Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham Knight

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 23, 2015

Developer Rocksteady's return to the Batman series takes place one year after the events of Arkham City. It expands the open world from the previous game and allows players to finally drive the Batmobile throughout Gotham City's streets.

Reviews are starting to hit

• 179 results
    CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I haven't played it but a 7 just feels right, especially with what I have seen and known about the games.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@moab said:

@afabs515 said:

Ok fine! I'll spend 60 bucks today!

I had no idea it was coming out so soon. It's 25% off at Green Man Gaming with GRAB25-PERCNT-OFFNOW.

:D

I wish you had posted this like an hour ago :(

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Arkham City had similarly glowing reviews (96 Metacritic?) and that was pretty good, but nothing amazing to me. I'll get around to this eventually but I'm in no hurry.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

I haven't played a Batman game since Asylum, so maybe it's time to play another one.

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By MOAB

@afabs515 said:

@moab said:

@afabs515 said:

I had no idea it was coming out so soon. It's 25% off at Green Man Gaming with GRAB25-PERCNT-OFFNOW.

I wish I saw their VIP page an hour ago... It's only $36!

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@moab said:

@afabs515 said:

@moab said:

@afabs515 said:

I went ahead and did that VIP thing and it said that my code will not be issued until release...really hope I didn't get screwed here.

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu said:
    @moab said:

@afabs515 said:

@moab said:

@afabs515 said:

I went ahead and did that VIP thing and it said that my code will not be issued until release...really hope I didn't get screwed here.

Yeah, I received the same message. That's not standard with them, but I wouldn't worry. GMG is excellent in my experience. There is a thread in their forum about it.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moab: typically you get the code later than if you preorder on steam, so if you're ok waiting a few hours you can save a few bucks.

Choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This will be my first Batman game since Arkham Asylum, so I'm excited to get back into it. I think I may have made the right choice skipping the last two.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also has it been verified that arkham knight has no loading screens? And why do people keep saying that batman combat is copied so much? Besides batman, it seems the only other franchises to tackle it are Mordor and Sleepy Dawgz.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@choffy said:

This will be my first Batman game since Arkham Asylum, so I'm excited to get back into it. I think I may have made the right choice skipping the last two.

Uh. At least brush up on Arkham City's story by way of wiki or something. Some fairly important story stuff takes place in that game.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By stryker1121

I'm looking forward to reading some feedback from you folks dipping into the game early. Still have loads of Witcher action to get through before I let myself buy another huge ass open-world game.

Reading the VanOrd review, I wonder as to the necessity of the Batmobile. It's iconic and all, but the best thing about Arkham City was gliding about the skyscrapers. I don't want a bunch of forced Batmobile bits to justify the existence of the thing.

Meanwhile, VanOrd is taking some stick for his review from the ever unhappy 'obtuse shit-slingers' always looking to elevate our wonderful hobby.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#63  Edited By alistercat

So much confirmation bias here. Not too excited for it? The lower scoring reviews must be more correct. Excited? Ten out of ten.

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interested in seeing how the batmobile stuff actually plays, I liked all the Batman games (even Origin, it was a perfectly fine game on PC with the best story of the franchise) so I'm def picking this up but supper interested to see how the batmobile impacts the game.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aghhh... shouldn't have clicked this thread and gotten my hype up. I won't be getting around to this for a bit (this has been a rough month money-wise), so I've been trying not to get my excitement going. Of course, it'll all be for naught when the QL goes up and gets me even more hyped...

Ah well. Gives me an excuse to play through City for the 1500th time. Might finally make a push for all of the Riddler trophies, or at least three-starring all of the challenges.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh my fucking god. Never look at the comments on reviews.... I figured a 7 was a pretty good score but apparently it's giving the game a death sentence.

I might pick this game up. The GameSpot review kind of validated my concerns about the Bat Moblie

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finished Witcher and I am ready to dive into this. I loved all of the Batman games and really want more. Just played through Arkham again and almost finished City. I am really excited.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Wacomole

I hope it's good. I really liked Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, but never got around to buying Origins... until I ended up getting it for next to nothing in the Steam Sale when I pre-ordered Arkham Knight just now.

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beware the IGN review, the moron that wrote it spoils what could've been a nice surprise appearance.

