Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Dec 08, 2016

The sixth chapter in the Yakuza series follows Kazuma Kiryu as he tries to unravel the events that lead to Haruka's hospitalization and the parentage of the infant child she has with her.

Essence of Heat Actions Not Appearing

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

I'm genuinely curious if there's something I'm missing with the Heat Actions in this game, especially with counters. Even though I've bought the gun, knife, and blunt object counters I rarely get prompted to perform them. It also seems as if the game is very picky about where you're standing, if you're locked on, etc. when it comes to heat actions.

Is there a way to reliably proc the counter heat actions, or is it just a matter of being attentive to when the game decides to allow it?

capybarathered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

For the knife and blunt weapons counter you're only prompted if they are attacking/swinging at you and you are NOT using the lock on. The gun counter I think you just need to be near them and not locked on?

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Honestly, the heat actions in general seem way more finicky in Yakuza 6 than previous games. I feel like the only heat prompt I reliably get is the one from grabbing one enemy while another is nearby.

Seems like for the weapon counters, you need to be a certain distance away, not blocking or locked on, and facing them while their attack animation is just starting up.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By TheChris

That’s because there are barely heat actions in it, among many the most basica heat actions are gone in 6 along with weapons etc.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mindbullet: that's kinda the impression I'm getting. After playing Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 1, it's a bit of a bummer. Those games were so forgiving with their Heat Actions in a way that made you feel super badass but I feel like I'm getting swatted around and knocked over way more in Y6. The hits feel weighty and the physics are great when they work, but I feel like I'm the victim of random flying objects and missed Heat Actions way more than I'm in control. The game seems much more balanced around using Extreme Heat mode than Heat Actions.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By TheChris

The new physics makes Kiryu harder to control, and makes the combat feel monotonous, needlessly chaotic. Barely any moves to break enemies guard, unlike previous games, and makes Kiryu look like a fool. Hokuto’s combat feels like traditional Yakuza combat, it’s also even faster and more over the top—That’s the way I want Yakuza’s combat. To ve video gamey.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

So if the biggest draw for me is the combat( i love the story and characters too but i love punching dudes more) would this game be a bummer? I am only up to yakuza 5 now though and have not played zero or kawami. I am probably going to get it either way though lol. I do like the singular focus of previous games over 4 and 5's multiple characters(mainly cause akiyama sucked)

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@oursin_360: Yakuza 6 is closer to 3 than 5 or 0, which could be great if you just want a Kiryu-centric game with a singular deliberate fighting style, but maybe not so great if you like some of the ways the has gameplay changed and expanded since then.

I don't think the combat is bad, but it's obvious this is the dev team feeling out the new engine and there's a bit of jank and messiness involved. I'd say it's finnicky and takes a while to find it's footing, but when it clicks it feels like a Yakuza game with some added weight behind your attacks.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By odinsmana

@oursin_360: I would agree with Mindbullet that the combat in the game feels very similar to Kiryu`s fighting style in the PS3 games (once you get used to it and upgrade it a bit at least). It`s a bit looser and has less heat actions, but throwing and kicking people all over the place in the new physics engine is a lot of fun, so it balances out (for me at least). Having only one character with one fighting style does lead to the game having the same problem that the Yakuza games before 4 had though where there is not enough to the fighting for a game as lengthy as a Yakuza game so the combat starts to feel repetitive near the end.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: I'm about halfway through now or maybe a bit more and I'd say there's still fun to be had. Extreme Heat mode is pretty brutal and fighting the weaker thugs and street folk when you've expanded your stats and heat actions is pretty good. There's a weight and connection to the moves that the older engine is missing, and once they iron out some of the physics wonkiness it'll be great. I'd still recommend it pretty heavily.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By OurSin_360

@the_nubster: @odinsmana: @mindbullet: Ah cool, thanks. Kiryu has my favorite fighting style honestly since i have started from the ps2 games and i haven't gotten bored yet. Wasn't able to play 3 since my disk drive broke on my ps3 and there is no digital release. Once i finish 5 i will probably get this one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.