Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gearbox Software LLC

Company »

Gearbox is a company best known for their early work on the Half-Life series, WWII video game series Brothers in Arms, Borderlands and Duke Nukem Forever.

Do you still trust Gearbox?

• 75 results
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll Do you still trust Gearbox? (430 votes)

Yes I do, and I don't think people have been fair to them 4%
    Yes, but only when it comes to Borderlands 12%
    Yes, but only when it comes to games that they developed themselves 10%
    I'm not sure anymore 18%
    No, I would say they've been misleading 32%
    No, and I consider them to be liars 24%

So consumer advocate extraordinaire Jim Sterling just released yet another video regarding the Aliens vs Colonial Marines situation.

He certainly makes some strong points against Gearbox, and I agree that the company has handled the whole lawsuit issue horribly. The defense of Duke Nukem Forever and their Aliens title has been positively shameful, IMO.

On the other hand, they did recently release the Handsome Collection in a fairly broken state when it comes to frame-rate, but they actually went back and fixed that game. The season pass for Borderlands 2 was also some of the best DLC I've ever played--especially the last add-on--so that really wasn't a "take the money and run" type deal either.

But what do you think? Do you still trust Gearbox? Have their comments on their lawsuit hurt your opinion of the company, or do you agree with how they've been defending themselves?

• 
    Avanzato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

There's so much BS with Randy/Gearbox, I had completely missed the CodeHunters = Borderlands art style shenanigans, until yesterday when the Jimquistion did a Twitter run down on the AskRandy #tag.

Punched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: Don't really see your issue regarding the comments over the lawsuit. They seem spot on.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Trusting developers/publishers is only ever a problem if you pre-order or buy games at launch. I rarely ever do, and when I have (like Batman recently) I almost always regret it.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Gearbox makes Borderlands.I like Borderlands. I buy the Borderlands games and play them when the mood strikes me.

That's pretty much it.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Trusting companies is not something anyone should do. I'll trust the products that get good reviews and appeal to me.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

It's easy to forget that Gearbox employs/has employed A LOT of people over the years, some of them I'm sure are decent and trustworthy folk. There are a few narcissistic and untrustworthy individuals, sure, even some pulling the strings, but just remember that not everyone working for them or has spoken for them are elitist pricks.

I say let the products let themselves speak for themselves.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only trust them with borderlands because its my favorite game series ever and i love all the games.I dont think they could make a bad borderlands game if they just follow the formula,so i trust them to make them good.Never really liked anything else they have done,so i wouldnt trust them for anything else.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#58  Edited By donutfever

Moreso than with most other devs, I wait a while after release to see if there's any issues.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They have released products of dubious quality in the past, as well as had E3 presentations that are not properly representative of the final game. Natural that some would not trust them anymore. Rockstar actually places higher on my dubious-o-meter for the stuff they pulled during the Steam sale to deny people the ability to refund. That's far worse than releasing a crappy game, at least in my opinion.

I still think that the lawsuit is ridiculous. I get that people got burned with Aliens and are pretty upset about it, but I think it's taking the whole thing a bit too far and shoveling off any responsibility on part of the consumer to not be suckered in by advertising and actually think about pre-ordering (unless I missed some major part of the case, it's mainly the pre-release demoes people are taking umbrage with right?). If anything, I'd be worried about the precedent set by a victory here.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm just going to copy exactly what MB said above, because it is truth:

"I don't "trust" developers. I take each game on its own merits and never preorder."

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By rollingzeppelin

The only developer that has my trust is CDPR and even then I waited to see what the final verdict on TW3 was before I bought it.

That said Gearbox pulled a bunch of bullshit with Aliens to an unacceptable degree. The way they fabricated the E3 'vertical slices' means that literally anything they show to the media is untrustworthy. They might as well not advertise their games until after they release them.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

I trust only a handful of devs and Gearbox was never one of them. Do I think they make good games, on average? No, and Aliens contributed to that opinion.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Gearbox makes Borderlands.I like Borderlands. I buy the Borderlands games and play them when the mood strikes me.

That's pretty much it.

That is at least honest and logical. I like game + they make game = I buy game.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Not really, but mostly I don't trust Randy Pitchford, as I believe there are plenty of decent people working at the company and the Borderlands games have been free of issues so far. However, he appears to be a self-satisfied scumbag who should be silenced by the company's board of directors before he does more harm to its reputation.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mb hit it on the head that there is no point in "trusting" a developer - you should really do your own due diligence (research, look at reviews & videos) and not just blindly buy any game; but I absolutely do not take anything Randy "Pitch-man" Pitchford says at face value. His enthusiasm is only matched by his... sketchiness.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they made a new Brothers in Arms game, I would buy it. I really enjoyed Road to Hill 30. Hell's Highway was a bit too dramatic for me. I'd rather play what is essentially a Band of Brothers video game than Metal Gear Solid-lite in Holland.

Avatar image for dostoyevskysshamblingcorpse
    DostoyevskysShamblingCorpse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Trust? Yes.

Like? No

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

There are developers I give the benefit of the doubt and those I do not, that's about as much as I can say. Gearbox frankly isn't a developer I've ever cared about, one way or the other.

I seem to be very, very out of the ordinary though when it comes games though, being that I'm quite forgiving of the very same things that drive people into a shaking rage (performance, bugs, graphics). So yeah, I'm not a great barometer.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been quite awhile since they put out something good, the first Borderlands was good but looking back on it it was fairly simple, Unreal Engine maps linked together with loading screens, rpg skill trees and loot which at the time was in most things, the sequel was more of the same.
    I really enjoyed BIA: Hell's Highway, they put a good looking wrapper onto that rewarding gameplay however the story was kind of a retread of previous games, and i liked Duke Nukem Forever in a simple dumb way, but everything else doesn't seem worth playing.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only if we're talking about Broderbunds

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Borderlands. I'll buy the next one if it's reasonably good. What more investment do I need with a company?

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By DonPixel

@mb said:

I don't "trust" developers. I take each game on it's own merits and never preorder.

best practice indeed

Nothing wrong about condemning a blatantly lier dev thought

vampire_chibi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42: was brothers in arms successful? The games were awesome and my favorite ww2 shooters ever released. Well hells highway wasn't as good but it was still decent. They just need to put out an amazing brothers in arms game again and I'll think they're not a shitty developer again.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laserbolts: Can't say I have any numbers or anything, but from what I gather it seems like it was a decent franchise that probably sold less than it deserved.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.