Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

My thoughts on Alan Wake... Sequel Suggestions

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sarnecki

So i just finished the game, and I wanted to get some thoughts down while they're fresh. 

It's a shame that this game is being billed as a "scary", or "horror" game, or at least, it's a shame I came into it expecting to be creeped out.  It's an action game, with some  psychological thriller aspects and interesting twists.  Perhaps all the mentioning of Stephen Kings name was misleading, not in plot or tone, but in it's capacity to scare me.  As an action experience, it's great.  There was a point early in the game I was incredibly impressed.  This felt like the new Dead Space; A wonderful surprise, a gem with only minor flaws.  But as the game went on the repetitive combat, and the linearity of the experience dragged it down.

Alan Wake is a game that demands the Deadly Premonition treatment.  If ever a game demanded an open world take, this one is it.  The environments are beautiful(As a resident of BC, I really appreciated the beauty of the game, specifically the loon.  Every time I hear a loon call it takes me to a special place) but the problems come when you realize that this beautiful enviroment has nothing to do in them.  You get strung along down narrow paths, and then solve some frustratingly simple ( and there for redundant) puzzles.  I'm not asking for Portal, but why include a puzzle if it's just something in your way that steals 20 seconds of your time and doesn't require thought?  Considering the games interesting and unique structure, it really could have been cool to be able to drive around and talk to folks, take puzzles at your own speed etc.

Which leads to my next issue.  The first few times you're attacked by the taken are actually very effective.  Until you fight more of them.  And more.  And then some more.  The games biggest issue for my money is the extreme lack of enemy variety.  The game lost me most when absolutely nothing new happened.  Ever.  There's townsfolk, and once you blast away hundreds of them they stop being scary.  By the end of the game I had only been scared by a startle here and there, but they just aren't scary when you can literally flash em and blast them so incredibly easily.  Perhaps the designers should have reconsidered how to design the Taken, and look at games like Silent Hill in order to create some legitimately frightening villains...  The other enemies are possessed birds and objects, and they're essentially non enemies because they're so simple.  t's awesome the first time you fight the crows and you think about all the other critters in the woods that could be Taken...  Wolves, Cougars... At one point you even pass a BEWARE OF BEARS sign, I was so excited, flashing back to one of my favorite movies The Edge and the grizzle bear...  But nothing happened.   There are no surprises, no shocking reveals. Once you've learned how to deal with the Taken you're good.  The game is both badly in need of a back to the drawing board to make their enemies scary, and desperately in need of enemy variety. 

The soundtrack is great, the graphics are fantastic, etc etc.  But ultimately the way I see it is that this is a horror game that isn't scary and an action game which is repetitive and not terribly difficult, which really holds it back from being that gem of the year.  So, in closing, for the sequel I want to see...

1.  Some open world elements and game play.  
    2.  Much more enemy variety, especially considering the opportunities with the wild life.
    3.  Maybe a re design of the scary elements of the game.  Instead of a huge tornado that flies around screeching obnoxiously, make the "force" chasing you something more subtle.  Instead of possessed objects that scream loudly and shake violently, tone them down.  The less "whaaaaaaaaaa" high energy crazy these things are, the creepier they will be.  This was my major complaint with Dead Space; The Necromorph's would benefit from feeling like actual animals, like the first alien film.  They'd be creepier if they acted like creatures instead of cartoons, who's only purpose is to screech loudly and chase you down.

Do you guys have any thoughts or improvements you would suggest for a sequel?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Jeust

Perhaps all the mentioning of Stephen Kings name was misleading, not in plot or tone, but in it's capacity to scare me.      

Stephen King's stories aren't always scary, just disturbing accounts into the horror fiction.  

Alan Wake is a game that demands the Deadly Premonition treatment.  If ever a game demanded an open world take, this one is it.  The environments are beautiful(As a resident of BC, I really appreciated the beauty of the game, specifically the loon.      

The problem is the time needed to make open world scenarios as impressive. This is the same reason why Square didn't make towns in FFXIII. To make something in large scale in HD looking impressive needs a lot of work and money. More than they sunk with the linear game.

By the end of the game I had only been scared by a startle here and there, but they just aren't scary when you can literally flash em and blast them so incredibly easily.  Perhaps the designers should have reconsidered how to design the Taken, and look at games like Silent Hill in order to create some legitimately frightening villains...      

Silent Hill games also don't have a lot of different enemies, especially Shattered Memories. I for once didn't care about the lack of variety, as the enemies fitted the scenario laid before.  Could be more and more varied, still they did their job well. Maybe you should think less about the game you're experiencing, and try to sink more in the actual emotions the game tries to communicate. 

But ultimately the way I see it is that this is a horror game that isn't scary and an action game which is repetitive and not terribly difficult, which really holds it back from being that gem of the year.      

This game was called by Remedy an action thriller, not a survival horror game, and every game that features otherworldly themes is an horror game. Look at Deadly Premonition.   

