Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bionic Commando

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released May 18, 2009

Bionic Commando is the follow-up to the NES classic of the same name. The game revolves around the protagonist's bionic arm used for swinging, and combat.

Bad reviews (6025 & 5.0) in Game Informer

Thinktank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Thinktank

Just got my new GI and I was kind of shocked by Bionic Commando getting such low scores. I loved the first look gameplay video Giant Bomb did, the action looked great as did the graphics. The GI review labels the playability as, "An extremely challenging and frequently clumsy control mechanic drastically hurts the experience." Later the magazine points out, "The game conspires against you freely navigating the environment, instead making you feel fragile and clumsy."

I really want this game to be good but these reviews are not a good sign, what do you guys think?

REVIEWS 6.25 AND 5.0
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

I heard that it also got some bad reviews in other magazines.  Seriously considering canceling my preorder.

I can see why it might suck.  Did they say how long the single player was?  Because the MP demo didn't work well for me at all.

edit : also, I have a sub to GI, WHERE'S MY ISSUE YOU ASSHOLES?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By CL60

Who cancels their pre-order based on somebody elses opinion on a game?

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By fr0br0

From what it seems, the game is very hard and will probably frustrate a lot of players in the beginning. But after spending some time getting used to the swing mechanic it becomes rewarding.

Thinktank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Thinktank

They don't say how long the game was but the replay value was listed as "moderately low"

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By VWGTI

I can't say that I'm suprised to be honest.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Diamond
    CL60 said:
    "Who cancels their pre-order based on somebody elses opinion on a game?"
    I cancel my preorders based on facts other people tell me about.  Supposedly a major fault in the game comes down to invisible near instant death radiation zones, which doesn't sound fun to me.  It matters less what they thought than what they can tell me about the game that's objective.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Shadow

Not that I was going to buy it anyway (Infamous comes out way too close), but that's sad to see.

Thinktank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Thinktank

I will wait to see what the consensus is on the game, especially the gamers themselves. Its just too bad when a developer is cool enough to bring a playable build of a game to a site like Giant Bomb and comes across really likeable but then the game they worked on does not live up to the hype. 

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By End_Boss
    VWGTI said:
    "I can't say that I'm suprised to be honest."
    My first indication that the game was in trouble was the disturbing addition of white boy dreads.

No Caption Provided

warp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By warp
    Fr0Br0 said:
    "From what it seems, the game is very hard and will probably frustrate a lot of players in the beginning. But after spending some time getting used to the swing mechanic it becomes rewarding."

Which pretty much describes the original Bionic Commando. The game has always rewarded persistence and practice so why should the new one be any different?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By toowalrus
    CL60 said:
    Someone who doesn't have a ton of spare cash, and who doesn't want to spend it on a bad game.
    themoon13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#13  Edited By themoon13

I enjoyed the MP demo on XBL very much, I'm gonna get it regardless of scores. I hope the single player is not tooo short though.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hamz
    warp said:
    "Fr0Br0 said:
    "From what it seems, the game is very hard and will probably frustrate a lot of players in the beginning. But after spending some time getting used to the swing mechanic it becomes rewarding."
    Which pretty much describes the original Bionic Commando. The game has always rewarded persistence and practice so why should the new one be any different?"
    Because the Xbox generation has spoken! Their word is law, do not question them!

In all honesty though depending on what GI actually mentioned as being the aspects of the game that gained it a slightly negative review, I'm still looking forward to the game. It looks good and challenging. You aren't playing as Spiderman web swinging around the city, you are a dude with a heavy metal arm and hand as a grapple hook. Of course it is going to be a little clunky and do some degree may even have a steep learning curve.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jayge_
    VWGTI said:
    "I can't say that I'm suprised to be honest."
    After that horrendous Multiplayer Demo, neither can I. Although it looked terrible beforehand. Yeesh.
    Thinktank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Thinktank

For those who don't have the magazine but want the entire 2 reviews, here they are:

Review 1: 
    "Nathan R.A.D. Spencer has a bionic arm, and he's been pressed back into service after 5 long years in prison. His arm is a miracle of science, allowing him to do things no other man could manage. Unfortunately, it has a number of flaws, not the leas among them is that its great weight pulls him under if he falls in the water. At times, you wonder if Spencer would be better off without his bionic enhancement. The game suffers from a similar dilemma--a lot of great ideas and mechanics are trying to rise to the surface, but fundamental flaws inevitably pull it down. 
    The more you play Bionic Commando, the more you scratch your head. Why is Spencer fighting? What is his ultimate objective? Why do we care? These questions are best left for a different game where the plotline is more than an excuse to swing into the next stage. Tack on your most idiotic twist ending in years, and the game seems more like a parody than straight-faced action fare. 
    The core experience of swing through environments should be the heart of the game; if done correctly it's more than capable of making up for a lackluster story. At times, careening through the air is fast and thrilling. Then you fall into a pit, your arm can't reach a cross beam, some enemy guns you down, or (my personal favorite) you swing into a radiation zone and die. The game conspires against you freely navigating the environment, instead making you feel fragile and clumsy. It's not the sensation I'm looking for from a machismo-laden killing machine. 
    Despite my obvious frustration at the title, I can't disregard Bionic Commando's strengths. Environments look great, and the voice work and music are top notch. Watching a bunch of commandos swinging around the same stage trying to blast each other in multiplayer is also fun. However, it's hard to forget the unresponsive controls, ludicrous story, and questionable combat encounters. The game is uneven and inconsistent enough to scare away even eager fans who have patiently waited 20 years for another swing" MILLER

