Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Braid

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Aug 06, 2008

Manipulate time to complete puzzles in this 2D platform game made by indie developer Jonathan Blow.

Which Braid puzzle kicked your ass the most?

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 52

#1  Edited By tearhead

EDIT: Forgot to put SPOILERS in the title... but yea... SPOILERS!!!!

*SPOILERS*

So I finished the PC version of Braid yesterday, and while that was definitely one of my favourite games of all time, I think we can all agree there were some puzzles in that game that as you opened that door and saw what was going on in it you were like "WTF, Braid...", and there were a couple that drove me insane!

The puzzle that kicked my ass the most was that second "Hunt!" room where the enemies only moved when you did. If you went forward, they did, if you went back they re-winded. It took me so long to figure that puzzle out, I broke it down to a science, and when I when I was down to the last two, it took me forever to realize I had to double jump on that second to last enemy.

What about you guys? Which Braid puzzle (if any) kicked you ass the most?

Also a notable mention to that puzzle where you had to jump on that ladder while it fell to get that puzzle piece (the one where you had the ring that made a time bubble). That also made me curse a lot at my screen.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By mracoon

Mine was the 'Fickle Companion' level (4 -7). It was so frustrating because every time you moved right the key fell back to the bottom level or left your hand. Overall I didn't have too many problems but that one gave me a real headache.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    mracoon said:
    "Mine was the 'Fickle Companion' level (4 -7). It was so frustrating because every time you moved right the key fell back to the bottom level or left your hand. Overall I didn't have too many problems but that one gave me a real headache."
    This was the second worst for me.  The absolute worst was the one where you had to stand where the enemy would fall, then rewind so that the enemy bounces off the head of your shadow and you can then jump on that enemy to reach a puzzle piece that was up much higher than you could normally jump.  I'm not even sure if I'm describing it very well, but it drove me nuts.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By RHCPfan24
    mracoon said:
    "Mine was the 'Fickle Companion' level (4 -7). It was so frustrating because every time you moved right the key fell back to the bottom level or left your hand. Overall I didn't have too many problems but that one gave me a real headache."
    I honestly don't remember individual puzzles but that one was a frustrating one I remember. They all got pretty maddening in the end, to tell the truth.
    Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Snipzor

When trying to collect that "extra something" in Fickle Companion, I was driven insane until I finally got it. Best mindfark in Braid, easily.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Binman88

I just finished it today and think some of the gold ring, time-slowing-bubble ones were the most troublesome for me. Them and the shadow ones. Sorry I'm being vague, I can't remember the name of the specific puzzles.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187

The one where Soulja Boy gave the most accurate and amazing review of the game ever.

I wonder how Jeff's new websites are doing...
    Slunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Slunks

I'm pretty sure most of the stuff in World 6 was killer. For instance, having the Goomba jump on your shadow's head, then jumping on the goomba in air -- that one was rough.

This is a hard question to answer, because there were so many puzzles that had me sitting there for at least twenty minutes.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheGreatGuero

There were 3 I needed to use a guide for. One involved that world where moving forward would make the enemies move, and backwards would make them rewind, and this particular puzzle had something to do with a key that I think you had to make go through doors, and you had to have one of those goomba-wannabe guys carry it for you or something. Another is the one where you made a shadow version of yourself. In that one, you had to let the enemy drop on your head, then reverse it so it bounces on your shadow's head instead and then you jump on the enemy's head to get extra height for the puzzle piece. The third one was that long one in that final world where you had that sphere that slowed things down. This one had a bunch of cannons shooting at you. I was stuck on one small part in that which gave me one heck of a time.

RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By RagingLion

Just finished Braid PC myself (had been waiting ages to play it).  I actually used a walkthrough for my last 2 puzzle pieces.  One was this one:

"mracoon said: ...The absolute worst was the one where you had to stand where the enemy would fall, then rewind so that the enemy bounces off the head of your shadow and you can then jump on that enemy to reach a puzzle piece that was up much higher than you could normally jump.  I'm not even sure if I'm describing it very well, but it drove me nuts."
    I just didn't figure out to do that at all.  Was thinking I could somehow get 2 goombas spawned at once for a double jump if I did something clever with my shadow.  The other was in World 6 (with the ring), level 4 I think?   where you have to flick a lever to lift a platform so you can jump down onto the puzzle piece.  But you have to run down a corridor with fireballs which is fine going into it but not going out.  Put the ring underneath the cannon wick and only just couldn't make it.  In the end you had to allow a goomba to get down to ground level to jump on its head and then you could place the ring on the cannon.  I think I actually tried that as throw-away idea earlier but just assumed the jump wasn't makeable.  Since it was my last piece I used the walkthrough since I just wanted to see the ending by theat stage.

And the ending didn't disappoint.  Quite a twist - it felt like lots of strands of ideas and clues that had run through the rest of the game finally came together, but it took the ending and the epilogue to go back and understand them.
    HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HazBazz

Fickle Companion and Hunt 2 are both indeed fucked up

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jmrwacko

Fickle Companion and Hunt 2 were also my last 2 pieces. I think those puzzles were so challenging because they are misleadingly simple-looking - just climb a ladder and kill 6 goombas - but in actuality they are very complex, and it takes a lot of unconventional thinking to figure out the tricks behind solving them.

fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fuzzyponken

The very last piece for me was in the shadow world where there were two doors with one key and a goomba to mislead you. You had to jump from the ledge, rewind time mid jump and have your shadow complete the jump, basically sliding into the door upon landing. I didn't even figure that one out, I just did it by mistake while jumping around all frustrated and thought "No way that's how you're supposed to solve it, that's too stupid", looked it up and sure enough, that was it.   

I also spent alot of time with the one with the two green glowing platforms that moves around and the ladder you're supposed to slow down while it's falling. It's just so fucking complicated, still to this day I have problems with it, even though I've done it many times by now. 

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By GunstarRed

it was the one where you had to guide two of those lionface things through a bunch of them chompy flowers... the puzzle itself isn't hard ... it is just the doing of it that is. 

it was in the top right of one level.. not sure which obe it was
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By mordukai

Not to toot my own horn but I don't think I found just one single puzzle I had a problem with. There were ones that were difficult but not because there were hard to figure out but because you need perfect timing to execute the moves. I had a better and harder time finding all the damn stars, especially the one... 

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EVO
    @SpaceInsomniac said:
    " The absolute worst was the one where you had to stand where the enemy would fall, then rewind so that the enemy bounces off the head of your shadow and you can then jump on that enemy to reach a puzzle piece that was up much higher than you could normally jump.  I'm not even sure if I'm describing it very well, but it drove me nuts. "
    This.

Only puzzle in the game that made me resort to a guide.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.