Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

Yay Alan Wake Finally arrived!

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_A_Drain

Got mine just now :D Finishing off the last chapter of Holmes VS Ripper before I play it though, then i'm probably gonna play the whole thing through at once.  

When are -you- planning/expecting to get yours? And are you hurrying to finish any other games before it comes out so you can play un-interrupted?

EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By EnchantedEcho

It's out?
    Doesn't come out in Australia till the 18th :(

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_A_Drain

Comes out tommorow here in the UK/EU :D 

I think it's 18th most other places.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#4  Edited By Icemael

I'm picking my Limited Edition copy up tomorrow.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Icemael: The LE is awesome :D mines LE and the whole book-style box is just really cool imo I love it.
    droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By droop

I'll hopefully get mine Friday. Shipped from the UK yesterday.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Rhaknar

amazon has had mine in "preparing for dispatch" since...fucking yesterday, so assuming its shipped today I wont see it until monday or probably tuesday... not happy

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Icemael
    @The_A_Drain: It's probably the main reason I pre-ordered the Limited Edition. I mean, the book seams really neat and all, and so do the soundtrack and the behind-the-scenes videos... but dude, book imitation cover. So. Awesome.
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By haggis

The game doesn't come out until the 18th, and you're disappointed that you're not going to get it early or on time?

Cereal_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cereal_Killa

That's mine just arrived after being posted yesterday. ordered it off of Play.com :D

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @haggis said:
    " The game doesn't come out until the 18th, and you're disappointed that you're not going to get it early or on time? "
    If he's in Europe it comes out tommorow :) (14th)
    wibby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By wibby

I'll be picking mine up tomorrow also a copy of 3d dot heros, for the gf of course ;o) 
    FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FirePrince

You'll never guess how it ends.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Icemael
    @FirePrince said:
    "You'll never guess how it ends."
    From what I've heard, abruptly and disappointingly, and with promise of paid DLC that'll tie up the loose ends.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @wibby said:
    " I'll be picking mine up tomorrow also a copy of 3d dot heros, for the gf of course ;o)  "
    I really want 3D Dot Heroes, but no PS3 :(
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By shirogane
    @FirePrince said:
    "

You'll never guess how it ends.

"

It's actually all a book written by some other random author? =O 

Kinda interested, but i really can't get myself into survival horror games... 
    Call me a coward.
    wibby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By wibby
    @The_A_Drain:
    To be honest it hardly gets used... this is the first game I will have bought for it in over a year!
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Icemael
    @Shirogane said:
    " @FirePrince said:
    Kinda interested, but i really can't get myself into survival horror games... Call me a coward. "
    It's not a survival horror game. It is, as the developers call it, an "action thriller". Everyone who's played it has said that while the game is very atmospheric, it isn't very scary at all.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By shirogane
    @Icemael said:
    " @Shirogane said:
    " @FirePrince said:
    Kinda interested, but i really can't get myself into survival horror games... Call me a coward. "
    It's not a survival horror game. It is, as the developers call it, an "action thriller". Everyone who's played it has said that while the game is very atmospheric, it isn't very scary at all. "

Hmm, so RE4 with more action? It does seem more thriller than horror from what i've seen. I'll probably get into it if i play it, it's just getting myself around to that point. Eh, i might do it eventually, it's one of the few games i'm interested lately. I'll keep updated on what everyone else thinks about it then see.
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By haggis
    @Icemael: That's one reason why I'm holding off on buying it. The idea that we pay full price for a game, and they leave off a real ending so they can charge more for it later? No thanks. I'll pick it up in a month or two  when everyone has played it, sold it back and the used price drops to thirty bucks or so.
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By GunstarRed

I got mine in the post today, The big book special edition... I'm always amused by the BBFC warnings "Contains strong threat" 
    I really need to abuse my brain more by finishing off Lost planet 2 first though.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Icemael
    @haggis said:
    "@Icemael: That's one reason why I'm holding off on buying it. The idea that we pay full price for a game, and they leave off a real ending so they can charge more for it later? No thanks. I'll pick it up in a month or two  when everyone has played it, sold it back and the used price drops to thirty bucks or so."
    You get the first DLC for free if you buy the game new. All you're doing by waiting and buying it used is boning yourself.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Icemael said:
    " @haggis said:
    "@Icemael: That's one reason why I'm holding off on buying it. The idea that we pay full price for a game, and they leave off a real ending so they can charge more for it later? No thanks. I'll pick it up in a month or two  when everyone has played it, sold it back and the used price drops to thirty bucks or so."
    You get the first DLC for free if you buy the game new. All you're doing by waiting and buying it used is boning yourself. "
    Yeah seriously, I don't get all this bullshit people are running "ZOMG FREE DLC?!?!? FUCK YOU!!" It's like, just buy the goddamn game new like you should do in the first place. 

