Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Nintendo Direct 1/11/18

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Here it is for those who want to watch rather than read.

Nothing too mind-blowing (it's not E3 after all), but some cool announcements:

• World Ends with You coming with a new addition to the story
    • New fighters in Pokken Tournment
    • Kirby Star Allies officially comes out March 16 and features new Copy Abilities
    • Hyrule Warriors coming with everything from both versions and BotW skins
    • New Mario Tennis game with a story mode for the first time since GBA
    • Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana coming in summer
    • New online Balloon Mode (competitive multiplayer) along with new outfits coming in free update for Odyssey
    • SNK Heroines: Tag Team Battle
    • DK coming to Mario+Rabbids in DLC
    • Payday 2 getting exclusive character
    • Fe coming to Switch (not sure if that's new)
    • Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze port with new playable character
    • Dark Souls Remastered coming to Switch
    Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The TWEWY and Dark Souls announcements are huuuuuuggeeee and the Mario Tennis and Kirby games look fantastic.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They didn't mention the January Xenoblade Chronicles 2 DLC at all :(

Drakoji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Drakoji

@puchiko:They will maybe do a little mini direct for it too, they did that before.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Definitely looking forward to Donkey Kong and Ys. Neat!

Zoidberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

A lotta folks on Switch-specific websites seem to be disappointed by this mini direct, but I'm feeling good about it. Granted: I've played 0 of these games before, so I've got quite a few new experiences to look forward to (though, even for me, the most exciting games happen to be the truly new releases, Kirby and Mario Tennis).

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ripelivejam

Payday 2 was already out on Switch?

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I am such a happy little dark souls fan right now.

mortonan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I was hoping for a Tropical Freeze port. I'll play that again. The World Ends With You is a nice surprise too.

Other than that the first half of 2018 seems pretty slim. Just those Bayonetta ports and some indies I'm probably forgetting.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not willing to pay Nintendo prices to play any of these ports/remasters, so that's a shame. I hope they don't fall back on this stuff for too long.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

A lot of good stuff. If you are a kid with only a switch you have a lot to choose from. And as someone who didn't have a Wii U there is a lot to interest me as well.

I just have to decide if I want to get Dark Souls on the Switch or Xbox One.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MezZa

I like this for the most part. The upcoming ports interest me well enough. I never played Tropical Freeze and I'll always take more dark souls. I also really like Mario Tennis so I'm glad to see that return. TWEWY is one of my favorite DS games and I haven't played it in years. Hyrule Warriors doesn't really interest me much. I already bought Fire Emblem Warriors so I don't really need another Warriors game.

I'm just hoping we'll see something about new games soon. Need some news on that Fire Emblem. And it would be nice to have some kind of road map on what the Smash Bros series is doing right now.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TWEWY GOTY. Not even 2 weeks in, a winner is decided.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great, another Falcom game that I'll buy again even though I already own it on another system. Its like they know I'm a sucker.

And TWEWY! The last good RPG Squeenix has ever made.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I think the best news is that this is a "Mini" direct, which means perhaps there's some bigger titles yet to unveil at a later date.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
    Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#17  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils

I was really hoping this would be a proper Direct with some information about the new Fire Emblem coming this year but some of these port announcements are pretty cool. Personally I am pretty excited that Ys VIII is coming to the Switch.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was pretty pleased with it. Even though it was mostly ports I think I will buy some again. Looking forward to TWEWY and Mario Tennis the most.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By 49th

Not much I'm interested in here. I'll check out the Mario DLC but I don't care for any of the 2D platformers they are (re) releasing. I'd really like Wind Waker HD on Switch so hopefully they announce that next.

It will be interesting to see how they put TWEWY on Switch even if I didn't like that game very much. Maybe they will be able to solve the problem of trying to control 2 characters at the same time.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw people going out of control with their predictions for this direct so not surprised some are disappointed (thought the lack of added functionality and vc is lame) but other than that... as someone who didn't own a WiiU this is another year where every month appears to have a notable release and that's good enough for me, all the games they showed looked ace.

And the idea of the Switch being a greatest hits portable console sounds fine by me.

MundaneSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh Christ, I think we know what to expect from Dan in the Best Music deliberations this year.

I am pretty excited about TWEWY and Dark Souls on Switch, though.

Par1val

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Happy to see other TWEWY fans. Also, I’m totally okay with more dark souls.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By MachoFantastico

Super happy about The World Ends With You getting some love again, such an underappreciated DS game with an amazing soundtrack.

Also delighted that Nintendo is bringing Hyrule Warriors over to the Switch. Now all I need is Xenoblade Chronicles X and Super Smash Bros Switch. There's a lot of Wii U games that deserve a bigger audience on the Switch.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I will gladly play TWEWY again, especially if it's based on the single screen remake. The double screen wasn't hard, but it did feel like an unnecessay handicap - like clapping while jogging.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By TheChris

Didn't like the original Dark Souls all that much so maybe I'll give it another whirl this time on Switch, unless it takes up all the SD Card memory. Plus 30fps isn't that enticing. Anything else from this direct didn't interest me, hope they'll talk about Fire Emblem soon.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit this is pretty exciting news. And I don't even have a Switch yet!

