Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Agents of Mayhem

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Aug 15, 2017

Inspired by Saturday-morning cartoons, this single-player spin-off of the Saints Row series pits a roaming squad of anti-heroes against a massive evil organization in near-future South Korea.

Agents of Mayhem is a great premise turned into a mediocre game by repetition and low production values

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By bigsocrates

Agents of Mayhem is the kind of game that makes you question whether you’re wasting your life playing video games. That is a harsh indictment, and I stand by it, but ultimately Agents of Mayhem isn’t a terrible game. It’s a game with good ideas, good intentions, and insufficient resources to make those ideas work well. What you end up with is a game that was just fun enough to keep me playing but annoying and boring enough to give me a feeling of emptiness when it was all over. Unlike something like Horizon Zero Dawn, which created a unique and special world and told a gripping story, Agents of Mayhem feels like a whole bunch of filler holding…nothing together. It’s all mortar and no bricks.

The concept behind Agents of Mayhem, however, is rock solid. Combine Crackdown with Overwatch with a G.I. Joe super agent aesthetic and let the player loose in a futuristic Seoul, full of side-missions, giant buildings, cute little mascots, and big explosions. In order to keep things fresh Agents of Mayhem serves up 12 characters (with more to come as DLC, including a scummy Gamestop pre-order deal for Saints Row favorite Johnny Gat) with differing abilities and characteristics, and lets you roll with 3 of them at a time (except for some agent specific missions.) This system works decently well and while the game would definitely be better with co-op, I didn’t feel its absence too powerfully. If you’re feeling bored you can always change your squad up to use someone else, and I did this several times before settling on a trio of characters I felt complimented each other and sticking with them through the last third of the game.

The game has a promising start, but doesn't really escalate from there. It feels the same most of the way through.
    The game has a promising start, but doesn't really escalate from there. It feels the same most of the way through.

I was glad the game let me change things up on my own, because Agents of Mayhem can be boring. It can be very boring. The mechanics are not the problem (more on that in a bit), though they don’t help much. It’s a pretty straightforward run and gun third person shooter (no kneeling behind cover here, though some agents can cloak and run behind a corner out of danger.) Each agent has one weapon, which they can change a little bit through the “gadget” upgrade system, one special ability on a cooldown (such as shooting a bullet that induces fear in an opponent, or shooting a cluster of grenades) and an ultimate “Mayhem” ability that takes a very long time to charge up, or can be charged through a randomly dropping powerup. The Mayhem ability are supposed to be huge tide turners, but they mostly fall flat for me. One lets you shoot your chaingun without it overheating. Another induces fear in everyone around the character for a few seconds. They’re useful, but since you spend almost all your time fighting clusters of cannon fodder all it means is you can defeat one of those groups faster than you would have otherwise.

While the play styles vary between the agents (there’s a sniper with a bow, a ninja with a sword and shuriken, the chaingunner, a guy with a short range ice gun that freezes over and can be smashed into the ground for an AOE, a turret and electricity gun character etc…) there’s not a lot of variety within each character. The chaingun lady feels pretty much the same fully upgraded as she does when you first get her, and with your limited move set there’s not a lot you can do to change up your playstyle with her. The gadget upgrades might add damage over time to a weapon, increase the clip size, or change the status effect it inflicts, but with a few exceptions they don’t change the way a weapon feels or plays. That means that the variety has to come from level and task design, and here Agents of Mayhem falls very very flat.

Areas like this, where they clearly designed a level for a mission and made it stand out, are few and far between. Also the game was bloodier than I expected (though normal kills are not this brutal.)
    Areas like this, where they clearly designed a level for a mission and made it stand out, are few and far between. Also the game was bloodier than I expected (though normal kills are not this brutal.)

