Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alpha Protocol

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released May 27, 2010

Control rogue agent Michael Thorton as he tries to unearth an international conspiracy in the near future (where everybody seems to have a hidden agenda or two) in this third-person action RPG.

Change of heart, I am loving this game now !

lolak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lolak47

When i first got the game i hated the damn thing, wish i never bought it the shooting was terrible and turned me off playing.
    Then i gave the game another chance and played it patiently.  
    I started a new game and Im pretty far in now and enjoying the game alot,  each mission is actualy fun to play now and i'm intrigued by the story.

Things i did to  make the gameplay more fun and enjoyable

• Play patinetly, usualy there are more then 1 way to approach a area, explore for alternate route's and get more cash, intel and ammo.
    • put points in Stealth, Assault Riffles, Martial Arts and 3 points in pistol
    • Stay crouched sneak around, cqc stealth kill gaurds that are walking around, sneak up behind them, use silent running if you need to be fast.
    • when there are gaurds standing near each other get close as u can and use chain shot to take them out.
    • Use Assualt riffle with Subsonic rounds to take out gaurds on towers and others that you cant get close to.
    • Its not the end of the world if u get spotted, go back to assault riffle switch to normal rounds, take them all out then go find  a alarm and deactivate. Then you can go back to being a ninja.

A few tips to make the game more enjoyable. really liking this game now !!

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By Seppli

I suggest investing heavily into Sabotage to make the minigames bareable. They'll be impossible otherwise later on. 

Also - remote hacking is for the win.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

See?  I knew this game would still be fun.

After giving it more thought, I think Obsidian must have licensed the
    engine for this game from someone else.  Then later on they were
    probably given assurances that the controls would be fixed by the
    engine designers & it never was. So they could either keep going
    & publish the game as-is, or have to start over from scratch, along
    with all the money they already sunk into the license.  I draw my
    conclusion from the fact that most games they have developed, 
    somebody else always built the engine & they licensed it, like they
    are doing with Fallout 3 Vegas.

If they one day produce a sequel to Alpha Protocol, they'll probably
    use a different engine & start from the ground up.  It would be 
    interesting to find out if they designed the engine or not.  Maybe
    they're trying to move away from having to license engines from
    other developers (which means there will be rough patches until
    they are straightened out).

Man I wish my game would hurry up & get here. Guess I won't
    get a chance to play it til this coming weekend.  I'm bummed.
    Been playing Alone in the Dark on my 360. Talk about a shitty
    controller system.  I'm sure I'll be raving about AP's controllers
    once I switch from AITD to AP.

LeBart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By LeBart
    @Seppli said:
    " I suggest investing heavily into Sabotage to make the minigames bareable. They'll be impossible otherwise later on."
    I don't have a single point in sabotage and don't find it that difficult. If you're too long with one hack, you can always hit B and restart, it won't start the alarm.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Rhaknar

dont get this the wrong way, i actually want to play the game, but ive seen the same comments in reviews and whatnot, pump points into stealth and assault rifles... I find it funny that you have to play the game like that to enjoy it, pretty much eliminating the whole "choose how to play" thing they were going for all these years marketing it :P

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By yinstarrunner

Yeah, stealth seems to be the way to go in order to get the most enjoyment out of the game.  I don't understand all the complaints about the shooting, though.  Ever since I got the ability to line up crits with my pistol from behind cover I've been rolling over everything. And the few times I've had to pull out my assault rifle it kicks some serious ass.  That's not to say the shooting is excellent or anything, just that I've not been missing my shots nearly as much as other people claim to.  As long as you remember to pull out your assault rifle for med-long range and stop trying to snipe with a pistol it shouldn't pose too many problems.

