Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

Why is Elizabeth a sex object?

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By valrog

I wouldn't mind her cleavage if she didn't look so young.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By Jack268

I think she fits the design of the game.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By zyn
    @CaLe said:

Looks like a normal lady to me. You're just a filthy pervert with a perverted mind.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#104  Edited By benjaebe

@Jack268 said:

I think she fits the design of the game.

This. It fits with the art style and people are looking too far into (or at) things.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#105  Edited By Slaker117

Some people seem to be taking this a bit too hard. It seriously bothers you to see a stylized woman in a video game? Really?

That said, the design does feel a little cheap. Everything about her is a way of saying "protect me". It's a bit overt for my liking, but hey, when have video games ever been about subtly.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By SeanFoster

It's very clearly a highly stylized world, it's steampunk to the extreme, which means over-the-top Victorian style fashions.

Stopnnagging

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Stopnnagging

People serieusly stop youre nagging  about how big her breast are or the size of her eyes. why can't you all be happy about the game? i personnaly love the character. Also if they would tone elizabeth down or made her uglier then you would all be nagging about the fact she looks ugly. if you want some unrealistic breast, lets talk about tombraider then, i see nobody complaining about those. so my point is why should you all care about something like that? Are the people who are offended by that scared maybe that the would need to pauze the game to often to feel the need of masturbating or what?

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#108  Edited By Mayu_Zane

Why don't we just email Ken Levine or the character designer, whoever that may be? I know it's unlikely we'll get an answer, but it's worth a shot.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Stopnnagging:  
    1. Why is your grammar so bad?
    2. Lara Croft's breasts have been discussed extensively, if you weren't aware. There'd be no reason to talk about that presently because the rebooted Lara from the newest Tomb Raider doesn't have an exaggerated chest.
    3. There's no point in being blindly happy about a game while ignoring its shortcomings. I'm sure many of us who have a problem with this will enjoy the game regardless of this rather insignificant part of it.
    4. Your last sentence (" Are the people who are offended by that scared maybe that the would need to pauze the game to often to feel the need of masturbating or what?") really devalues anything you say.
    DEMONOLOGY_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By DEMONOLOGY_24

I think after reading through this thread long enough I can say that it's not that big of a deal besides her chest in not that big at all.( I say c's that's as big as I think they are personally) many game developers do games really badly but this does not look like one of those games not even slightly besides if we let a company like Namco Bandai make these characters then she'd look alot different.
    Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#111  Edited By Liquidus

I don't think she's a sex object in the slightest meaning of the term. Bayonetta is a sex object, Lara Croft is a sex object. Elizabeth isn't there for her looks and sex appeal, she's an integral part of the story and gameplay.  
    @damswedon said:

I'm sick and tired of people moaning over this. Learn what a fucking corset is, what it does and when it was in fashion. Then remember what time period the game is trying to do.

Also, what this guy said. Her outfit is exactly in line with the fashion of the time.
    Stopnnagging

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Stopnnagging
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    @Stopnnagging:  
    1. Why is your grammar so bad?
    2. Lara Croft's breasts have been discussed extensively, if you weren't aware. There'd be no reason to talk about that presently because the rebooted Lara from the newest Tomb Raider doesn't have an exaggerated chest.
    3. There's no point in being blindly happy about a game while ignoring its shortcomings. I'm sure many of us who have a problem with this will enjoy the game regardless of this rather insignificant part of it.
    4. Your last sentence (" Are the people who are offended by that scared maybe that the would need to pauze the game to often to feel the need of masturbating or what?") really devalues anything you say.
    1. Why are you being a smartass?  
    2. No, i didn't , but like you i don't give a **** about  superficial things like that 
    3. So that's allready a shortcoming in youre book? you sir have some high standards 
    4. Why?  coming from one with an avatar of catherine (erotic-adventure videogame) 
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have you seen outfits from that time period? 

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Stopnnagging said: 
    3. So that's allready a shortcoming in youre book? you sir have some high standards   
    You said:   

why can't you all be happy about the game?

Implying that no one should find any fault with this game and we should all be happy about it. Yes, I do consider Elizabeth's design to be a rather small shortcoming but, like I said in a previous comment, it's not because of her boobs.  

@Stopnnagging said:
    4. Why?  coming from one with an avatar of catherine (erotic-adventure videogame) 
    What are you talking about?  

Are the people who are offended by that scared maybe that the would need to pauze the game to often to feel the need of masturbating or what?

Your statement makes it seem that everyone who takes issue with this are offended and are just bothered by it because they'll need to pause the game in order to masturbate. That's pretty fucking stupid.
    chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#115  Edited By chilibean_3

@AssInAss: She isn't...

