Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

Is The Writer good DLC?

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Venatio

So I finished Alan Wake a while ago, loved it but the ending was a gigantic cliffhanger. I bought it packaged with Forza 3 and it was a download code so I didn't get "The Signal" and that really bummed me out

I don't wanna pay 560 msp for it but I'll pay 280 for The Writer that's on sale, is it good? Should I play the other DLC first? WHat happens in that one?

Also, does anyone have an extra download code? I'd really appreciate it

sheetsy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By sheetsy77
    @Venatio:  I've been wondering this as well. I've finished Alan Wake a while ago and I heard of the Writer DLC but never got around to buying it. The copy of Alan Wake from gamefly has been sitting there for ages.....
    rockinkemosabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By rockinkemosabe

There are some good moments in The Writer and it's much better than The Signal. So yes, I think you should play it if it's gonna be on sale. 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By xyzygy

Yes it's amazing. It's a lot better than the signal (which I also thoroughly enjoyed) and it's longer than it too. Achievements are fun to get in it too. Get it now!

Also if you haven't played The Signal I suggest you check it out too. Play it first because they're both story related obviously.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By XenoNick

I thought I'd pick it up for 280 points. Enjoyed the main game and The Signal was pretty decent. Can't find out until amoro if it's good though as my mate has my copy.
    I think you would need to play The Signal first. Can't say for sure though.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By GunstarRed

It has some really good moments and has a couple of really wonky platforming sequences, some of the more insane stuff is really impressive but the ending will probably leave you colder than the one on the disc. Its definately worth 280 points.
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By wrighteous86

It also ends on a cliffhanger, but more of a "here's where we're taking the sequel" kind of cliffhanger than a "what the fuck does this mean" cliffhanger.

It's more plot-heavy than The Signal (with some very subtle allusions to questions from the main game, like Mr. Scratch), and they do some really creative things with the environments. It's better than The Signal and I think it's definitely worth picking up if you enjoyed Alan Wake.

I think you probably need to know what happened in The Signal to understand The Writer, but I wrote a really in-depth plot synopsis for both DLC on th Alan Wake page here on GB if you want to read up on The Signal and then play The Writer.
    Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Must be worth that, I might even get it myself. Didn't like the main game a massive amount tbh but I did enjoy the Signal - showed a decent amount of imagination.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Venatio

Anyone wanna fill me in on what "The Signal" was all about? Or point me towards something that explains?

Just don't give me google

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By phish09

"Good" is purely subjective, but I enjoyed it.  I think, if you're into the game, you should play it because if there does end up being an Alan Wake 2, both pieces of DLC will certainly tie into it.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wrighteous86
    @drag said:
    " Must be worth that, I might even get it myself. Didn't like the main game a massive amount tbh but I did enjoy the Signal - showed a decent amount of imagination. "
    They go farther in that direction in The Writer, so you'd probably like it more than The Signal. I don't remember it being quite as combat focused either, which I thought was a good thing.
    Dread612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Dread612

No, its not worth the 30-45 min of gameplay. Just goto youtube and search to watch the ending to the story.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By chilibean_3

The ending to Alan Wake made me kind of hate the game.  I played the DLC chapters a few months after beating the normal game and they made me realize how much I really enjoyed the game.  The DLC for sure clears up the ending and more.  I say the DLC is pretty much essential.  

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By wrighteous86
    @Venatio said:
    " Anyone wanna fill me in on what "The Signal" was all about? Or point me towards something that explains?Just don't give me google "
    Go to the Alan Wake page here on GB. I did a pretty detailed (but quick) synopsis of both DLC in separate sections.
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By EVO

It's not good, it's excellent.

jaymorgoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jaymorgoth

I found it worth the playthrough. If you like the game and are interested in the story it's a must, there are some things revealed that really flesh out Alan and the world. And like everyone says it gives you a pretty good idea of where a sequel will go if they make one.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Oldirtybearon

BOTH THE SIGNAL AND THE WRITER ARE EXCELLENT ADD-ONS TO ALAN WAKE SO BUY THEM YOU PINKO COMMIE NUTHUGGERS

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By ReyGitano
    @EVO said:
    " It's not good, it's excellent. "
    I have to say, I wasn't the biggest fan of Alan Wake and the experience left me with a sour taste in my mouth, but I had already brought the DLC so I went through them anyways. Holy cow, those are excellent set pieces that pretty much redeemed Alan Wake as a series for me. I can't wait for the sequel if it's more of that.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CL60

I have yet to finish The Signal. I played through the game on hard, and just was so burnt out by the end that I didn't feel like playing anymore, I was collecting every collectible I could, but by the end I just couldn't do it anymore, and just ran passed everything. I enjoyed the game though. Thinking of playing the signal, then buying the writer.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By vidiot

Sadly, this game suffers from "Actual Ending is in DLC syndrome". I really enjoyed Alan Wake, but it does abruptly end and the actual ending is very convoluted. Both The Signal and especially The Writer nail down the cerebral uncertainty like a nuclear bomb to a painting. In retrospect, it's quite needed and probably should have been on the disk.

The cliffhanger for The Writer especially, is very exciting where that sequel can go.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By niamahai

Sadly you really need both to understand how the game really ends (it also paves the way for the sequel)

i figure that about 3mths from now there will be a sales for "The Writer" if you are willing to wait.

DrMcKittrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DrMcKittrick
    @niamahai said:
    " Sadly you really need both to understand how the game really ends (it also paves the way for the sequel)

i figure that about 3mths from now there will be a sales for "The Writer" if you are willing to wait.

"
    This.  If you don't play the DLC then you're going to miss the continuation of the story. 
    amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By amomjc
    @Wrighteous86 said:
    It also ends on a cliffhanger, but more of a "here's where we're taking the sequel" kind of cliffhanger than a "what the fuck does this mean" cliffhanger.

I honestly do not think you can explain this DLC's ending better than what this man has said.
    Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Here's the review I had for it with The Luchazine.

No Caption Provided

EDIT: Full size here.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.