Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Nov 16, 2010

The third installment in the Assassin's Creed franchise, this game's story picks up right after the events of Assassin's Creed II, showing Ezio Auditore traveling to Rome to recruit a new force of assassins. Brotherhood is the first game in the series to offer online multiplayer.

Ubisoft package pirated soundtrack with digital edition

djames216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By djames216

I couldn't help but notice this story linked on Steam's page for Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/16/ubisoft-include-pirated-soundtrack-as-part-of-assassins-creed-brotherhood-digital-edition/
    Basically, Ubisoft have packed a known pirated copy of their own soundtrack for the game in with the digital edition that certain consumers qualify for.  This is reprehensible and downright hypocritical.  They have seriously reduced their argument against piracy when they turn around and utilise this illegal avenue themselves.  I just find it incredible that they would even do this.  Is it so hard to encode your own soundtrack into MP3s Ubisoft?

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FlyingRat

I think you're overreacting a little, man.

djames216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By djames216
    @FlyingRat:  I'm not overreacting.  It's a question of principle.
    time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By time allen

are they trying reverse psychology on us now?

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By beforet

That's just hilarious.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hunkulese

They own it. They're not illegally downloading it. I don't really see what the issue is. If the work has already been done for them why do it again. It's not really that rare. Other companies do it as well.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By I_smell
    @djames216 said:
    "This is reprehensible and downright hypocritical.  They have seriously reduced their argument against piracy when they turn around and utilise this illegal avenue themselves."
    Pirates are downloading shit without paying for it.
    Ubisoft downloaded THEIR OWN THING THAT THEY LITERALLY MADE cos it's probably easier to do that than contact the soundtrack guys on the other side of the country.

You idiot.
    fenix1989uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By fenix1989uk
    @I_smell said:
    " @djames216 said:
    "This is reprehensible and downright hypocritical.  They have seriously reduced their argument against piracy when they turn around and utilise this illegal avenue themselves."
    Ubisoft downloaded THEIR OWN THING THAT THEY LITERALLY MADE cos it's probably easier to do that than contact the soundtrack guys on the other side of the country.

You idiot. "
    I concur.
    Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Chokobo
    @I_smell said:
    " @djames216 said:

You idiot. "
    ^ Pretty much.

Don't see what the problem is with them packaging something THEY MADE with a game THEY MADE is a problem.  

Oh, because you thought that they made the game and popped in the beta copy and music was just magically generated, then when it got ripped and pirated, they went, "fuck yeah!  Now we have an excuse to use this magically created content that we have no hand in creating whatsoever!"  

That's it, right?

Right?
    EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By EuanDewar

Think before you post.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ajamafalous

IIRC, they also distributed a crack created by pirates for RSV2 a few years ago.

djames216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By djames216

It's not a question of practicality.  I'm well aware that it's easier. It still doesn't mean they should do it.  You are simply not getting the point.  Yes it's their own stuff.  But it's like they are sending out a message to people saying "Download our stuff illegally, we don't care.  We do it. You might as well too."  As I said in a previous post.  It's a question of principle.  If they don't want people to pirate their stuff, then this is sending out the wrong message.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By BrittonPeele

One thing that I can't believe hasn't been mentioned by any news outlets is that the Assassin's Creed Brotherhood soundtrack existed BEFORE the game came out. Ubisoft sent me a copy on a CD when I got my 360 copy of AC:B for review. So I'm not 100% sure I believe the claims that this new soundtrack is pirated (though I'm not sure how much the two differ, if at all). 

But either way, yeah, Ubisoft owns it. They can do whatever the hell they want with it.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hunkulese
    @djames216 said:
    " It's not a question of practicality.  I'm well aware that it's easier. It still doesn't mean they should do it.  You are simply not getting the point.  Yes it's their own stuff.  But it's like they are sending out a message to people saying "Download our stuff illegally, we don't care.  We do it. You might as well too."  As I said in a previous post.  It's a question of principle.  If they don't want people to pirate their stuff, then this is sending out the wrong message. "
    In what possible way can you think this sends out a message to download their stuff illegally.  

I guess you're just looking for whatever excuse you can to feel better inside after you pirate a game.
    Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Chokobo
    You're looking into this way too much.  It really doesn't matter in the grand scheme.  They aren't sending out any kind of "message" by doing this. 

@djames216 said:
    But it's like they are sending out a message to people saying "Download our stuff illegally, we don't care.  We do it. You might as well too."

Here's my main problem with your hypothesis.  I don't see how you can possibly view this as, "We illegally download our own stuff."  Them releasing a soundtrack that was previously leaked isn't some sort of tacit agreement of co-operation with warez sites.
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By I_smell
    @djames216 said:

"Download our stuff illegally, we don't care.  We do it. You might as well too."

They downloaded this cos it was fast, and they made it.
    People pirate shit cos they don't wanna pay the people who made it.

This is two seperate things. The guy at Ubisoft who did this didn't slip up or make any kind of mistake at all, you've not caught anyone red-handed, nobody's a hypocrit, the piracy community is just being a dick as usual.
    That's all that's happening.
    Avatar image for christiancastillo
    ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It seems you do not understand what piracy means.....

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18  Edited By jakob187

I understand the point the OP is making:  Ubisoft offering an originally pirated copy of their own soundtrack in a digital edition...then selling that pirated copy of the soundtrack with the game...is kind of dumb on Ubisoft's part based solely on principle. 

I also understand the point of the other people:  congratulations to pirates for working for free to give Ubisoft a copy of their soundtrack that they can package in with their game and sell to customers.

djames216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By djames216
    @jakob187 said:
    " I understand the point the OP is making:  Ubisoft offering an originally pirated copy of their own soundtrack in a digital edition...then selling that pirated copy of the soundtrack with the game...is kind of dumb on Ubisoft's part based solely on principle.  I also understand the point of the other people:  congratulations to pirates for working for free to give Ubisoft a copy of their soundtrack that they can package in with their game and sell to customers. "
    This is kind of the stance I was trying to make, but I feel like I didn't explain it well enough. 

@Chokobo said:
    "I don't see how you can possibly view this as, "We illegally download our own stuff."  Them releasing a soundtrack that was previously leaked isn't some sort of tacit agreement of co-operation with warez sites. "
    I never did, I seem to have chosen my words poorly - I did not mean to say that Ubisoft were illegally downloading, because clearly they are not.  Containing pirated material in an offical product just seems like they are almost advocating piracy in general.  At no point did I imply any kind of agreement with "warez sites", tacit or otherwise.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Vinny_Says

How would one pirate their own stuff? This thread makes no sense.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.