Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

So, I got screwed by Gamestop.

• 83 results
    nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#51  Edited By nukesniper

When I want a code for a game, I don't buy it from gamestop. Rock Band and things like that I will hunt down on Amazon or on a clearance shelf at Target or Walmart, because I know that those are unopened.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By CptBedlam
    @AlexW00d:  Just because you happen to have got your copies shrink-wrapped doesn't mean that Gamestop doesn't open games. They DO open them but they also sell shrink-wrapped copies of new releases. The end.
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Burns098356GX
    @CptBedlam: Ya, but probably not.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @Burns098356GX said:
    " @Sponge said:
    " 1. This was a shrink-wrapped "new" copy of Alan Wake. 2. Upon opening the package once I got home it was quite clear that the game was used. (The disk was slightly scratched and the manual was crinkled.)
    Im confused. How is it that the game had the wrapping on it, but when you opened it, it was scratched and manual crinkled? "
    They might have used a shrink-wrap machine. People on eBay occasionally do to pass off used items as new. 
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By CptBedlam
    @Burns098356GX said:
    " @CptBedlam:  No. I've bought a bunch of games NEW, none had been opened. You might be right on that regional thing, but I can't see them doing that in certain regions and not others. Whats the point?  I could see them removing the disc from the case for USED copies, so they don't have to keep 50 of the same old game on the shelf. Im still under the impression that the OP bought something used by mistake. "
    What you can see or not see doesn't matter because they DO sell opened copies as new games. That's just a fact. Just because your copies happened to be shrink-wrapped doesn't mean they don't open games. They also have shrink-wrapped copies especially of new releases but they definitely sell opened cases as new. That's been stated in this thread many times and I myself experienced it. We never said they open ALL cases but they DO open cases.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Basically just don't ever shop at GameStop...they resell used games for $55...

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Burns098356GX
    @SpikeSpiegel: Theres got to be some sort of legal consequence to that. Once opened, its 'used software' regardless if has been bought a consumer or not. Thats why if you go anywhere, take bestbuy for example, if they have a return they can put it back on the shelf but its got to be marked as an open product.
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Burns098356GX
    @CptBedlam said:

" @Burns098356GX said:

" @CptBedlam:  No. I've bought a bunch of games NEW, none had been opened. You might be right on that regional thing, but I can't see them doing that in certain regions and not others. Whats the point?  I could see them removing the disc from the case for USED copies, so they don't have to keep 50 of the same old game on the shelf. Im still under the impression that the OP bought something used by mistake. "
    What you can see or not see doesn't matter because they DO sell opened copies as new games. That's just a fact. Just because your copies happened to be shrink-wrapped doesn't mean they don't open games. They also have shrink-wrapped copies especially of new releases but they definitely sell opened cases as new. That's been stated in this thread many times and I myself experienced it. We never said they open ALL cases but they DO open cases. "
    Well I'm still not seeing any evidence other than you saying yes they do. What possible point would they have to open a newly released game (i wouldn't say Alan Wake is a new release now). Are they checking to make sure the factory put a disc in the case? I can see them taking old used games out of the case and putting an empty case on the shelf and give you the disc when you buy it so they don't have to keep dozens of duplicate games on the shelf, plus I'm sure all the used copies don't have metal detector tags on them (considering how fast used games come in and out of those stores, it'd just be impossible to tag all those copies).
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By CptBedlam
    @Burns098356GX said:
    " @SpikeSpiegel: Theres got to be some sort of legal consequence to that. Once opened, its 'used software' regardless if has been bought a consumer or not. Thats why if you go anywhere, take bestbuy for example, if they have a return they can put it back on the shelf but its got to be marked as an open product. "
    Definitely not the case with Gamestop. 

Either they have a different policy or they just don't care.
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Burns098356GX
    @CptBedlam: Ya gamestop must totally be above the law.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By xyzygy

When you bought the game you should have looked for the sticker on the side that says "Genuine Xbox". It's the sign of a brand new game. Sometimes retailers do take off the packaging on the outside and sadly for PS3 and Wii games you can never tell, but as long as the Geniune Xbox sticker is on the side you'll know it's brand new and not opened.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By CptBedlam
    @Burns098356GX said:
    " @CptBedlam said:

" @Burns098356GX said:

What you can see or not see doesn't matter because they DO sell opened copies as new games. That's just a fact. Just because your copies happened to be shrink-wrapped doesn't mean they don't open games. They also have shrink-wrapped copies especially of new releases but they definitely sell opened cases as new. That's been stated in this thread many times and I myself experienced it. We never said they open ALL cases but they DO open cases. "
    Well I'm still not seeing any evidence other than you saying yes they do. What possible point would they have to open a newly released game (i wouldn't say Alan Wake is a new release now). Are they checking to make sure the factory put a disc in the case? I can see them taking old used games out of the case and putting an empty case on the shelf and give you the disc when you buy it so they don't have to keep dozens of duplicate games on the shelf, plus I'm sure all the used copies don't have metal detector tags on them (considering how fast used games come in and out of those stores, it'd just be impossible to tag all those copies). "
    The point is of course to make more money. Gamestop employees sometimes play these games themselves and put them back on the shelves as new, for example.

