Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Xbox One worth a purchase? - Potential buyer.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By MachoFantastico

Hello folks,

So I've recently been thinking about selling my Nintendo Wii U for an Xbox One. Now with the Nintendo NX in full swing development wise (with rumours of a 2016 release date) I've started to wonder if it might be worth selling the system. I'm currently considering picking up an Xbox One now that there's more on offer with Halo 5, Forza 6, Horizon 2 and Tomb Raider hitting soon. Thing is I'm still not entirely sure about the system, especially as a PS4 owner.

So I'd love to know some opinions from those who might actually own an Xbox One or maybe even both an Xbox One and PS4. I appreciate the clean and pretty simple user interface of the PS4 and worry if the Xbox One follows in the footsteps of the 360 in being filled left, right and centre with ads and basically be a slow mess. How is the UI on the Xbox One?

I'm curious if its worth picking up an Xbox One when you already have a PS4. Thing is I know the PS4 will be my main system however I just have more faith in the future of the Xbox One as a second system than I do in the Wii U with NX on its way sometime within the next two years.

Appreciate any advice on this matter?
    Thanks.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By hatking

I love the Xbox One, but I don't own a PS4. The systems seem like they overlap a lot, neither really banging it out with too many exclusives unless you're, like, a hardcore Halo or Uncharted fan. They both have their indie scenes that do quite well, but if that's you're thing you should probably put that money toward building a moderate PC.

I'd keep the Wii U. It's almost entirely unique with its library. Lots of stuff you can't get anywhere else, not just Assassin's Creed with an extra mission or Tomb Raider a few months early.

Edit: But, if you've already made the decision that you want to shed the Wii U, the Xbox One is a cool system. I like the UI a lot, certainly better than the PS4's (which I spend a lot of time with at work), but I don't find either as accessible as the 360's was at its high points. The Xbox One is getting there with its new interface(I find it much better than Jeff does), but it still needs some serious ironing out before the wide release.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

My post got eaten. Weird.

I would definitely not recommend selling your Wii U for it unless you really never use it or you wanna chance the NX being backwards compatible.

I had an Xbox One for a few months, and I thought it was an alright console. There wasn't really anything out at the time that kept me coming back, and my shitty internet made all the updates I had to download whenever I turned on the thing an even bigger chore. Obviously their library has expanded quite a bit since then, and their lineup for next year is solid. They've also got backwards compatibility going for them, if you care about that at all.

The UI is fine, at least in my opinion. It's not great, but it isn't nearly as bad as some claim it is. For what it's worth they're launching dashboard 2.0 in like a week so anyway. As for ads, I don't think I can recall many... they aren't really shoved in everywhere on the dashboard like the 360, anyway.

I think it's kind of a tough call if you already have a PS4... since you're intending to get the Xbox as purely secondary exclusives device. I think as of right now, the Wii U still trumps both consoles as far as first party games go, but the Xbox is getting there.

Hopefully this helps.

Frybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Frybird

I have all consoles, with the Xbox One being the latest purchase mainly for Rock Band 4 and some other exclusives.

It's fine, really. The main UI seems odd sometimes, but the issues i have are minor at best (with the exception of the boot up time, it also does not seem that slow to me in comparison) and at least it's easier to get into your full game library than with the PS4. Plus there's a huge update coming up in two weeks completely overhauling the system front- and backend for a supposedly cleaner, Windows 10 powered interface.

As for having the Xbox One alongside the PS4, well, i really wouldn't need it (i do have more money than time it seems), but at the same time both PS4 and Xbox One have enough strong exclusives and/or third party titles to make a purchase worthwhile if said exclusives appeal to you (it however should be noted that lots of first Party Microsoft Titles do get ported to PC eventually, so if you keep your PC up to date the XB1 seems less appealing).

Also, when buying some Multiplatform Games, i tend to sometimes prefer to buy them on the XB1 as long as the PS4 Version is not the better of the two (which often is the case, even though mostly marginally) because download times on XB1 are A LOT faster in my experience and due to the very neat support of external storage, i have more hard drive space for the Xbox, even with a PS4 hard drive replacement.

So yeah, if you can afford it, the Xbox One is a fine console even for PS4 owners, although most people certainly only need one of them.

