New trailer on the 23 year anniversary of the original's release

Jimbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Looks incredibly good and I'm getting pretty hyped over it. Also in a missable moment from the trailer: check it out

"AVALANCHE ain't Wutai or anybody to fuck with!"

Game of the year.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I am still pretty skeptical about this whole affair, but I have to admit that they are definitely pulling out the bells and whistles for this, graphically speaking. I hope it's a more coherently-designed game than FFXV, though.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks . . . entirely atrocious. The voice-acting in that trailer is incomprehensibly terrible to the extent that I wouldn't buy it on that basis alone. Plus, the combat doesn't look so hot either - from what I've seen it's all flash and no substance.

And if that weren't enough - they're intent on pronouncing it "MAH-KO."

Hard pass.

@rorie said:

I am still pretty skeptical about this whole affair, but I have to admit that they are definitely pulling out the bells and whistles for this, graphically speaking. I hope it's a more coherently-designed game than FFXV, though.

Seriously. If Squeenix spent half the time on designing their systems as they did on graphical presentation, they'd be pumping out awesome games. Instead, they seem to think the world will end if there is a single hair out of place on a character's head (and ties/necklaces are definitely the series' new belts, if that trailer is anything to go by).

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

@therealturk: Voice acting out of context in a trailer never sounds right until you've heard it in the game. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I think it looks quite awesome. Some of these characters look straight out of Yakuza or something. Don Corneo has that Street Fighter round belly.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A warts and all remake of the original and tbh it looks pretty great, much better than it has any right to be, the only downer I can't take time off work in April.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Looks fantastic, and I'm ready for them to change whatever the hell they want. The original will always be there so I'm excited for things to be remixed or restructured. The battle system was the piece I cared about the least, but even that looks well designed.

The redone battle theme sounds absolutely incredible, so at the very least I'm expecting big things from the OST.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

And there's the crossdressing. That gives me hope that this will retain the goofy sense of humor of the original. I enjoyed that rendition of the standard boss battle music towards the end of the trailer as well.

After that in-depth showcase of the combat they did at E3, I'm pretty confident that the hacking and slashing will be a good time. At this point the only thing I'm worried about is the story. They've made it abundantly clear that things are going to be fairly different; I just hope they do a good job with it.

Also, is that Soldier guy at 1:42 supposed to be recognizable? I never played Crisis Core.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@relkin said:

Also, is that Soldier guy at 1:42 supposed to be recognizable? I never played Crisis Core.

No, pretty sure he's new.

Can't say it doesn't look bad at least, though I wonder how they haven't spoiled at this point. And while it isn't terrible I do find it strange SE voice acting still shades toward early-aughts anime quality still.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10 chaser324  Moderator

This thing is definitely going to be a spectacle. Hopefully it'll come together as a decent game, too.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

Can't wait!

That's all I got at this point.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this looks- good for what it is i guess?

i bought a ps1 in 97 specifically to play this game, so it should have a hardline into the nostalgia-core of my brain. buuut i have to say- a prettied up version of a game from my childhood really isn't doing much for me.

davidfox1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks great. As a few others have pointed out though, this voice acting sounds bad. I’m not American so I’d like to ask if it sounds “natural” or “good” to some American duders here.

The fantastical setting and personalities of these characters just doesn’t gel with the budget Pixar voices I’m hearing.

I’m hoping they’ll release a Japanese voice/English subs version.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Battle system looks like it'll be fun, but from the footage of the leaked demo a couple weeks ago and these new scenes in the trailer, I have a very bad feeling about the story side of things. This game looks like it's going to have a real issue crossing over from Japanese to English, similar to Kingdom Hearts.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By wollywoo

It certainly looks like a Final Fantasy game. I really like that at 0:20 there is a full five seconds of every character just doing anime-style gasps.

Honestly the whole the looks corny as fuck in a way that somehow makes me want to play it.

Edit: I have to mention that the music for this trailer is godawful.

Avatar image for soimadeanaccount
soimadeanaccount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By soimadeanaccount

Graphic looks fine, presentation looks fine as expected of SE.

Dialog and voice acting are...as expect of SE as well I guess. Honestly at this point I wonder what is wrong with it. The writing? The lines themselves? The direction of the voice work? All the voices just blend together for me, like multiple characters all sounding the same. For one of the bigger component to make your character stand out as, well, a character, most of them just sound generic, it's not terrible, but just kind of there. Strangely enough Barret and the Honey Bee inn guy turn out ok so far, which have the potential to be the worst...

I feel like regardless of what how this thing will turn out it is going to be a lighting rod for internet's hot takes and youtube-esq responses, or maybe we are already there. Perhaps a giant meteor slamming into the planet is actually the best ending.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I keep joking that this game actually comes out in 2021, but I might double dip for crossdressing Cloud.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty hyped for it and I'm loving everything I'm seeing so far. Not sure if it will be my GOTY or not still. So many amazing games coming out this year.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks really great, but as much as I loved the story back in the day, what I really loved was the gameplay. My best memory of the game was after the story and getting all the ultima weapons by beating those optional bosses.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

The voice acting sounds just about what I'd expect from a JRPG which is a resounding 'meh' at best.

Other than that, this looks great though. Definitely gonna pick it up.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have the english voices ever been good? I'm playing through FFXV again, originally I played with the Japanese dialog, and now I'm playing in english and it's not great. But I don't expect them to be. They are, after all, Japanese games.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've just about finished the original and, to be honest, that'll do me. I guess modern Final Fantasy just doesn't have the same pull as the classics.