Anyway, I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would, though it has numerous problems.  It reminds me of a really janky version of Deus Ex.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Undeadpool
    @Rhaknar said:
    " dont get this the wrong way, i actually want to play the game, but ive seen the same comments in reviews and whatnot, pump points into stealth and assault rifles... I find it funny that you have to play the game like that to enjoy it, pretty much eliminating the whole "choose how to play" thing they were going for all these years marketing it :P "
    I agree. You shouldn't have to play a game that purports to be "customizable" a certain set way in order to make it bearable. Still probably going to pick up, because I'll deal with a lot of garbage for a good plot.
    larryrules138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By larryrules138
    @yinstarrunner said:
    " It reminds me of a really janky version of Deus Ex. "
    You don't even really need to say "really janky version" since Deus Ex was janky to begin with. When it was released it was criticized for having poor combat and AI, but a good story that was worth the frustration. Sounds kind of familiar eh?
    HombreGato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HombreGato

I hope people play the character they envision and not what the reviews recommend.  There were always character options and items in the old Black Isle and Troika games that let you bulldoze through enemies, but using them for that purpose defeats the immersion of western RPGS.  It's important for the developer to keep these options balanced, but even when they don't that one approach where it comes in handy contributes to selling you on your character's uniqueness, in the same way that Heavy Rain adds layers by letting you choose between orange juice and beer without transparent consequence.  For a nameless, faceless machine gunner, there's FPS, 3PS, and Action/Action/Action/RPGs.

Now did non-US states get this early to squeeze it in before the World Cup?  Everyone seems to have their opinion and I'm still waiting for June 1st.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Seppli
    @LeBart said:

" @Seppli said:

" I suggest investing heavily into Sabotage to make the minigames bareable. They'll be impossible otherwise later on."

I don't have a single point in sabotage and don't find it that difficult. If you're too long with one hack, you can always hit B and restart, it won't start the alarm. "
    Just wait and see. The minigames get increasingly difficult as you progress until they become physically impossible - unless you have specced at least partially into Sabotage. 

I didn't specc into Sabotage either in my first playthrough because it was so easy at first. I hated the gameplay for shitty minigames in last couple of missions because of that decision. I had to stop to hack/lockpick/shortcircuit anything other than the very necessary. The stealthy approach definitly doesn't work without sabotage in the later stages of the game, because you will set off every alarm. Luckily I was proficient with SMGs.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Seppli
    @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    " See?  I knew this game would still be fun.  After giving it more thought, I think Obsidian must have licensed the engine for this game from someone else.  Then later on they were probably given assurances that the controls would be fixed by the engine designers & it never was. So they could either keep going & publish the game as-is, or have to start over from scratch, along with all the money they already sunk into the license.  I draw my conclusion from the fact that most games they have developed,  somebody else always built the engine & they licensed it, like they are doing with Fallout 3 Vegas.  If they one day produce a sequel to Alpha Protocol, they'll probably use a different engine & start from the ground up.  It would be  interesting to find out if they designed the engine or not.  Maybe they're trying to move away from having to license engines from other developers (which means there will be rough patches until they are straightened out).  Man I wish my game would hurry up & get here. Guess I won't get a chance to play it til this coming weekend.  I'm bummed. Been playing Alone in the Dark on my 360. Talk about a shitty controller system.  I'm sure I'll be raving about AP's controllers once I switch from AITD to AP. "
    It's Unreal engine. FYI.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#12  Edited By Yummylee

Despite it's less average reviews, I still plan to give it a try sometime. The amount of versatility the plot offers looks well worth to put up with all the faults that get in your way. 

This and deadly premonition a match made in...purgatory.

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By clush
    @Undeadpool said:
    " @Rhaknar said:
    " dont get this the wrong way, i actually want to play the game, but ive seen the same comments in reviews and whatnot, pump points into stealth and assault rifles... I find it funny that you have to play the game like that to enjoy it, pretty much eliminating the whole "choose how to play" thing they were going for all these years marketing it :P "
    I agree. You shouldn't have to play a game that purports to be "customizable" a certain set way in order to make it bearable. Still probably going to pick up, because I'll deal with a lot of garbage for a good plot. "

I doubt this is true. To me, that sounds like the way to turn the RPG into a stealth shooter, which might be the reason people used to those kind of games find it more playable that way. I don't know Obsidian to fail on their spec balancing. Am I wrong?