Agents of Mayhem repeats itself relentlessly. If you do a task once, other than in a boss fight, you can be pretty sure that you will do it again, likely in the same mission, and then again later in the game. Some of these simple tasks will be done again and again over the course of the game, to the point that they elicited frustrated sighs from me whenever they came up. Boy I hope you like blowing up clusters of explosive barrels because Agents of Mayhem loves to ask you to do that over and over again. I also hope you like delving into identical cookie cutter dungeons (called lairs) that are all gray and ugly, and fighting waves of enemies in them, because that’s Agents of Mayhem’s favorite trick. Sometimes there’s poison gas and you have to hit a few switches to escape to the next room. Sometimes the game literally just tells you to move on to the next room and you don’t have to do anything, which can make a supposed balls to the wall action game feel like the world’s worst walking simulator. There are some strings of missions where you delve into the same looking dungeons, completing the same objectives, over and over to the point where you might think you’re playing a horrible indie roguelike or a game from the very early PS2/Xbox era. Remember the library from Halo? This is much, much worse, though no one lair is quite that long (and the combat is not nearly as fun as Halo’s was, either at the time or now.)

Hope you like this hallway and aesthetic because you will see it probably 25-30 times before the game is done.
    Hope you like this hallway and aesthetic because you will see it probably 25-30 times before the game is done.

In addition to the repetition, Agents of Mayhem is full of jank. I encountered multiple bugs ranging from minor to a bluescreen crash of my PS4, and even when the game is working as intended it’s full of clipping and weird NPC behavior and cut scenes that trigger far from seamlessly. It needed significant polish and it’s clear that this was shipped either to meet a deadline or because the publisher didn’t have faith in it and didn’t want to spend any more money. To be fair, it is a completable video game, and not even a bad one, but it doesn’t feel finished.

And it’s not just the quickly made cookie cutter missions or the bugs that make it feel unfinished. There’s something very off about a lot of systems in the game. For example, you collect gadgets to modify your agents and “cores” to upgrade their abilities throughout the game. I ran out of gadgets to collect at about the half way mark (since I had them all) and I ended the game with 54 cores in my inventory. Considering that you only need 36 to fully upgrade your whole squad, that seems like a really weird balance (to be fair I did search for core fragments because I love Crackdown style traversal resource gathering, but the game was passing them out like candy by the end in loot chests and end of mission rewards.) On the flip side, none of my agents reached max level, and I was constantly low on cash to buy base upgrades and other items. The game gives you XP and cash for every mission, but it usually gives you about $2,500 and 2000 XP, whether at the start of the game or the end. By the end of the game you can get $1,700 just from blowing up a group of enemies, so having such a piddling sum as a mission reward just feels weird.

There are also 4 different character upgrade systems, a host of skins for characters weapons and vehicles (though I only collected a tiny percentage of those) and additional half baked systems like a world map where you can deploy characters to collect miniscule amounts of resources (basically useless), contracts, which require you to meet certain specific objectives either on your own or with other players in order to collect miniscule amounts of resources (basically useless), and a territory control metagame where you take over bad guys towers and then they take those towers back (both useless AND infuriating.) Finally there are overpowered consumable weapons that can be purchased for ingame currency and can do anything from unleashing a nuke to kill everyone to reviving your whole squad if you wipe.

This is one of the most substantial upgrades, but even it doesn't really cahnge how the character plays.
    This is one of the most substantial upgrades, but even it doesn't really cahnge how the character plays.

All of this, plus the cut and paste dungeon design and plans for adding agents, make me think that this was planned as a free to play game at some point. It doesn’t have any free to play hooks at present, and I am not sure what you would want to buy, but the concept of “quantity over quality” for so much of the content and the various types and levels of currency make me think that there were plans to make this free to play but it was decided it made more sense as a traditional $60 game.

It’s not worth $60. I would have been happy at about $20, but honestly I would probably have been just as happy to skip it altogether. It’s not that it’s totally without charm. The basic gameplay is fine. Unlike others I enjoyed the (very cheaply made) animated cut scenes; the voice acting is good, the graphics are reasonably nice (though the world is not very interactive and there was more pop-in than I expected on my PS4 Pro) and though there’s not enough music the music that’s there is pretty good, including a couple nice nods to K-pop (though this game should CLEARLY have a ton more K-pop.)

Some K-pop would make traipsing through the same hallway over and over more tolerable. Also note the mission objective is
    Some K-pop would make traipsing through the same hallway over and over more tolerable. Also note the mission objective is "enter next room." There isn't even anything to do in this hallway. Sometimes there are secret rooms off to the side, but generally there's nothing in them. It's baffling!

