Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bayonetta 2

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Sep 20, 2014

The sequel to the critically-acclaimed action brawler Bayonetta, this time with a two-player online co-op mode and exclusive to the Nintendo Wii U.

Bayonetta 2 Review Thread

• 193 results
    axlvandamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@lelcar said:

@axlvandamme said:

I realize Nintendo is publishing this game, but they are releasing it on the wrong system. As a result, this game will flop and we will never get to see another one.

This game would not have been made if not for Nintendo, said my Kamiya himself. So you should be thanking Nintendo that Bayonetta 2 even exists.

Yes. We should thank Nintendo for making another bad financial decision. It's what they're good at after all. They can still publish it on other consoles. It's not a Mario and Zelda game people only associate with Nintendo.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lelcar said:

@axlvandamme said:

I realize Nintendo is publishing this game, but they are releasing it on the wrong system. As a result, this game will flop and we will never get to see another one.

This game would not have been made if not for Nintendo, said my Kamiya himself. So you should be thanking Nintendo that Bayonetta 2 even exists.

Yes. We should thank Nintendo for making another bad financial decision. It's what they're good at after all. They can still publish it on other consoles. It's not a Mario and Zelda game people only associate with Nintendo.

why the unwarranted hate towards nintendo? like ps4 and xbone this is ostensibly a console exclusive. meant to, you know, sell consoles.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lelcar said:

@axlvandamme said:

Dude Nintendo will take all the exclusives they can get and since they funded the game you will never see it on other platforms. I bought a WiiU because of W101 and Bayo2. Those games will sell like shit regardless on which platforms they come out on just like Bayo1 sold like shit despite being on 360 and PS3. For that niche audience those games are potential system sellers and it's another high scoring addition to the exclusive lineup. It's not a hard decision to make.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@axlvandamme said:

@lelcar said:

@axlvandamme said:

why the unwarranted hate towards nintendo? like ps4 and xbone this is ostensibly a console exclusive. meant to, you know, sell consoles.

Shh... Nintendo murdered his parents during the great console war of 2001.

Seriously though, Nintendo reviving a beloved franchise benefits everyone.

axlvandamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By axlvandamme

@ripelivejam: I

@axlvandamme said:

@lelcar said:

@axlvandamme said:

True, but I'm willing to bet it won't sell very many consoles. The first one didn't sell well on the two leading consoles of the last generation. This one will sell even worse on the console the least amount of people have.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Well I just see money being burned right in front of my eyes. I can't wait to play this game lol.

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 25

@ripelivejam: I

@ripelivejam said:
    @axlvandamme said:

@lelcar said:

@axlvandamme said:

True, but I'm willing to bet it won't sell very many consoles. The first one didn't sell well on the two leading consoles of the last generation. This one will sell even worse on the console the least amount of people have.

I don't understand what you're riled up about or why you're angry at Nintendo in any way for assisting the creation of a game people want.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too bad its Wii U only. Crazy considering the usual audience that plays Nintendo wouldn't really want this...right?

I am not a nintendo fan but I bought a WiiU just for this game, so Nintendo is getting something out of it for sure.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#109  Edited By doctordonkey

Women ALWAYS look better with long hair.
    No Caption Provided

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God DAMN I need to get a Wii U.

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked how different Bayonetta was on the PS3. I hope this one is just as good.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Sigh. Don't have a WiiU, and a recent move to an apartment has left me with very little petty cash. It's too bad, the first Bayonetta is one of my favorite games. I'll probably pick one up after the new year, work bonus and tax refunds should help out.

KittenTactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Can. Not. Wait.

I'll be sad knowing that this is likely the last time we'll see her in an official capacity but god damn am I happy that people seem to be loving it as much as I loved the demo. With Capcom/Ninja Theory's handling of DMC, I worried that I'd never get another amazing action game from this lineage, but now we're less than two weeks away!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Geese strikes again. The second I saw his name at the top, I knew what score he would give. They shouldn't have given it to him or Rindeau.

