Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bloodborne

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 24, 2015

An action role playing game by FromSoftware, marking the studio's debut on the PlayStation 4. It shares creative roots, as well as gameplay elements, with the Souls series.

The character movement in Bloodborne is horrible.

• 51 results
    Venekor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

How is no one talking about it? The character doesn't stay in the center of the camera, he can move slightly independent of it and it puts me off. It just breaks the illusion that you're in control and makes it feel like you're fighting the character to do what you want, I just hate it, it makes the camera super annoying as well and ERUGH...

Final Fantasy 13 did the same thing, but they did massive over the top strides as well which make it even worse. In fact a lot of Japanese games do this, I dunno why they cannot get a handle of it? It should be so simple, but instead they makes their games control like crap. They end up feeling very disconnected and weightless.. so hard to describe but...

I don't get the praise.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I think this has always been a thing in the Souls games, if I've understood you correctly. It's one of those things that either bothers you or it doesn't, I guess. I'd never really noticed it before (and I don't recall noticing it playing through FFXIII either) so I suppose it's just something that affects certain people. I suspect no-one's mentioned it because it isn't new to the series.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Praise? What praise? The game isn't even out in most parts of the world, let alone anyone is already praising it.

Anyways, I haven't played it yet, still 11 hours to go for me. But from what I've heard, it's again pretty clunky in its design like Dark Souls was. I guess we'll have to wait for a non-Miyazaki team to create Bloodborne 2 that plays better, while we get to enjoy a good world in this one.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

interested in OP's experience with past souls games'

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can see where you're coming from, but keep playing! You'll adjust.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was like that in the souls games. Whenever I go back to them I feel uncomfortable about it for like 5 minutes, then I forget all about it. Try not to focus on it.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I'm jealous that you can apparently play the game.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Here's a weird thing, but it may just work for you:

When I first played Dark Souls, the controls felt terribly off. I finally discovered that inverting the horizontal axis helped immensely, even though I never invert my controls.

This did lead to me inverting the horizontal on every third person game for a while, but (and here's what's even weirder) after a few months, the inversion suddenly felt weird and I went back to normal, which now felt fine.

It's a long shot, but give it a try.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By RonGalaxy

What's not to get? People like something that you don't? I wouldn't normally be questioning this, but comments like "I don't get the praise" rub me the wrong way.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just get used to it.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rongalaxy: yeah, same with "overrated". They're stupid things to say about games.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is easily the best controlling Souls games so I have no idea what you're talking about.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The controls feel fine to me. Then again I didn't play any other 'Souls' games besides a few hours of Dark Souls 2 (Couldn't deal with how bad the frame-rate was on PS3).

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fine, chill out with the hyperbole.

rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

Praise? What praise? The game isn't even out in most parts of the world, let alone anyone is already praising it.

Anyways, I haven't played it yet, still 11 hours to go for me. But from what I've heard, it's again pretty clunky in its design like Dark Souls was. I guess we'll have to wait for a non-Miyazaki team to create Bloodborne 2 that plays better, while we get to enjoy a good world in this one.

Did you miss the reviews or something? That's obviously what he's talking about...it has a 93 on meta

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, charged language. My favorite kind of language when debating something online.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

No one's talking about it because it feels like the other games?

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By HH

you ever flip out about something on the day of a release because you're all worked up and one or two things are not what you're used to? you ever keep playing and realize it's not such a big deal? happens to me sometimes.

Avatar image for johnsonvillebratwurst
    JohnsonvilleBratwurst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

git gud scrub

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't beat the first boss for the life of me.

And I beat every Souls game so far.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rangers517: Yes, I'm not reading the reviews. They don't matter. I listen to what people are saying about the game and haven't seen any praise yet. General consensus still needs to form.

FranticRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge: I did the exact same thing. It was super weird, and I still to this day have no idea why it worked.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

@rangers517: Yes, I'm not reading the reviews. They don't matter. I listen to what people are saying about the game and haven't seen any praise yet. General consensus still needs to form.

Umm, it's fine that you don't care about reviews but I'd say they qualify as a form of praise. Irregardless of what some might think reviewers are still people. There have also been quite a few very positive early impressions by those who managed to grab an early copy. General consensus is generally a weird concept especially when it comes to the Souls games since there are a lot of people who will tell you that those games are terrible.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
    militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@rafaelfc: You can stun him for a "visceral attack" when you attack his head with a firearm. If you perform a successful riposte, it takes a little while for you to be able to do it again -- he has to regenerate or something. The blunderbuss is kind of inaccurate so it might be tricky pull off. Alternatively you can throw oil and then molotov bombs at him, which will again stun him and you'll be able to follow that up with a riposte.