That said, don't sell your WiiU. I tend to regret every console i've sold, and you probably do not get that much for it nowadays anyways. Store it up somewhere and enjoy that you can bust it out again easily once you want to replay an older title or when there's something new for it out.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, didn't expect such an awesome quick reply. Thanks for the input, I appreciate the advice and opinions. I see where many of you are coming from, there are a lot of similarities between the Xbox One and PS4 but the same could be said last gen and I certainly enjoyed owning both consoles (the Wii didn't do anything for me, I do enjoy the Wii U occasionally though and it does have some great exclusives).

But I guess my concern is that with the NX round the corner there won't be much more to get excited about on the Wii U. Whereas the Xbox One will have a more substantial lifespan compared to Nintendo's system. I guess I'm just a little undecided. Thanks again for the quick replies.

TooSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far with a PS4 it feels slow going for me. But have been considering a XBox One for Halo and to re-play gears again with friends. At the same time I've been seeing a treasure trove of games on PS3, 360 and DS that I have yet to try so have been focused on that lately. Tough call. If I didn't have a PS4 already I think I'd have picked up the XB One though.

voiceinject

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it a safe bet to assume BC? I realize that Nintendo has a hx of honoring BC - I just don't see it as an absolute guarantee from the company this time around.

My advice is hang onto what you have, and save up for an Xbox. With black friday around the corner, there are bound to be some good deals popping up world wide in the coming weeks.

Avatar image for nashvilleskyline
    Nashvilleskyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love my xone. But there's definitely a learning curve with the UI. It's now better with the new experience but not optimal. At some though, there si so much you can do using a controller for a UI. The console gets better every few months and there's about 12 exclusives coming next year + the cross buy/cross play with PC that will start in December with Fable. I really believe that in 4-5 years, xbox consoles will still be a thing, but no longer segregated. It will be another affordable gaming PC with console UI that you can play all your windows game on. That's sort of the future they are hinting at... the future I'm hoping too.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If your deciding between PS4 and Xone, ask yourself this, do you care about Forza, Halo, or Gears of war? Do you care about Japanese games, uncharted, ect...

I think you have your answer.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By mike

@dizzyhippos: He already owns a PS4.

Anyway, selling a Wii U in order to get an Xbox One when you already own a PS4 seems like a bad idea. You're going to be losing so much value when you sell the Wii U, it seems like it would be a better just to keep it.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As others have pointed out, it pretty much depends on how much you like playing Halo. There's just not enough difference between PS4 and Xbone to really matter outside of a few specific exclusive games.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't sell the Wii U. Instead, save a little more money and, sometime next year, buy an Xbox One.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ripelivejam

My advice is never sell stuff unless you're in a deep fiduciary crisis; you almost always regret it and end up repurchasing the same thing down the line.

Xbone is a neat system if only for imo better exclusives (well and if you really like halo and forza and rare games)

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By Sergio

I own all three systems. I feel the Xbox One wasn't worth it. But that's me; I have no interest in either Forza or Halo 5, and I'm okay with waiting a year for a definitive edition of Tomb Raider. I also find the Xbox One UI terrible -- I don't have a Kinect. I have a few issues with the PS4 UI, but still find it superior to the current Xbox experience. I had high hopes for the update coming out, but I've heard that it's still not a good UI afterwards, just different.

There are no guarantees about what the Nintendo NX will be. If you're done playing all the Wii/Wii U games you have and don't see any future games you might want -- remembering that there is no guarantee that the new Zelda will be available for both systems -- then go ahead and sell it. Even then, I'd say hold off on getting an Xbox One until at least the holiday sales begin and Tomb Raider is out.

budgietheii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love my Xbox One, but would never buy a PS4 as well (wait, I'll get to my point, I promise).

There's just so much overlap between their libraries that you'll always end up resenting the one you settle upon playing less. As such, if you're happy with your PS4 I'd really think twice about going in on another console unless you're confident you have loads of game time. The WiiU on the other hand is a much better second console in my eyes because it doesn't suffer from that overlap (not an issue for you but also useful to cover the gaps on the Xbox One from Microsoft hating indie's).

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By GaspoweR

As someone who has a PC to play games on, if I wanted to buy a console I'm actually leaning towards buying the Xbox One just because of the game streaming functionality from console to PC. Watching that Halo 5 QL also made me want to play that game.

