Hello and welcome to another exciting edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight and I, @zombiepie, am once again you host as we look back at the best creative endeavors of the community!Bow howdy do we have a lot to talk about this week. First, this might be the most exhaustive list of housekeeping items I have ever compiled for the Community Spotlight. Seriously, review the bullet points this week as there is a lot of important news you may have missed this week. Second, the Giant Bomb community wrote up a storm this week with an inordinate number of blogs and reviews. While both do not capture the comments or attention of works of art or videos, I implore you to go out of your way to read at least one blog from a user you have never heard of before. For people who enjoy writing, even a single comment of support can do wonders during this stressful period of time. Alright, with that little rant, let's jump into the housekeeping!
- No planned streams or scheduled live-videos on Monday as it is a U.S. national holiday.
- If you watch videos on Apple TV, check out this new user-created app with quality-of-life features that might tickle your fancy!
- We have an update on the Roku app not working! Try uninstalling the beta version and using the official release. If you are still having issues, post a bug report over here.
- We also have an update on the Giant Bomb API! Filtering user reviews by game is ready to use and releases should be filterable by game!
- Unfortunately, there's a new bug on the site impacting people's ability to watch videos on-site. If the "Play" button is not working for you on videos, please report the issue using this link!
- Screened celebrated its 10th anniversary and if you have not checked out the Screened anniversary podcast, you should definitely fix that! Speaking of which, Rorie published a blog on their favorite books, movies, and TV shows of recent.
This week's promo image comes from the GB Reddit by a community member named @spacedongle.
You can check out the full post here.
Tweets Of The Week
I got Bubsy'd! I got Bubsy'd!!— Giant Bomb Out of Context (@giantbomb_ooc) May 22, 2020
- Vinny Caravella, 2017
Hey @ybbaaabby I know your love of @DollyParton knows no bound. My team at work had a partnership with her to make customized birthday videos. Here is one for you!!— Zac Paladino 🌮 (@Paladizm) May 19, 2020
If you dig it check out the app: https://t.co/LFXApjun9W pic.twitter.com/Ah2m5YZblc
Clips Of The Week
This week andyrentz animated one of the most hilarious moments from Giant Bomb's Mario Party Party video series. Give the video a watch and send them your thanks for making this wonderful video!
I know this isn't exactly a tradition "activity" but it deserves some mention on the Spotlight and this felt like the best place to put it. Twitter user abneyonline felt inspired to make a Giant Bomb browser game after enjoying Alex's Truck Sim streams during the pandemic. As a result, they decided to make a Giant Bomb themed version of Desert Bus! Yup, in real-time drive from San Francisco to E3 20XX with the (randomly generated) Giant Bomb crew!
danielkempster provides an update on their time with Animal Crossing: New Horizons as well as their two cents worth on if it is a human interaction stand-in during the pandemic.
PurpleShyGuy hasn't always been a fan of turn-based gameplay, even in strategy games, but this week on the site shares their favorite modern games with turn-based combat!
MooseyMcMan sunk three solid days into Farming Simulator and shares on their latest blog what they learned about what drives people towards the simulator genre.
DrinkMoxie is starting a new series where they "re-create" the mixed drinks and cocktails from video games! Their first post, which would make Dan and Drew proud, recreates the Painkiller from Phantom Pain!
MajorMitch has a new "Gaming Memories" blog post on Giant Bomb about GoldenEye 007! Read why they think everyone should respect the game even if it appears dated by today's standards.
Giant Bomb user escapevelocity was inspired by Jan's series on Trails in the Sky that they started a "journal" as they play the game! Read all about their thoughts of the game's opening chapters!
stantongrouse grew up during the 1980's and assesses the various attempts to emulate the 80's aesthetic in racing games! See which games they think pass muster.
Finally, ArbitraryWater continues to play "dubious" CRPGs this week, and the topic of their latest blog is Nox! Remember when Westwood Studios tried to make a CRPG?
First, Mento wraps up their blog retrospective on Gothic II: Night of the Raven today with a deeper look at its mechanics and how it makes Gothic II more difficult. Lastly, nothing stops Mento's "Indie Game of the Week" series and this time they looked at Anodyne 2: Return to Dust! Read why they enjoyed the game's quirkiness and utterly strange locals.
Many years ago Drew played Paca Plus during a UPF segment. Now, moderator ZombiePie "sets the record straight" on the viral alpaca dating sensation that is Paca Plus.
Discussions & Threads
A lot of users are mentioning how the rebooted Hotspot is quickly becoming their favorite podcast on Giant Bomb. Use the link above to join the community discussion about what makes it so entertaining and fun.
Jeff streamed some of the Saints Row: The Third Remaster yesterday, but have any of you given the re-release a shot? Join the Giant Bomb community discussion about whether or not this is a good trip down memory lane.
Have any of you checked out the Mafia game remasters? Feel free to share your two cents' worth about each game with the rest of the Giant Bomb community using the link.
Calling all pen and paper as well as Dungeon and Dragons players! Here's a link to the community discussion about how to best replicate the tabletop experience digitally or by yourself. Share your tips and tricks!
During the pandemic, Jan has taken a front seat in creating video content for the site, so, join the rest of the Giant Bomb community in thanking him for getting out of his comfort zone!
Here's a thread that hopefully gets more input from the community: how are you monitoring your screen and video game playing time to maintain your health? Share your tips using the link below!
RioStarwind played a smorgasbord of video games during spring and you can read all about them! Beat Em Up's! Action RPG's! Sonic! And even a visual novel! They have a little bit something for everyone!
- @humanity shares why they were not entirely impressed by Doom Eternal and its rendition of Hell on Earth and was left with a feeling of disappointment.
- @tds418 decided to revisit one of their favorite 360 launch titles, Condemned: Criminal Origins, and shares why it is still a fine game, albeit, not without flaws.
- @bonbonetti's Sudden Strike 4 review details why they consider the game more accessible, but also lacking the heart of what defines the series.
- @riostarwind decided to get nostalgic by checking out WayForward's Shantae remake on the 3DS. Read why they found it to be a fun, but limiting experience.
- @yyninja is always up for a new strategy game, but shares in their review why they were not at all impressed with Gears Tactics.