Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

Alan Wake's sales not doing so well

• 122 results
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#101  Edited By Jeust
    @DeShawn2ks: I meant in the facts that were common to all endings. The killer twist felt tacked in, like a reviewer said, it didn't felt natural, just clever. 
    yani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By yani

What I tend to do with single player only  games like AW, is wait for the price to drop.  I'm doing the same with Heavy Rain, the game isn't going to change at all and I don't have to worry about people moving on from the mp.

Remedy25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By Remedy25

I don't buy games as often as I used to. I often lose interest very rapidly. But I bought Alan Wake the day it hit the shelves as I'd been seen the QL and knew I love the game and I did, I got exactly what I wanted. 

I knew nothing what-so-eve about RDR. My friends were talking about RDR, shortly after my purchase. All the things that intended to do and I got rather interested. The actually process of doing things such as: stalking and skinny a bear, sounded rather neat. I bought RDR (without actually having the money) and although I really, really enjoyed Alan Wake if knew about RDR before buying AW, I probably wouldn't have bought Alan Wake. The general impression I get is that people are waiting to pick it up on the cheap.

mastrbiggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#104  Edited By mastrbiggy
    @FakePlasticTree: It says psychological action thriller which it is.  The story and themes half way through the game become a horror story, like the narrator says.  I guess its a mix or thriller/action/horror, but it is hardly a survival horror.  At least that's the vibe I got.
    larryrules138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#105  Edited By larryrules138

I think it boils down to the economy and wanting to get one's money's worth. Paying $60 for eight hours of entertainment is a pretty shitty deal, especially when you've got a game like RDR staring in your face which boasts an open world that you could get lost in doing random things for longer than the entire runtime of Alan Wake. Personally, since I can't afford to just throw $60 around like it's nothing I'm going to be looking for the product that gives me the highest return on my investment, and that isn't Alan Wake. I'm a PC gamer primarily, and as much as I'd like to be able to play Alan Wake on my preferred platform, it's a smart idea for them to keep this console-bound; a game with a high pricetag and low playtime is sure to get heavily pirated. Piracy exists on the consoles too, but if this thing hit PCs I'm sure it'd be a feeding frenzy of epic proportions on torrent sites.

Of course the problem could be entirely unrelated to monetary difficulties. Another possibility could be that it may be unclear to the general public what this game actually is. Shooter? Survival horror? Oh, look, a Rockstar game set in the Wild West.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
    Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie
    @ninjakiller said:
    " Oh hi I'm Alan Wake, you guys should buy me because I'm deep and have an involving storyliRDR SMASH PUNY ALAN WAKE RAR!!! "
    The fact is, Red Dead is the more engaging story. Bought 'em both but really wish I would have just Gameflyed Alan Wake. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Alan Wake but for $60? Definitely should have held off and rented it like everyone else.
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#107  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I also fear for all of these racing games that have just come out. Not only are they still in the shadow of RDR, but they've probably split the market and forced many racing game fans to choose just one of them.

The number of people on GB that have played Split/Second and Blur is scary low. Not to mention the fact that I've generally only seen about 1500-2500 people online playing Blur at any one time. Those number seem pretty low for a brand new game.

Avatar image for fakeplastictree
    FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By FakePlasticTree
    @mastrbiggy said:
    " @FakePlasticTree: It says psychological action thriller which it is.  The story and themes half way through the game become a horror story, like the narrator says.  I guess its a mix or thriller/action/horror, but it is hardly a survival horror.  At least that's the vibe I got. "
    Well, the way survival horror games have evolved they're all action games now. Resident Evil and Silent Hill are proof enough of that. I'd consider Alan Wake in the same vein as those franchises. 
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#109  Edited By Willy105

I don't think it's because RDR.

I just think it's not a very mainstream game for the system. Games like Alan Wake are popular on the DS and PC, not on the Xbox 360.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#110  Edited By Undeadpool

I think we're forgetting that most consumers of videogames aren't the kinds of people who come on the internet to enthuse about and learn about videogames. Those people are going to walk into Best Buy or Gamestop or wherever and look at the shelf. On that shelf, hypothetically, they will see two games. One that they have seen on TV, billboards and know basically what it's about (they may even know the name Rockstar), and one with a title that makes reference to a person they've never heard of. They know nothing about the game itself. Which one does the average consumer pick up?

