Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

I hate to be that guy, but, does it get better?

• 73 results
    Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Ares42

@glic2000 said:

Am I the only who who's completely bored with having to loot a container every ten seconds?

Nope, the only reasons I can come up with as for why they have this looting system in the game are just dumb. It's probably the worst example of my general impression of the series, it's a hodgepodge of a bunch of concepts unexceptionally executed.

iGooner7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I just beated the game and it gets WAAAAY BETTER as you move ahead.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I doubt that you hate to be that guy.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@supamon said:

@truthtellah: You have a ton of GIFs at your fingertips just waiting to be used don't you?

ha. I am always prepared, good supamon.

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab263/tvyps/inspectorgadget.gif

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By JasonR86

Whether you like it or not you are that guy.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Played the first two and was extremely bored with both after a few hours of gameplay. Can I expect the same groove with infinite?

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I feel like there are certain people who want to go into game and not like it just so they can be a dick to other people who do.

The Internet, Go figure.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By StrikeALight

I've stepped back in time.

It's 2007, and I'm ready to embrace the future once again.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Mrsignerman44

I've enjoyed it the second I started playing and haven't gotten bored yet. The setting of Columbia had me really intrigued and immersed, I think I spent a good hour or two in the first street areas reading signs, admiring all of the machinery and listening to conversations.

But then again, I really enjoy slow films and games anyway so I guess I'm the target audience for all of the exposition.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait someone has negative feelings towards a well reviewed and loved game? Thats surprising...wait...its Sooty.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#61  Edited By Sooty
    @laserbolts said:

Wait someone has negative feelings towards a well reviewed and loved game? Thats surprising...wait...its Sooty.

The first hour plays like a fairly standard FPS, it picks up a lot about 20 minutes or so into Monument Park. It's pretty great now.

and yeah the container stuff is getting pretty tiring but it did in the first game too, wish they had a better way of doing that stuff.

insouciant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Why didn't they release this for the Wii U too?

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

I think the game gets better, then gets worse, then gets better, then gets worse, then gets better, then a LOT better, and then a LOT worse. And then you go to bed because you've played for 9 hours straight and should have gone to work and oh god what have you done

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty said:
    @laserbolts said:

The first hour plays like a fairly standard FPS, it picks up a lot about 20 minutes or so into Monument Park. It's pretty great now.

and yeah the container stuff is getting pretty tiring but it did in the first game too, wish they had a better way of doing that stuff.

im yet to play it, i will be playing at the weekend.

but everyone i have spoken to that have played the game have said the first hour or so it fucking amazing with a big smile on there gaming faces

guess il have to wait and see!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@yakov456 said:

Played the first two and was extremely bored with both after a few hours of gameplay. Can I expect the same groove with infinite?

It plays exactly like Bioshock right down to that "oh you gotta go out of your way to get this item while an antagonist harrasses you throughout killing waves of splicers revolutionaries and then you backtrack out of the area back to your original goal."

So if the story won't be enough for you, then sadly it does play exactly the same. Jeff really undersold that it had "call backs" - it's literally the reverse of Bioshock in terms of style but a carbon copy in terms of gameplay.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@yakov456 said:

It plays exactly like Bioshock right down to that "oh you gotta go out of your way to get this item while an antagonist harrasses you throughout killing waves of splicers revolutionaries and then you backtrack out of the area back to your original goal."

So if the story won't be enough for you, then sadly it does play exactly the same. Jeff really undersold that it had "call backs" - it's literally the reverse of Bioshock in terms of style but a carbon copy in terms of gameplay.

Hearing that makes me glad I'm not playing it. I hated Bioshock. Thought it was super boring from a gameplay perspective, and the story was completely uninteresting. I hate games that deliver story almost exclusively through audio logs and radio conversations. Unlike a lot of people, I actually enjoy cutscenes, and I think games that tell their story through "atmosphere" like Bioshock is more of a step back. I couldn't care about a single one of the characters. Plus, the whole moral choice thing was totally bunked and meaningless. Due to all this, never even attempted Bioshock 2. I'm glad that other people enjoy it and everything, but I just don't even remotely see it.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Sooty

@bell_end said:

@sooty said:
    @laserbolts said:

im yet to play it, i will be playing at the weekend.

but everyone i have spoken to that have played the game have said the first hour or so it fucking amazing with a big smile on there gaming faces

guess il have to wait and see!

Visually it's a treat, they've put so much effort into the world and it really shows...but the actual game part isn't that great. It's still BioShock which never really excelled at being a shooter, I feel that this being the third entry struggles to let the story and world carry it past that.

I dunno, I'm about 4-5 hours in now and the highlight so far is how good the world looks, the story and gameplay aren't doing anything special, the Elizabeth stuff is a nice twist to the BioShock combat but so far it hasn't really added much.

The combat is what is killing it for me, it's really quite boring but according to the in-game menu there's quite a few weapons I'm yet to discover, same with plasmids. Will see how they mix it up.

and I kind of wish I bought the console version, well I do but I don't (because I got XCOM for free) but the PC version stutters like crazy sometimes. It's weird, you can be looking at a closed door and suddenly the FPS goes to like 10, then back up to 60 when the door opens. WTF? It runs fine on ultra aside from the random stuttering. (not framerate drops, just sudden bouts of stutter)

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#68  Edited By Humanity

@quarters said:

@humanity said:

@yakov456 said:

Hearing that makes me glad I'm not playing it. I hated Bioshock. Thought it was super boring from a gameplay perspective, and the story was completely uninteresting. I hate games that deliver story almost exclusively through audio logs and radio conversations. Unlike a lot of people, I actually enjoy cutscenes, and I think games that tell their story through "atmosphere" like Bioshock is more of a step back. I couldn't care about a single one of the characters. Plus, the whole moral choice thing was totally bunked and meaningless. Due to all this, never even attempted Bioshock 2. I'm glad that other people enjoy it and everything, but I just don't even remotely see it.

