Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battleborn

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 03, 2016

A first-person sci-fi "hero shooter" from the studio behind the Borderlands series. It was notable for its loadout system and story-based mission mode, was made free-to-play in 2017, and was ultimately delisted in 2019, with a full server shutdown in early 2021.

So is this what became of Brothers in Arms: Furious Four?

McDayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By McDayman

Game Informer just revealed Battleborn to be its next cover story. It's being developed by Gearbox, published by 2K, and written by former Destructoid writer Aaron Linde. It's looking like a Free to Play FPS battle arena game (MOBA) which would be a hard swing from what Furious Four seemed to be going for (did we ever really know), but being that they are both squad-based coop first person shooters, I bet this is where they went with that.

GI Cover Reveal

Thoughts?

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think you are reaching a bit. Big guy, robot, hunter, guy with guns for arms. Borderlands seems more likely inspiration.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think the two are related at all. Furious Four just looked like it was going to be 4 player co-op like Borderlands but in a WW2 setting. This looks like it's going to be a PVP only game just like every other MOBA but with FPS instead of a third person view. Even all the different characters just look like such MOBA characters.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By EuanDewar

It seems like they're going for the same thing they did with Borderlands. Taking the FPS format and combining it with something you don't usually see it paired up with. In Borderlands it was an MMO, here it's a MOBA.

Could be neat, the inclusion of a narrative campaign might help grab people who would otherwise be uninterested in a MOBA.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if it is not free it will be a failure, also i imagine all heroes will be just passives like in borderlands with 1 active ability that will be dumb down

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#6 BrittonPeele  Online

@alexgbro said:

if it is not free it will be a failure, also i imagine all heroes will be just passives like in borderlands with 1 active ability that will be dumb down

I don't think they're going for the traditional MOBA audience like LoL or DOTA players. I don't think it will be free and I don't think that will be a problem.

McDayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By McDayman
    @alexgbro said:

Huh, I thought I had read that the game would be free to play somewhere, but I can't find that to verify now.

I don't think the two are related at all. Furious Four just looked like it was going to be 4 player co-op like Borderlands but in a WW2 setting. This looks like it's going to be a PVP only game just like every other MOBA but with FPS instead of a third person view. Even all the different characters just look like such MOBA characters.

I'm not saying this "looks" at all like Furious Four. I'm just thinking that somewhere along the way that project transitioned into this. It's not cited, but the Wikipedia page for Furious Four has a quote from Randy Pitchford saying that it was undergoing some drastic changes to be a new IP game.

NorthSarge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By NorthSarge

I kind of hope this will be like Monday Night Combat (EDIT: in terms of whatever the "MOBA" part is)... I really liked that game and there hasn't been a whole lot like it (unless I missed it...)

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Corevi

@euandewar said:

In Borderlands it was an MMO

Quick correction, it was an ARPG, Diablo style, not an MMO.

The main problems I have with this game are that they missed the MOBA train, and this tweet from Pitchford:

It makes it seem like they have no clue what the fuck they are doing and just smashed a bunch of buzzwords together.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I hope not, Furious Four actually looked cool.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By BisonHero

I HIGHLY doubt that Furious Four somehow got completely retooled into this game. Like, maybe they quietly shelved Furious Four and won't admit to it, and that team got assigned to this game instead, but I doubt any of the art or gameplay code or anything was somehow directly translatable from Furious Four into Battleborn.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.