I'm not too happy about the DLC being part of the main story though if I have to wait for it. If they were gonna run it as part of the main game in order to try and curb used game sales, it should be avaialable day one imo. But noooooooo, cos that just causes a consumer shit-storm too, is there -anything- consumers won't complain about? Except of course being given stuff for free, on a silver platter, delivered directly to their door. But even then some of them aren't happy.
    simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By simian

JEALOUSY.
    Next week cannot come fast enough much to the shigrin of Skate3 and Lost Planet 2.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By Catolf

*unhappe* i want mine nows plz

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By haggis
    @The_A_Drain: It's perfectly within the publisher's right to do this sort of thing if they want, but I don't have to like it. I think publishers should publish whole games, not partial games. I think the trend is a mistake. 

And I'm not sure why buying the game new is what I "should" do. If publishers want to curb used game sales, they should take it up with Gamestop, not me. With Amazon's release-date delivery, it's not as if day-one buyers don't have options if the publishers decide to hit Gamestop on used games. There are very few games that are worth full retail price, and so long as I have options to buy it for less, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Although knowing that the real game ending isn't included in the retail package, and must be paid for by used game purchasers makes me unlikely to buy the game at all now.

I don't think it's unreasonable to complain that the publisher is delivering an unfinished game. It's not as if they published the game, then decided to flesh out the ending later. They almost certainly designed the game with this more complete ending in mind, then decided to withhold a portion of it. Would people complain if used DVDs left off the last five minutes, requiring you to go online and download it (and possibly pay more)? I think they would, and they'd be justified. There's an expectation that the disc you're buying contains the whole game. In this case, the publisher is basically holding the game hostage against the user. As I said, they should take it up with Gamestop if they've got a problem with used game sales.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @haggis said:

" @The_A_Drain: It's perfectly within the publisher's right to do this sort of thing if they want, but I don't have to like it. I think publishers should publish whole games, not partial games. I think the trend is a mistake. 

And I'm not sure why buying the game new is what I "should" do. If publishers want to curb used game sales, they should take it up with Gamestop, not me. With Amazon's release-date delivery, it's not as if day-one buyers don't have options if the publishers decide to hit Gamestop on used games. There are very few games that are worth full retail price, and so long as I have options to buy it for less, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Although knowing that the real game ending isn't included in the retail package, and must be paid for by used game purchasers makes me unlikely to buy the game at all now.  I don't think it's unreasonable to complain that the publisher is delivering an unfinished game. It's not as if they published the game, then decided to flesh out the ending later. They almost certainly designed the game with this more complete ending in mind, then decided to withhold a portion of it. Would people complain if used DVDs left off the last five minutes, requiring you to go online and download it (and possibly pay more)? I think they would, and they'd be justified. There's an expectation that the disc you're buying contains the whole game. In this case, the publisher is basically holding the game hostage against the user. As I said, they should take it up with Gamestop if they've got a problem with used game sales. "

Look. I will fully agree that shady practices = bad. A key example being Tomb Raider, where it was publicly admitted that key content was cut from the game with the specific intention of releasing it as DLC. 

But not every publisher does that, and you know what, i'm sick of responding to this exact same argument with a select group of people on this site. I am done. It's over. I've said my part. 

For this specific instance though. Bollocks. Complete and utter bollocks. I've got the game, i've finished the game, and I had no issues whatsoever with the ending. It felt like a complete and finished product, and that is totally fine. This whole notion that the product is somehow incomplete if a publisher decides to release DLC is so far removed from reality it's not even funny. For a start, there is a 3 month period where no further content can be added to the disc in order to press/print/ship and finalise everything. Secondly, that is the point that without DLC, they would begin work on the next game and simply ignore anything they had to cut. 

