Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Yakuza

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Dec 08, 2005

Yakuza, known in Japan as Ryu ga Gotoku (Like a Dragon), is an open-world action-adventure game with RPG elements, developed and published by Sega, in which you play the role of a Yakuza gangster known as Kazuma Kiryu. It was released in 2005.

How is this game?

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By dudacles

I saw it yesterday for 10 bucks. Is it worth that?

darkspirit138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By darkspirit138
    @dudacles: Apparently the Yakuza series is a great hit in Japan. So I would advise you to get it
    ElCapitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By ElCapitan
    @dudacles: Yes, definitely.
    dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By dagas

I bought Yakuza 2 a while ago and just now started to play it. I really like it, but is it worth getting Yakuza 1 even though the story has been spoiled for me? It's getting quite rare over here lately with the price increasing from 10 euros to 30 for a used copy.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By OllyOxenFree

You can actually just buy Yakuza 3 and have the game re-cap the story for you through cut-scenes.  You don't REALLY have to play 1 and 2 unless you want to.

yoctoyotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By yoctoyotta

The original Yakuza has an English voice cast and the controls aren't so hot. For $10, you can't go wrong, but my advice would be to pick up Yakuza 2, which has a very thorough recap of Yakuza 1s story, while also eschewing the English VO for the original and more authentic Japanese VO with English subtitles. Also, the fighting mechanics feel a lot better in 2. The story line is great, and the plethora of side missions are super addictive if you're into to those sort of things. Yakuza 3 for the PS3 is also another game I'd highly recommend.

omghisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By omghisam

I'm playing through it now. I'm about 6 hours in. The game is alright. The mission progression is rather linear but it lets you explore a bit between missions. The combat is enjoyable enough, which is good because there are random battles. The voice acting is bad, so I would recommend turning on the subtitles and muting the sound. For a five year old playstation 2 game it holds up okay.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dagas

I'm at chapter 7 I think in Yakuza 2. Will the game open up at some point? I want to go back to Kansai to do stuff I could not afford when I was there during the early game.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By shirogane
    @dagas said:
    "I'm at chapter 7 I think in Yakuza 2. Will the game open up at some point? I want to go back to Kansai to do stuff I could not afford when I was there during the early game. "

Yeah, if i remember correctly, you go back and forward quite a few times. Also, at the end you can travel freely between the different areas. 

Oh, and to the OP, get it for me if you don't want it yourself! That game is near impossible to find...Hell, i had a hard enough time getting 2.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Almost 2 years late, but I thought Yakuza was pretty lame. Had some potential, but all in all, I didn't think it was very good. And the background noise looped the same sound over and over again every couple seconds in the city, which was certainly migraine-inducing.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dagas
    Are there any more games that really lets you live life in Japan sort of speak? Apart from Shenmue, Yakuza and Persona 3/4.  

@TheGreatGuero
    said:
    " Almost 2 years late, but I thought Yakuza was pretty lame. Had some potential, but all in all, I didn't think it was very good. And the background noise looped the same sound over and over again every couple seconds in the city, which was certainly migraine-inducing. "
    I loved Shenmue, so I'm just glad for anything even remotely like it. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.