Well, I experienced it. Others did, too. So obviously it happens ... no matter if you experienced it or not.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By CptBedlam
    @Burns098356GX said:
    " @CptBedlam: Ya gamestop must totally be above the law. "
    You being a smartass doesn't mean you're right.
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Burns098356GX
    @CptBedlam said:
    " @Burns098356GX said:
    " @CptBedlam said:

" @Burns098356GX said:

Well I'm still not seeing any evidence other than you saying yes they do. What possible point would they have to open a newly released game (i wouldn't say Alan Wake is a new release now). Are they checking to make sure the factory put a disc in the case? I can see them taking old used games out of the case and putting an empty case on the shelf and give you the disc when you buy it so they don't have to keep dozens of duplicate games on the shelf, plus I'm sure all the used copies don't have metal detector tags on them (considering how fast used games come in and out of those stores, it'd just be impossible to tag all those copies). "
    The point is of course to make more money. Gamestop employees sometimes play these games themselves and put them back on the shelves as new, for example.  Well, I experienced it. Others did, too. So obviously it happens ... no matter if you experienced it or not. "
    So if you, yourself, experience it, it must be right. Everybody else who claims they've experienced the complete opposite must be wrong. That makes sense right?

I'm not talking about experiences, but I know in my country you CANNOT sell any form of software once its been opened, even by the retailer. Opened=used.
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Burns098356GX
    @CptBedlam: You being not senseable and ignorant doesn't make you right. Good day.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#66  Edited By Undeadpool
    @Burns098356GX said:
    " Actually I think that DLC code was only a limited time thing, to try to boost launch time sales. Perhaps you should have done research. Plus you can always tell if the game has been opened. Honestly how do you not notice the shrink wrap is missing? You've bought a used copy, its your fault.  I've been buying games and consoles from GameStop for awhile now and never had any problem. I really think the biggest problem is that a big portion of their customer base is just plain dumb. "
    Gamestop has a packaging device, they can re-wrap opened boxes and frequently do, mostly for the "display copies" and the ones that employees borrow (which is a perk of working there) which they still sell as new.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By CptBedlam
    @Burns098356GX said:
    " @CptBedlam said:
    " @Burns098356GX said:
    " @CptBedlam said:

" @Burns098356GX said:

The point is of course to make more money. Gamestop employees sometimes play these games themselves and put them back on the shelves as new, for example.  Well, I experienced it. Others did, too. So obviously it happens ... no matter if you experienced it or not. "
    So if you, yourself, experience it, it must be right. Everybody else who claims they've experienced the complete opposite must be wrong. That makes sense right?  I'm not talking about experiences, but I know in my country you CANNOT sell any form of software once its been opened, even by the retailer. Opened=used. "
    Wait, so you're saying you experienced how they NEVER opened a copy? No, they didn't open the copies you bought. That's all.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By CptBedlam
    @Undeadpool said:
    " @Burns098356GX said:
    " Actually I think that DLC code was only a limited time thing, to try to boost launch time sales. Perhaps you should have done research. Plus you can always tell if the game has been opened. Honestly how do you not notice the shrink wrap is missing? You've bought a used copy, its your fault.  I've been buying games and consoles from GameStop for awhile now and never had any problem. I really think the biggest problem is that a big portion of their customer base is just plain dumb. "
    Gamestop has a packaging device, they can re-wrap opened boxes and frequently do, mostly for the "display copies" and the ones that employees borrow (which is a perk of working there) which they still sell as new. "
    This.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#69  Edited By toowalrus

At my local gamestop, I have to ask specifically For a sealed copy, but they'll usually give me one.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Burns098356GX
    @CptBedlam:  So they just pick at random which cases they want to open and peek inside for fun, i guess.

I dont know where you live, but at least where I live, and im sure many other places you simply can't sell opened software as new. Opened, in any way by any party no longer makes that product new. Piracy issues and such. To me it doesn't make sence that a gamestop employee can take a new/unopened copy of a game home to try, use the DLC card, pack it back up and sell it as new. Its like using a toothbrush once and returning it back to the shelf as new. It doesn't make sense.
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#71  Edited By Soap

I've had the same happen to me before, if you kick up enough of a fuss and refuse to leave the store till they fix the problem they will usually just swap it for you.... or phone the police, but that can still be fun, especially if you tell them that's a great idea as you'd love to inform the police that they have been selling used stock as new products. 

