Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bastion

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Jul 20, 2011

Bastion is a story about a Kid, his hammer, and a world gone all kinds of wrong.

Is anyone here not enjoying this as much they thought they would.

• 80 results
    JuggertrainUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JuggertrainUK

Not to say Bastion is bad or anything but there is something about this game that does not click with me. When i saw all the videos and reviews i thought i was going to love this game. Maybe Its just me but this game feels like a bit of a let down to me. Im happy to support breaks from the norm in this industry, as i think we all should from time to time. I just cant put my finger on whats stopping me from loving this game. Anyone else out there feel the same?

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By FancySoapsMan

It's interesting, but I don't think it deserves all the praise its getting.

Definitely not a bad game though.

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By ItBeStefYo

No, I thought it was brilliant.

And I don't normally agree with Brad.

Farley_Lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Farley_Lives

I haven't beat it yet, even though I use to be in your postion. The beginning was a bit of a slow burn, but it got really good about 3 hours ago and I'm really loving it. Even though I have no clue have far you are or what your expectations have been, I would still say it grows on you.

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Cwaff

I don't always have the urge to play it, but when I do I can barely put it down. Absolutely love it.

polyorpheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By polyorpheus

I actually like it more than I thought I would. The music, story and the amount of content was surprising. It was a bit of a slow burn, but I immediately started replaying it on New Game Plus as soon as I finished it. 

mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By mattbosten

I'm staying away from it for now. Receiving loads of hype and I just feel it will not measure up to that hype, going to leave it a month or 2.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By yoshimitz707

Nope. My favorite game of the year so far.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like it a lot, don't fall into the trap of feeling like you have to like something though.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheGreatGuero

It's a lot different than I expected, but that doesn't mean it's bad. I've enjoyed it so far, but have only played it for about an hour.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ramone

@Cwaff said:

I don't always have the urge to play it, but when I do I can barely put it down. Absolutely love it.

My exact feelings on the game.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Vexxan

So far it's living up to my expectations, I'm 3-4 hours in atm.

yorick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By yorick

I was interested in it until I played the demo. I didn't really like anything about it except the art style.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NTM

I don't plan on buying it.

JuggertrainUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JuggertrainUK
    @Yorick said:
    I was interested in it until I played the demo. I didn't really like anything about it except the art style.
    I think i feel the same way, great visuals but i feel bored sometimes when playing it.
    leburgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By leburgan

@JuggertrainUK: Put on some god idols and see the game take a whole different form. It becomes extremely challenging but sooooo rewarding.

JMartNWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JMartNWA

I'm loving it... this "not enjoying as much as I" argument happens for every game, and is legit for those that fall into the category.  I often would, but not with Bastion - right up my alley and really digging it.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By warxsnake

I got bored a little, but then again, that kind of game was never my kind of thing.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By McGhee

I love it more than I thought it would. The combat is fun, but where it truly stands out is its style and subtle story. The music, hand painted graphics, and the narrator make it a truly unique experience. And for people who have been playing games as long as many of us, a unique, beautiful game is something to be treasured.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Getz

This game stabs right at my pleasure center; leaving me anemic and bleeding to death.

Everything is done so expertly that it's amazing the team is so small. The combat gets deeper than you'd expect, with tons of different options; all completely viable. The art is gorgeous and just fucking cool. The music is alternately twangy blues and fast paced eastern strings, making you feel awesome as you fuck things up. The narration also adds to the "cool factor," coupled with some really sharp writing. It's never over-done, and sets the tone perfectly. Just as much as the pieces of land form underneath you, the writing and narration build the world around you.

It's clever and surprising and fun. It can be as difficult as you want it to be, and you can play it one of a hundred different ways.

Avatar image for generic_username
    generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By generic_username

When I first started it, I was kind of disappointed, but after an hour or two, I really got into it and I couldn't stop playing it. I think the narration is fantastic, and there is some really interesting stuff with the story, too. The art and music is also really great. The whole experience just game together really well for me, and it's a very polished game. I feel like it's a game that doesn't really put everything it's got out there on the table for you to enjoy. It's all stuff you find out on your own, without being told exactly what you should be doing, or how to have fun. It did take me about an hour to start really enjoying it though.
    DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DougQuaid
    @JuggertrainUK
    I think I felt the exact opposite the way you did. 

Even with all the coverage of the game on GB, I was never really interested in it until I was actually able to play it. I wasn't even planning on buying it, but as soon as I finished the demo I had to buy it. 'Kind of surprised by how much I am enjoying it.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Slaker117

I enjoyed it about as much as I thought I would, which was less than everyone else has been enjoying it. Not that I think it's bad, it isn't, but I've been in a bit of a rut recently where games just aren't as exciting as they used to be. I think I might need a break.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By the_hiro_abides

It's great. I'm already rolling through my new game + and will probably beat it again tomorrow. The game is definitely slow at first. In the beginning the weapons are fairly standard, the enemies are easy to deal with and the story is really vague and cryptic. But the game gets better as it builds upon that base.

Plus I think it's more fun with all the idols on.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By Sooperspy

I wasn't even excited about it. Then I watched the QL, downloaded the trial, and fell in love with it.