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's built upon Dark Souls III tech, this remaster could feel a little weird. Weird enough to maybe consider a purchase. Maybe.

iam16bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not a Dark Souls fan but it's interesting to see it announced for the Switch. Nintendo has done a good job at getting 3d parties on board and I look forward to see what they'll reveal at E3.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those are some good announcements, though I am not personally interested in The World Ends With You, that's a game my brother is super into. I really like Dark Souls and that's a cool announcement, but I'm not excited about the Switch version, so I'll take a look at the PS4 version. No plan on playing the Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze remaster. Super Mario Tennis might be worth looking into. I hope we see Metroid Prime Trilogy in the future! Come on.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By MocBucket62

For a Direct Mini, there were some pretty solid announcements. Dark Souls Remastered is pretty sweet, so now I have a system to finally play a Dark Souls game.

Also good to see that Mario Tennis Aces already looks leagues better than the Wii U Mario Tennis from the Story Mode to seeing Wario and Waluigi in proper Tennis gear. Would have thought they would make Mario Golf next since there hasn't been a console Mario Golf since the GC, but hey I'm not complaining.

I might even give TWEWY a try too. Seeing that its a cult classic that's drenched in style, I can see myself playing around with it.

EDIT: Maybe the most underappreciated announcement of the Direct is that SNK is making an all Female tag fighter that's coming to the Switch and PS4.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Heltom92

Never played TWEWY or Tropical Freeze so I’ll probably give those a go. Dark Souls on Switch is definitely appealing but I reckon I’ll get it on PS4 for the 60 FPS.

Overall I’d say this was a pretty good Direct.

slipperyfox23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By slipperyfox23

I was happy to Kirby and Mario Tennis. They should be good games to play with the family. I might try Hyrule Warriors too now that I can.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who's played almost all of these games i'm not too impressed, good for those who havent though.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I'm excited as always for Kirby. Haven't gotten into a Souls or Donkey Kong Country game yet, but I have Demon's Souls and Donkey Kong Country Returns in my backlog, so I guess those will determine whether I'm picking up Dark Souls Remastered and Tropical Freeze.

I've seen The World Ends With You in people's "Underrated/Best Games on DS" lists, but never tried it myself. Is it really that awesome?

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BrunoTheThird

I nearly screamed when they showed The World Ends with You, not gonna lie. It's the one DS game I regret never playing. The almost rhythm game/RPG hybrid gameplay always looked cool, the J-pop/J-hop soundtrack was dope, and it got that styyyyyyle of Persona and JSRF. I will play the shit it out it.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

New console SNK game dogs

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Just because nobody seems to mention it: Celeste looks dope. Towerfall was not my favourite of the local multiplayer craze but I liked it. Celeste seems to have the perfect controls Towerfall had but uses them for Super Meat Boy style platforming. It seems like my kind of jam.

Qrowdyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No heavy hitters :(

Will probably play TWEWY and a couple of the other ports, but not an exciting one for me.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Axersia

Switch is killing it!

Mario Tennis Aces
    I haven't played a Mario sports game since Mario Tennis/Golf on the GBA, so if this is like those games, that's a day-1 buy for me.

Hyrule Warriors Definitive
    Never got around to buying the 3DS version as I heard it didn't run well on a regular 3DS, and was too busy playing other games after I got a New 3DS. Glad I held off, and this'll be a day-1 buy for me.

Dark Souls
    Portable Dark Souls, 'nuff said. Day-1 buy.

The World Ends with You
    I quite liked the game on DS and got through most of it, but eventually got too obsessed grinding Bravery on the boys to make them wear girls clothes, and ultimately didn't beat it. This I'll probably pick up, unless I decide to just restart the DS version.

Ys VIII
    Would've been a day-1 buy had I not already beat it on PS4, and at 40+ hours, twice as long as the previously longest Ys games, it's quite the commitment. I'm glad we have some Falcom representation on the system, though. I know it's ported by NIS, but hopefully it causes Falcom to see the light and port over the Cold Steel series.

SNK Heroines: Tag Team Battle
    Might be interested in this but that really depends on whether it has a decent offline story mode. So far all the talk has been about online, spectating/betting, and tons of character customization, which isn't enough for me.

Overall I was quite happy. The only thing that was missing here is Dragon Quest XI, but that'll probably be an E3 thing. I'm also waiting for the inevitable Xenoblade X announcement.

buffaloseven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Really excited for Tropical Freeze. Never owned a Wii U, and loved Donkey Kong Returns on the 3DS despite being annoyed immensely by the relatively poor visuals. Moving that gameplay to HD is going to be a dream.

I'm intrigued by the DK add-on for Rabbids as that's actually one of my favourite Switch games so far, but if it doesn't really make a meaningful difference to the gameplay I probably won't go for it. Mario Tennis also has the potential to be pretty great!

Lots of people mentioning 30FPS for Dark Souls in this thread; did I miss somewhere that was announced?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.