There’s also fun to be had in the story missions, which have a lot of the repetition of the rest of the game but at least also offer some unique encounters and story beats, and do create the feeling of playing through a season of a low budget G.I. Joe rip off (albeit with more cursing and blood than a cartoon like that would ever had.)

But the gameplay I’ve described as “fine” also feels pretty dated (this really does feel like a Crackdown sequel from 2011, except for the graphics and complex loot systems) and the open world activities are such garbage that just traversing the city collecting shards and loot chests is pretty much the only fun to be had outside the mission structure. The driving is functional but nothing more. The humor and writing ranges from bad to okay to the occasional line where I said “eh, alright, that was clever.” The connections to the Saints Row universe, other than a couple characters from the games, are extremely minor.

At times the city, with its cool skyscrapers and evil robot spider fortresses, can look really good. You could imagine a great game set in it, but this isn't that game.
    At times the city, with its cool skyscrapers and evil robot spider fortresses, can look really good. You could imagine a great game set in it, but this isn't that game.

It’s also not a very long game. I probably put 15 hours into it, and that was with unlocking all the characters and (regrettably) sampling a bunch of the side missions. I didn’t die once either (individual characters did but not the whole team), though I let the game set the difficulty for me and it never went above 7 so I probably could have bumped it up. I didn’t want to, because the problems this game have wouldn’t be solved by increased difficulty. Increased difficulty won’t make those cut and paste dungeons any less repetitive (or fix the inexplicable secret rooms that have no loot or purpose for existing inside the already boring as hell dungeons.) Increased difficulty won’t fix the bland side missions (or some of the story missions) or add some decent music when exploring the world (seriously, the game’s lack of interesting sound much of the time is a real problem.)

It’s an empty experience and when I was finished I felt myself wondering “Why did I play that? Why did I finish it? Why didn’t I read a book or listen to some music or just take a nap?” The game held my attention but at the bare minimum level, and nothing about it was ever satisfying or thrilling or joyful. Compared to something like Zelda, which felt like a portal into another world of adventure and whimsy, or even Quantum Break, which at least told a semi-competent story, Agents of Mayhem has that cheap off-brand drugstore chocolate feel to it. It’s sweet enough that it’s not unenjoyable, but when you’re done you just feel like you should have bought something more enjoyable if you were going to take in that many empty calories.

I was in the mood for a low-key open world game that wasn’t as intense in either story or gameplay as Horizon: Zero Dawn. I wanted another Sunseet Overdrive. I wanted Saints Row 2 again. Volition didn’t want to make that again, though. They wanted to make this. And they did. I’m just not sure who it’s for.

No Caption Provided

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This unfortunately looks like the result of setting the Saints Row team loose with drastically less resources, time, and budget than they need to deliver a Saints Row-caliber experience.

I'll still play it so I can judge for myself, but it's been a real bummer to see the game not resonate with people.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Honestly the lack of co-op killed my interest in this game. Even if it looked low budget and kind of bland, I would have made my own fun while playing with a friend.

chrispaul92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By chrispaul92

I think Jim Sterling's review really nailed so many things about this game. It's a seemingly ambitious game with great promise that ultimately comes off as if it was cheaply made. The poor writing also really hurts it along with the basically nonexistent mission design.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

It's too bad. I think the basics, like you say, of GI Joe action RPG basically are really good but in execution they didn't follow through. I think I may grab the game when it's real cheap, where I think it could be fun to grind through mindlessly.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By bigsocrates

@artisanbreads said:

It's too bad. I think the basics, like you say, of GI Joe action RPG basically are really good

I should be clear that this is not really an action RPG. It's just an action game. The RPG elements are minor. There is a leveling system and there are "skills" you can put points into and other similar systems, but it's all very shallow and, as I said, characters pretty much play the same when you get them as they do when substantially upgraded. The story is very linear (except for optional missions) and there's no conversation system or anything like that.

It's very light customization and doesn't even compare to something like Horizon Zero Dawn, which I barely thought of as an action RPG.

dietomaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm liking it honestly. It is by no means one of the best open world games, but I'm still enjoying my time with it so far (about 10 hours in). When I got this game, I was in the mood for a game with a big open-world checklist to fill out, and this certainly has that. I haven't unlocked all the agents yet, but everyone I've played so far has been pretty fun and just different enough. I'm a big fan of Rama, she's always on my team. I love a good archer.