DLC is a fucking godsend, not only does it allow consumers to buy more content for a game they like, but it gives the developer the opportunity to finish and release things they wanted to put into the game but did not have time/money to do so. Let me re-iterate, that it is something you would not otherwise have access to. So why people somehow feel entitled to this stuff for free, or ripped off, is beyond me. It's utterly insane. Sure, there are isolated instances where somebody does something real shady, but for the most part the consumer really does have a warped sense of self importance and self entitlement, and it needs to stop. Now. If you'd rather not have any DLC, that's fine by me... The actual released disc product isn't going to change any, it would be the same with or without DLC (few bad apples aside) and I honestly think DLC like this is the perfect incentive for people to buy new.  

As for why you should be buying new, why do you even need to ask? You should support artists putting out products you like, why should you support GameStop instead? That makes no sense at all. But i'll tell you why, because your greedy and care about nothing more than getting what you want for a few bucks less. Now, i'm not gonna hold that against anyone, i'm the same, I want the best possible price I can get. But I also realise where the money goes if I buy it second hand, and supporting the people who pour years of blood and tears into cranking out these products is more important to me than saving a few measly dollars and letting GameStop make 100% profit for zero effort.
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By haggis
    @The_A_Drain: In most cases, I'd completely agree with you. For instance, people complained about the quality of free DLC with Mass Effect 2, which was ridiculous. But it's somewhat different with Alan Wake, where so many reviews noted that the ending felt unfinished and unsatisfying.

As for "supporting artists," this is kind of silly. And make up your mind. You say  "because your [sic] greedy and care about nothing more than getting what you want," and then say, "I'm not going to hold that against anyone." You obviously do hold it against people for buying used games because you're clearly pissed off about it. I'd be happy to buy games directly from the company for a reasonable price. But sixty bucks is too much for some games. So I'm greedy for wanting to pay a fair price for what I play? Sorry, that's bullshit. If companies want to curb used game sales, then they could easily have Gamestop pay a royalty on used game sales as a part of the conditions of their retail agreement. Done.

I don't expect anything for free, DLC or otherwise. But when I pay for a game, I expect the whole game. I don't think that's too much to ask. Most free DLC is supplemental. It's not critical to the actual game (see Mass Effect 2). But this DLC with Alan Wake is a bit different.

In any case, this whole argument is likely moot. Publishers are eagerly awaiting pure digital distribution, and then Gamestop will (thankfully) go out of business. I don't like Gamestop any more any anyone else does, and don't buy release-date games there anymore. But I hardly think it is "greedy" to be thrifty with the few spare dollars I have for my gaming hobby. Hell, I say get rid of the publisher altogether. Who needs them. Until then, we're stuck with a system rigged to produce games at a price point that a lot of gamers (not just me) think is a bit expensive. It's hardly worth calling people names for trying to save a few dollars.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @haggis:  

I was talking about not holding the want to save some money against anybody. I do it myself, I frequently buy older games that are no longer available (or difficult to find) new, second hand. 

My issue is with stuff like this:  I'd be happy to buy games directly from the company for a reasonable price. But sixty bucks is too much for some games. So I'm greedy for wanting to pay a fair price for what I play? Sorry, that's bullshit."  Because yes, yes you are being greedy.

Just play that back inside your own head for a moment. Go on, do it. Seriously? You seriously think that $60 is not a fair price? You are flat out bonkers much like a lot of other gamers out there. Something has to give somewhere, gamers constantly whine and moan that they want more levels, better graphics, more features, envelope-pushing technology, etc. Yet on the same penny they turn around and complain that $60 is too much to pay? Complete and utter rubbish. Utterly not acceptable in my eyes. Take Street Fighter IV as a good example, -still- some people complained that it was too expensive, when, if you actually know how the money is distributed behind the scenes, it's an INSANELY cheap price with very very little room to maneuver in terms of reducing it. 

