Best way to obtain this game besides ~$80 copies on ebay?

#1 Edited by knitlife (45 posts) -

I've had an ebay search running on this game for a few months now, and the prices have only trended upwards in that time (to ~$70 at auction and even higher for BIN).

I was looking at the free 30 day Gamefly trial as an alternative, with the assumption that the one rental will take up most of the month.

For those of us with a US Wii, are these two options (high price or Gamefly) pretty much the only options for obtaining/playing the game at this point, or are there others? I came back to console gaming earlier this year after a few years away and am still out of the loop on good rental/trading services or sites. Thanks!

#2 Posted by living4theday258 (678 posts) -
#3 Edited by MetalBaofu (1342 posts) -

@knitlife said:

I was looking at the free 30 day Gamefly trial as an alternative, with the assumption that the one rental will take up most of the month.

I was going to suggest that. You could use that Gamefly sub and use the "keep it" option. The "keep it" price on Gamefly right now shows as 54 bucks for me(I have an extra 10% off, though). Once you get the game and make sure it's not scratched up too bad or something, then you can keep it for that price and they will send you the case/manual. Then, you could use the rest of the free Gamefly month to rent some other stuff if you wanted. Or you could just rent that game for the month and not actually buy it. One of those seems to be the best option since the game is apparently hard to find now.

#4 Edited by believer258 (11553 posts) -
#5 Posted by Fallen189 (4931 posts) -

Pirate it

#6 Posted by TooWalrus (13127 posts) -

...$80? I should probably sell my copy...

#7 Posted by EVO (3846 posts) -

$80 isn't that expensive. Just buy it.

#8 Edited by believer258 (11553 posts) -

@EVO said:

$80 isn't that expensive. Just buy it.

Maybe it isn't for you, but $80 is a lot of money for most people, especially for a video game. I have a hard enough time bringing myself to pay $60 for a game (which I don't do often anymore), and $80 is unthinkable.

EDIT: $80 USD.

#9 Posted by Ezakael (909 posts) -

Glad I got my copy on release. This is definitely a major downfall of physical media, games becoming rare and super expensive. I'd say get the game while it's still only 20$ over retail. It's a great game and it's incredibly long.

#10 Edited by GrantHeaslip (1497 posts) -

Maybe call around game stores in the area and see if they have a used copy?

It also might be worth keeping an eye on retailer websites. While it's not in stock, I've found a used listing on futureshop.ca (who didn't carry it when it came out), presumably since they'll accept it as a trade-in.

Edit: Also, while I wouldn't usually endorse this, you could just find a Wii emulator and play it on your PC. If new copies are long gone and your only option is buying a hugely-marked-up used copy, piracy is justifiable in my eyes.

#11 Posted by Hailinel (23658 posts) -

@Ezakael said:

Glad I got my copy on release. This is definitely a major downfall of physical media, games becoming rare and super expensive. I'd say get the game while it's still only 20$ over retail. It's a great game and it's incredibly long.

Where are you seeing it that it costs $20? The game has never been under $50 anywhere I've looked.

Also, Nintendo used to sell the game directly through their own website, but it appears that option is no longer available.

#12 Posted by Ezakael (909 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Ezakael said:

Where are you seeing it that it costs $20? The game has never been under $50 anywhere I've looked.

Also, Nintendo used to sell the game directly through their own website, but it appears that option is no longer available.

I said 20$ OVER retail. Not that it was 20$.

#13 Posted by Hailinel (23658 posts) -

@Ezakael said:

@Hailinel said:

@Ezakael said:

You have words in the wrong order. If you want to say what you mean, it's that the game costs over $20 at retail. If you say it costs $20 over retail, it makes it sound that the game costs $20.

#14 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1497 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Ezakael said:

@Hailinel said:

@Ezakael said:

You have words in the wrong order. If you want to say what you mean, it's that the game costs over $20 at retail. If you say it costs $20 over retail, it makes it sound that the game costs $20.

For what it's worth, I read "$20 over retail" as a shorthand for "$20 over the retail price." "Over $20 at retail" would mean "more than $20," which I don't think is what he meant.

#15 Posted by Kidavenger (3483 posts) -

Even if you pay $80 for it, you are going to get most of that back if you sell it after you are done with it.

I bought it the day it came out in case I wanted to play it; it's still sitting on the shelf wrapped and I have no idea if I'll ever get around to it.

#16 Posted by Dagbiker (6938 posts) -

Easest way - go back in time and buy it from nintendo ( I still have a sealed copy I intend to play... someday. )

#17 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

@GrantHeaslip said:

@Hailinel said:

@Ezakael said:

@Hailinel said:

@Ezakael said:

For what it's worth, I read "$20 over retail" as a shorthand for "$20 over the retail price." "Over $20 at retail" would mean "more than $20," which I don't think is what he meant.

Uh yeah, I took it that way too. Hal's taking the crazy pills atm :P

#18 Posted by Hailinel (23658 posts) -

@PixelPrinny said:

@GrantHeaslip said:

@Hailinel said:

@Ezakael said:

@Hailinel said:

@Ezakael said:

So I am, apparently. :P I just had a brainfart.

#19 Posted by Celegus (82 posts) -

I finally got a copy new at Gamestop for $50. There were actually a few stores in my area that had a copy left. I'd keep checking with them.

#20 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

The BEST way? Well, if you mean cheapest, then you can hack your Wii and just play it for free. If you mean legally cheapest, then just buy it used at Gamestop and return it within 7 days or try to find somewhere to rent it.

That Amazon price is kind of crazy though.

#21 Edited by Cubidog1 (211 posts) -

I bought a used copy at Gamestop for 45 USD last month. I'm thinking about buying some new copies to sell in a few years when this game becomes rare. The Amazon prices for used versions of the game cost more than the game does new at Gamestop, which is stupid.

#22 Posted by Adaurin (186 posts) -

Yep@Cubidog1 said:

I bought a used copy at Gamestop for 45 USD last month. I'm thinking about buying some new copies to sell in a few years when this game becomes rare. The Amazon prices for used versions of the game cost more than the game does new at Gamestop, which is stupid.

Yep, I got my copy of Xenoblade and my Gamecube version of Twilight Princess that should go for a decent amount in 5-10 years.

#23 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

My local gamestop has like 10 copies of it.

#24 Posted by Ezakael (909 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@PixelPrinny said:

@GrantHeaslip said:

@Hailinel said:

@Ezakael said:

@Hailinel said:

@Ezakael said:

So I am, apparently. :P I just had a brainfart.

I come back home to see a little debate about my grammar >_>. Glad to know it was resolved because I really didn't know how to reply to your initial post. I knew it made sense, at least to me.

#25 Posted by kishinfoulux (2250 posts) -

I'm actually in the same boat as the OP. Didn't realize how rare this has become and forgot that it was a shitty ass Gamestop Exclusive (which almost makes me not want to buy it on principle). The cheapest a new copy goes for, on Ebay, is like $99. Amazon has copies for like well over $100.

Any other places I could pick this up?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.