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By amomjc

The game's combat mechanics are nothing unique but they are extremely well done. The difficulty of this game is spot-on. The art is absolutely gorgeous, and this is even from my jaded wife who love art. The narration of everything you do and the main part of the story being through it is what makes it for me though. I love hearing his voice tell me the next part of the story and feel the drive. The way the story is portrayed is easily one of the best I have known.

I would easily give it a 5/5 for everything and not just let the fact that its using tried-but-true techniques bring it down at all. Would be a crime and would show that some people in the audience don't know a gem when they see them. I will always live by the thought that just because you did not enjoy it, does not mean it was not good.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Cloudenvy

My personal game of the year so far!

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By leebmx

I kind of felt the same as the OP, partly because the game is almost impossible to read on an SD TV (was worse than any other I have tried). However I understand that this is not their fault, I need to get a better TV. 
     However I was still finding the combat really shallow and the ranged weapons felt really unsatisfying - I feel heartened though by some of the comments on here which suggest it gets better after 3 hours or so.  
     Everything else about the game is great, looks beautiful, wonderful voiceover, great ideas but the gameplay and specifically the action doesn't feel right. I think I will wait til I have a HD TV and then really try to do it justice,

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By Kyle

Yeah, I don't know why, but I'm just not enjoying it that much. I mean, I seriously have no idea. If you asked me to tell you what I don't like about it, I wouldn't have an answer. I'm just... not enjoying it. I think there's something about the combat that I don't find satisfying.

RichMeisterMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RichMeisterMan

Sometimes there's too much going on on screen and it's hard to tell who's hitting you or that you're even being hit. If it wasn't for the prompt that comes up telling you to heal I'd have died a lot more than I have. Sometimes I'll also lose a little bit of health and not know what the hell I ran into.  So because of all that I rarely engage in melee combat.  I just use the shield and projectile weapons.

hanktherapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By hanktherapper

I enjoyed the demo more than I thought I would. The game didn't look that appealing to me based on the quick look. I haven't bought it yet, though. On the other hand, I'm not having fun with Ms. 'Sposion Man even though I loved the first one.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am actually enjoying it WAY more than I thought I would. I could barely put the game down the first time I played it, that only happens with games I really come to love.

brehonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By brehonia

I'm having trouble gauging it because the game sets such high standards for itself (especially with the presentation) that a handful of really minor flaws stand out all the more.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I might. The game had me hooked for the first two hours or so, but around halfway through the game really lost me and over the following few days I kind of had to force myself to continue playing it. If the art and the narrator weren't so awesome I probably wouldn't have finished it. 

rargy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#35  Edited By rargy

Finding the combat to be a little overwhelming at times with a lot going on. Still managing to enjoy it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this game. One of the greatest games I have ever played on the arcade, and that's saying a lot.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

The story is almost completely one-sided, and there are no puzzle elements to be found.  I think it's a very good game, but I can see how people expecting it to be more of a Zelda clone or traditional RPG could come away disappointed.  If you played the full trial version, however, you really should have known just what to expect.

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Gerhabio

I can't get enough of it.

JuggertrainUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JuggertrainUK
    @Kyle: I feel the same about the combat, i think maybe because it does not feel like it flows or has any order. Kinda just feel they are throwing 10 enemies at me at once all the time. And with this game having a shield and a evade button i cant help feel that the combat would be better if there weren't so many enemies surrounding me.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I was dead tired when I started playing it, so I don't have a great opinion yet.

The button layout is exactly the opposite of what I feel it should be. I mean, I'm sure I can change the controls, but I don't get having anything other than the A-button as your "mash-for-attack" input.

Music is great. When there are a lot of enemies on-screen at once the difficulty can spike very quickly. And I'm not particularly far into the game, but the narrator stuff is underwhelming to my experience.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh.
    Played the demo and I digged the narrator, but I'm a sucker for such voices, but the rest of the game felt a bit boring to me.
    Didn't quite dig the setting or style.

But to each his own!

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kerse

I felt the same way for the first little bit but when I got to the area in that bog place where you like pass out and run through some visions I was hooked. The combat also takes some getting used to and the music is fantastic. Its definitely one of my favorite games this year.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#43  Edited By alistercat

Loving it.

Juicebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Juicebox

yes i actually regret getting it

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45  Edited By buft

I'm enjoying it more than i thought i would, i went in to this expecting fun combat and nothing else but the story, the music and the simple RPG elements reeled me in, the first time you hear Zia's song, the twists this game is nothing short of incredible.

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By RoyCampbell
    @Soapy86 said:
    I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I might. The game had me hooked for the first two hours or so, but around halfway through the game really lost me and over the following few days I kind of had to force myself to continue playing it. If the art and the narrator weren't so awesome I probably wouldn't have finished it. 
    This fits exactly with how I feel.
    Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ares42

Wasn't really that hyped up for it (as I hadn't really been following the media on it much), but the game was pretty decent. The end however was pretty disappointing as far as gameplay goes. I just don't get why people think changing things up like that is a good thing. The challenges are also sorta meh, but I guess it hits home for the achievement crowd.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#48  Edited By Mystyr_E

At first I liked it but the more I played, the less impressed I was getting. The gameplay just rubs me the wrong way

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#49  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I am enjoying it way more than I thought I would, this game is great.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By YoungFrey

There were some parts that bugged me, but on the whole it looks amazing, has lots of combat options, tons of customization, unprecedented levels of integrated voice work, and some good writing on top of it all. And all for $15 (US).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.