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By CptBedlam
    @Burns098356GX said:
    "To me it doesn't make sence that a gamestop employee can take a new/unopened copy of a game home to try, use the DLC card, pack it back up and sell it as new. Its like using a toothbrush once and returning it back to the shelf as new. It doesn't make sense. "
    It doesn't make sense to you but still that is what happens.
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Burns098356GX
    @CptBedlam said:
    " @Burns098356GX said:
    "To me it doesn't make sence that a gamestop employee can take a new/unopened copy of a game home to try, use the DLC card, pack it back up and sell it as new. Its like using a toothbrush once and returning it back to the shelf as new. It doesn't make sense. "
    It doesn't make sense to you but still that is what happens. "
    I am convinced.
    Avatar image for christiancastillo
    ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What makes you think that someone is just going to give you their DLC code?  I doubt anyone would have it lying around.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#75  Edited By melcene

I agree that the differences people are seeing seem to be a regional thing.  For example, the price issue.  At least in my neck of the woods, a brand new game at Gamestop costs the exact same as a brand new game at Best Buy.  At Amazon you might find it cheaper through some no-name third party (who just as easily could have opened it and is reselling it as new).  Used games also don't have a whole lot of price difference between Gamestop and Best Buy around here. 

Personally, yes I shop at Gamestop (and sometimes Best Buy) because when I decide I want a game that's already out, I want it now.  Not when Amazon or a third-party seller gets it to me. 

To the OP: Are you sure the code was supposed to be IN the game box, and not on the receipt?  It seems that most codes are on the Gamestop receipts these days.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#76  Edited By meptron

you screwed yourself when you walked in that door

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Sponge: The fact that you're on the internet and amazon is a website that will take care of you means you have no one to blame but yourself...
    Aureoloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Aureoloss

Not sure if this was mentioned already in this thread, but Gamestop employees are allowed to check out brand new games and play them for a period of 1-3 or 1-7 days and then bring them back to the store and still sell them as "unused - brand new". I've decided to stop shopping there, as their prices are quite simply higher, and trade in values have plummeted to a joke. My closest Gamestop is on the same block as a Best Buy and Gamestop won't even price match. Best Buy is destroying them with their lowest price guarantee. 

EDIT: not to mention I've bought a few games there that I wanted NEW (like Bad Company 2, for the VIP maps) and the clerk tried to push a used copy on me, which is fine, but when I told him I would miss out on maps he said "You have no idea what you're talking about, that's ridiculous."

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#79  Edited By CharleyTony

yeah, in some way someone gets screwed at gamestop.  
    low buy-back prices 
    opened NEW games 
    high markup on used games 
    they even sell some games above the MSRP ! ( like kirbys epic yarn for 54.99 instead of the regular 49.99) 

I hate that place. Except for rare trade in deals that might be a little better than somewhere else, there is no reason to go there. 

You know they are playing you when you bring a stack of games to "see how much they would give you for them" (because they wont tell you without bringing them in), they offer you some ridiculous prices and then you almost have to fight the clerk to get your games back. As if having them scanned means that you will automatically sell them LOL !!! 

Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#80  Edited By Daroki
    @CptBedlam said:

" @Burns098356GX said:

" @CptBedlam: Weird because I've bought about 6 games from them this year, all of them shrink wrapped, sealed, with all contents in the package. All at the same price I could have got them anywhere else. "

Indeed weird. Regional differences maybe.  Well, they have a few games behind the counter - usually the new releases - that are still wrapped. But everything the customers themselves can grab in the store is just empty cases. Also the games that are advertised as new.   And as for the prices: Around here all the Gamestops are usually 10€s more expensive when it comes to new games.  The used-game price are an even bigger joke. "
    By the pound symbol, are you using a Gamestop out of the United States?   

And it's not a regional thing, it seems to almost be a store by store thing.  I hated the Gamestop by where I used to work, I had preorders for games that all the sudden wouldn't be there.  For instance, I got my copy of Every Extend Extra 2 weeks after it was released although I preordered, and never got my copy of Lumines 2 that I preordered from them.  Meanwhile the Gamestop by where I work now has never been an issue except for the seasonal help's wince when I picked up Persona 4 two years ago and the girl asked if that was the shoot people in the head game.  "No, I'm not getting Halo."  (Ok, now if she was saying shoot yourself in the head game...) 

[Yes, that's Persona 3 that you shoot yourself in the head, but I media blackouted myself of P4 after getting a release date, so I didn't know until I started playing that it was different.] 

In short, your mileage will vary regardless of which chain or store you go to.  Find a place you feel comfortable with be it brick and mortar or online and be happy with it.
    masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By masternater27

Just raise hell to a manager.  If you bitch enough they'll exchange it for you. Probably not money back though. That's what my 3 years in retail has taught me.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#82  Edited By BaneFireLord

The only reason I go to Gamestop is to buy used games. Best Buy or Target is way better for new stuff.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By louiedog

Both pieces of DLC are 200 points today only as part of the holiday sale. That means both together are cheaper than just The Writer. I realize there's a matter of principle here, but in the end this is probably your best bet for getting the full Alan Wake experience.

markem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By markem

Would you still like the card? 

I bought the game for $20 today, since it's boxing day here in Canada, and it came with the card. I also believe it's still usable.
    I am also lucky that Xbox Live is having a Boxing week sale and on the final day, this Friday there are hints to cutting the price of the DLC, as I missed the my chance a couple days ago, I'm taking this second chance.
    There is a catch, though, if it's NOT the Writer, I think I'll have to use it myself, but if I get a second chance, so do you. 

If you are still looking for the DLC PM me, I will gladdly type out the code that I have not peeled yet, on Friday, free. :) 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.