Review 2:
    "Imagine you are playing a Spider-man game, but half the buildings are missing, the swing mechanic doesn't work nearly as well, all of Spidey's witticisms are replaced with juvenile military angst, and someone keeps slapping  the back of your head with a wiffle bat. This is Bionic Commando. Capcom's attempt to revive its 8-bit classic fails thanks to lackluster combat, a clumsy swing system that often results in frustrating instant death, and a conclusion so laughably stupid it borders on insulting. Lifting cars into the air with your bionic arm and tossing them at your foes can be fun, and the multiplayer is amusingly different because everyone swings across the map like crazy. But as a whole, this update doesn't do the lovable classic any justice." BEN

BONUS SCREENSHOT CAPTION:
    How's the script? We'll let it speak for itself. Here is one of Spencer's lines: "Whoa, is that a long health bar, or are you just happy to see me?"

themoon13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#17  Edited By themoon13

How the hell is the swinging clunky? its pretty much perfect in my opinion. It does have a bit of a learning curve though.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Milkman
    CL60 said:
    People who don't want to waste their money?
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Why is Spencer fighting? What is his ultimate objective? Why do we care?

Exactly, Edge.  Why do we care?  Better yet, why the fuck do you care?  Who the hell is looking forward to BC for the story?  Not every game needs to be BioShock to be worth playing.  I'm going into Bionic Commando expecting a silly comic book style story, and I'm sure that's what I'll get.  If a few jokes fall flat, I'm cool with that.  This is a video game, not the latest Patton Oswalt CD.  Who. Cares.

As for the swing mechanic, I've played at least six hours of the demo so far, and I can tell you they absolutely fucking nailed the swing mechanic.  Use the private match exploit, turn up the control sensitivity, and spend a good hour or so swinging around the demo with a few friends.  Then come back here and tell me that you agree with Edge, and the swinging feels "clumsy".  If you still feel that way, you should see me go circling several times around main building in the demo without ever needing to touch the ground.

Spiderman games practically hand you flawless swinging on a silver platter.  BC actually requires a decent sense of timing and a little bit of skill.  That's a good thing, people!  Trust me when i say that reviewers are going to be split on this game, just as players are going to be split on this game, but I would hardly go canceling your preorder because of a couple early reviews.  Come the 18th there should be a ton of reviews you can read to help you make up your mind.  Wait until then to decide.

Lastly, thanks to ThinkTank for posting the whole review.  I've been wanting to read that ever since hearing about the score.

[edit]
    As for the length, I've heard one person from Capcom say it was 10 to 14 hours (in the Quick Look, I believe), and Ben Judd said just today on the PlayStation blog: "It’s one of the few big releases in May to feature a 20-plus-hour-long single-player campaign and several multiplayer modes."

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
    deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When Re-Armed came on on XBLA, I played the demo twice and absolutely hated it both times because of the controls. Several months later I bought it because I had some extra points, played through the first two levels, got good with the controls, and now it's one of my favorite games. I've since played through it four times.

If the swing mechanic is good, I will put in the time to learn it. Even if it's frustrating.

daz0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By daz0608

@SpaceInsomniac: Nicley put, I agree I wans't expecting too much out of the story, after playing Bionic Commando: Rearmed where basicly the Nazi's resurrect Hitler then you kill him, my expectations weren't set that high.

One thing I looking forward to though is the gameplay and using and mastering the swing mechanic 
    Metzas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Metzas

Even though I am too one of the many ( at least I hope ) excited about this game, Capcom seriously mishandled the promotion of its product. Although they made some wonderful videos showcasing the game and enough to build it some hype, the demo was a serious misstep. Releasing a demo of a game that the one thing that makes it awesome is it's swing mechanic, -and in a map that doesn't allow that mechanic to shine- without having the slightest hint of what to do when you jump in is ridicilous! If not for my past experience with the XBLA game, I would have to been compeled to quit after the first 10 minutes.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Other review scores are already leaking out, and they're much higher scores than the GI review.

