Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands 3

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Sep 13, 2019

Return to the Borderlands as one of a new team of Vault Hunters to stop a crazed, live-streaming cult known as The Children of the Vault spreading like an interstellar plague.

Bordelands 3 Officially Announced

• 69 results
    Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@humanity: I am one of those people who wants more of the same, I'll try break it down.

I've hundreds of hours of Borderlands 1 and 2 played, including all the DLC, several times over. We played the Pre-Sequel but not nearly for as long, because the market started to go in other directions and we wanted to try some other stuff out. It's Diablo-with-guns. It's a game me and three other friends would sit down once a week and play hours of, running through the same levels and bosses over and over in search of better guns and leveling up our characters.

I already like the gameplay. I already like the leveling system. The story has been told to me so many times that we just kind of skip over it and it may as well not be there anymore (just like Diablo 3).

So why is it a bit of fresh air? Because there's nothing like it out there right now. It's been 7 years since Borderlands 2 and 5 years since Pre-Sequel. And in space of it, other games that have been appointed "loot shooters" have done either intentionally or not an incredibly bad job of capturing what a Diablo-with-guns game should be.

Borderlands never tried to make itself seem like a job the way games like Destiny do. If I don't sign into Destiny daily or weekly I'm missing out on things. It never made me feel like I "needed" to play it for an hour to keep up, instead I only played it when I actually wanted to play it. I have absolutely loaded up Destiny before in order to bang out the daily quests, felt like it was doing chores and then shut the game down and then did the same thing the next day.

Even Warframe, a game I enjoy very much, can sometimes make itself feel like unless you're logging in daily you're missing out. It has a daily reward tracker and there are items you can only get on it for logging into the game for 500+ days. You're literally making it take longer to get those items for every day you don't play that game.

If I could have Borderlands 3 take one thing from other video games, it'd be to take the concept of rifts from Diablo 3. Where it generates a random dungeon from a random tile set and fills it with random enemies that when you kill enough of summons a random boss that when you kill will drop random loot.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By Vextroid

Looks like they are acknowledging Tales From the Borderlands so that's pretty cool. Here's hoping they also take the quality of writing and humor from that game too.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

... shlooter.

@fugoy said:

... shlooters .

Please. No. Just.... No.

I watched that reveal show live yesterday and, as huuuge a Borderlands fan as I am, even I was all "Get on with the reveal already Randy!"

Then when it came to the big moment I have to say I was kind of conflicted...
    The CONTENT of the trailer had me all "WooohoooooOoO" but the fact that even the release trailer had "serious frame-rate issues at launch" has led me to temper my expectations accordingly.

Who am I kidding!?! Those sectors of my PS4 hard drive are already reserved.

BaconHound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish: Well put.

I am incredibly excited for more Borderlands. I don't need character customization, flashy photo-realistic graphics, or any of the other things that some folks seem worked up about. Just give me some new environments, a new campaign, and plenty of new guns, and I will be absolutely delighted.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By MezZa

I'm happy with what we've seen so far. It's been 7 years since the last borderlands game I played fully (tried TPS and wasnt a huge fan) so i dont need some huge changes to wow me. At this point if they make a loot fps that puts the loot and fun first over trying to make some "epic" decade long commitment of a game that just winds up being wait a year or two until the game actually gets better I'll be happy.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't watch or listen to a lot of bombcasts or quick looks, but I thought the crew, especially Jeff really liked Borderlands, so why would they hate it? Eh, I don't know. Anyways, I'm pretty excited. I didn't like Borderlands 1 at the time of its release. I found it to be a pretty boring game; two was better for the hours I played once the remaster came out, but I lost interest after a while. It wasn't until last year that I wanted to play the Telltale game but wanted to finish what came before, before jumping into it.

I was surprised by the variety of environments, enemy types, how fun the guns were to use as well as how much story there was and how much I actually cared about it. It's also pretty funny and charming to me. So it turned out that I actually enjoyed them a lot, and in an ironic turn of events, the reason I wanted to play it, which is the Telltale game, was my least favorite Borderlands experience. It was okay, but I liked the main games a lot more. So yeah, definitely excited for three.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: The last time they brought it up which was recently enough, they made it sound like if Borderlands didn't change to suit the current market and just launched itself as more of the same old Borderlands then they couldn't see it being very good or interesting them.

They also really dislike the writing and the characters and pretty much will dunk on Claptrap at any opportunity.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man I hope they hired all the Telltale employees who helped write Tales from Borderlands.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@burncoat: Getting the writers from Tales from the Borderlands involved would be amazing. That game nailed everything about Borderlands that wasn’t gameplay. Music, writing, world-building, etc. It was superb.

If they found a way to get that take mixed with the traditional gameplay, it’d be amazing. These games being so content heavy, I do worry that the pacing would be next to impossible to nail. Maybe the game could be broken up into MOSTLY self-contained narrative chapters?

Cool food for thought...

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish: Yeah, I think GaaS (Games as a Service) is fine on paper, but it usually results in INSANE engagment traps that turn them into GaaJ (Games as a Job).

I have neither the time nor desire for one of my many hobbies to become a job, so once I get a whiff of that, I disengage.