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Paste gave it a 9.5

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/10/bayonetta-2-review-the-witch-is-back.html

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By cmblasko

I'm glad that the game seems to be living up to the hype. Revengeance made me a fan of Platinum so I will definitely be giving the Bayonetta series a try in the future.

Nintendo has been making a very strong case for the Wii U over the past year or so. It is the only "next-gen" console that I am eager to own at the moment.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I was waiting for the review scores to come in. Pre-ordered from Amazon since I doubt many stores in my area will carry it - also release day delivery.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Geese strikes again. The second I saw his name at the top, I knew what score he would give. They shouldn't have given it to him or Rindeau.

Clicked their review to see what hilarious sexism bollocks they could tack on, and sure enough got it within a couple of paragraphs. Wasn't too surprised to see his name attached. I supposed he has to get a job somehow.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

If only I had a Wii U....oh wait, I do! Sure, it's at my parents' house and I don't physically have access to it, but I think I have a pretty good idea of how I'll spend my Thanksgiving break. Now I just need to convince said parents to let me bring it down to school (unlikely, my brother still lives at home and pretends he still plays video games that aren't FIFA) or buy a Wii U of my own to replace it (I'll get right on that when I'm swimming in money)

Nice to see Polygon gave it an Expected/10. It's almost comical how predictable the text is for their reviews.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@dr_insane: As has been said countless times, this game would not exist without Nintendo.

GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn Nintendo robing my happiness by making this a Wii U exclusive.

Nintendo are facilitating your happiness by funding it, though.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess traffic was getting a little slow at Polygon so Gies decided it was time for another controversy. Good on him.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater: Will you be able to spend 80 hours with Bayonetta 2 in that one weekend though? Seems like that's the big appeal for DMC type games and I certainly spent around that on the first one.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Seriously? Those are amazing scores. I'm gonna read a bunch of them(and, I presume, wait for some in-depth look at the mechanics from a youtuber or blogger). Hope this will motivate the Giant Bomb crew to actually play it.

They probably won't, considering their tastes, but Dan is at least reviewing it. If nothing else, we can look forward to a QL of it and maybe see it on Dan's Top 10.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan's tweets do seem to indicate he thinks it is great.

GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@grantheaslip said:

In cases like this, I sometimes wonder if there isn't something inherently sexist about a man being offended about the sexualization of characters on behalf of "women" who are presumed to be turned off by it – as if "women" share the same preferences and can't speak for themselves.

This is the problem with most of these dudes. They're incredibly sexist without even realizing it, banging on about sexism where it's only seen by applying their sexist mindset of rushing to be offended in the place of women to somehow protect them. I've never met a woman who plays videogames that didn't love Bayonetta, but these men will rush to tell them they shouldn't but should instead by offended by it. What kind of person does that?

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am once again reminded why Polygon, for all of it's funding and big names, has absolutely zero community. I've had a few posts over there deleted without a word that were not offensive or insulting in any way. Just gone. I guess what they want is an echo chamber.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But it is okay to also feel something during stuff like this. Think of it more along the lines of "This is something my kids should not see". If a game had a cut scene that featured a guy panning over them like they do here, they would probably feel the same way. Hell there would probably be women who would utter the same thing. Some men and women hate it when they consciously know they are being pandered too and no one should deny Bayonetta 2 is definitely going for it.

If you enjoy Bayonetta 2 then don't worry about what the other loves or hates or whatever. But also don't try to suggest their feelings either way are invalid either. Don't waste time or energy trying to rationalize irrational feelings someone else had.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@lelcar: I agree with you. Polygon's review reads like they they are trying to punish the developer for their art direction.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Can't wait for Gies to review his next AAA Western game, which will have extremely toxic representations of women who are given no agency but because it's not as in your face as Bayonetta he won't even bat an eyelash at it.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By ripelivejam

I guess im in for a double treat seeing as i never played the first one..

