Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham Knight

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 23, 2015

Developer Rocksteady's return to the Batman series takes place one year after the events of Arkham City. It expands the open world from the previous game and allows players to finally drive the Batmobile throughout Gotham City's streets.

So.. Does Batman ever accidentally kill people?

• 62 results
    firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

@golguin said:

I've never understood why DC comic heroes like Batman and Superman don't simply kill the bad guys. What's the point in locking them away if they keep escaping to kill more people? Surely an in universe thought must occur in their heads where they realize that they are responsible for the lives the bad guys take because they refuse to kill them. Right?

Well...if they did kill their enemies, there really wouldn't be stories to be told, no reason to have monthly issues if all the bad guys are dead and buried.

But, for the mythology...they're supposed to be aspirations. They're supposed to be these idealized fictional characters that are half steeped in a world similar to ours, but ones we can aspire to be like. It's kinda like Star Trek, but rather than an entire setting, it's condensed into the morality and idealized aspects of a character.

But, I mean...it's a complicated answer that mixed between tradition, mythology, what a superhero is supposed to symbolize, and good old business that keeps the wheels greased and rolling.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Plus you need some moral high ground as a superhero.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By CheapPoison

@golguin: Perfect guise to keep the same small cast of strong villains they rely on.
    If batman was the punisher he would kill of all the interesting villains and what would we be left with!
    I mean I would agree, but it is in the same vein that no superhero really dies and there is very little of real consequence that happens causse there needs to be another book next month, and the one after that and....

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Ben Kuchera wrote a piece about this very topic last week (and cited a GamesRadar article that discussed the same subject), saying basically that Batman "doesn't kill" only in the sense that the people aren't dead as of when he leaves. Whatever happens to the henchmen left concussed and bleeding on the ground 15 minutes after Batman walks away is none of his concern.

Batman kills people left and right. The important thing is that they die out of frame.

[...] Batman has always killed people, the "camera" just never sticks around to see the aftermath.

RainDog505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

As a registered ICU nurse--I can tell with you utmost confidence that if Batman existed and performed his duty of justice dealing with the same ferocity seen in the Arkham games and most of the comic cannon past the brightly light camp early periods--he most certainty has inadvertently taken a life. Especially considering that Batman often battles men--a gender much more likely to have blood coagulation disorders (i.e. hemophilia)

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@mirado: I mean obviously for the mainline comic series it wouldn't be very wise to do that, but I would love to see a one-shot series where Batman does lock up every villain in his own maximum security prison and what would happen. When you have the Arkham games where you fight these characters multiple times and every time you see one of these villains kill an innocent person without any real consequence, it kinda makes you wonder why Batman should even be relied upon.

KevinWalsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup, def kills

Loading Video...

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

What do you mean, "accidentally"?

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun said:

What do you mean, "accidentally"?

No Caption Provided

hahaha! Holy fuck.. blam blam, blam! That guy must have done something seriously wrong (beyond what the other villains usually do) to piss off Batman like that. Or maybe the gun just went off by accident, um.. 3 times.. But being a hero aint easy I reckon, so who I am to judge?

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

He doesn't kill them, they just die of natural causes that are slightly accelerated by him (such as breaking ribs or ramming into people with a tank).

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think the right question to ask is how high are medical premiums in Gotham City, and how many people with medical disabilities have Batman to thank for that.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@golguin: Perfect guise to keep the same small cast of strong villains they rely on.

If batman was the punisher he would kill of all the interesting villains and what would we be left with!

I mean I would agree, but it is in the same vein that no superhero really dies and there is very little of real consequence that happens causse there needs to be another book next month, and the one after that and....

I'm basically coming at it from a manga perspective where long running series have characters that die and stay dead. Anime and manga in general seem to be more open to having main characters/villains die since they'e fine with creating new series/properties.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.