I absolutely do wish the traversal got more robust as you went on though. Like let me climb buildings or something.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some might say it's the most disappointed game of the year. I didn't had high expectations for Mass Effect : Andromeda before someone asks. But i expected more from Volution this smells like , a publisher cutting there funding at some point. Even the music in this game is placeholder it's really disgusting, Don't buy this game at full price !

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bigsocrates

@dietomaha: I agree that the hero variety is decent, though I found Rama not all that useful because A) the lairs are too cramped for effective sniping and B) the game has so much cannon fodder and so many bullet sponge enemies that I couldn't output enough damage with her even chaining headshots together. Different playstyles I guess.

I will disagree that the game has a big check-list to fill out, though, primarily because after a certain point in the story Legion starts taking back outposts, which undoes the stuff you've cleared in that area. There's lots of open world stuff to do (though it's mostly all the same few simple activities) but it doesn't give me any sense of satisfaction for the above-stated reason.

Exploring for shards was fun in a Crackdown way. But Crackdown released in 2007, and IMO had more satisfying traversal, so it's hard to give them too much credit for that.

I will agree that in the right mindset the game can be enjoyable. I stand by my comparison to off-brand cheap candy. It's not unpleasant while you're consuming it, but you might regret it a little bit after the fact.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

@bigsocrates: For me it is definitely a shallow action RPG. It has status effects and everything. Just turns out the leveling is super shallow.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: Do you consider Shadow of Morder an RPG? Because I don't think most people do, but it has a much more fleshed out skill tree and a complex upgrade system with its runes. I'd argue that in some ways it's more of an action RPG than Agents of Mayhem. Agents of Mayhem has more loot, but that's about it, and the loot in Agents of Mayhem sucks.

I just don't think either game has enough RPG elements to be a true action RPG vs. an action game with RPG elements, but I guess it really just depends on your perspective.

dietomaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@dietomaha: I will disagree that the game has a big check-list to fill out, though, primarily because after a certain point in the story Legion starts taking back outposts, which undoes the stuff you've cleared in that area. There's lots of open world stuff to do (though it's mostly all the same few simple activities) but it doesn't give me any sense of satisfaction for the above-stated reason.

Fuuuuuck that. Especially the second part. That's like the number one no-no in my book for open world games. If I do something, I don't want to have to redo it ever again. I was really hoping that was just a story occurrence and it wouldn't happen out in the world. I just passed that part last night.

But really, the checklist I was referring to was the big status screen in the Ark, with the missions and crystals and collectibles, etc. Nothing on that screen (I ... hope) can be retaken.

Either way, what you said still makes me like the game a bit less...

Sam_lfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

After reading a couple reviews of this game, it seems like the talent drain from the writer's room had a deeply debilitating effect on this game. The repetitiveness of the combat could be forgiven if the game could at least make you laugh more often while you're playing. Such a shame that this game didn't come together.

ThePhantomPear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will try it out on Playstation Plus couple of months down the road.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I am getting rid of my copy today. I've played maybe...6-8 hours and unlocked around half the roster. There was maybe 20% of a game I wanted to play. Anytime I was about to unlock a character I thought might be interesting it was dumb...this game is baffling to me.

So far this year has been rather disappointing to me: Mass Effect: Andromeda, Lawbreakers, and now Agents of Mayhem...

gijoeverde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oes anyone miss THQ? They did right by Saints Row the Third: huge voice cast, massive city, better-than-gaming-deserves writing, better emotes than a MMO and a it was long game. It was the first console game I felt had good PC controls; it was the first time I could drive well with a keyboard and mouse. They tried to save the community center with SR4, but the company was already doomed. Agents of Mayhem has a lot of in-universe lore built, but I don't know if the writing talent was lacking or pressured to do too much in too little time. Same with the Agents, polish is lacking.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By dichemstys

This game for me is a great podcast game.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Watch this and tell me you aren't a little bit mad

What happened to this game?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.