Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xuan-Yuan Sword: The Gate of Firmament

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Mar 26, 2015

Qiong Zhi Fei(The Gate of the Heavens) A role-playing game based on Chinese mythology

Xuan-Yuan Sword EX

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By DarkbeatDK

So here's a game that looks pretty cool.

Asian countries outside Japan are mostly known for their MMOs, mobile games or Famicom knockoffs, but places like Taiwan does have a rich history of traditional video games, like the long-running Xuan-Yuan Sword series, which celebrates it's 25th anniversary with a Steam release of The Gate of Firmament.

Nobody loves a firm gate more than me, so I've just picked it up after seeing the wealth of positive reviews it's getting... also I really love all this Chinese stuff.

It doesn't seem like a game that will hog your GPU in anyway, but that doesn't mean that it can't be a fun and interesting RPG. Personally, I'm not super keen on the Pipe Mania-looking puzzles, but the rest looks compelling.

Here's a trailer.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Yeah I saw this on Steam and was intrigued. As a longtime player (nowadays more hoarder) of Jrpgs, I think it could be really cool to get such a different cultural take on it. It's too bad I just know it's gonna be another longform RPG I throw on the backlog and forget though. T.T

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

@tobbrobb: I hear ya. I'm in the same boat with JRPGs. Can't help hoarding them because what if one of them was the next Lunar, Skies of Arcadia, Shadow Hearts or other hard-to-get cult classic that people are clamoring for in 10 years? Gotta buy 'em all!

It's kinda dumb really, because most modern JRPGs are pretty bad and modern games are usually produced in such an overabundance that you'll never really have trouble finding a copy and yet I just bought Bravely Second today, because it has a collectors edition and what if that somehow wouldn't be available in a month or so?

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Thanks for pointing this out!

I watched some Let's play footage of this game, it looks like it has great style, pretty typical JRPG gameplay, but has production values that early/mid 360 era. I might give it a go, seems pretty different. Always neat to see games from parts of the world you don't normally see stuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.