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#111  Edited By ISuperGamerI

I bought both games cause Best Buy had a $20 discount deal but I haven't played Alan Wake yet since I wanna beat RDR first. I don't think it's gonna affect the developer that much since they've already stated that a sequel is in the works.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By davidwitten22

I would totally buy Alan Wake but it's $60 and I don't have a 360 :(.

larryrules138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By larryrules138
    @Undeadpool said:
    " I think we're forgetting that most consumers of videogames aren't the kinds of people who come on the internet to enthuse about and learn about videogames. Those people are going to walk into Best Buy or Gamestop or wherever and look at the shelf. On that shelf, hypothetically, they will see two games. One that they have seen on TV, billboards and know basically what it's about (they may even know the name Rockstar), and one with a title that makes reference to a person they've never heard of. They know nothing about the game itself. Which one does the average consumer pick up? "
    I think this applies moreso to parents. Kids definitely go online to discuss games, take a look at Gamespot. Place is infested with 13 year olds.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#114  Edited By Undeadpool
    @larryrules138 said:
    " @Undeadpool said:
    " I think we're forgetting that most consumers of videogames aren't the kinds of people who come on the internet to enthuse about and learn about videogames. Those people are going to walk into Best Buy or Gamestop or wherever and look at the shelf. On that shelf, hypothetically, they will see two games. One that they have seen on TV, billboards and know basically what it's about (they may even know the name Rockstar), and one with a title that makes reference to a person they've never heard of. They know nothing about the game itself. Which one does the average consumer pick up? "
    I think this applies moreso to parents. Kids definitely go online to discuss games, take a look at Gamespot. Place is infested with 13 year olds. "
    You, sir, are not wrong, but then let's boil down that argument further: A 13 year old is more likely to buy a game in which you ride around shooting people at random or going online and screaming racial slurs while shooting people at random (I don't mean to downplay the INCREDIBLE plot and characters of Red Dead, but I remember being 13 too...) or a nuanced horror/drama from a company they've probably never heard of and which is only single player?
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#115  Edited By iamjohn

Has anyone mentioned yet that the article is probably not trustworthy because they cite VGChartz?

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#116  Edited By grilledcheez

Well, I was in the Alan Wake vs. RDR boat...I chose the game that would last a lot longer, RDR.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#117  Edited By TheGreatGuero

They should have known better than to challenge the King.

larryrules138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By larryrules138
    @Undeadpool said:
    " @larryrules138 said:
    " @Undeadpool said:
    I think this applies moreso to parents. Kids definitely go online to discuss games, take a look at Gamespot. Place is infested with 13 year olds. "
    You, sir, are not wrong, but then let's boil down that argument further: A 13 year old is more likely to buy a game in which you ride around shooting people at random or going online and screaming racial slurs while shooting people at random (I don't mean to downplay the INCREDIBLE plot and characters of Red Dead, but I remember being 13 too...) or a nuanced horror/drama from a company they've probably never heard of and which is only single player? "
    Yeah I think it's a safe bet that your average American teenager isn't going to take an interest in Alan Wake. Even adults, too; out of all my friends, the only ones who expressed interest (or even knew about) Alan Wake were female, and even still it was just a few of them. All my male friends were too busy nutting over RDR. So I think Alan Wake definitely appeals to a smaller slice of the market, which makes it kind of weird that they released this same-day in North America as RDR. Alan Wake seems really polished and an excellent game in its own right, but with something niche like this released simultaneously with the next big Rockstar game it seems almost like intentional foot-shooting or just a lack of marketing strategy.
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#119  Edited By Bones8677

I think one of the main problems is that it's a hard sell. It's a relatively short game with no co-op or multiplayer and little re-playability. Full price is a little too much to ask for a game like that.

Avatar image for thechriseverson
    thechriseverson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By thechriseverson

I for one have rented Alan Wake from Boomerang... I'm wondering if this is what allot have done?

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Virago

That's sad. I think it came out at a bad time; RDR is waaaay more popular.

PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#122  Edited By PJ

All I have to say is Microsoft droped the fucking ball on Alan Wake. Its an awesome game that should have gotten more attention. I'd rather play Alan Wake for a third time then play RDR to be honest. Not shitting on RDR or anything, Alan Wake is just that great.  

And you got to hand it to the guys at Remedy. You may bitch about them taking a long ass time whit the game but considering that they build everyting from skratch whit under 40ppl on staff and completly changed the game half way through development, I'd say that's really fucking impressive. Compare that to the 200+ppl on Assassing Creed 2, and that took 2 years to make on an exsisting game engine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.