Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham City

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released Oct 18, 2011

When Gotham City's slums have been transformed into a secluded super-prison, it's up to Batman to uncover its conspiracy in the sequel to 2009's Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Just lost my save. Don't do what I did.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bwheeeler

I quit right when I died, which might have messed with the autosave? In any event, make absolutely sure that the game is not saving or anything when you quit because it could just vanish into thin air. As good as this game is, I'm not looking forward to collecting all those Riddler trophies I was hunting down again.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By strainedeyes

I'm confident that "make sure the game isn't saving when you quit" is a standard rule for just about everything.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Fajita_Jim

No Caption Provided

If there's just one key every controller should have...
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Vinny_Says

Every game ever now has a prompt telling you not to turn off the game when the autosave spinning icon is spinning.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By bwheeeler

But has it ever been anything more than a way to cover their asses? I've never had a saved game straight-up disappear because I turned it off during the autosave.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @MagikOvenMit said:

But has it ever been anything more than a way to cover their asses? I've never had a saved game straight-up disappear because I turned it off during the autosave.

Dude..they assume people are smart enough not to do that. A friend of mine had over 100 hours in RDR and lost it because of turning it off wile auto saving. It corrupts the save. 
    Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By SuperWristBands

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@MagikOvenMit said:

Dude..they assume people are smart enough not to do that. A friend of mine had over 100 hours in RDR and lost it because of turning it off wile auto saving. It corrupts the save.

Why would they assume that? Games have a much wider audience which includes people who are not good with technology. If they really do assume that, then shame on them. They should have two autosaves so one can be a back up, or better yet they should have a manual save.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @SuperWristBands said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@MagikOvenMit said:

Why would they assume that? Games have a much wider audience which includes people who are not good with technology. If they really do assume that, then shame on them. They should have two autosaves so one can be a back up, or better yet they should have a manual save.

Because 90% of games RIGHT at the start say " DO NOT TURN OFF WHEN YOU SEE THIS!" 
    bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bwheeeler

It's kinda sucky that they save right when you die. That's when a lot of people shut the game off, I'd imagine.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SuperWristBands

@The_Laughing_Man: I never pay attention to those, but maybe because I know not to turn it off while saving already. I still think relying on one autosave is a bad thing to do.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mandude

Yeah. Seems like bad design...

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jozzy

Yeah, if someone can explain to me why having an extra autosave as a fallback is not a feasible solution than I am glad to hear it. Sounds so obvious to me, every time it autosaves it keeps the previous one should something go wrong.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bestostero

Aww man that sucks dude! they should have some type of failsafe :(

But least the game is fun...redoing some of the stuff will be annoying but hopefully you'll have fun :)

Garris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Garris

Ya I just lost my save I died and then quit figuring I'd just reload later when I had time to play, booted the game up and the save was Gonzo

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By DeF

@MagikOvenMit said:

just like all these signs saying DANGER - HIGH VOLTAGE are just to cover their asses ... it can't possibly hurt, right?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Sorry for your lost save dude, but it's your own fault. Always be cautious when a game saves.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Jimbo

If you lose ALL of your game progress due to a single saving error (even if it was the player's fault) then the game designers fucked up.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Jimbo said:
    If you lose ALL of your game progress due to a single saving error (even if it was the player's fault) then the game designers fucked up.
    How is it the game designer's fault?
    RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By RuthLoose

Can we also agree to back up saves after playing on a thumb stick? Really disturbs me how many folks forget to back up dozens of hours of a game every now and then.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@jozzy said:

Yeah, if someone can explain to me why having an extra autosave as a fallback is not a feasible solution than I am glad to hear it. Sounds so obvious to me, every time it autosaves it keeps the previous one should something go wrong.

My guess would be that it would double everything needed to save - time, memory, etc... If it caused the game to hitch up or the framerate to dip real low every time the game saved, that's not really an acceptable answer to covering for people who turn the console off / quit to the dashboard / xmb while the game is saving. Keep in mind I know nothing of programming, that's just my common sense response.

I've noticed on the new 360, though, if you hit the power button it stays on for a moment, which I imagine would allow a save to finish.

In any case, keeping the previous auto save as a backup would make sense, especially in a game like Arkham or Assassin's Creed. You'll lose progress, just not all of it.

Sorry for your loss, bud. I always make sure I'm at the main menu when I turn off my console or bounce to the dashboard. I'd never want to lose progress.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#21  Edited By Hailinel

@Jimbo said:

Not really. There's only so much corruption you can prevent when a save is interrupted. Cut it at the wrong time, and well, you're the one that fucked up.

But yeah, there's a reason that games feature auto-save indicators these days. Don't ever, ever turn the game off while the indicator is still active. You might as well be powering off an NES game without holding in Reset first.