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Beaudacious

I LOVE BOOBS.

thread.
    Stopnnagging

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Stopnnagging
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    Your statement makes it seem that everyone who takes issue with this are offended and are just bothered by it because they'll need to pause the game in order to masturbate. That's pretty fucking stupid  
    Yeah stupid of you not realizing that statement i made was ment as a joke and not something i really mean.. 
    oooo wait my mistake i forgot to put LoL behind it so you could understand.  
    What i am talking about is the fact that you say : ' really devalues anything' i said by making that joke of masturbating and here is what makes it funny. you have the avatar of the main character in the game catherine (wich is an erotic-adenture game) and you are telling me that it devalues anything i say??? That's as dumb as making a topic about Elizabeth a sex object? with a name like  AssInAss
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#118  Edited By Romination

Some parts are a bit much- big breasts, very little waist, the lips- but big eyes like that are something people have been using for near on a century now to make their characters seem more open and honest. You can immediately feel closer to her as the player because her eyes make her look much more inviting and friendly and emotive.

I think there might be some degree of splicing in the game as well, people trying to get more appealing and whatnot, so who's to say that didn't happen to her?

I don't really like her design, mostly because she always looks cross-eyed.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By soldierg654342

For starters, look up corsets. Second, the fact that you assume that the presence of a pretty lady is the equivalent of objectification says more about you than anything. 

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By CptBedlam

@SoldierG654342 said:

For starters, look up corsets. Second, the fact that you assume that the presence of a pretty lady is the equivalent of objectification says more about you than anything.

Rather the presence of pretty ladies (often exclusively pretty ladies) in nearly every game involving humans says a lot about the industry.

And now you're implying that it's sexist to ask for a non-stereotypical character-design for a change?

Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Loose

And for my next trick I will pull controversy out of thin air!

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Slaker117

@CptBedlam: There's a difference between asking for non-stereotypical character design and calling Elizabeth a sex object. Having a pretty lady in a video game is cliche, but unless she exists for the sole purpose of being sexual, she is not a sex object, as the thread's title states. To think that you can't have an attractive female without her being an empty sex fantasy implies a poorly adjusted mindset.

J0n3s1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By J0n3s1

It's probably just to attract attention of male gamers, like the game didn't get enough of it without having a lead female character having huge tits..

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#124  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    @Slaker117 said:

@CptBedlam: There's a difference between asking for non-stereotypical character design and calling Elizabeth a sex object. Having a pretty lady in a video game is cliche, but unless she exists for the sole purpose of being sexual, she is not a sex object, as the thread's title states. To think that you can't have an attractive female without her being an empty sex fantasy implies a poorly adjusted mindset.

Hit the nail on the head.
    Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#125  Edited By MachoFantastico

Your over-thinking it mate.

Actually fascinated by the character of Elizabeth, all mysterious and everything.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By soldierg654342
    @CptBedlam: No, I'm saying that it's (perhaps latent) sexism to assume that just because a lady in a game is pretty that she is there solely to be objectified. The game has not been released and we know little about the story beats and character arcs. You can't claim she's just a sex object because we know almost nothing about her save for her appearance. This has nothing to do with embracing or denouncing stereotypes, this is about making assumptions. 
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By CptBedlam

@Slaker117: It was just a provocative way of asking "why is her gender unnessecarily pronounced to a degree that rivals Soul Calibur or Dead or Alive games?"

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By LiquidPrince

Hot?

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Slaker117

@CptBedlam: Then it was poorly phrased.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By CptBedlam

@Slaker117 said:

@CptBedlam: Then it was poorly phrased.

The title begs for attention just like Elizabeth's boobs. Mission accomplished.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By FateOfNever

Clearly women just shouldn't be portrayed in video games, ever.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#132  Edited By toowalrus

@LiquidPrince said:

Hot?

Yes. Sex objects are hot.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Aetheldod

Wha???? Boobs on videogames???? Outrageous!!!!!

mr_faraday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#134  Edited By mr_faraday

Her breasts aren't even big, corsets are designed to make small breasts look big. It probably wasnt even her choice to wear that in the first place, its likely all she had to wear being held hostage and all.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#135  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

For a character to have overt sexuality as a part of their personality and appearance, and for a character to be a sex object are two different things. If a character is almost entirely defined by their sexual appeal then they're a sex object, but if a character with a sexualized appearance or attitude shows a reasonable degree of human behaviour and emotion, then they're just a character who happens to have overt sexuality as part of their personality. I'm not saying that sexualisation of women isn't a serious issue in modern video games but how do we know Elizabeth is a sex object and not a well-rounded and interesting character who just also has large breasts and a corset? I mean there seems to be a lot of potential with her character, Irrational have a good track record with Bioshock characters and her dialogue in the trailers has seemed at least adequate. I understand that her appearance makes it harder for you to consider her a serious character but how about we hold out and see what kind of a character she really is before labelling her a sex object?

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#136  Edited By EpicSteve

So what you're saying is that you're anti-boobs?

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By dragonzord

I feel bad for the large chested women of the world who are being oppressed by you people

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By hoossy

I don't see the problem.  I think most girls would rather see other pretty girls than butt fugly ones... 