If you don't think a $60 price is fair, then by all means, buy the second hand version. But then you have no right to complain when publishers decide they actually want the money that, by all rights, should be theirs. Some will choose to offer incentives to players, others will attempt to punish the people buying second hand, that is just how these things go. At the end of the discussion though, they are a luxury product that you do not require to live your daily life, so whatever people want to charge is absolutely fine, and when you actually look at it logically and objectively, not only are games cheaper nowadays than they were during the entire cartridge era, but you are getting more bang for your buck than ever before. I absolutely think that the video game consumer of today is spoiled rotten, hence the monumental, vitriolic 'uprising' that happens against rather innocent things such as The Maw DLC, simply because the developer thought "Deleted Scenes" might be a cool name for a package of extra levels, people went utterly berserk and immidietly proclaimed that they had an inherent right to have that content for free. It's really quite sickening. 

Game prices need to go up, or AAA game quality needs to come down/level out. Otherwise things will just explode soon.  

As for the ending, like I said, I consider the opinion that the game felt incomplete to be utter bollocks. But that's all it is, my opinion. I felt the ending was fine, left enough room for a sequel, and there are points in the story that while fine on their own, would be good candidates for fleshing out with DLC at a later date. 

Demanding royalties from second hand game sales is also (apparently) against the law in most areas. Although I would support it as a solution because while I do consider the general consumer to be a greedy, ignorant person for the most part, I absolutely agree that the less of these kinds of arguments spill over into affecting the consumer, the better. The fundamental difference however between another second hand product and a game is that, provided the disc works (which it always will, as you have right to return it should it be damaged at time of purchase) the content never ever degrades, it will always remain the same. Whereas any other physical product will become damages, worn, parts will need replacing, etc. Giving clear incentive to buy new. Games on the other hand, I maintain the opinion that there is no incentive to buy new, which leads to vile, detestable entities such as GameStop and CEX jumping on that opportunity to, essentially, steal customers from publishers with their own product. It's no wonder they've begun to react like a disturbed hornets nest.
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By haggis
    @The_A_Drain: " You are flat out bonkers much like a lot of other gamers out there. Something has to give somewhere, gamers constantly whine and moan that they want more levels, better graphics, more features, envelope-pushing technology, etc. Yet on the same penny they turn around and complain that $60 is too much to pay? Complete and utter rubbish. Utterly not acceptable in my eyes." 

Except, I never said any of those things. I don't want more levels, better graphics or more features. I just want a game. And if a game is only eight hours long, I don't feel like paying sixty bucks for it is worth it, not when I can get games that are substantially longer. The price point is artificial: fixed by Microsoft except in rare occasions when publishers press them to allow a lower price. The fact is, though, it's up to me to decide when it's worth buying a game. It has nothing to do with greed. I just know how much game I want for a specific price. If the game doesn't meet that, I don't buy it. If it's available used for less, there's no obligation for me to buy new. You can call that "greed" if you want, but you're using a very different definition. By yours, anyone who buys anything used from someone other than the original producer is being greedy. No used cars, no used CDs, used books, used anything. You can try to argue that games are different because the data doesn't degrade, but games on disc are fragile. They degrade quite quickly. Just take a look at my games from ten or fifteen years ago. Very certainly degraded. Some don't even work, despite the fact that they were carefully handled and haven't been played in years.

"But then you have no right to complain when publishers decide they actually want the money that, by all rights, should be theirs."

Of course, I'm not complaining. I'm just saying that I don't like the trend, and think it's a mistake. And the money is only theirs if I decide to let it be theirs. If they can't convince me the game is worth paying retail for, I'm under no obligation to oblige. I don't blame them. As I said, they don't have control over how much the games actually cost. Look, I've been purchasing games for twenty-five years. I know how much they cost when I bought them for my Commodore 64, and I know how much they cost now. I still think they're too expensive. You can disagree if you want. That's fine. But it's my money, and you don't get to decide how I calculate value. Learn to live with people who disagree with you. You don't have much recourse. 

As for Alan Wake, you seem to not be reading me carefully. I said it seems that the situation with Alan Wake is different. Since neither of us has actually seen the forthcoming DLC, it's hardly worth getting into an argument over it. However, I stand by my suggestion that it seems that the developers withheld at least some of the plot's resolution. It does not seem like they are fixing something or adding something, but giving something that was designed to be a part of the original game and wasn't included. Most suggestions of this sort of behavior by other developers have been overblown, but this case seems different. We'll know more, of course, when the DLC arrives.