I do enjoy first person storytelling in real time but I agree about audio logs. Often times in Infinite I feel like I gotta stop and listen to an audio log before I can go forward for fear of the log overlapping with actual in-game conversations which are a lot more crucial to the story. So whenever I find a log I just stand around like a doofus listening - at least it's better than my own personal pet peeve which are text logs. Dishonored was a great game with an amazing gameworld but so much of the juicy details were hidden in books and text logs and I just don't like reading paragraphs of text in the middle of an action based game.

I also disliked Bioshock's gameplay but found the story really interesting. Infinite is really similar but it does move along a lot better. Enemies are still bullet sponges and don't react to gunfire. After playing many games like Tomb Raider most recently where enemies react accordingly depending where you shoot them, I kept shooting enemies in the legs in Infinite only to realize that you either shoot them in the body or in the head and those are the only two differentiating damage spots. I still find it awkward to shoot things without going to ironsights and clicking in the sticks is not an ideal way of aiming down sights. You still walk around searching trash cans and crates to pick up donuts and apples to replenish your health. At least you have a regenerating shield now alongside static health a-la Halo.

If you can appreciate an interesting story, really fleshed out characters and a beautiful game world in lieu of underwhelming gunplay and somewhat predictable gameplay beats then I think you should give it a shot. Otherwise it probably won't do much for you just like Bioshock.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Quarters

@humanity: I'll probably end up letting it pass, since I didn't enjoy the characters or anything in Bioshock. Though I probably should elaborate by adding that I do enjoy first person "cutscenes", such as in Call of Duty or any other first person game where it's a scripted sequence and you can't move, but it's still in first person. I actually really dug Breakdown for that reason. I realize that people primarily enjoy audio logs/radio conversations because it doesn't break up the gameplay like an actual scripted sequence would, but I'm not that enamored with the game experience that I have to be physically moving around in the game the majority of the time. Which I guess is evident by my MGS4 avatar. :)

But back to Bioshock, I think part of the reason why I don't dig it much is that a cool world isn't enough to interest me. It has to be inhabited by a story/characters to back it up. It's part of the reason why I can't enjoy Lord of the Rings/Hobbit much. Tolkien was great at world building, but the story is straight up lifeless at times.

And yeah, text logs are pretty sucky too. They slow the pace down so much.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Yeah I get what you mean. The combat is pretty boring. Even as someone who took a LONG break off of shooters, I still feel burned out by playing one.

But man this game has a pretty fucking amazing shell around the combat. So I'll try my best to see it through. You should too!

mbkgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder what leads people to play the first hour of a game and then go to a forum thread and post something about it? How did these people play games when there was no Internet or no forums?

This actually made me laugh. I guess people just want to discuss what other people are thinking

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Sooty

@tobbrobb said:

Yeah I get what you mean. The combat is pretty boring. Even as someone who took a LONG break off of shooters, I still feel burned out by playing one.

But man this game has a pretty fucking amazing shell around the combat. So I'll try my best to see it through. You should too!

Mostly I just feel burnt, how this game is scoring so high I don't know.

As a game, the actual gameplay...(important no?) is really boring, I'm starting to really hate the combat because it's so rinse repeat, the worst thing is the combat is just boring. I actually feel the first game was better because traps were more viable (so many melee splicers + big daddy encounters) and I recall less combat overall.

But damn is it one hell of a nicely designed world, that's the strongest part of it. The story is okay, not exactly doing all that much for me as I find Booker to be incredibly dull. (and I'm so tired of hearing this same voice actor...)

I mean really why do so many games use the same voice actors over and over and over and over? It takes me out of it so much. He sounds exactly the same in every game, it's not even acting.

and it's really not helping how atrocious the PC version runs.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By John1912

Honestly after playing through Im kinda disappointed in this game. Too many run of the mill enemies with guns. The City and its side Characters felt kinda faceless overall, esp with changing time lines. Tonics played no part in the story which feels so wrong after being such a core part of the people and fall of Rapture. As well as being the games hook to set it apart from other FPS. The only characters I actually enjoyed were the twins. Everyone else is kinda meh besides Elizabeth.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

@winternet said:

@truthtellah: I don't think that is the case. There are plenty of games out there with slow starts and people play them. And I'm sure Infinite is not that case anyway.

Well, it just depends on how the game is paced for hooking someone. It seems like Bioshock Infinite has maybe a slightly longer time to grab someone than the first moment grasp that was Bioshock 1. It's hard to explain, but I can understand why someone might still need a little time, especially if they haven't gotten to Elizabeth yet.

It was sorta the opposite for me. I found the intro to BioShock to be fairly weak, but was hooked immediately into Infinite. I don't know what it is, but Rapture never clicked with me. People like to talk about how it's this amazing world, but seeing Columbia is the first time I've had that sense of amazement with the world and atmosphere in a BioShock game.

Infinite's pretty awesome, guys.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be perfectly honest, combat-wise the game does start a little slow out of the gate. I wasn't really feeling for a little while but once it clicks, you find your bearings and the environments get a little more involved, it's awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.