Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bionic Commando

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released May 18, 2009

Bionic Commando is the follow-up to the NES classic of the same name. The game revolves around the protagonist's bionic arm used for swinging, and combat.

Bionic Commando and it's swinging

MjsStefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By MjsStefan

Now this  doesn't just apply to just Bionic Commando but other games as well. Though for some reason I've been playing the game for a while and I still don't feel 100 percent confident in my ability to swing. I've gotten far enough in the game, but something about the swinging mechanic doesn't feel right to me yet I'm always either letting go too early or too late. Yet at times I do perfectly, it's very hit or miss, quite literally I might add. I very much enjoy the gameplay and the game itself is wonderful, but personally I just suck at swinging. I'm sure I'll get better but I feel like the game should give some kind of practice areana or pace better to get the player to feel powerful with the swinging.

This isn't the only game this happens in there have been other games where the main machanic is innovative or new and I just can't get it right. Such as Halo 3 and it's pickups. I always used them inncorectly because I would go to reload and hit the X button like I have for the 5 five years before in the previous Halos and for the developers to just change that really messed up my shit. I still fuck up in that game to this day.

Anyway I really enjoy Bionic Comando and will go play it right after writng this. Though I was just seeing if anybody else had the same problem in this game or others for that matter.

MjsStefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MjsStefan

Now this  doesn't just apply to just Bionic Commando but other games as well. Though for some reason I've been playing the game for a while and I still don't feel 100 percent confident in my ability to swing. I've gotten far enough in the game, but something about the swinging mechanic doesn't feel right to me yet I'm always either letting go too early or too late. Yet at times I do perfectly, it's very hit or miss, quite literally I might add. I very much enjoy the gameplay and the game itself is wonderful, but personally I just suck at swinging. I'm sure I'll get better but I feel like the game should give some kind of practice areana or pace better to get the player to feel powerful with the swinging.

This isn't the only game this happens in there have been other games where the main machanic is innovative or new and I just can't get it right. Such as Halo 3 and it's pickups. I always used them inncorectly because I would go to reload and hit the X button like I have for the 5 five years before in the previous Halos and for the developers to just change that really messed up my shit. I still fuck up in that game to this day.

Anyway I really enjoy Bionic Comando and will go play it right after writng this. Though I was just seeing if anybody else had the same problem in this game or others for that matter.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By jeff

You might want to try starting a private multiplayer game and just getting into a map by yourself. The MP maps aren't exactly set up for tons of speed swinging, but it'll probably help you get a feel for the maximum length of the arm and the best release points for getting from place to place.

MjsStefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MjsStefan
    @Jeff:  Thanks very much Jeff I will try that.
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

I know with the demo multiplayer map (Vertigo) you can swing a path around the main building over and over again if you get good at timing your swings.  It's actually a great level to practice with.  Another thing that will help a lot is watching for the blue "perfect swing" indicator above your reticule, and let go of your swing as soon as it appears.  Finally, you don't even need to watch for the blue swing indicator, if you learn to watch your character's legs during the swinging animation.  On the downward swing, the legs are behind the character.  As you start to move upward--and when you should release--the character pulls his legs back to a more neutral position.  Watch for these signs, get the timing down, and you'll find yourself getting a lot better.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jakob187

Try turning up the sensitivity in your control options menu.  I play at about a 7.  One of the biggest issues I was having with the game at the beginning was the inability to turn quickly with my right analog stick.  The D-pad being set up for quick turn just seemed stupid to me.  However, once I upped the sensitivity, it was much easier to maneuver around.

Other than that, the only thing I can say is practice, practice, practice.  There were guys playing last night that were picking it up in less than 10 minutes and you would've sworn they've played it for years, while other guys just couldn't figure out how to make it work.  It's definitely something unique to mix in with the shooter genre, but you can do it, man.
    MjsStefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MjsStefan

I appreciate all of the tips, thank you everyone.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Rhaknar

I got used to it pretty fast, but at first I was really thrown off (no pun intended). I actually like that it takes some skill and its not just automatic to swing around, makes the game feel completely different than i expected, and thats a good thing

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Sunjammer

That arm is totally emergent. I had so many "oh shit" moments barely saving myself with it or doing something with it instinctively that i didn't realize i could actually do (like winding the cable around the strut you're swinging from to actually land on top of it without releasing.

Practise practise practise. I love that element of chaos and the satisfaction i get from a well timed swing. I hope to dear god they get to do a sequel.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.