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By SlasherMan
    @CptBedlam said:

@Slaker117: It was just a provocative way of asking "why is her gender unnessecarily pronounced to a degree that rivals Soul Calibur or Dead or Alive games?"

And you've just discredited yourself and invalidated every argument you've made thus far. 
    If Elizabeth's appearance, to you, rivals the likes of Ivy's and Tina Armstrong's then surely that says quite a bit about you, doesn't it?
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By onarum

"Why is Elizabeth a sex object?"

Why not?
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By LiquidPrince

I like my sexy girls in games to be sexy so I have no problems with this. Say what you will about me.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Sooty

Because Japan.

Oh wait.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always thought she was a cool and interesting character. I do remember thinking that her breasts were unusually large when I first saw her, then I realized she was wearing a corset and it never bothered me again.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#144  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@Ragdrazi: A decent bit, but I honestly don't think "casual" games make women feel part of the same industry at all, because, really, they aren't... Casual games just give women yet another division. And honestly, I think a decent portion of the issue is just that women aren't into the same shit. Take out the huge tits swinging around like Jello filled hammocks, and exploitation of sexuality, and you still have a testosterone driven industry. Big guns, big cars, big explosions. While women can still enjoy these games, ultimately a game like Gears of War, which doesn't really use sex appeal at all, is still going to attract a far larger male audience then female audience. Even without pre-conceived notions and huge tits, women generally aren't into video games. Maybe a big part of that is their inability to interface in as abstract a way as using a joystick to look around, maybe it's the tits and the leggy women, but give a girl Half Life 2, which is relatively lacking in testosterone implants and in fact has one of the least exploited female characters a video game has ever seen, and she still won't jump on that like it's Bejewled 3, or even Portal 2. I mean, I want the objectification of women to stop in video games. I find these women with massive rotating tits to be frankly off-putting, and would much rather see characters like Alyx or the girl from Enslaved or Heavenly Sword. Attractive, yes. Exploited for sex? Hardly. That's not to say I don't get a kick out of things like the sex minigames in God of War, but that's more because A) it's so self aware and B) because it just fits that character.

Could it be that ladies just generally like different things than us men? Would you also say that Oxygen needs to put more gunfights and explosions in their movies about spouse abuse? There is a market for women gamers, but I don't think that women are going to just flood the industry as soon as tits go away and they feel more welcomed. I mean, I know plenty of girls who love games despite all the tits and violence and testosterone. Gamer girls are out there, but I don't think that number will grow much until we start making more serious but less shooty/hacky/slashy games. Games like Portal seem to be the sweet spot between Casual games and hardcore games that women will have a real interest in.

I am more concerned about my own feelings for the huge tits in games than for women, and I do very much hope that the industry mostly grows out of it (Japan, I'm fuckin lookin at you). A little maturity can go a long way alongside sexuality.

@CaLe said:

Looks like a normal lady to me. You're just a filthy pervert with a perverted mind.

This, mostly. I see her as a pretty lady, not a sexy lady.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By CptBedlam

@SlasherMan said:

@CptBedlam said:

And you've just discredited yourself and invalidated every argument you've made thus far. If Elizabeth's appearance, to you, rivals the likes of Ivy's and Tina Armstrong's then surely that says quite a bit about you, doesn't it

Man am I sick of the "what does that say about you" comments. I tell you what it says: it says I know these games consist of more than the one girl with the biggest tits. Elizabeth's boobies are easily bigger than the boobs of most of Soul Caliburs female cast - even if they are not quite Ivy's size.

A little reminder for you, that's also SC: http://ui17.gamespot.com/368/taki01_2.jpg

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @hoossy said:
    I don't see the problem.  I think most girls would rather see other pretty girls than butt fugly ones... 
    We're not talking about girls, though... Are we?
    laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By laserbolts

This is absolute nonsense.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Galiant said:

@AssInAss: I'm more interested in why someone called "AssInAss" would find Elizabeth's looks disturbing.

Because he's an ass man, not a boobs guy.
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By SlasherMan
    @CptBedlam said:

@SlasherMan said:

@CptBedlam said:

And you've just discredited yourself and invalidated every argument you've made thus far. If Elizabeth's appearance, to you, rivals the likes of Ivy's and Tina Armstrong's then surely that says quite a bit about you, doesn't it

Man am I sick of the "what does that say about you" comments. I tell you what it says: it says I know these games consist of more than the one girl with the biggest tits. Elizabeth's boobies are easily bigger than the boobs of most of Soul Caliburs female cast - even if they are not quite Ivy's size.

A little reminder for you, that's also SC: http://ui17.gamespot.com/368/taki01_2.jpg

Poor eyesight it is, then.
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#150  Edited By Kyreo

I've heard the argument in favor of her... cleavage along the lines of "It's fits with the times." It's kind of lame, but I can appreciate it. I can deal with it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.