Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

So I just encountered my first Cyberdisk...

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Seemed like a typical day in the Xcom universe. Just intercepted and shot down a small UFO over some forest area in Russia. My team was quickly dispatched to mop up the remains and salvage any useful materials that would teach us more about this alien threat.

I probably should have known something was amiss when my team spend the first 1/4 of the mission exploring the landscape completely opposite of where the UFO crash was. That was a fun little exercise, let's write it off as a team camping trip for tax purposes.

Finally we see the outside of the wreckage, along with 3 or so floaters, of which my sniper gladly took care of with ease. With those threats eliminated at a distance, my team resumed the slow, and careful, approach towards the wreckage.

That was when we saw it...it was a UFO. Nothing fancy at all, just some Roswell esq UFO, this can't be anything hurtful, can it? Upon further investigation, and the realization that it has 3+ fucking bars of health, and a seemingly amazingly high dodge chance, my team whittled away most it's health before it even got an attacked. We should have killed it.

That was when the Matrix decided to come true, and the disk opened into it's fucking SQUID like structure. And it's first strike at my (completely grouped together) team? A grenade unlike anything made on Earth! KA-BOOM, goodbye 4/6 of my (Ironman) squad!

The remaining 2 can still avenge their comrades, the "thing" is almost dead! Well...it was, before it's little buddy, who was outside our field of vision, decided to come rolling up like he owned the place and give his big pal, Mr. Robo Squid, a nice repair job.

Needless to say another grenade later sealed the final chapter is this Xcom team's biography.

Fuck I love this game...and hate it. I'm scared to eventually get to Classic and Insane.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Never had an issue with the disk. Took them all out pretty easy.

russcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By russcat

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Me too. But given my heavies both had the "double damage to robots" perk by the time they showed up probably had something to do with it. Hit them with a double damage rocket as soon as they show up and you're golden.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Lukeweizer

"So".

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By clush

Yeah them disc thingies sure messed me up my first couple of playthroughs. But fret not, you'll learn how to deal with them soon enough. Right now i'm playing through classic ironman without any real problems (sofar...). Learning how to handle the shit the game relentlessly throws at you is what makes this game great. There's a real sense of achievement that i've been missing in a lot of games lately.

Bit of random advice that you can take as you will: although the game can definitely be lost in the field it can only be won on the geoscape.

Mogoping

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mogoping

Wait till you meet the Sectopod, it killed everything!

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ShaggE

All the coverage on GB had me prepared for the Cyberdisk, but those fucking Sectopods completely took me by surprise.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Phatmac

Scetopods are the fucking worst.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mogoping: @Phatmac: @ShaggE: Oh goody...I have not encountered this thing...now I'm very afraid.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By theguy

@Russcat said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Me too. But given my heavies both had the "double damage to robots" perk by the time they showed up probably had something to do with it. Hit them with a double damage rocket as soon as they show up and you're golden.

I started playing today and I have been giving my heavies that ability specifically because I have heard how much of a bitch the cyberdisks are.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Karkarov

Yeah you got caught with your pants down. It actually helps if you take out the little drones first then it can't heal. But nothing teaches you to keep your men spread out like a nade from a cyberdisc.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ShaggE

@takayamasama: Don't be TOO worried, I'm absolutely terrible at the game and my main squad survived two of them (one of which was in a terror mission). I don't want to spoil the surprise, so just know that heavies and snipers are key.

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By bushpusherr

With grenades you are kind of fucked if you are grouped together, yeah, but in general for the disks and later Sectopods, don't forget about your supression abilities if you can't take them down in one turn ;)

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @theguy

@Russcat said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

I started playing today and I have been giving my heavies that ability specifically because I have heard how much of a bitch the cyberdisks are.

I only had one heavy and did not pick up the double damage skill.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_Laughing_Man:I am in the same boat. My heavies all seem to die very fast. And before this I had never seen a robot type so I didn't think that skill was worth it. (unless floaters count)

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @takayamasama said:

@The_Laughing_Man:I am in the same boat. My heavies all seem to die very fast. And before this I had never seen a robot type so I didn't think that skill was worth it. (unless floaters count)

I never lost dudes. Well one gal. It was during my try to get the All female squat achievements 
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Those things will fuck you up.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By emkeighcameron

I never really had a huge problem with Cyberdisks (grenade or rocket them immediately - to kill the drones off) - but holy FUCK the Sectopods are nasty. If you don't like Discs - you ain't see shit yet

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Secto-motherfucking-pods man, secto-motherfucking-pods.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheHumanDove

sectopods all up in your shit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Based on the viewpoints of most the posts in this topic, I am led to believe that Cyberdisks are not what I should be worried about.

I shall give a status report when/if I meet these "sectopods", provided I live

Chtasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Chtasm

Back in my day, Cyberdisk death-splosions took out half a city block and Sectopods were nothing more than Reapers with guns on their heads!

Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Syndrom

never had a problem with them yet, but berserkers man, they rip up my squad if i don't gun them down fast enough.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By haggis

"And it's first strike at my (completely grouped together) team?"

Well, there's your problem. I learned early on from those damned poison bombs from the Thin Men not to group my squad together.

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By J12088

I just met my first "pod".

All I'll say is thank god i had my maxed out sniper in range or that could of been nasty.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Terramagi

@Syndrom said:

never had a problem with them yet, but berserkers man, they rip up my squad if i don't gun them down fast enough.

Eh, Berserkers are easy. Just leave them alone unless they approach. In which case, mow them down.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.