Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

Heavy racism themes are okay but misogyny is too far?

• 115 results
    Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@oldenglishc said:

Someone didn't pay attention in history class. Floating, steam-punk utopias in the early twentieth century were totally cool with women's rights.

Is the game good? It looks like it's fantastic.

(Also, gay racists would make a great Jerry Springer show.)

There was the gay KKK bit that was on Chappelle's show

Loading Video...

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#52  Edited By MildMolasses

@metal_mills: Sorry, someone clearly derailed this.

To your question at hand, I think it's just a matter of the specific story that they want to tell, and that did not involve creating a group that was all encompassing hate for everything. I suppose from a narrative stand point, you could just interpret this as their women being held up as a prized necessity to maintain the pure society they desire. They need their women, so they elevate their women

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

It's because video games aren't considered art and have to cater to whatever vocal minority is yelling the loudest and banging their pots and pans together.

Glad I could clear that up for you.

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mildmolasses: I though he was a black KKK member that was blind in that skit.

@tobiass said:

@jams said:

@tobiass said:

Well this is what I get for speaking my mind :(

I think you need to elaborate more clearly. At least that's what I think. I'm curious as to how exactly you came to that thinking. I'm not saying you're right or wrong, I just want to know if you have an example or two you came across that lead you to that conclusion.

I think I'm gonna let it die.

I think that's a good idea. You might also want to think about why you thought it was ok to generalize about millions of gay people based on interactions you've had with only a handful of gay people.

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I need to tell my best friend he can't be gay anymore since he is black.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Between this thread and the one about POPERY, I don't know which one is more insane.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gogosox82: That was a different sketch. The gay KKK clip was posted at the top of this page

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, who cares about racism. And it's there to serve the narrative! However, misogyny is never okay.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#61  Edited By musubi

So, Bioshock, right guys?

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mildmolasses: Totally forgot about that sketch. God, i miss that show.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Is there some specific game that had misogyny as a thematic element recently that got panned for it or something? What am I missing here?

Person A writes an essay exploring racism. Person B runs around shouting "Fuck women! Women suck!"

Person C acts befuddled as to why Person B is drawing more attention than Person A.

What?

Avatar image for kenlevineiscool
    KenLevineIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By KenLevineIsCool

Why hide these subjects? Anything can be examined, questioned or made fun of. Religion, races, holocaust and etc. That's freedom of speech.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @starvinggamer said:

Is there some specific game that had misogyny as a thematic element recently that got panned for it or something? What am I missing here?

I thought Tomb Raider was largely accused of being that? I don't know if it had misogyny as a thematic element, but many accused that game of being misogynistic.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#66  Edited By Justin258

I didn't think that misogyny was one of its themes.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#67  Edited By MikeFightNight

Dude just wants to tell a good story, that's all. Didn't you see that GB segment with him? Misogyny must not have been an integral part to the story he wanted to tell if its not present. I mean this isn't a work of historical truths, right? Neither is it being promoted in such a way. So don't be surprised if he touches on only certain subjects in this based somewhat in reality fictitious story.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By MildMolasses

@starvinggamer said:

I thought Tomb Raider was largely accused of being that? I don't know if it had misogyny as a thematic element, but many accused that game of being misogynistic.

That seemed more to do with the horrible pre-release marketing and developer interviews than the game itself.

I think people are having confusion separating the exploration of idea rather than being something. Bioshock Infinite uses the racism as a characteristic of its antagonist. The game "Ethnic Cleansing" made by a neo-nazi record label is racist because your only purpose is to murder minorities. Sure you could argue that both are inappropriate, but one is certainly trying for an intelligent exploration of the idea. It would be impossible to create a story about suffragettes without there being elements of misogyny in there, but that wouldn't make the work itself misogynistic

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#71  Edited By jillsandwich

Holy mother of fuck this thread got dark.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer said:

Right, but there's a world of difference there. Talking about racism and being racist are completely different things. So I'm confused as to why this thread seems to be comparing an attempt to discuss racism to actively being misogynistic.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#73  Edited By Ramone

I love how many people are COMPLETELY MISSING THE POINT OF THE OP.

He is saying that the actions of a lot of the characters in terms of interacting with people of other races is very much in line with how things probably were 100 years ago, HOWEVER, despite this being right slap bang in the middle of the suffragette movement, there is almost no sexism towards females, in fact other characters see them as equals, which isn't historically accurate.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

@oraknabo said:

It's also got a flying city. I don't think they were going for an accurate picture of the period. They picked the themes they wanted to focus on and left others to the side.

I agree with this. Racism is a major theme because it is heavily featured in the overall plot of the story. Sure, an argument can be made that not enough attention was given to the misogynistic themes and the role of women in those times, but I highly doubt it was a situation where they thought, "Racism sells! Sexism doesn't!"

