting the button again or saying "Xbox On" it will boot up super quick and you can jump right back into a game, from where you left off. It's pretty awesome.

What I'm wondering is if I say "Xbox off" will it power it down completely or put it in standby? Or does it depend on your settings. Not sure as of yet.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@enigma777 said:

It should be set to that by default, but check the Preferences. Essentially when you hit the power button it doesn't actually power it all the way down. So when you go back to play (whether hitting the button again or saying "Xbox On" it will boot up super quick and you can jump right back into a game, from where you left off. It's pretty awesome.

What I'm wondering is if I say "Xbox off" will it power it down completely or put it in standby? Or does it depend on your settings. Not sure as of yet.

I just tested this. Saying "Xbox off" puts it in standby.

Standby mode is a bit confusing at first.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bane

My One is connected to my receiver via HDMI. I kept getting an error stating there was a problem with my receiver when trying to set the HDMI audio to 5.1. This fixed it:

Settings > Display & Sound

• TV connection > HDMI (not HDMI auto-detect)
    • TV resolution > reset it to your TV's native resolution if required
    • HDMI audio > 5.1 uncompressed can now be enabled without error
    kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kishinfoulux

@barrock said:

@kishinfoulux said:

@enigma777 said:

I just tested this. Saying "Xbox off" puts it in standby.

Standby mode is a bit confusing at first.

Ah good to know. I'll have to try next time.

Also updated the OP with a nice image that shows all the voice commands. Should be helpful.

Also I now see why the Xbox Select command is useful.

OGinOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kishinfoulux: "Xbox select" is a great gate command - it basically 'opens' the unit up to other commands. Saying "Xbox Select" will highlight everything on-screen you can say as a command and let you go from there, without saying "Xbox..." every time. It allows for pretty good "command stringing" while doing thing that require lots of 'button presses' (like navigating One Guide).

Final_Bawse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I keep on making up commands in my mind, then I get frustrated when they don't work :D

KirePDX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

has anyone gotten "Xbox on" to work? Never seems to for me, and I have it checked properly in settings.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kirepdx said:

has anyone gotten "Xbox on" to work? Never seems to for me, and I have it checked properly in settings.

You might have to speak it louder then normal. Has worked for me though.

@oginor said:

@kishinfoulux: "Xbox select" is a great gate command - it basically 'opens' the unit up to other commands. Saying "Xbox Select" will highlight everything on-screen you can say as a command and let you go from there, without saying "Xbox..." every time. It allows for pretty good "command stringing" while doing thing that require lots of 'button presses' (like navigating One Guide).

Yeah I was messing with it a little. Definitely a nice help.

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Is there a way to go Full Screen playing a game while Xbox Music is on? If not, Microsoft needs to update this.

Otherwise, this totally feels like the future. My entire music library (like 70 gigs) was on my Xbone in like 30 minutes (my computer took me hours and hours of ripping disks). Xbox Music is a little pricey though; should get a discount with Live Gold (not just the 12 month discount).

Voice commands rock!

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By big_jon

Couple weird things, is there no recent players list? Can you not shut down or restart a game if it crashes? Are bio's gone from your gamer card? The lack of an easy to access friends list is super odd, and a bit disappointing, seems like you can't even join in progress, and even looking at your achievements when they unlock seems more cumbersome to me. Is hitting the guide button every time you want to go back or just open a new app the way you're supposed to do it? Backing out of certain things doesn't work, then relaunching them can bring you back to the same part that you were stuck in, example the store. Can you not play music during a game without snap? Are there no preferences for controls and game setting like on the 360? That was one of the best features on that thing.

it's a really cool UI, but it needs some features added and some polish.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kishinfoulux

So I know "Record that" gets the last 30 seconds of your game. Can it go further? I know if you snap Game DVR you can record up to five minutes, but that's going forward not retroactively right?

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After surfin' the web for quite some time, and adding a bunch of Favorites to my list, Internet Explorer is now dead. Anyone have any idea why? Everything else seems fine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.