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sfighter21

Are people so barbaric that they can't properly quit to the main menu and THEN quit the game/turn off the console. Whether I'm playing on my comp or ps3, I ALWAYS go through the proper protocol. I don't feel sorry at all dude. Impatience is not a virtue, and should therefore have the proper consequences.

TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TwilitEnd656

I liked what Deus Ex did, having two auto-save slots. More games should have it.

Garris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Garris

@sfighter21 said:

Are people so barbaric that they can't properly quit to the main menu and THEN quit the game/turn off the console. Whether I'm playing on my comp or ps3, I ALWAYS go through the proper protocol. I don't feel sorry at all dude. Impatience is not a virtue, and should therefore have the proper consequences.

I wasn't aware that there was a proper protocol, and I guess I should have stated that I hit the xbox button and turned off the console from the screen when you die that says reload or quit not mid save animation thing

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Wacomole

It's a cliché, but ... "You can't say they didn't warn you".

Harsh, I know. Just take it as a life lesson.

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sfighter21

@Garris: Well, I'm not saying there is a universal protocol, just one that I follow. That is, quit out of all menus properly until your back to the beginning and THEN quit to desktop/ power off console. It's NOT that hard and it doesn't take long.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By bybeach

I've never hit quit during an autosave, but I did fuck up in Infamous 2. I simply forgot to do hard saves, and paid for it right next to the last big fight by screwing up between load and save. I think I asumed the game was doing auto saves by chapter or whatever. My fault, and now I hard save whenever I leave a game. most always did, don't believe i screwed that up....just fell into a bad habit.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@SuperWristBands said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@MagikOvenMit said:

Not feasible, due to the technical limitations spoken of earlier in the thread. Also, Deus Ex 3 tried this, and the game hitched whenever it auto-saved. I'd rather have the silky smooth Batman save system and take the risk that the developers believe I'm not a moron.

@MagikOvenMit: Arkham City saves when you die due to redundancies. You pick up a Riddler trophy, it saves. Level up and get an upgrade, it saves. Die in a fight after solving a Riddler riddle? It saves. All of this is in place so you never lose progress. If you decided to be foolish and quit a game while it was saving... man, I can't even think of a situation where that could happen. Short of an "act of God" anyhow. Arkham City's save system is perfect for the kind of game it is.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By louiedog
    @sfighter21 said:

@Garris: Well, I'm not saying there is a universal protocol, just one that I follow. That is, quit out of all menus properly until your back to the beginning and THEN quit to desktop/ power off console. It's NOT that hard and it doesn't take long.

I agree that it's a good idea to have a protocol for this type of thing. If a game has auto saves and manual saves I will manual save and when the icon disappears I will shut off the game. If something happens to my manual save there is still an autosave as a backup. if it's auto save only then I will quit out to the main menu before turning it off. The last, and only, save that I can remember losing was in Fallout: New Vegas because it hard locked as it was auto saving when I went through a door. 

Between the SNES and 360 I was pretty exclusive to the PC. If you were playing a linear game like Quake and you lost your save it was easy to use the console commands to bring you back to where you were or just download a save from that point on the internet.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jimbo
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    @Jimbo said:
    How is it the game designer's fault?
    It should be designed to have at least one backup autosave, for exactly the same reason the developers back up their own code as they're making the game - shit goes wrong sometimes.  With how often some games save, and how many millions of people are playing these games, it isn't exactly unimaginable that a console may lose power during a save (power cut, tripped fuse, ragequits, sibling dickery etc.)

Screwing up a single save may be the player's fault or just unfortunate, but loosing x hours of progress because of it is a design issue.
    RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RobertOrri

That sucks, man. I agree that it's really lame how many developers don't bother having backup saves, considering how easy it is to alternate between a couple of them. If a game features nothing but autosaving there should always be an older save kept around as an extra.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By bwheeeler

@KingWilly: Well, I gave a situation... Quitting right after a death, which is something I do all the time in games. Or maybe power outages, which is also not uncommon. How do Demon's Souls and Dark Souls do it, if the games save all the damn time? I've certainly quit in the middle of an autosave there, and I have never lost more than a minute of progress. I don't know a thing about saves, but quitting at death is a common thing for me and I've never, ever dealt with a corrupt save (especially one that just disappears completely - no trace of it on my hard drive). There's got to be some way for the developers to get around it.

In any event, I think we can all agree that it is a shitty thing that people can lose their saves so easily. Can't we?

xatmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#33  Edited By xatmos

The previous autosave shouldn't be deleted until the new one has been written to physical storage successfully, or even better a shadow copy should always be maintained, the chances of corruption in both files is virtually 0. I haven't played Batman, but if they do not allow manual saves and they don't make autosaves reliable than that is a valid point of criticism.

