Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed Origins

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Oct 27, 2017

Assassin's Creed Origins is an action-adventure RPG video game developed by Ubisoft Montreal and published by Ubisoft. It is the tenth major installment in the Assassin's Creed series and the successor to 2015's Assassin's Creed Syndicate.

Should I get origins or go back to Black flag?

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By super2j

The last game in the series I played was brotherhood( actually, it was Revelation's multiplayer).

I always wanted to play Black flag because of the boat stuff(didn't have a PS4 until this year). However, Origin's Egypt setting really caught my attention and looks exciting.

I have only so much stamina for open world games like these. And playing two assassin's Creed games in a row seems like a terrible idea.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I like this game quite a bit but honestly Black Flag is still the most 'unique' game in this series for a lot of reasons and it's really worth checking out.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorta early to say for me, but I'm fairly sure Black Flag will remain my favorite after having finished this one.

echasketchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Origins has better combat but I can't compare them completely yet. Black Flag is cheaper and a game that is known to be a great experience, so I'd start there personally. By the time you're done with it and ready for another AC, this one will probably have a price drop anyway.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont know about origins but black flag is overrated. The boat stuff is novel but not that great imo, and the rest was not interesting to me. I liked syndicate alot as it had better controls and a cool grapple hook, also a murder cane.

But if you really love the boat stuff you may love black flag.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

I also thought Black Flag was overrated, though I will expand on that..

• I had a lot of fun with the boat stuff for about 20 hours or so. Just sailing around doing piratey stuff was great fun. Can definitely visualize someone completely loving the boat stuff, and just playing around that.
    • Every single moment I spent on foot was a serious bore, and I couldn't get through it all. Totally ignored every quest after getting enough boat freedom
    • The "modern day" stuff is definitely a hilarious spin on things, but it's not worth playing the game for
    • The Caribbean is just not a great setting for interesting navigation & climbing
    • The combat is very automated & super easy
    • hmmm but that boat stuff *was* pretty excellent! The pirate shantis are awesome.

I think, if you really like AC and are in the mood for more, Black Flag will probably be fun for you, with the boat stuff adding a nice novelty, but the cities leaving something to be desired.

All of the above aside, I would totally suggest just trying Black Flag for the right price, which for me is about $15.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#7  Edited By Kidavenger

Black flag was the one that I fell off on (I liked Revelations a lot and enjoyed 3 despite it's obvious flaws), the story just wasn't there for Black flag, it was more of an aimless battle sandbox.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I dont know about origins but black flag is overrated. The boat stuff is novel but not that great imo, and the rest was not interesting to me. I liked syndicate alot as it had better controls and a cool grapple hook, also a murder cane.

But if you really love the boat stuff you may love black flag.

I am in this camp. If I had to go back to one it would be Syndicate.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I liked Black Flag a lot - I enjoyed exploring the world and the sea shanties. Ship combat was a big part of it though. Syndicate was great - that would be my go to. That being said, if you want to be part of the cultural zeitgeist, sounds like Origins would be fine to jump in on as well.

Avatar image for justtakemymoney
    justtakemymoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By justtakemymoney
    @drachmalius said:

Origins has better combat but I can't compare them completely yet. Black Flag is cheaper and a game that is known to be a great experience, so I'd start there personally. By the time you're done with it and ready for another AC, this one will probably have a price drop anyway.

This for sure. Black Flag is an awesome game especially if you feel you will enjoy the naval stuff. Tonally I appreciated how cheeky Black Flag was as well. For a series, in my mind, that can be dumb fun I found Black Flag to be a particularly good setting for said dumb fun. Can't argue with the fact that it is cheap. I also suffer from open world fatigue but Black Flag didn't trigger that response from me. I think there's a good chance you could play through it and still be up for Origins and hopefully it will be on sale somewhere by that time.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Flag was fun for a little while but definitely overstayed it's welcome. It suffered mightily from UbiSoft Open World(tm) Bloat.

I haven't made any decisions on Origins yet, as I'm too early in. Initial impressions are (a) UbiSoft needs to stop attempting cold story opens because they suck at them (the beginning of Origins is frankly incomprehensible) and (b) whoever designed this control scheme should never be allowed to design another control scheme again.

Other than that, it seems fun.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aside from taking away the Climb Up or Climb Down contextuals(why) I think this controls better than it has in the past.

Combat took a minute to get used to but it seems way better now.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Go for Origins! Seems like that's where your heart is. Also it's a big new thing, which is sometimes a fun tie-breaker. You can always play Black Flag later.

For what it's worth, Black Flag is one of my favourite Assassin's Creed games (not to mention overall games), but the more I see of Origins, the more intrigued I get.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.