I think I/O handles that pretty well with Hitman. It’s a lot easier to ignore a bunch of elusive targets and not have peer pressure and this feeling of falling behind and disengaging if you’re not constantly griding the same content over and over and over again.

I think that grind is almost inevitable. The developers want folks to stay engaged and spend stupid amounts of money on skins and expansions. If I fall of, I was never close to a whale anyhow.

It reminds me of the first time I saw all those gun skins in Gears of War (Gears 3, I think...). I just thought that this is such cheap labor and that the buy rate could be very low and they’d still make a killing...it’s hard to turn that free money down on these huge investments...

Anyhow, give me a game that stays static. Put out an expansion. I miss those days. They’re largely gone and I can’t see the financial situation that would bring about their return. It’s old methodology...

echasketchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I like what we've seen so far, it indicates that they aren't making big changes. People seem to keep saying that shlooters have moved on since Borderlands, but I kinda hate the trajectory they took since then. I just want a game to play through with a few friends that isn't a live service scam filled with microtransactions and all that garbage. Borderlands 2 was still great when I got around to it in 2015, they don't need to chase trends.

Releasing a game that is finished when it comes out, followed by some expansions is a rarity these days for a multiplayer game. More of the same with new planets, new skills and characters, and a lot of new guns is all I want.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has been a long time since we had BL2. It's going to be hard for Gear Box to bring the formula back and i hope they do.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter: Yeah with IO and Hitman it's just a fun reason to check in every once in a while. I'm not falling behind in progress or trying to get a light level up by forgetting to do an ET.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#65  Edited By Humanity

@jesus_phish: As far as games as a second job is concerned I completely agree with you. I enjoyed Destiny up to a point where it became a necessity to log in daily and sometimes do a lot of tedious things in order to keep your head above water and potentially get to the funner stuff down the road. I don't want that and I do think what Borderlands did originally was a much purer and distilled idea. Thats also because that was a long time ago and those sort of shooters were very simple. Not everything about modern loot driven games is bad, and I think a lot of people in this thread are operating from the perspective that any change in the formula in Borderlands is automatically going to stray into the bad direction. As has been mentioned above, if this is going to be another Borderlands with a static town, NPC's rooted in spot and a bunch of linear levels without much to them then I don't know if more of that sort of same is a great idea. Shooters have evolved like Doom or from what I've seen the upcoming Rage 2 where mobility and level design play hand in hand to bring a fun and fluid experience which isn't the standard corridor shooter. If I'm dumping into enemies that barely flinch and the entire novelty is that my gun plays a trumpet sound every 10 bullets then I dunno, 7 years is a long time to wait for that.

But hey I hope it turns out good because I enjoyed the first two games. I never got the pre-sequel because I felt series fatigue even back then, so we will see.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish: I’ve tried and succeeded at exactly one elusive target. I think they’re cool as hell, and would like to see less restrictions on playing them, but you’re exactly right, it’s a fun bonus.

Games have gone from fun to a weird sort of unpaid labor. The treadmill is naked, for all to see, and we ask for more of it. I really don’t get it.

But, hey, there are still plenty of great games without those hooks. Hopefully there’s always a segment that avoids making games something you work towards and makes them a place to relax and have some fun.

Avatar image for cursethesemetalhands
    CurseTheseMetalHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it has the same busted loot system as Borderlands 2, an equal or greater amount of Tiny Tina, and the inclusion of dances for the scumfucks who demand such things (unless they troll those people by offer dances as microtransaction DLC and charge $99.99 per dance), then I'll pass. Otherwise, while I'd love to see them improve on the formula, I'd be fine with 'just' more Borderlands, though maybe not nearly as excited as I'd like to be.

While I'd be seriously disappointed in Gearbox if they made a Borderlands Battle Royale, I'd be fine with it as DLC. It can be the shitty Mad Moxxi DLC that I don't buy (or get but never play with the Game of the Year Edition).

Actual character creation, not merely customization, would be certainly be welcomed, but if they aren't going to go all the way with it - the inclusion of voice options with different line reads (if Saints Row could do it all those years ago, why the hell can't anyone else?) to give your character at least some touch of personality, a fair number of cutscenes that actually include your character and show off the abomination you've wrought, etc. - then there's really no reason to bother.

I'm cautiously optimistic and hope we'll learn more at E3.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By ripelivejam

I feel a tinge bad for them that the only thing they really seem to get right is Borderlands. But I'm down for it irregardless.

Can't wait to shloot all over everyone.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really think this could be a game to drag all my mates together to play through. Although I don't remember how the multiplayer worked in 2, with regards to progress being made etc.

I really hope there is lots of claptrap dancing to dubstep. I hope there is an appearance from Tiny Tina. I would love something like the Tiny Tina DLC they did for 2, which was utterly fantastic.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The trailer was kinda unexciting, but it's cool to see all the old characters around in some capacity. Gotta get around to playing Tales from the Borderland. Environments look cool! That one big robot class looks awesome (visually at least; not sure I'll wanna play a pet class), as well as the siren character. Apparently the dude has holograms like Zer0? So I might have to roll with that, given that Zer0 is the only class in all of these games I actually really really loved to play.

Looks good though!

First Person Lhooter

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.