However it's probably not worth it to sell the WiiU unless you don't care enough to re-play anything that has already come out or not excited for any of the announced, unreleased games). Otherwise, just wait for a sale if you want a Xbox One but don't want to spend so much. Probably wait for a sale on the 1TB model or on one of the bundles that has the 1TB storage + a game.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say go for it. You've got maybe Zelda on the way for Wii U and.... nothing else? Xbox is going to have a lot of great games going forward that the PS4 won't, but there is quite a bit of overlap as has been mentioned. Though honestly, if you have a halfway decent computer for indie games, I don't see the point in having a PS4 at all unless you're way into Uncharted.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MachoFantastico

Okay folks, again I'd like to say thank you for the input/advice/opinions. Appreciated.

I have decided against selling my Wii U, many of you made a good argument in regards to how similiar the Xbox One and PS4 are and I have to admit I will most probably always choose PS4 over the Xbox One when it comes to console gaming. Honestly I would most likely be buying an Xbox One for the likes of Halo and Forza but is that realistically enough for the cost of an Xbox One? Probably not. That said I'm not saying I wouldn't buy an Xbox One at some point in the future but maybe right now wouldn't be a smart purchase.

I still have a funny feeling that the new Zelda game will end up being released on Nintendo NX however. A friend did remind me about Xenoblade Chronicles X also hitting later this year, I'd entirely forgot about that. So maybe sticking with the Wii U right now would make some more sense.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say go for it. You've got maybe Zelda on the way for Wii U and.... nothing else? Xbox is going to have a lot of great games going forward that the PS4 won't, but there is quite a bit of overlap as has been mentioned. Though honestly, if you have a halfway decent computer for indie games, I don't see the point in having a PS4 at all unless you're way into Uncharted.

This is like saying, I don't see the point in having an Xbox One unless you're way into Gears of War. It completely ignores other titles he may be interested in. Besides, if he had a decent computer, he would also be better off without the Xbox One.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergio said:
    @catsakimbo said:

This is like saying, I don't see the point in having an Xbox One unless you're way into Gears of War. It completely ignores other titles he may be interested in. Besides, if he had a decent computer, he would also be better off without the Xbox One.

There's just not that much exclusive stuff coming out for PS4 that's not also on PC. For better or worse, Xbox has more titles that require you have that particular hardware. I was going to put more titles than Uncharted, but I honestly couldn't think of anything coming out any time soon that requires a PS4.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By paulmako

Do you care about Persona 5?

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's just not that much exclusive stuff coming out for PS4 that's not also on PC. For better or worse, Xbox has more titles that require you have that particular hardware. I was going to put more titles than Uncharted, but I honestly couldn't think of anything coming out any time soon that requires a PS4.

That's not true, but I think there is clearly a bias from you considering the OP stated he already decided his PS4 is his main system, and you're questioning that decision.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergio said:
    @catsakimbo said:

That's not true, but I think there is clearly a bias from you considering the OP stated he already decided his PS4 is his main system, and you're questioning that decision.

OP's probably making the right choice. I've just been frustrated with Sony's crappy lineup recently :-\

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Never sell the Nintendo - that is all.

cooperb212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By cooperb212
    @sergio said:
    @catsakimbo said:

This thread is not about you. Nether is right you have an obvious bias against xbox one because you made the mistake of buying one without taking into account the games. How you thought buying an xbox one was a good idea when you just said you have no interest in the games makes no sense, you just did not Research anything and it cost you so now you want to take it out on a console.

To the OP.

Interested in Quantum break, Halo, Forza, Gears, Crackdown, Ori and the Blind forest, Scalebound get the Xbox one.

Only interested in a few games? Get an Xbox one in another time when it drops down in price and has more games.

Not interested in any of the games? Dont buy an xbox one.

cooperb212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay folks, again I'd like to say thank you for the input/advice/opinions. Appreciated.

I have decided against selling my Wii U, many of you made a good argument in regards to how similiar the Xbox One and PS4 are and I have to admit I will most probably always choose PS4 over the Xbox One when it comes to console gaming. Honestly I would most likely be buying an Xbox One for the likes of Halo and Forza but is that realistically enough for the cost of an Xbox One? Probably not. That said I'm not saying I wouldn't buy an Xbox One at some point in the future but maybe right now wouldn't be a smart purchase.

I still have a funny feeling that the new Zelda game will end up being released on Nintendo NX however. A friend did remind me about Xenoblade Chronicles X also hitting later this year, I'd entirely forgot about that. So maybe sticking with the Wii U right now would make some more sense.