As for royalties, as far as I know there is nothing remotely illegal about developers and a distributor like Gamestop coming to an agreement about royalties concerning used games that they sell. Could they demand it? I'm not sure what that might mean. The law regarding private citizens (the first sale doctrine) doesn't quite hold when dealing with a corporation who is selling used copies as part of a business.
    DiscoDuck8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By DiscoDuck8k

Hoping I have mine by next weekend, depends on how quickly Amazon gets it shipped.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @haggis: We are obviously not going to agree, at all, on a number of different points throughout this debate, i'm actually going to play Alan Wake again rather than continuing :) 

I will say this however: 

"   I said it seems that the situation with Alan Wake is different. Since neither of us has actually seen the forthcoming DLC" 

You are correct, neither of us has seen the upcoming DLC. However, I will say this. I have finished the game, and it felt quite nice and complete to me personally, while that might be worth nothing, I will contest the idea that plot was being intentionally withheld. As part of the LCE, the Making Of documentaries, one of the developers mentions how wonderful it is to have access to DLC nowadays, as it gave them the ability to add things to the game/ story that they did not have the opportunity to add during the games production. You can choose to believe whatever you'd like, but of all the developers out there, Remedy is one I am least likely to believe would cut content from the game in order to sell at a later date. It seems to me that people are incapable of actually being in any way logical in regards to DLC. People always seem to ignore the fact that without DLC, they would simply not have the vast majority of that content because it would have been left on the cutting room floor.

And even if content was 'withheld' there are potentially innocent explanations for that as well. Often if becomes necessary to remove things, or drop things, or not to proceed in a certain direction because of time and budget constraints. Now, that content would be relegated into nothingness regardless whether or not DLC existed, but the fact that it does enables developers to mark certain things that would otherwise be thrown away, that they want to keep and produce instead as DLC. And as has been mentioned many many times before by multiple people, there is a roughly 3 month period before a games release where the disc is being pressed, shipped, stocked, etc and the final content cannot be altered. During this time it is common to begin working on DLC, I don't see how DLC produced under these conditions is anything but a good thing. I certainly will not agree that it is a 'worrying trend' at all, and when some of that is being given away free to new purchasers, all the better. 

As for games being too expensive, you can think what you like, but really, thinking something doesn't always make it logical. When you really know how much goes on behind the scenes, and how the money breaks up once it leaves your wallet, you begin to realise that actually, you're getting a pretty sweet deal at $60. If you want to ignore that, then continue to do so, but i've been saying this for almost 3 years now. Game prices WILL GO UP. Whether people like it or not, not because people are trying to gauge you, rob you, etc, but because they need to in order to support the ever increasing budgets that are in demand to meet consumer expectations. (That's what I was talking about, not you personally, consumers in general always want more, bigger, faster, better, etc, but you cannot make such a demand without expecting the price to rise)  

I'm all for voting with your wallet when you don't think something is worth the asking price. Absolutely the consumer should be, and is empowered in such a way. However, I absolutely believe that the majority of consumer expectations are simply not viable or realistic in any way and that they need to wake up and smell the 90s.
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By haggis
    @The_A_Drain: Again, that's just your opinion about the game ending. Others obviously disagree. As for people "always" ignoring the value of DLC content, again, that's BS. As I've said (over and over again), most DLC is great. What I have a problem with is the appearance of withholding story elements. Perhaps that's not the case with Alan Wake. But the reviews make it look like it is. Like I said: we'll see. Sure, there are innocent explanations. And I'm all for free DLC. What I don't like is leveraging story elements in this way.