Going by the general consensus, the narrative seems to be weak, which is a shame, but not surprising since Rocksteady brought in the writer of Crysis 2 and Killzone Shadow Fall. I still have no idea how that could happen.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

:hype

DeadeyeMcCoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The feedback on that Gamespot review is ludicrous. Heaven forbid someone give a AAA game anything below an 8.

Jaymii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beware the IGN review, the moron that wrote it spoils what could've been a nice surprise appearance.

Ugh, I saw it too. It's extra annoying because I skimmed the review, but he mentioned it again in the comments. Imagine working on this for years, only for that to get out before the game even releases.

SirFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By SirFork

lookin like a good year

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deadeyemccoy: Gamespot comments for reviews are always god awful.

I mean sometimes we have a crazy thread or two but it really makes you realize how great a community we are

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3
    deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And why do people keep saying that batman combat is copied so much? Besides batman, it seems the only other franchises to tackle it are Mordor and Sleepy Dawgz.

If I recall correctly, the Spooder-Men and Capitan Americana games used a similar combat system.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just don't know whether this series can surprise me. We've played the same game twice already and the only one with any genuine impact is now 6 years old.

mostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Impressive thing reviewing a game of this scale during E3 week.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With the Gamespot review in particular it seems like the tedium of the batmobile hit Kevin Vanord hard. I'm debating whether to get this game for the PC or PS4 because Arkham City didn't exactly run all that well on PC although that may have been poor implementation of tessellation which was still relatively new at the time.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Between these reviews and Scarecrow seeming to be the main villain, I think this might have to be the first batman I buy day 1 since Asylum. If this game is really all that then this summer has been amazing so far with Witcher 3 and Batman.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@bbalpert said:

Justin McElroy is positively smitten by the game.

I mean, opinions are opinions but still man that reads like hyperbole to me.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I bought the prenium edition on PS4....the DLC better be worth it or WB games will never get my money again...after Mad Max.

The Arkham games have always been a strong 8/10 to be and nothing more. Hopefully this raises that bar.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mostman: Wouldn't be surprised if they got the game a few weeks ago

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

If Kevin Van Ord's main issues revolve around the batmobile, I can deal with that. That is my biggest concern with the game, especially since it felt so un-needed. Arkham City perfected traversal and Origins had a decent conceit for limited Fast Travel.

I suspect he's right, but I still really like 7/10 games quite a bit when it's a series I like. Too bad he's getting flak for doing his job right, not a surprise though.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By DonPixel

@bbalpert said:

Opinions and such, but I'm seeing this hyperbolic statements so often... Wasn't TW3 the second coming of jesus just about a weak ago?

Don't get me wrong I'm loving TW3 but I think they over selling things

I'm holding my buy for this game, more than often I agree with Kevin V Ord that most reviewers anyway.

CDUB901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Admittedly It probably has the bandwaggon effect since it's a Rocksteady Batman game so reviewers are going to mark it high however, I watched the Gamespot review, and it seemed pretty fishy to me. It just seemed like he gave it the 7 for some ulterior motives. Gamespot has a habit of doing these converstional reviews because they know its the only way they will get attention... no one cares about Gamespot anymore.

You're just as bad as the comments section on that GS review.

The guy just didn't like it as much as everyone else. I don't get why that is something that would have ulterior motives behind it. It's a video game and not everyone likes the same thing. It's called, oh what is the word I'm looking for? Oh yea! An opinion!

And 7/10 isn't even a bad score. You know what's a bad score? A 4/10 or below. The game is a good game and a 7/10 says that perfectly.

It all brings my memories back to Jeff's 8.8 for Twilight Princess. The outrage for a score for something that no one in the comments section had even touched. Then once everyone played it they realized. "Oh yea, Jeff was totally right, this a great game, but Zelda has definitely been better before" Hell, I'm a diehard Zelda fan and even I thought an 8.8 was too high of a score. 7.5 at best.

As for Batman. Well, I haven't played it. But it seems to me like those Batmobile sections are either something you're going to love, hate or tolerate. Seems like Van'Ord just did not like them and that caused his enjoyment of the game to fall more than the other reviewers.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be surprised if a batman game can top City but I'll have to pick it up at some point to see.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh man i'd love to see the meltdown if a major publication gave this a 5/10 or below...

