Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

Question about ending (don't spoil!)

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By bhhawks78

Ok I rented this through gamefly, I'm up towards I think the end of episode 2. I'm on the fence about this game in general.

I've heard lots of talk about the ending being open ended and DLC, is it the type of ending like prince of persia 2008 where they essentially are saying "you want an ending lol? buy this dlc!" or is it a satisfying ending and the dlc will just expand stuff?  If it is just a ploy for dlc I'll just pack this up and be done with it.  Thanks for the help and not spoiling.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Hmmm some people might "find" a conclusion for themselves.  Basically make up a BS story to themselves so that they can feel a conclusion after finishing the game.

Later DLC may explain more so from that you might as well stop playing now.

Don't get me wrong, the game is fine for the most part but from what you're saying you don't even want to play through it.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Jeust
    @bhhawks78 said:

" Ok I rented this through gamefly, I'm up towards I think the end of episode 2. I'm on the fence about this game in general.  I've heard lots of talk about the ending being open ended and DLC, is it the type of ending like prince of persia 2008 where they essentially are saying "you want an ending lol? buy this dlc!" or is it a satisfying ending and the dlc will just expand stuff?  If it is just a ploy for dlc I'll just pack this up and be done with it.  Thanks for the help and not spoiling. "

The ending was better than for example Dead Space for me. And the next dlc comes as the experiencing the same story through another character, so i can say that it's a fitting ending, i personally liked it very much, and though it can leave you hanging about what will happen afterwards, it is satisfying, and a fitting ending for the game. it's as Mass Effect 1 was to the Mass Effect trilogy. 
    bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bhhawks78
    @OllyOxenFree said:
    " Hmmm some people might "find" a conclusion for themselves.  Basically make up a BS story to themselves so that they can feel a conclusion after finishing the game.  Later DLC may explain more so from that you might as well stop playing now.   Don't get me wrong, the game is fine for the most part but from what you're saying you don't even want to play through it. "
    Yeah I mean I honestly don't like the combat at all, and am on the fence about the rest of the game, and there's basically zero chance I'll buy the DLC for a rental so I guess I'll send it back and maybe pick it up when there is a "goty" edition with all the dlc included  down the road.

Thanks
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jeust
    @bhhawks78: Still there probably won't be a new or definitive ending, as a sequel has been confirmed. 
    bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bhhawks78
    @Jeust said:
    " @bhhawks78: Still there probably won't be a new or definitive ending, as a sequel has been confirmed.  "
    Well a 100% ending and an ending that allows for a sequel but is still satisfying, and a nonsense ending used to drive dlc sales are three different things.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jeust
    @bhhawks78 said:

" @Jeust said:

" @bhhawks78: Still there probably won't be a new or definitive ending, as a sequel has been confirmed.  "

Well a 100% ending and an ending that allows for a sequel but is still satisfying, and a nonsense ending used to drive dlc sales are three different things. "
    The ending is satisfying. The thing is that this like a Stephen King's novel, or from Lovecraft, where you have to piece the conclusion together. You have to take your whole experiences with the game, and prior, to piece what happened and is happening in Bright Falls. The game ending doesn't let almost any doubt about what happened before ending, and gives a sensible and fitting conclusion based on the facts you experience in the game. While letting the door opened for the sequel. There is no nonsense there, and the main drive that was Wake's aim during the whole game is accomplished, just like Sheppard killed the villain, and saved the day in ME1.  

People generally don't find it satisfying because it isn't the traditional ending on movies or games. 
    bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bhhawks78
    @Jeust said:
    " @bhhawks78 said:

" @Jeust said:

Well a 100% ending and an ending that allows for a sequel but is still satisfying, and a nonsense ending used to drive dlc sales are three different things. "
    The ending is satisfying. The thing is that this like a Stephen King's novel, or from Lovecraft, where you have to piece the conclusion together. You have to take your whole experiences with the game, and prior, to piece what happened and is happening in Bright Falls. The game ending doesn't let almost any doubt about what happened before ending, and gives a sensible and fitting conclusion based on the facts you experience in the game. While letting the door opened for the sequel. There is no nonsense there, and the main drive that was Wake's aim during the whole game is accomplished, just like Sheppard killed the villain, and saved the day.  "
    Alright thanks, maybe I'll give it a 2nd shot then if I still don't like the combat but I end up digging the story I can just youtube the dlc cutscenes.  Thanks
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jeust
    @bhhawks78: Yeah. If you find you don't want to play it anymore, you can see the thread about the ending. 
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Rhaknar

the DLC isnt out for another 2 months anyway

and the ending is fine on it's own

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By CenturionCajun

This isn't a game that is going to sit down for ten minutes and explain the finer workings of the story to you. There are several head scratching moments and characters who appear for one a handful of scenes and are never mentioned again. This is truly an old school horror suspense in which you know just as much as your character does. Which is to say very little overall. I thought the ending was wonderfully cryptic and both allows you to imagine what you think is going on or if they decide to extend it with DLC or a sequel they could do interesting things.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By HandsomeDead

The DLC is meant to be viewing the actions of the game from a different perspective and there is some definite closure to it so I highly recommend you keep going.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Rhaknar
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " The DLC is meant to be viewing the actions of the game from a different perspective and there is some definite closure to it so I highly recommend you keep going. "
    err they've said the DLC will bridge season 1 (alan wake) with season 2 (the eventual sequel)
    tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By tmthomsen

The game certainly does have an ending. If you'll find it satisfying is hard to say, but there is plenty of room for DLC to continue the story.

Don't listen to OllyOxenFree, the game is really, really good and if you're interested enough in the story and read as many manuscript pages as possible, the ending should make sense to anyone.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Rhaknar said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:
    " The DLC is meant to be viewing the actions of the game from a different perspective and there is some definite closure to it so I highly recommend you keep going. "
    err they've said the DLC will bridge season 1 (alan wake) with season 2 (the eventual sequel) "
    They've also said it'll be more about the Dark Presence and less about the Wakes.
    eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By eskimo

You'll need to pay for the DLC to see the bad guy get theirs.

I was really pissed off when the game ended, they really don't bother to wrap it up at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.