Either way, I'll pick this up sometime soon if only to ease my conscience for pirating KotOR2 a couple of weeks ago, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Especially that game's morality appealed to me way more than the digital black and white approach Bioware took in the original. If the story holds up, which I hear it does, I'll gladly take any "jank" (people use that word too much on this site) they throw at me. Surely it can't be less streamlined than KotOR2...

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By yinstarrunner
    @Seppli: I just beat the game a couple of minutes ago. I had two points in sabotage (anything beyond that would be a waste for most characters TBH) and the armor upgrade (Printed Circuitry) that helps with the minigames.  If there's still a minigame that you keep failing at, there's an upgrade you can buy to the EMP grenades to let you use them to bypass those types.  I personally couldn't stand the computer hacking, but that was because the mouse control was so bad on that.  You follow all these steps, you should be alright on the sabotage front.  So, 6 skill points and some healthy investments get you a long way in compensating for the weakness of your speciality.

I don't think it's so much the game forcing you to play one way than it is the game beating you over the head since the beginning saying, "hey, these minigames are pretty common, and when you fuck up, bad shit happens! " If you haven't invested enough in your character so that they can get past those obstacles, you have to deal with the consequences.  You can still get the EMP upgrade and carry as many of those as you feel are necessary to beat the mission.
    larryrules138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By larryrules138
    @clush said:
    " @Undeadpool said:
    " @Rhaknar said:
    I agree. You shouldn't have to play a game that purports to be "customizable" a certain set way in order to make it bearable. Still probably going to pick up, because I'll deal with a lot of garbage for a good plot. "

I doubt this is true. To me, that sounds like the way to turn the RPG into a stealth shooter, which might be the reason people used to those kind of games find it more playable that way. I don't know Obsidian to fail on their spec balancing. Am I wrong?

Either way, I'll pick this up sometime soon if only to ease my conscience for pirating KotOR2 a couple of weeks ago, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Especially that game's morality appealed to me way more than the digital black and white approach Bioware took in the original. If the story holds up, which I hear it does, I'll gladly take any "jank" (people use that word too much on this site) they throw at me. Surely it can't be less streamlined than KotOR2...

"
    There isn't one spec that'll be able to breeze through the game in my experience. I think people are just recommending you go stealth/assault rifle because it's the one that requires the least amont of thought and planning. With an actual stealth spec'd character you need to play the game accordingly, and for some I can see that being frustrating if you aren't expecting it. The benefit of stealth and assault rifle is you can slink past or silently subdue most of the guards, but if things get hairy you can mow 'em down fairly easily. There are some boss fights where being spec'd in assault rifles is a godsend, but I'd imagine you can tackle these encounters fine with other builds as well.

Speaking of "jank," I haven't encountered much at all. I'm about halfway through the game now and I haven't had any horrible AI encounters like the ones described in reviews. What a lot of people missed in regards to AI is that the various gangs have their AI scaled according to their level of expertise. For example, if you're fighting against a ragtag gang with substandard weaponry, they'll behave stupidly, often charging directly after you and generally not behaving as a team. On the flipside, if you're facing some highly trained, cohesive unit, they're much smarter when it comes to tactics. They'll use cover differently, they'll approach the player differently in firefights, etc. The game flatout tells you about the various factions' tactics once you unlock more intel on them.

In regards to the review scores that are all over the damn place, I think it comes down to the fact that a lot of reviewers seemingly spent minimal time trying to understand this game. If they spent time unlocking all the intel on the factions they would've seen that occasional stupid AI is explained in the context of the story, and they would've realized playing commando-style with a stealth build is a surefire way to get killed often and have a lousy time. This is an RPG at its core, yet a surprising number of reviewers seemed to try to play this thing like it's Gears of War.