Great choice your best off waiting another 1-2 years maybe get it when its 300$ or cheaper? Im thinking it will drop against soon now that PS4 is the same price. Everyone has there preference's when it comes to consoles and if you dont think there are enough games dont buy it. I own all three im happy with all of them but i have a slight preference to Xbox one just because i owned a 360 for so long and prefer the controller still.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is not about you. Nether is right you have an obvious bias against xbox one because you made the mistake of buying one without taking into account the games. How you thought buying an xbox one was a good idea when you just said you have no interest in the games makes no sense, you just did not Research anything and it cost you so now you want to take it out on a console.

It's called giving someone your opinion based on your own experiences. I bought the system too soon with few games worth playing, since I already owned a PS4. Kind of like how the OP already has a PS4, and there were a handful of games he wanted.

Buy hey, come right in the middle of a conversation, miss the point, and come off as an ass. You do you.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

I feel somewhat burned for buying my Xbox. I primarily play on PC but grabbed an Xbox for MCC and never really got to play it - my interest was gone by the time that game was working. I ended up putting a ton of time into Destiny (and loved doing it), so technically I got my money's worth. I just can't shake the feeling of I really didn't need it.

I think if you didn't have a PS4 it would be a good call - Xbox definitely has some good exclusives, but if I were you I'd wait.

Rare Replay is pretty sweet though...can you tell I'm conflicted over owning one?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I tend to see PS4 and XB One as equivalent this generation, at least this early. If you have one thyou don't need teh other unless you are bat-shit crazy about an exclusive. If you simpley MUST MUST play an exclusive you need the system, but otherwise it is one or the other.

I suppose since GameStop is offering $100 in credit (not cash) that's nothing to sneer at causllay. But, I always find trading is systems is a bad idea. Eventually you want that system for a day, a week, or a month and it not there.

Here is my advice, hold off buying an Xbox One. In six months you might see a better deal that gives you what you want at a better price...and you will still have the Wii U.

DocPorpoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

ok so i've got both and up until the backward compatibility announcement i would have (and did) tell people who asked which to get that it was a coin toss and to go with the one more of their friends had or which ever one had the first party franchise the love.

now you already have a ps4 and i don't know if you had or have a 360 but that feature (if it works) along with the xbone playing just about every video file type has pushed it up to my more used system at the moment. and halo 5 is pretty rad.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

As someone who has all three systems, there is way more value in owning a PS4 and a Wii U than a PS4 and an XBox One. There are certainly some good XBox One exclusives, but none of them are "must plays." Sunset Overdrive is really good, and Halo 5 is okay. Rare Replay is a nice package. But in comparison, Wii U has Splatoon, Mario Maker, Bayonetta 2, a bunch of Mario games, etc.

Now if you don't have a 360 and have a bunch of games already for it or have a bunch of games you want for it, then the XBox One's backwards comparability is a pretty nice feature. And if it weren't a choice between an XBox One and a Wii U, I can say I've found some value in all three consoles (though the least from my Xbox One, only because I had a PS4 first).

cooperb212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickhead said:

I feel somewhat burned for buying my Xbox. I primarily play on PC but grabbed an Xbox for MCC and never really got to play it - my interest was gone by the time that game was working. I ended up putting a ton of time into Destiny (and loved doing it), so technically I got my money's worth. I just can't shake the feeling of I really didn't need it.

I think if you didn't have a PS4 it would be a good call - Xbox definitely has some good exclusives, but if I were you I'd wait.

Rare Replay is pretty sweet though...can you tell I'm conflicted over owning one?

It depends alot on what you own. If you have a PC already then you can play Dead rising and Ryze and other games. If you dont have a gaming pc then xbox one will have alot more exclusives all just depends. If your a pc gamer usually its better to wait on the xbox. Since Microsoft has windows 10 some of there games will go to it but i highly doubt you will ever see halo on pc again since they need to sell xbox one's and need some kinda system seller.

cooperb212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergio said:
    @cooperb212 said:

It's called giving someone your opinion based on your own experiences. I bought the system too soon with few games worth playing, since I already owned a PS4. Kind of like how the OP already has a PS4, and there were a handful of games he wanted.

Buy hey, come right in the middle of a conversation, miss the point, and come off as an ass. You do you.

If you already had a PS4 you should have looked at the games and what you would play and realized you liked PS4's exclusives more or there were not enough. Im dont gonna come on here and bitch about wii u having no games because i bought it and dont like Nintendo's exclusives like mario and zelda. When you buy a system you should know the type of games Microsoft. Sony and Nintendo will make.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.