I find your hammering away on game costs completely illogical. You keep talking about how games used to be, and how much we pay now as if the question was whether or not games now offer more bang for the buck than they do in the past. Of course they do. I doubt anyone would argue otherwise. But my choice is not between games now and games then. My choice is between games now and competing options today, meaning movies and other forms of entertainment. Paying sixty dollars for an eight to ten hour game (like, say, Alan Wake or Modern Warfare 2's single player campaign) works out to about six bucks an hour for entertainment. A movie, on the other hand, costs me eight bucks for (let's be generous and aim at the low end), 90 minutes of entertainment. That's about 5.30 and change. If I want to rent a movie, it's even less (or is renting movies too greedy for you?). Like it or not, games compete with other non-games for entertainment dollars. Games like Alan Wake simply do not compete well at that level. Modern Warfare (with it's larger cultural appeal, not to mention multiplayer) compete much better. A game like Dragon Age, or Mass Effect 2 (sixty hours and thirty hours, respectively), offer a much better value even at retail prices. We're talking ten cents an hour for a long game like Dragon Age. Now that is a sweet deal.

But at sixty bucks for a short game, I'm not getting a sweet deal. I'm getting robbed. Obviously not everyone will agree. Perhaps they like games more than movies or other entertainment options and are willing to pay the premium. Others won't be. You can call them illogical all you want, but the fact is pretty obvious: they simply disagree with you. Just because they disagree with you doesn't make them illogical. It just means you disagree. 

You're right about one thing, though: game prices will go up. Back in the 90s, games were forty bucks. In the 90s they went up to fifty. This generation, they went up to sixty (save for the Wii and PC). That's slower than inflation, of course, which is good, but it's not inflation that they're fighting, or some game released twenty years ago. I have no doubt that the next gen games will go up to $70 or $80, and people will complain then. Why? Because other forms of entertainment will be cheaper, and because not everyone values those gaming hours the same way. It's not an argument that's going away.
    abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#34  Edited By abdo

Just picked this up today. Played Ep 1 and 2. 

I absolutely love it, it's spot on. Great controls, terrific chilling atmosphere, narrative that could rival a book.

Avatar image for griefersstolemykeyboard
    griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

meh, after like 7 years of development I expected more.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @haggis said: 

@The_A_Drain:  Paying sixty dollars for an eight to ten hour game (like, say, Alan Wake or Modern Warfare 2's single player campaign) works out to about six bucks an hour for entertainment. A movie, on the other hand, costs me eight bucks for (let's be generous and aim at the low end), 90 minutes of entertainment. That's about 5.30 and change. If I want to rent a movie, it's even less (or is renting movies too greedy for you?). Like it or not, games compete with other non-games for entertainment dollars. Games like Alan Wake simply do not compete well at that level. Modern Warfare (with it's larger cultural appeal, not to mention multiplayer) compete much better. A game like Dragon Age, or Mass Effect 2 (sixty hours and thirty hours, respectively), offer a much better value even at retail prices. We're talking ten cents an hour for a long game like Dragon Age. Now that is a sweet deal.

But at sixty bucks for a short game, I'm not getting a sweet deal. I'm getting robbed

This then, is the critical portion of our disagreement. 

For me, it is the complete opposite. A movie offers me nothing in terms of value for money whatsoever, I pay £9 - 14 for a DVD ($16 - 21 ish) and unless it's an absolute classic, I will probably only watch it once ever before shelving it for at least a year. Besides, some feel that they can charge even more than that anyway, for example if you want boxed sets of older shows such as The Twilight Zone, here, you can expect to pay £60 ($83ish I guess?) PER SEASON. I personally, get far more out of videogames. 

A game on the other hand, costs me £45 - 50 ($... Uhh, $65 - 73 ish?) and if I get six hours out of that, in my mind, that is plenty given the interactivity of the experience. This is my major issue with peoples perception of value, in my opinion, they simply expect more than is reasonable. You say yourself that at ten cents an hour, Dragon Age is a sweet deal, but if you actually ground that in logic, it's an exceptional deal that is almost unrivaled, and should be treated as such imo. 6 - 10 hours is the standard nowadays, and if you don't think that's decent value at $60, then that's fine you are entitled to that opinion. My argument however is that it's a little bit crazy for people to expect much more than that as a standard while still expecting to pay the same $60.  Comparing games to films, again, in my mind is a little bit off. But to the general consumer who only sees a pricetag and an entertainment value, I guess it's inevitable. 