Minor boss spoiler
    HombreGato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HombreGato
    @larryrules138: 
    Yeah, unfortunately some people are reviewing this based on a narrow approach.  It becomes really interesting when you start experimenting.  RPGs often give you options that either lead nowhere, or penalize you as a way to make it *seem* like you have a choice.  Alpha Protocol actually rewards you for the road less traveled.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Seppli
    @yinstarrunner said:

" @Seppli: I just beat the game a couple of minutes ago. I had two points in sabotage (anything beyond that would be a waste for most characters TBH) and the armor upgrade (Printed Circuitry) that helps with the minigames.  If there's still a minigame that you keep failing at, there's an upgrade you can buy to the EMP grenades to let you use them to bypass those types.  I personally couldn't stand the computer hacking, but that was because the mouse control was so bad on that.  You follow all these steps, you should be alright on the sabotage front.  So, 6 skill points and some healthy investments get you a long way in compensating for the weakness of your speciality.  I don't think it's so much the game forcing you to play one way than it is the game beating you over the head since the beginning saying, "hey, these minigames are pretty common, and when you fuck up, bad shit happens! " If you haven't invested enough in your character so that they can get past those obstacles, you have to deal with the consequences.  You can still get the EMP upgrade and carry as many of those as you feel are necessary to beat the mission. "

It's not about 'not being able to beat the game' without points in Sabotage. It's about my enjoyment of playing the game suffering from not having any points in Sabotage. You can easily beat every mission with the alarm bells ringing all the time. It just bugs the hell out of me. Also, the minigames become nigh impossible to beat at their height without the Sabotage talents and/or gear. I find that an incredibly frustrating design choice. It's just no fun to be presented with an impossible to beat minigame without the chance to back off. Even if I haven't invested into the talents and gear, it should still be feasible to beat the challenge. It may be inconsequential, but it's more fun than failing by default.

FYI. The minigames get harder the further along you are in the campaign AND with higher difficulty settings. On hard you'll pretty much need 'Breaking and Entering (Master)' to beat the optional minigames at later stages in the game. Don't know about the PC version, but some minigames are physically impossible to beat, because the interface is too slow to beat the time limit.
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By yinstarrunner
    @Seppli:   You seem to think that you should be able to do every minigame without investing anything to allow your character to do so.  I respectfully disagree, although I concede that they might have just simply locked you off from some minigames if your skill level weren't high enough, similiar to Mass Effect 1, to maybe make it more accessible.   Or the ability to hit back without starting the alarm.  But I don't really mind the way they did it.  I barely ever failed the minigames myself.

Anyway, the main point of my post wasn't the difficulty of the minigames, it was a rebuttal to your suggestion of having to dump points into sabotage to make them doable.  I was just trying to show that it's not really necessary to invest a lot of points or money in order to get you past pretty much all of the minigames.  I haven't played on Hard mode, so I can't comment on that, but if it's as you say, that's pretty fucked up.  Admittedly, the controls for the Lockpicking and Bypassing minigames seem much better with the mouse than the gamepad from what I've seen, but the hacking game is utterly imprecise and banal on PC.  Still, if you aren't good at one of the minigames, or sluggish controls have you failing, I suggest carrying an ample supply of EMP grenades to take care of most of that type.

I'm fairly certain that any competent person playing on normal and following the tips in my previous post should have little trouble with the minigames.  I never got into a situation where I didn't think I could do one.  My main beef with the minigames is not their difficulty, but their faulty controls.  I'm sure it must be as rage-inducing trying to do the lockpicking with analog triggers as it is trying to do hacking with a mouse.
    BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By BigLemon

I feel like this game is going to be like the first Mass Effect. I know there have been lots of comparisons drawn between Alpha Protocol and Mass Effect 2, but this game has more in common with ME2's predecessor insofar as the technical issues, etc. As with the first Mass Effect game, there were plenty of grievances to be filed with the game concerning a wide variety of aspects, but many of those were corrected and the core game was improved upon in ME2. Hopefully, such will be the case with Alpha Protocol. Here we have a good premise for a solid game that will undoubtedly improve with a sequel. It happened with Mass Effect (and Uncharted, come to think of it), and I hope it happens here.

ooofafa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ooofafa

I play the game by shooting people in the face with a shotgun. it never misses.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.