UK "360 Magazine" - 4 out of 5
    UK "Play" - 82%
    Italian "Play Generation" - 88%

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By pause422

Sorry, I'll give my opinion on the game once I've played it for myself, I don't ever completely rely on other opinions, and the bottom of the barrel would be Game Informer. I don't know why anyone would actually trust an opinion of such a shit magazine.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By Sooperspy
    @CL60: Anybody who isnt stupid
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Diamond
    SpaceInsomniac said:
    Other review scores are already leaking out, and they're much higher scores than the GI review.UK "360 Magazine" - 4 ... [more]
    OK those make me feel a LOT better.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Ouch. Those scores aren't rad.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By vidiot
    SpaceInsomniac said:
    Why is Spencer fighting? What is his ultimate objective? Why do we care? Exactly, Edge.  Why do we care?  Better ... [more]
    I'll care, if they try and make me care.
    For example: Killzone 2 tried to make the player feel conflicted over a conflict, and sympathize with it's characters near the end of the campaign. It fell laughably short. I'm all for a comic book, save the world, shoot every stupid dude in the face affair. That's what Bionic Commando is. I'm afraid for any over the top drama without any context, and characters who are not likable.
    wubzu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By wubzu

Why would people give two shits what Game Informer says.

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Giantsquirrel

It's just an opinion, at least rent the game and judge it for yourself. I've enjoyed lots of poorly reviewed games in my life.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By JJOR64

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek.  I really enjoyed the multiplayer.  I might pick it up still.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Diamond
    wubzu said:
    Why would people give two shits what Game Informer says.
    If it had been just GI, I wouldn't care, but other magazines were giving it 6/10s as well.

Now that there's a few 8/10s things are balanced out a bit better.
    Avatar image for gingertastic_10
    gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#33  Edited By gingertastic_10

i really really really like the game...yeah GI i didnt like it, and gamespot didnt like it, but gametrailers, giant bomb, and OXM gave it good scores..some of the games i really like got trashed by critics...dont get a game because a critic gave it a bad review...the game might surprise you..

Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Matt_
    Shadow said:
    Not that I was going to buy it anyway (Infamous comes out way too close), but that's sad to see. [more]

Me too. I am spending my money on Infamous next week.
    Avatar image for equal_opportunity_destroyer497
    Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Reviews have been all over the place, and understandably so. While the swinging does become rewarding, there's just a bunch of other stupid design flaws that can be damn frustrating. I can only play it for maybe a half-hour to 45 min. before I get pissed and turn it off because of some series of cheap-ass deaths.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Drebin_893
    TheGreatGuero said:
    Ouch. Those scores aren't rad.

This thread is over.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By get2sammyb

I think it's really good. The reviews have been really harsh across the board. There are flaws, but I'm really enjoying the game. GRIN must be pretty disappointed actually -- the game should have reviewed better in my opinion.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mordukai
    CL60 said:
    Who cancels their pre-order based on somebody elses opinion on a game?
    I fully Agree. If you love a certain video game then no review should change your mind about it. Play it your self and then make up your mind.
    makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#39  Edited By makari

I can understand the hate. I just finished it on Commando yesterday, and it's pretty much both the best and worst game ever at the same time. Even if you're good, you'll still die a fair bit of cheap deaths. It's very rewarding when you get past the learning curve, but the cheap deaths might get to some people (and clearly has, judging from the reviews). The high points of the game are among the highest I've had in gaming though. It was a rush killing the polymechs for the first time after alot of failed attempts, and the stuff that happens near the end of the game is so awesome.

youstolemykill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By youstolemykill

I played it at a friends house few days ago. Game is defiantly a RENT.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DonPixel

i think this game is boring and generic.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#42  Edited By natetodamax
    @Thinktank: They could have just as easily gone to the website and read it instead of you copying it from the magazine. Plagiarism FTW!
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By Ineedaname
    Giantsquirrel said:
    It's just an opinion, at least rent the game and judge it for yourself. I've enjoyed lots of poorly reviewed ... [more]
    Truth!
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#44  Edited By EpicSteve

I really loved the game, and am working on my own review, but I'm not to sure what I want to say. Bionic Commando is an easy game to crap on, but ll of its flaws will either be easy for people to forgive, or impossible.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    EpicSteve said:
    I really loved the game, and am working on my own review, but I'm not to sure what I want ... [more]
    I struggled with pretty much the same issue when writing my review.  Much like Jeff, I ended up bitching about the game's flaws, and then just saying that despite all that, it's still worth playing.

http://www.gogaminggiant.com/2009/05/community-review-bionic-commando/
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46  Edited By trophyhunter

well its one of those game that you either love or fucking hate

Southgrove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#47  Edited By Southgrove

After getting my ass handed to me by the game, I was in shock for a couple of hours. Then I realized that that hadn't happened (to that degree) for many, many years. Now I'm completely extatic. Go go Nintendo generation!

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Linkyshinks

I wonder if the control issues will be remedied in the PC version by Capcom.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.