Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Feb 09, 2010

Ten years after the events of the first game, Subject Delta is awoken and must unravel the mystery behind the Big Sisters and his own past in the ruined underwater city of Rapture.

Rumor Mill: 2k Marin asks BioShock originator for help.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai

The LOOSE TALK section of the latest issue of Game Informer issue has reported that 2k Marin are in such in need of help with Bioshock 2 that they have turned for help from (the former) BioShock guru, Ken Levin. The report states that 

Among those 2k Marin has turned for help on BioShock 2 recently was Ken Levin, designer of the original BioShock. What's more unfortunate - that they had to go and ask Levin for his help at this stage of development, or that he wouldn't do it?

Some of you will probably remember that about two years back the mysterious Surfer Girl reported that Levin was pretty much outs by the people at 2k Marin (former employees at 2k Boston) from the development of BioShock 2. For thse of you who don't remember I managed to dig up her blog about this as her personal blog site was deleted a while back. 

"2K Boston is still recovering - a good chunk of the BioShock team did not want to work with Ken ever again, and 2K definitely understood the sentiment and let them set up a new studio so that they can make  Bioshock 2, leaving Ken with  Project X. A good chunk of the other senior 2K Boston people who were sick of Ken but didn't move to San Francisco ended up scattering to other AAA developers instead. In Quincy, they're essentially rebuilding a team from almost scratch again."    

With the delay of BioShock 2 until Q1 2010 coupled with the many studios enlisted for the development of this game and now this recent rumor that 2K Marin are asking help from the very same guy they outs, does not help my trepidation that BioShock 2 will not hold up to it's predecessor.  

What are your thoughts?
    kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kmdrkul

Couldn't care less about the controversy surrounding Ken Levine and 2K Marin.  So long as the game comes out good, I really don't care.  *Cue the dozens of morons who are going to say Bioshock 2 will suck, well before they've played it*

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Damien

If true, doesn't bode well for Bioshock 2

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By AndrewB

If they hadn't already sunk in a F**kton of money, I'd say scrap the whole project. This game just isn't looking good, and it's only going to tarnish the Bioshock name. This is what happens when you try too hard to make a sequel to a game that didn't really need one to begin with. Their best option would have been to either wait till Levin's team could do it, personally, or go the better route of making a new System Shock game. Worse comes to worse, they could just slap "from the makers of Bioshock!!!" on the box, if they're really worried that people these days don't know what System Shock is. But hell... it sounds enough like Bioshock, anyway.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel
    @AndrewB: The problem with your System Shock suggestion is that 2K Games doesn't own the rights to the System Shock series.
    Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#6  Edited By Ping5000
    @Hailinel: Then call it Systemic Shock.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AndrewB
    @Hailinel: Ah. See, I really don't know the whole legal stuff behind all this.

It's just a shame that developers/publishers aren't willing to take a risk on a new project ( and with good reason, unfortunately), because, again, if worst came to worst, they could always slap that big ole' "makers of" sticker on the box, and put out a totally new IP, rather than forcing another sequel.

Systm Shok!
    Infinityslimit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Infinityslimit

Bioshock shouldn't have a sequel, no need other than greedyness. And I can tell you point blank it won't be as good as the original, firs thing is I already seen that place so immediatley it drops down a couple of levels of amazement. Second point, the main guy Levine is not on the project. So just by general intuition and the way the project seems to be going I can tell that it won't be as good. Whenever you see people leaving a project to someone else bad sign. I don't think the game will be terrible it might actually be good just no where near as good and amazing as the first one was.

Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#9  Edited By Ping5000
    @Ping5000: No, wait. I have a better idea. 

Zyztem Zhock
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#10  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I am also of the mindset that a sequel to Bioshock was never a good idea. The fact that they have to go to Ken Levin for help kind of proves how disjointed the entire project is.

Ken420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ken420

I don't think Microsoft will allow the name System Shock, too much irony. 

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AndrewB

2 System, 2 Shock? Okay... I don't want to derail the thread here... enough of that (Plus, that doesn't make any sense, since there was already a System Shock 2).

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mordukai
    @kmdrkul: I did not say that BioShock 2 will suck in any way, shape, or form. I was merely expressing my fears that all these "events" surrounding this game may mean that the development team are way over their heads and are having serious problems with the sequel. Why else would you turn to the one person you initially ran away from. 
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mordukai
    @Ken420 said:
    " I don't think Microsoft will allow the name System Shock, too much irony.  "
    What does MS has to do with the System Shock name? EA owns the it. I think you were thinking of System Failure. 

@Ping5000 said:
    " @Ping5000: No, wait. I have a better idea.  Zyztem Zhock "
    Why does you name suggestion sounds like something,  Baron Werner Ünderbheit from the Venture Bros. would say?
    Infinityslimit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Infinityslimit

A system shock remake would make a lot more sense. Almost nobody I know even heard of it and it's such a great game, I hope they are working on it.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Scooper

Is anyone actualy interested in Bioshock 2? Even if you loved the first game I can't see how this game would excite you.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kmdrkul
    @Scooper said:
    " Is anyone actualy interested in Bioshock 2? Even if you loved the first game I can't see how this game would excite you. "
    I'm very interested.  I loved the atmosphere of the original and I know that even if Bioshock 2 turns out to be total pants, their is no way they could possibly screw up in the atmosphere department.  The videos I've seen of the game seem to confirm this.  I'm admittedly skeptical about the online play, but I have faith that the story, in whatever direction it is going, will still be worth checking out, if only to return to Rapture and murder some splicers.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By jakob187
    @Scooper said:
    " Is anyone actualy interested in Bioshock 2? Even if you loved the first game I can't see how this game would excite you. "
    I'm incredibly interested!  The first game was great, and the second game looks to deliver more of that to me with the changes that I wanted in the first.  The multiplayer is something that I think looks exciting.  I doubt it will be super popular like Halo or Gears, but I like that they are offering a way for players to see the downfall of Rapture through the best way you could do that:  by killing the shit out of each other.  I mean, SERIOUSLY, they all go bonkers, and it's basically "whatever goes" in Rapture...so dicking around is absolutely something that would happen.  It'll be a little stiff, sure, but whatever.  I'm going to play it for the story of it all. 

I have confidence that Bioshock 2 is going to surprise the shit out of people and make the naysayers rethink what they said.  Bioshock didn't NEED a sequel, but it's getting one.  It is many of the same guys that worked on the first game.  Have faith.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ryanwho

Levin's solution was "don't make a sequel". Maybe they should go with that. Remake the assets and call it something else.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By natetodamax

I starting to get the feeling that 2K has no clue what their doing with the game

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Scooper
    @kmdrkul:@jakob187: Fair enough. I guess It's just me who has lost interest. I liked the first game but a second doesn't feel nessasary to me. I wasn't too into the story though so the promise of more fiction in the second game hasn't hooked me like it has you guys.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.