As for the OP, I'm not quite sure what you're referring to, but maybe decreasing the camera sensitivity can help? I mean, it felt too shaky and was giving me a headache, but since I decreased it, the gameplay felt a whole lot better.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I never noticed this in FFXIII nor the previous Souls games. I like how this is enough to invalidate the good will of everyone.

howardee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By howardee

Angry OP: This is my first Souls game. I've only played a few hours and I don't like it so now I have to create a topic complaining about how terrible I think the game is. I know the Souls games have a huge following of loyal fans so I'm going to go out of my way to use charged language, that'll get a rise out of them. I just can't understand how anyone could actually praise this game, seeing as I don't like it. I'm not a troll, honest. All of my opinions are fact.

Angry Souls fans: What?! Someone doesn't like a Souls game? They have a different opinion to us? Light the torches. Grab the pitchforks, halberds and giant hammers. Ready your most patronising insults. Let's all band together to tear this idiot a new one. All our opinions are fact, too.

Angry Souls not-fans: Here comes the Souls entourage! Look at these assholes, tearing into OP like that. What a bunch of douchebags. Why don't you play good games, douchebags? Our opinions are also fact.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I have no idea what you are talking about OP.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

Do you know what reviews are

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

Do you know what reviews are

If you followed the discussion you'd know my answer to that, my friend.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: what you're saying is still false though. the game has plenty of praise. just because the reviews don't matter to you for some reason, doesn't mean the game doesn't have praise. Journalists love it. Unless you believe every single one of them was paid off and/or lying

SirFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wtf are you talking about.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulmako said:

@johnsonvillebratwurst said:

git gud scrub

This is the perfect response to this topic.

No it's the typical Souls fanboy childish response. Continuing the fine tradition of being the worst fans in gaming.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kishinfoulux: but why though? It's kind of true. Majority of the complaints about the souls games basically amount to it not being a hand holding simulator.

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Getting back to the OP: I can't make out what they are talking about. Do they mean that the player character is over animated when they move? Or do they mean that the character has very active idle animations?

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I'm about 5 hours in. Character movement feels fine to me. In fact, here's a snap judgement: The opening hours of this game are better than those of any other Souls game.

My only problem with the game so far is that the load times are a bit much. But they say they're patching that, so that's cool.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know what you're talking about, but I don't remember seeing that when I was playing today. Maybe it just seemed more natural and I didn't notice it.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The movement in this game is off versus the other souls games for two reasons. 1: If you lock on your side roll is now a side step instead of a legit dodge roll to the side. This pisses me off. 2: The camera tries to "smart" detect wall issues and prevent itself from blocking view of your character. As a result sometimes the camera can do some fairly weird jerking/yanking.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Zevvion

@karkarov said:

The movement in this game is off versus the other souls games for two reasons. 1: If you lock on your side roll is now a side step instead of a legit dodge roll to the side. This pisses me off. 2: The camera tries to "smart" detect wall issues and prevent itself from blocking view of your character. As a result sometimes the camera can do some fairly weird jerking/yanking.

Number 1: Okay. But the side step still seems to have iframes. In addition it is much quicker. I guess you can dislike it, but doesn't seem like poor movement to me.

Number 2: No. Listen, we can agree that the camera is not great, but have you played Dark Souls? The camera was godawful in that game. I'll grant you it was better in DSII, but since this is the DS team as far as I know, it's not any worse.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is easily the best controlling Souls games so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Without a doubt.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

Number 2: No. Listen, we can agree that the camera is not great, but have you played Dark Souls? The camera was godawful in that game. I'll grant you it was better in DSII, but since this is the DS team as far as I know, it's not any worse.

I am not saying the camera is better or worse than the other games in this respect. Just different. For those who hate that bit you can actually turn it off.

JRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@howardee: lmao, yup! Pretty much sums it up.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Belegorm

Feels like a Souls game. Felt really weird at first, far more than DS2 felt early on, but after a few hours playing I've felt pretty much at home. Pretty much feels like the time I attempted to play DS2 with a parrying dagger in my left hand - get far more used to dodging things, parrying just about everything you can, and playing on the edge of a knife where if you fail to dodge, you lose (definitely more gentle here, you're not automatically dead if you fail to dodge). Stun timing with the gun seems to be pretty much the same as parrying in Dark Souls, only the window is wider.

In some ways I do kind of miss the slow-paced, methodical defensive play that you could always fall back on in Dark Souls. The methodical, faster paced, aggressive play in Bloodborne works on mobs you can get a grasp on well (usually the weapon toting humanoids mobs), but on crazier mobs you end up resorting to dodging all over the place. Whereas in Dark Souls you'd end up just tanking everything with a tower shield while you figured it out.

Substance_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Managed to beat the first two bosses, yay! Now i'm playing with power!

And forgot to mention earlier there's nothing wrong with the movement OP.

The dodge works differently and takes some getting used to but it's fine the way it is.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@altairre: I agree with you, however irregardless is not a word.

OP, instead of fighting the controls and wishing they were something they're not, try accepting that the game controls differently than what you are used to and try to adapt to it with zeal,knowing that you are esentailly mastering a new skill.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.