Different people have varying perceptions of value I will grant you that, I just think that the general consumers perception of value is of late, becoming a little too warped for it's own good. As an example, even with the exceptional value Dragon Age offers, I still see shit-storms in DLC article comments sections about how it should be given away for free, and how people feel entitled to it despite the fact it's a seperate product. To me, that sort of thing is mind bogglingly selfish and greedy, and yet it seems to have become something of a norm nowadays. Now there is a trend that worries me,

I guess my opinion is just too different to most peoples to get in line with the general consensus, for example in both MW and MW2 I felt slightly cheated, why? Because I don't give two farts about the multiplayer :) i've never even been in the menu. If I want multiplayer I will buy a game built from the ground up with multiplayer in mind. I only played the single player which lasted me much less than the standard length of most games these days.  

Arguments are somewhat addictive aren't they my good chap? :D  In effort to bring this particular one to a close, I give you... 

Partially completed WoW papercraft, forgive the poor construction :P  

No Caption Provided

Now there is something that offers no value for money, fucking printer ink :\
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By haggis
    @The_A_Drain: "My argument however is that it's a little bit crazy for people to expect much more than that as a standard while still expecting to pay the same $60."

On that, you might be right. But the fact is--depending on the game--you'll receive quite a range of content. Sometimes eight hours. Sometimes sixty. It's not quite the same with movies, which almost always range from 90 minutes to two-and-a-half hours. Every gamer is different in what they expect from games, and so the idea that a $60 game might be considered a ripoff shouldn't surprise (or anger) you. It has nothing to do with greed, and everything to do with value. If you want a tightly-plotted game like Modern Warfare 2's single player campaign to be sixty hours long, then yes, you're expecting too much. Some gamers are like that, but I doubt it's many. On the other hand, some devs put out very long, tightly plotted, original, fun games that clock in at much longer than the eight hours we often get. Again, this is a matter of choice: developers don't intend every game for every gamer. Some games that don't appeal to gamers at $60 will appeal to them at $30. It's just the way things are.

"...in both MW and MW2 I felt slightly cheated..."

On that, we are in agreement. I don't like multiplayer FPS games, and when I bought the first Modern Warfare, I realized pretty quickly  that I wasn't going to get my money's worth out of it, which is why I didn't buy the sequel. Your disappointment reflects your gaming preferences. And I wouldn't consider you greedy for buying it used for $30, because the value of the multiplayer is built into the $60 price tag.

As for shit-storms over charging for DLC, I doubt it's representative of most gamers. Especially on Dragon Age, whose DLC is a great value. There are quite a few gamers who want everything for free, but they are often more vocal. I wouldn't let them warp your sense of gamers in general, who don't mind paying for DLC when it adds value (and, even, when it doesn't).
    kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#38  Edited By kalmis

Got mine as well. The "thick" version

No Caption Provided

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By Jeust

Mine too. I'll play a little bit to see how it handles.  

But is the ending really that drab? Still did it give you any sense of closure? But don't spoil on me... :p

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Jeust said:

" Mine too. I'll play a little bit to see how it handles.   But is the ending really that drab? Still did it give you any sense of closure? But don't spoil on me... :p "

Without spoiling, I thought it was fine. It's definitely a certain type of ending, one of those ones Americans often complain about for not offering enough 'closure', but personally I felt it fit the story very well while leaving enough room for a potential sequel. 

@kalmis:  Epic Edition :D The book that comes with it though, DO NOT READ until after the game. Spoilers. Same for the making-of DVD.
    kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#41  Edited By kalmis
    @The_A_Drain said:
    @kalmis:  Epic Edition :D The book that comes with it though, DO NOT READ until after the game. Spoilers. Same for the making-of DVD. "

Cheers, was not really planning to, but good to know. Any idea where to get tracklist for the soundtrack?
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#42  Edited By Jeust
    @The_A_Drain said:
    " @Jeust said:

" Mine too. I'll play a little bit to see how it handles.   But is the ending really that drab? Still did it give you any sense of closure? But don't spoil on me... :p "

Without spoiling, I thought it was fine. It's definitely a certain type of ending, one of those ones Americans often complain about for not offering enough 'closure', but personally I felt it fit the story very well while leaving enough room for a potential sequel. 

@kalmis:  Epic Edition :D The book that comes with it though, DO NOT READ until after the game. Spoilers. Same for the making-of DVD. "
    Nice... A bit like the ending of Dead Space isn't it? 

Thanks for the info!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.