Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Batman: Arkham

Franchise »

Rocksteady Studios and WB Montreal's superhero series that focuses on a more dark and serious Batman.

What's with the jaded attitude towards this series now?

• 104 results
    lkpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I haven't played the game yet but it seems like the majority of those who have played the game really enjoy it (PC problems aside). At Giantbomb specifically, Jeff seems to be the most cynical about it. The others seem to really like it. I think the fear among a lot of people is that WB will continue making similar batman games and it will become call of duty-esqe.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm a huge Batman nerd, so i'm sorta biased. I could and would play annual iterations. I love the series.

City was the worst in the series and I still liked it a lot. I can understand why people are getting tired of it, but If you look at the current market of games, most games are either similar in style or sequels.

I personally can't understand why people still play MGS and yet...there is still another half? game coming out this year.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

For me they don't change it up enough. I played the first 2 and haven't seen anything in the second two that make me think they're that different. If I want a batman fix I'll read a comic. I will never be able to play all the games that I want to so why should I play a game that is so similar to one's I've already completed?

But that's just my opinion, if you really enjoy these games and would play one every year, good for you, enjoy your self :) . But it doesn't take that much imagination to see how some people are burnt out on this franchise already.

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By BananasFoster

You know what I think is unwarranted? A lot of the jaded mellow-ness aimed towards this series. Not trying to be an asshole. You can have your opinion but I just don't understand where some of this is coming from?

There are a number of folks who talk about this series like it's the new Call of Duty. We've gotten these games roughly bi-annually and there's only 4 of them. What's with the "oh, here's another batman game" kind of attitude? This series has gone on since 2009 and seemingly just "ended." Origins was a bit of a cash-in and there were a couple mobile spinoffs but yeah I can't really wrap my head around this one. Even in the quick look they were like "remember batman? it's another batman game"

I just really don't see how this is akin to stuff like call of duty or assassin's creed and the attitude towards Batman Arkham seems to be the exact same as it is towards those games.

.......or I'm just crazy and there's not as much of that as I think? Like I said, if you don't like the games, that's perfectly fine but I don't get this specific "oh, another one" kind of talk. Am I the only one puzzled by this?

4 bi-annual games plus spin-offs is a LOT of games. I think the reality is that, in the crank-them-out-until-people-can't-stand-it-anymore world of modern game design, you will know when people are done when they puke. There's never going to be a polite, "no thanks". People are going to enjoy a game until they suddenly turn on a dime and throw it under the bus.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#105  Edited By Zirilius

@frostyryan: It is similar in many ways. The broad strokes are there when you consider how the character faces enemies, how animations transition for multiple characters, how there is a dedicated counter button, etc. There's a rock-paper-scissors affect to these games that is the most "recurring" element (use dodge on enemy A, use stun attack on enemy B, never punch enemy C, etc so on).

This is what I was exactly referring to and it is exactly how Assasin's Creed has evolved especially from 3 up. I listed Brotherhood and Revelations as you can see the iterations beginning there but AC3 is really where the series hits it's stride. Like I said it isn't exactly a 1:1 Batman but you can definitely see the influence from Batman's combat creeping in. Not to mention the list of combat items you can use in combat (smoke bombs, guns, darts, etc) all act in a similar fashion as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.