It will be difficult for that to happen. 

Maybe a re design of the scary elements of the game.  Instead of a huge tornado that flies around screeching obnoxiously, make the "force" chasing you something more subtle.  Instead of possessed objects that scream loudly and shake violently, tone them down.  The less "whaaaaaaaaaa" high energy crazy these things are, the creepier they will be.  This was my major complaint with Dead Space; The Necromorph's would benefit from feeling like actual animals, like the first alien film.  They'd be creepier if they acted like creatures instead of cartoons, who's only purpose is to screech loudly and chase you down.     

The game isn't an survival horror game. I think you're overthinking the game and horror games a little. Don't think too much, just experience what is there to savour, as in the end the game is just "another" game, not the product of your imagination. Don't let your expectations get the best of you.

From a sequel i just wanted a little more of variation on the gameplay, more daylight scenes, for the incredible graphics and variation, and the same Alan Wake. 
    Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Sarnecki
    @Jeust said:
    "  

Perhaps all the mentioning of Stephen Kings name was misleading, not in plot or tone, but in it's capacity to scare me.      

Stephen King's stories aren't always scary, just disturbing accounts into the horror fiction.  

That's fair enough.  The criticism seems kind of half hearted.  I'm okay w0ith them wanting to make an action thriller, but I got into my mind Kings better known works, The Shining etc.  Truth be told I think I might have enjoyed this story more as a King novel. 

Alan Wake is a game that demands the Deadly Premonition treatment.  If ever a game demanded an open world take, this one is it.  The environments are beautiful(As a resident of BC, I really appreciated the beauty of the game, specifically the loon.      

The problem is the time needed to make open world scenarios as impressive. This is the same reason why Square didn't make towns in FFXIII. To make something in large scale in HD looking impressive needs a lot of work and money. More than they sunk with the linear game.

This doesn't hold up as well.  You're team is small and you're not capable of building big games?  Hire more employees.  Expand.

By the end of the game I had only been scared by a startle here and there, but they just aren't scary when you can literally flash em and blast them so incredibly easily.  Perhaps the designers should have reconsidered how to design the Taken, and look at games like Silent Hill in order to create some legitimately frightening villains...      

Silent Hill games also don't have a lot of different enemies, especially Shattered Memories. I for once didn't care about the lack of variety, as the enemies fitted the scenario laid before.  Could be more and more varied, still they did their job well. Maybe you should think less about the game you're experiencing, and try to sink more in the actual emotions the game tries to communicate. 

You had me into you literally said think less.  If I wanted to turn my brain off for entertainment I'd take heroine.  They did fine, but a sequel would benefit from some real thought to the enemies and more specifically the game play behind the different enemies.

But ultimately the way I see it is that this is a horror game that isn't scary and an action game which is repetitive and not terribly difficult, which really holds it back from being that gem of the year.      

This game was called by Remedy an action thriller, not a survival horror game, and every game that features otherworldly themes is an horror game. Look at Deadly Premonition.   

Fair enough.  You'd think a game that was so vividly and obvious trying to be "spooky" would be able to muster up scares though.  I mean they have jump scares galore when flashing to Alice.  It's obvious they're trying to scare you, but their heart just isn't in it.

It will be difficult for that to happen. 

Once again, expand the scope of the game if you're able with the sequel.  The source of some of the best art is adversity. 

Maybe a re design of the scary elements of the game.  Instead of a huge tornado that flies around screeching obnoxiously, make the "force" chasing you something more subtle.  Instead of possessed objects that scream loudly and shake violently, tone them down.  The less "whaaaaaaaaaa" high energy crazy these things are, the creepier they will be.  This was my major complaint with Dead Space; The Necromorph's would benefit from feeling like actual animals, like the first alien film.  They'd be creepier if they acted like creatures instead of cartoons, who's only purpose is to screech loudly and chase you down.     

The game isn't an survival horror game. I think you're overthinking the game and horror games a little. Don't think too much, just experience what is there to savour, as in the end the game is just "another" game, not the product of your imagination. Don't let your expectations get the best of you.  From a sequel i just wanted a little more of variation on the gameplay, more daylight scenes, for the incredible graphics and variation, and the same Alan Wake.  "

Once again, turning your brain off is a horrible ideology to have, but you're right about expectations.  Expectations killed this game a little bit for me.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Jeust
    @Sarnecki:  

You have a problem with your formation. Sometimes it happens.  

This doesn't hold up as well.  You're team is small and you're not capable of building big games?  Hire more employees.  Expand.    

That in theory could happen, though imagine what Square said, and it has 3338 employees. So it is kind of a big deal constructing such a game.   

They did fine, but a sequel would benefit from some real thought to the enemies and more specifically the game play behind the different enemies.    

I agree, but in face of what the game provides, don't let it dissuade you from having fun. 

Expectations killed this game a little bit for me.    

That's the problem with them. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.