Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

An interpretation of Bioshock Infinite's Ending *spoils*

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

It was a dream. Booker woke up from it at the end. Cause multiuniverses and cities in the sky aren't real.

They set themselves up perfectly for that, and I'm sure the last DLC will explitly say that so they can go to next-gen Bioshock with a clean slate (in other words, they used the ending twist just because they needed a twist, and will drop it cause it would be dumb to follow up on it).

Obviously they won't say this until much later, because people hate the 'dream' conclusion and will start shitting on the game when they realize it.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I seriously doubt they will do this.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By MildMolasses

No, and also there a several other threads you could have thrown this in.

That would be incredible lazy. I'm assuming the point of that scene was to show that there are still infinite Bookers and Elizabeths. They only managed to stop the events after the baptism, not before it

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#4  Edited By BeachThunder

That should be some kind of April Fools patch where they add "AND BOOKER WOKE UP AND IT WAS ALL A DREAMLOL" right at the end.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Not only is this stupid and not what they're doing, and a nonsensical argument, but the entire events of Infinite are undone at the end of the game, so they have a clean slate as it is (not to mention that they are clearly going to make the next game in it's own self-contained universe again if they make another one).

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm hoping if they do release DLC that continues the story from the end they just play Benny Hill music throughout the entire piece of extra content.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Well multiverses do have a basis in science.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

...?

You must think that Ken Levine and everyone working under him is a complete and total moron, because that's the only way what you're suggesting could be true. What do you have against Ken Levine?

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mtcantor

He was dead the whole time. They are all ghosts. He is his own sister. It's really in modern day.

Shit, all of those are kind of right.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They died in the plane crash, the numbers mean nothing, and the island is just an island?

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By SlashDance

@mcfart said:

It was a dream. Booker woke up from it at the end. Cause multiuniverses and cities in the sky aren't real.

Spoiler : Dewitt isn't real either.

They can only explain this by having him realize he's just bits on a DVD.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm hoping if they do release DLC that continues the story from the end they just play Benny Hill music throughout the entire piece of extra content.

Or when he opens the door its just the end of Dallas.

Loading Video...

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By mrfluke

Not only is this stupid and not what they're doing, and a nonsensical argument, but the entire events of Infinite are undone at the end of the game, so they have a clean slate as it is (not to mention that they are clearly going to make the next game in it's own self-contained universe again if they make another one).

Well multiverses do have a basis in science.

...?

You must think that Ken Levine and everyone working under him is a complete and total moron, because that's the only way what you're suggesting could be true. What do you have against Ken Levine?

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@mcfart said:

They set themselves up perfectly for that, and I'm sure the last DLC will explitly say that so they can go to next-gen Bioshock with a clean slate (in other words, they used the ending twist just because they needed a twist, and will drop it cause it would be dumb to follow up on it).

Obviously they won't say this until much later, because people hate the 'dream' conclusion and will start shitting on the game when they realize it.

Reading this is actually the first time the thought crossed my mind that the ending scene could mean this. You literally have to throw out everything else in the game that explains everything.

They need to make an April Fools joke and get Troy Baker to say "Woah, it was all a dream." That would be pretty funny.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

This whole thing was a dream the dude from Bioshock had between the plane crashing and waking up near the lighthouse.

I hope the next generation has a new series of shock games....And I hope any DLC for infinite isn't pointless garbage like 'defend these things' or 'take out these waves of dudes' or 'complete these trials'....I'm looking at you Dishonored.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagbiker said:

@i_stay_puft said:

Or when he opens the door its just the end of Dallas.

Loading Video...

My mind's f'in blown. Actually I thought it would of been pretty rad if Lincoln Force came around and started blowing up shit like that Conduit 2 ending that nobody seen.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Why does everyone assume Irrational is going to make another BioShock game? They're owned by 2K, not Activision. 2K respects their developers enough to not push for sequels on games if they don't have it in them.

Also OP's interpretation of the ending is as valid as anyone else's. I imagine it was left open like that for that very reason.

Zephyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zephyr

@mcfart said:

Valid interpretation, but I don't subscribe to it. And you forget that the previous games were System Shock, so there's no reason the next iteration can't be NanoShock or MetaShock or something like that and have nothing to do with anything prior.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
    SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@zephyr said:

@mcfart said:

Valid interpretation, but I don't subscribe to it. And you forget that the previous games were System Shock, so there's no reason the next iteration can't be NanoShock or MetaShock or something like that and have nothing to do with anything prior.

Really hope it's NanoShock. Nano is a criminally underused prefix, and is usually indicative of amazing things

UltraSoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait for the DLC, maybe they will explain some things

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the last BioShock, start adjusting to the thought.

luizferrarezzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By luizferrarezzi

everything was Booker's dream because if you look at the big picture it has all his fears and insecurities mixed with a lot of ideias that are not compatible with each other like quantum physics and back to the future time travel. Everything was his subconscious telling him to get his shit together and take care and respect Anna.( when Booker tells "I'm afraid of you" to Elizabeth, he is afraid of the responsabilities of taking care of her alone being poor and how his decisions are going to affect her in the future.)

And i prefer a humane point of view than just waste time trying to figure out the conection between the arbitrary rules Levine used to make his plot. in quantum physics there is no source you can only create new branches.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I would fucking hate that.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zephyr said:

@mcfart said:

Really hope it's NanoShock. Nano is a criminally underused prefix, and is usually indicative of amazing things

Nanoshock sounds like a Bioshock game set in the future. ON THE MOON!

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@secondpersonshooter said:

@zephyr said:

@mcfart said:

Nanoshock sounds like a Bioshock game set in the future. ON THE MOON!

To the Biomoon.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is about as reasonable as suggesting this thread is a dream. *INCEPTION HORN*

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are no longer an infinite number of Comstocks. There still are an infinite number of DeWitts, ones who never went to Wounded Knee.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Funkydupe

Metashock, a metaphysical journey

wolfshield2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By wolfshield2

There are an infinite number of Booker worlds where his relation to other people have changed. The ending of BioShock infinite was simply the world where Elizabeth is his daughter. She knew all the doors the moment they stepped into their father/daughter relationship world. The Comstock revelation was revealed instantly to her because Booker never changed his deep connection to her. Even after being reincarnated. Booker has a deep connection to her. He spent twenty years despairing over her. There is a universe within the sea of towers that has Elizabeth as his soul mate rather than a daughter. Their history is similar except for this connection. Elizabeth was Annabelle's and Booker's daughter. Comstock was created the same way. At an alternate ending an Annabelle from this alternate world tear's to the event when Booker is about to get baptized. She stops him from getting baptized and tears him to her current time. They have Elizabeth and the original story takes over. The reason why Comstock was created was because Annabelle teared him from a possible universe. The baptism was simply an act of the universe replacing an entity that was yanked out of existence. While an infinite number of other worlds exist where Elizabeth is deeply rooted into Booker.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By ch3burashka

This is the last BioShock, start adjusting to the thought.

Dontcha remember Zelnick? There's gonna be 6 more Bioshocks! And a Bioshock MMO~

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.