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sfighter21

@MagikOvenMit said:

@KingWilly: Well, I gave a situation... Quitting right after a death, which is something I do all the time in games. Or maybe power outages, which is also not uncommon. How do Demon's Souls and Dark Souls do it, if the games save all the damn time? I've certainly quit in the middle of an autosave there, and I have never lost more than a minute of progress. I don't know a thing about saves, but quitting at death is a common thing for me and I've never, ever dealt with a corrupt save (especially one that just disappears completely - no trace of it on my hard drive). There's got to be some way for the developers to get around it.

In any event, I think we can all agree that it is a shitty thing that people can lose their saves so easily. Can't we?

yeah, it is shitty. BUT they do warn you, don't they? (Yo, hey dude when you see this flashing star/rotating wheel/other various autosave emblems, DO NOT power off the system.) Most games have that because I mean, that's all they can really do until a solution is found to not corrupt save files.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MrKlorox

I lost my save in AA upon unlocking the 100% achievement and it didn't even stick. Had to replay the whole damn thing. Seems like the save issues are not entirely fixed. I wonder why these autosave-only games don't keep backups.

Garris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Garris

@sfighter21 said:

I understand what your saying but if they had run across this during testing shouldnt it have been fixed. I mean if I'm not allowed to use an option that is available to me to quit the system, why would they have it in there.

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By sfighter21

@Garris: Well, if it was something they could fix I'm sure they would. However, if just about ALL games in the past few years have had this warning, it means they haven't come up with anything yet. They can't predict if it will or won't corrupt your save, so they give you the warning. Hopefully sometime soon in the near future we won't have to worry about it, but even then they'll prob still have warnings when you start the game.

DjCmeP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#38  Edited By DjCmeP

@MagikOvenMit said:

It's kinda sucky that they save right when you die. That's when a lot of people shut the game off, I'd imagine.

Only rage-quitters do that.

Bubbly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Bubbly

I learned my lesson long ago to always quit to the menus. Now you have also learned your lesson. Always go to the main menu first and then quit to the dashboard or turn off the console. Make no exceptions. It sucks that you have to get the riddler trophies again, but this isn't the worst game to lose progress on. Just make sure you always go to the main menu first and then you'll never have a problem again.

Garris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Garris

@sfighter21: which warning did i receive?

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By sfighter21

@Garris said:

...uh, the one when you start a game and it says DO NOT POWER OFF CONSOLE WHILE THE AUTOSAVE INDICATOR IS FLASHING... sorry for the CAPS. Just making a point.

Garris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Garris

@sfighter21 said:

@Garris said:

...uh, the one when you start a game and it says DO NOT POWER OFF CONSOLE WHILE THE AUTOSAVE INDICATOR IS FLASHING... sorry for the CAPS. Just making a point.

as I said before I turned the console off on the screen just after the villian taunts you for dieing, and your given to options load or quit, not during an autosave

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By sfighter21

@Garris said:

@sfighter21 said:

@Garris said:

as I said before I turned the console off on the screen just after the villian taunts you for dieing, and your given to options load or quit, not during an autosave

I know that. That is why I said that I quit out of all possible menus back to the main menu before powering off whatever system I'm using. It's like one extra step. You really don't have the patience for that?

You get so mad at losing that you "rage quit"? Be like Dudley and quit the game like a gentleman. You will have no problems then.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By bwheeeler

@sfighter21: Dude, stop. It's poor design.

Garris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Garris

@sfighter21: I never said I rage quit, I have a 9 month old son so i quit when he wakes up from naps and such.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@MagikOvenMit: No it's not. You got burned because you did something stupid. It's not like the game was "hiding" the fact that it was saving. It had the "Saving..." displayed prominently in the lower corner. The death screens are pitch black with a villain talking to you. It's not like you could've been distracted by flashing lights or Hypnotoad.

You got burned, and that's shitty, but stop trying to pawn the blame off on developers when their system works. It's just not idiot proof, apparently.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By bwheeeler

@KingWilly: There's a few seconds in between dying and when the "saving..." prompt occurs, the perfect time for me to grab my remote and turn off the console.

In any event, you're defending a system that allows players to completely lose their saves by way of power outages or stopping at a death or being a dumb stupid idiot, which I'd wager a good proportion of the gaming community is. There's got to be a better way.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By EVO

@KingWilly said:

Arkham City saves when you die due to redundancies. You pick up a Riddler trophy, it saves. Level up and get an upgrade, it saves. Die in a fight after solving a Riddler riddle? It saves. All of this is in place so you never lose progress.

Really? Every time I die I have to go back and pick up all the Riddler trophies, solve all the riddles, and even upgrade again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.