DocWattson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moab: Thank you so much for the link for the $36 deal. I've never used green man game and have no idea what the VIP area even means but a deal is a deal, especially when you are between jobs like me.

Thanks again!

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I was sorta concerned about the vehicle combat. Not something that I necessarily wanted out of a batman game. I'll have to see how much it bothers me (or doesn't) when I get my hands on it. Generally positive stuff is nice to hear though. Whatever, I'm ready for more Ratman adventures in my life.

No Caption Provided

DocWattson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as GameSpot's 7.... I think it's important for different opinions and point of views in gaming. We can't all agree on everything all the time. Also as much as I love Giant Bomb and rarely go to GameSpot IMO Kieth VanOrd is the best reviewer in the business. He's very eloquent, fair, and has a distinct voice. I love reading and watching his reviews, even on games I have no interest in.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Origins better than city, neither comes close to asylum. Done

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Dat busta Kevin VanOrd running his mouth like these streets is safe.

R.I.P. Tico

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like we're living in an 8 month bubble where top marks lose their meaning.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By korwin
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#95  Edited By armaan8014

Wasn't really waiting for this game or anything (especially since I can't seem to be able to care much about any other game when TW3 is in front of me), but I wanna try it to continue my ongoing tests on how this generation's games perform on my laptop (especially since TW3 has been stubbornly running badly)

GTA V and even Unity (after a lot of tweaking) ran pretty well on it, but the Witcher's performance makes my machine look completely difference. Batman should make things clearer now.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Giant_Gamer
    @bbalpert said:

He looks like he is trying to sell the game with that tweet and that's why i'm not reading his review.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hewitt said:
    @oldirtybearon said:
    @ripelivejam said:

"It's not Witcher 3" -Kevin VanOrd

If that's his reason I can't say it's a bad one. Witcher 3 is the high watermark for the RPG genre going forward.

Perhaps the disappointment lies in expecting Arkham Knight to top it?

HOLY SHIT I'M SO EXCITED WHY ISN'T IT TUESDAY YET

Really? That's the worst reason to mark down any game! That's like giving The Witcher 3 a 6/10 claiming "It's not Baldur's Gate 2." The Witcher 3 was a great game, but I feel like most people are giving it too much of a pass on it's shortcomings and basic design issues. The movement and combat are pretty bad in W3, and travelling around the world on horseback is more of a pain than anything, being constantly caught on trees and fences when you're 10ft away from them, aspects which are quite key in a game like this! (at this point I'd like to say I really did love the witcher series, and really enjoyed W3, but these things are given too much of a pass in reviews and discussion about the game)

I agree with your first statement, definitely can't compare arkham with the witcher as a score bases, but i completely disagree with any of those "design issues". Combat in witcher is great, it just requires more skill , I never got stuck on trees and horse movement was great for the most part. Now walking around and looting things is a different story, especially in enclosed areas.

billymaysrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By billymaysrip

I fundamentally don't understand why people are upset with reviews that are below the "consensus." Are they afraid that the developers at Rocksteady are going to lose their jobs or cry themselves to sleep tonight because they got one 7? Will Kevin's opinion on the game will somehow make the game worse for them personally? Will Warner Brothers just ditch the game because it got a 7 from Gamespot?

What's wrong with liking things just because you personally like them? The only explanation I can muster is that the majority of people who play games are in their teens, and thus the majority of people who comment on these reviews are just kids who haven't been around yet.

Avatar image for fractal_seaweed
    fractal_seaweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@choffy: There really isn't much point to playing Origins story wise; I believe they emphasized finishing their "trilogy".

Arkham City however... Has some important story beats you'll want to catch up on.

Darth-Malum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Darth-Malum

i read gamespot's review and he harped on about there being too much batmobile, but as a massive arkham game fan and a massive comic book fan in general.... all ive wanted from the start of this is to drive around gotham in the batmobile and beat the shit out of thugs just like batman wouldn't, in the comics batman would fly his way around gotham he would use the batmobile; i guess its just up to the player wether they want the function to matter or not.

i do feel that 7 out of 10 is a little harsh, just because its more of the same from the other games doesn't make it a worst game for it, if i remember rightly those games kicked ass!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.