Sometimes I notice in period piece films that black people are placed in roles they would never be in at that time, but it's just a passing thought as the major plot has nothing to do with race, so who cares.

Also, it's a fucking floating city where people shoot crows from their hands.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#75  Edited By jadegl

I think it's the difference between advocating something and not. I would assume the creators of the game aren't advocating racism and that their story is actually trying to say that that is a bad thing. This is just a guess obviously, but it's what I am gathering by some of the talk in reviews and what we are tiptoeing around here. I haven't seen a game yet that has misogynistic characters or circumstances that is aiming to tell a story that says that those things are bad. There's no video game equivalent of The Handmaid's Tale that I know of. So, it's really comparing apples and oranges. One is a crafted story that has some sort of message, the other is some people (reviewers, commentators) seeing bad marketing gimmicks or poor handling of female characters and pointing it out.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@starvinggamer said:

Right, but there's a world of difference there. Talking about racism and being racist are completely different things. So I'm confused as to why this thread seems to be comparing an attempt to discuss racism to actively being misogynistic.

@mildmolasses: I see. I guess my confusion stems from the fact that there have been people who accuse certain games of being misogynistic when they do not explore those themes at all or they don't try to be, so I could see others accusing this game of being racist because it tries to actively explore that theme.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, and if we're talking about the treatment of women being anachronistic to the time period, from what little I have read in one or two pretty much spoiler free reviews, there is plenty of anachronistic stuff going on. I would wait to see if the story sheds some light on the situation, whether through the game proper or the collectibles that Irrational loves to pepper their world with, before saying that this is some big thing.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By StarvingGamer

@ramone said:

He is saying that the actions of a lot of the characters in terms of interacting with people of other races is very much in line with how things probably were 100 years ago, HOWEVER, despite this being right slap bang in the middle of the suffragette movement, there is almost no sexism towards females, in fact other characters see them as equals, which isn't historically accurate.

Ah, I stand corrected. I only skimmed the OP then started reading comments. I am part of the problem.

Back on topic then, I'd imagine that misogyny was not a theme the writers felt like approaching, regardless of how appropriate to the era it may be. I see nothing wrong with that. This isn't historical 1912, this is Ken Levine's 1912 with flying cities and magic crow powers. Expecting then to adhere to every societal norm from the era seems like an unreasonable expectation. Yes, it is a missed opportunity, but I'd rather have writers that want to talk about these things doing so. Forcing someone to shoehorn it in when they aren't adequately equipped to broach the subject would be infinitely worse.

EDIT: In my defense, the title of this thread is EXTREMELY misleading

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#79  Edited By colourful_hippie

That's weird considering the time period, but I'll make my own judgment when I see it for myself.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah it seems a bit asymmetrical but i'm guessing it has more to do with their intent/story telling than actual fear of upsetting people because both racism and misogyny are pretty equally touchy subjects across the board.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Female soldiers in my authentic 1912 period piece video game?

Fuckin' dropped, unsubbed and unfollowed!

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

lmfao @ this thread

Another rousing victory for white nerds discussing social issues on the internet. Way to go, guys. A+ for all of you.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#85 chaser324  Moderator

Holy hell, this thread went off the rails. A lot of these posts are about to disappear, get back on topic or this thread will get locked.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

there arent enough videogames with black protagonists. industry is racist.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#87  Edited By Milkman

As for the actual topic at hand, maybe the story that Irrational wanted to tell didn't involve misogyny? The game isn't a historical simulation (it takes place in a city that's in the sky) so I don't think it needs or wants to be a 100% accurate portrayal of America in the 1910s. Complaining that a game should feature more misogyny is pretty silly, dude. There's no grand conspiracy here.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jillsandwich WHAT DO YOU MEAN EXACTLY BY "GETTING DARK" HUH?????

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After playing a few hours of this I was really surprised how heavy the racism themes are. Even going as far as having Klan members and "PROTECT OUR RACE" signs, every black person has been in filthy rags, and everything has a "pure white race" tone to it. Yet the one thing that stood out is there is zero misogyny. This is a time when both blacks and women were looked down upon yet there are even women soldiers. In 1912?! Considering the city is basically a very extreme christian(let's not kid our self here)/conservative place and full of controversial subjects that they would include that kind of thing too. Is sexism in games THAT touchy that it even takes presedence over other controversial things? It's just something that stuck out to me.

If Ken Levine wanted to explore sexism, he would. And you seem to be ignorant of the fact that there is a difference between a work depicting sexism and a work being sexist. People are getting worked up for the latter, not the former.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The difference is between representing it, and purporting it. Some people think showing sexism = being sexist. Not the case, as any reasonable person would agree.

It isn't the same thing, though I would agree that misogyny is just a hot topic at the moment, but that isn't the reason why. Don't confuse the issues.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

To speak directly to the point instead of attacking the question itself...