Man the wii u will make me broke ass broke this holiday.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#136  Edited By GunstarRed

@meatball said:

LOL Polygon.

LOLygon?

God damn it, I hate myself so much right now.

I WILL BE PLAYING BAYONETTA TWO IN UNDER TWO WEEKS AND IT WILL BE THE BESTEST MOSTEST RADDEST THING IN THE WORLD!!!! *breathes*

FajitaBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really happy to own a Wii - U right now, its been a good year for it. Played the demo and it is pretty cool, bonkers and bananas as videogames should be.

BTW this Arthur Gies character... such a prude. We are sexual animals, sex has been a power signifier the whole human history, Bayoneta is a badass hero can do it all, she is not portrayed as dumb or servicial to man. She is portrayed as a powerful so it make sense her sexuality is used to display that power, the same way some male hero's exploit their sexuality to display power.

Anyway looking forward to buy this game on release, THE BEST EXCLUSIVE OF THE YEAR... :)

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: There's not actually a guarantee that this will sell all that well in the first place

I thought that was my whole point?

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By kishinfoulux

Are people really shocked about Gies review? Hell if you listen to his podcast you knew this was coming. Hearing him talk about Mordor was cringeworthy, as well. But hey keep putting those agendas in reviews where they don't belong.

schnoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I shouldn't be surprised about the Polygon review, the reviewer of Tropico 5 criticized the game for making him feel bad about playing as a dictator. The only reason you read a Polygon review is for laughs.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/4/5720864/tropico-5-review-wasted-away-again

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: Are you questioning your point that you made or are you questioning my questioning of your point? Of course it will sell well, you'll buy 500k copies by yourself! Not exactly sure what selling well translates to on the Wii U actually.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

So what you are saying is I have to buy a fucking wii u now.

Well great.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are people really shocked about Gies review? Hell if you listen to his podcast you knew this was coming. Hearing him talk about Mordor was cringeworthy, as well.

ORCS ARE PEOPLE TOOooOOoooooo1!!!1!!!!!11

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: I thought my whole point was that it isn't gonna sell well so it needs all the help it can get, timely reviews included.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: What is the impact of a timely review score on a non-indie game? A 10% boost? 20% boost? Even 10 seems like an extraordinarily high amount, and if we're talking say 100k copies selling 110k isn't going to change that much, even 500k to 550k is a fairly small margin in the grand scheme of things. It would likely have to sell a million or more to be considered a success; probably a lot more than that. Meanwhile I guess be happy the game exists and that publishers are interested in Platinum.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gonmog said:

@corevi: ah. Never big on anime so that never hit me. Ok... It is more funny now lol.

It's not so much an anime thing as it is a "male fetishizing weaponry" thing.

ObiKwiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the more good games Wii U gets, the more people say "I'd buy this if I had a Wii U"

lol

anyway, feels good to have a Wii U :)

This might be the one that tips the scale for me (and I never thought I would buy a Wii U). Between Bayonetta 2, Super Mario 3D World, and Mario Kart I think I'm sold.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is high praise from many places. If only I can one day get a wiiu one day.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#149  Edited By Humanity

@starvinggamer: What is the impact of a timely review score on a non-indie game? A 10% boost? 20% boost? Even 10 seems like an extraordinarily high amount, and if we're talking say 100k copies selling 110k isn't going to change that much, even 500k to 550k is a fairly small margin in the grand scheme of things. It would likely have to sell a million or more to be considered a success; probably a lot more than that. Meanwhile I guess be happy the game exists and that publishers are interested in Platinum.

Well in the opening week it sold a quarter of what the original game made on just one of the two platforms it came out for.

So yah. I really want to play it, but I'm not an insane person so I'm not going to, quite literally, waste money on an entire console for just one game. I wish I could say it's tempting but common sense is too strong.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It goes without saying how excited I am for this to show up at my front door, but I'm also real curious to see how the port of the first game runs on the Wii U. Playing through O.G. Bayonetta several more times, at a smooth frame rate, could eat up a lot of my winter time free time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.