I don't think that the early 20th century was defined by misogyny, per se, not in the same sense that blacks were defined by racism. People did not *hate* women, they just saw them as a weaker sex and less able to perform vital tasks than men, except when those vital tasks included cooking, cleaning, and raising the kids. I don't think you'd see posters saying, "Stupid broads, go back where you came from! We dont' want your kind around here!" The only place where that kind of antagonism would exist is in cases where women were pressing for greater rights. So, if there were a women's suffrage movement on Columbia, you could expect there to be some derision poured on the specific women who were a part of that movement.

I say all this without having played Infinite and without having lived in the early 1900s, but are any of Columbia's leaders women? If so, that's where your real anachronism lies.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
    deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#92  Edited By deathstriker666

Shifting the goal posts I see. Well, let me reply with Strawman. Why doesn't Call of Duty have RPG elements and complex characters? Why isn't there any first-person shooting action in Telltale's The Walking Dead? Because they're not those types of games. When you start criticizing a game/book/movie for what it isn't you can never be satisfied. Criticism can only be taken seriously if it is valid.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Maybe not misogyny, but Lollipop Chainsaw had satire that was perceived by some as sexist.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@ramone said:

Yeah, THAT is what I'm talking about.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

lmfao @ this thread

Another rousing victory for white nerds discussing social issues on the internet. Way to go, guys. A+ for all of you.

So only because I am white and male I don' have rights and feelings? Seriously stop trying to judge me because of my color or gender......

And starving gamer where did you go the last lets say 6 months? Almost every game that was made for males and has woman in it is sexist and misogynistic And especially if it does not have a female lead character....

flakmunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This comparison is ridiculous. The racism used in this game, just like all of the political ideals expressed, are there to represent beliefs of the time taken to extremism. The game is trying to paint the height of American Exceptionalism in a satirical, extremist fashion. Unlike the current trend of sexism in games, its not glorified and accepted. You are supposed to feel uncomfortable about the terrible things these people are doing and believe in. The reason sexism in games is a "hot button issue" is because its not painted as an issue or satirized, its simply there as if its an acceptable part of society; which it unfortunately is in our current culture, and that's a huge problem.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This comparison is ridiculous. The racism used in this game, just like all of the political ideals expressed, are there to represent beliefs of the time taken to extremism. The game is trying to paint the height of American Exceptionalism in a satirical, extremist fashion. Unlike the current trend of sexism in games, its not glorified and accepted. You are supposed to feel uncomfortable about the terrible things these people are doing and believe in. The reason sexism in games is a "hot button issue" is because its not painted as an issue or satirized, its simply there as if its an acceptable part of society; which it unfortunately is in our current culture, and that's a huge problem.

Like the stuff Agent 47 did in the trailer or the "rape" scene in Tomb Raider? No one thought it was cool and funnyand it never was represent in such a way. Still these feminists and what ever screamed misogyny and sexism hell even torture porn because according to these people you can not do that to woman. To kill men in brutal ways or to hurt and rape them like in Far Cry 3 is totally ok. But god beware if its a woman.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being ABOUT racism isn't the same thing as being racist. The game isn't being racist. That would be like saying Schindler's List is anti-Semitic because it's about the holocaust. When some people get upset about misogyny in games, it's because they think those games are BEING misogynist (whether you agree is another matter). The difference isn't hard to understand.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Darji

@kerned said:

Being ABOUT racism isn't the same thing as being racist. The game isn't being racist. That would be like saying Schindler's List is anti-Semitic because it's about the holocaust. When some people get upset about misogyny in games, it's because they think those games are BEING misogynist (whether you agree is another matter). The difference isn't hard to understand.

Here is the problem. If the majority does not think like that which is the fact for most of these recent cases why is the minority right and the majority not? Who decides if its right or wrong? Is it misogyny just because some people on twitter said so?

flakmunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@flakmunkey said:

Like the stuff Agent 47 did in the trailer or the "rape" scene in Tomb Raider? No one thought it was cool and funnyand it never was represent in such a way. Still these feminists and what ever screamed misogyny and sexism hell even torture porn because according to these people you can not do that to woman. To kill men in brutal ways or to hurt and rape them like in Far Cry 3 is totally ok. But god beware if its a woman.

I will concede that in those cases, they simply didn't get it and were blowing hot air. I played all of those games and 100% agree that they included no sexism, they were simply telling a story and in no way glorifying the violence against women portrayed. Is this movement sometimes misguided? Absolutely, but that said is sexism a big problem in our culture and, by extension video games? Yes, without a doubt. Video games are definitely the target right now even though the problem exists culturally, but I truly think that wer as gamers are being given a chance to prove that our culture is able to rise above this, and be truly inclusive of everyone. It makes no sense to me that a group of people who stereotypically are "geeks", "nerds", and "outcasts" aren't the first to be be truly accepting of all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.