Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Brink

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 10, 2011

A multiplayer-focused, class-based first-person shooter running on id Tech 4, in which oppressive soldiers and anarchistic terrorists battle for the few remaining resources on a failed paradise known as the Ark.

Who was pumped for this game before the quick look?

• 62 results
    JJGIANT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By JJGIANT

From the little bits and pieces I saw of this game before the quick look Brink appeared to be an innovative breath of fresh air in a cramped maket. After watching the quick look this changed completely. Same for anyone else, yes or no.
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Getz

Pumped before, still pumped after. Played for an hour today, seems pretty good. It's not blowing my mind, but it's refreshing for a console FPS. I have disagreed with Jeff on many games in the past, and I tend not to let my purchasing be influenced by his sole opinion.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By BonOrbitz

I wasn't pumped about the game before the QL because the previews made it seem so generic to me. I haven't watched  the QL yet, but am interested (especially after glancing at IGN's review.)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1e236944295
    deactivated-5a1e236944295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Fo' sheezy.  I was super--excited to watch the quick look, but then Jeff said something along the lines of "this game isn't very good," and I immediately became bummed.  I was considerably more bummed  when I got to the end of the video.  It really is a shame, 'cause the game had a great aesthetic, and the "game" part just didn't pan out that well.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By SlightConfuse

The quick look was the first time i saw the game in action. I think i saw a video in gamestop for it a year ago. The game was so under the radar

Seems to be average but not worth a full 60$

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HandsomeDead

Who was the guy looking at Brink going 'Man, I could really do with an team objective based mulitplayer focused first person shooter! There's literally no other options on the market.' I don't get the hype around any of this.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By BeachThunder

I guess you could say I was pumped six months ago. However, that feeling has waned ever since. Any remaining pumped-ness finally vanished after watching the Quick Look.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By chilibean_3

I don't really care about that game and wasn't ever planning on buying it but it looks like the game NEEDS other players instead of AI to be worth playing.  The Quick Look may be a poor representation of the game.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By EuanDewar

Its hard not to be skeptical of any game that incredibly hypes up one aspect of the game and then when the final product is released that aspect is rarely used in 48 minutes of real world gameplay. I would rather play an amusingly awful game then one that looks this average.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jeffsekai

I sorta was but I was on the way to thinking it was not going to be worth it, Quick Look made me want to avoid the game 100%.

WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

Checking out the QL now.
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't "pumped" but I was interested in what it had to offer, especially with the HUGE amount of advertisement for the SMART system back at E3 last year. When they stopped showing stuff in the run up to release, it screamed "movie not screened for critics" to me, I knew they were just going to drop it and hope people bought it on good faith.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I'm wasn't really interested in the game before personally, but I was curious to see what the game was going to bring to the table.

As I was watching the QL, it seemed like Jeff wasn't really wasn't utilizing the SMART stuff as effectively as he could have been. They way they marketed this game, I was under the impression that you should be running and jumping around all over the place in awesome fashion, but after some more watching, it seems like all it really does it help you hop over boxes really well and maybe skip some stairs here and there.

It still seems like a neat idea to me, and maybe this is just one of those games that needs to stew for a while and build up a dedicated user base before things start getting really interesting.

The character edit menus looked pretty cool though. Like all assissin's creedish.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By grilledcheez

I wasn't pumped because I am smart and it looked stupid.

DrMcKittrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DrMcKittrick

I never thought this game was going to be worth anything.  Glad I was right.

management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By management

I thought Brink was going to be a 4-player Mirrors Edge. I was wrong.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#17  Edited By fox01313

I was rather indifferent & in the dark about it, knew a few details but after seeing the QL & a fan somewhat of Quake Wars Enemy Territory, I'll definitely rent it. At least the single player on Brink looks like you can easily get tons of xp with the rounds constantly going back & forth. Feeling that if it's like the other Enemy Territory games, the best version is probably on the PC but wondering how well this will do as many fans of Quake & Wolfenstein franchises might have been part of the reason why Quake Wars/Wolfenstein Enemy Territory were so successful.

Spoonybard37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By Spoonybard37

I was very interested in the game, but as the QL went on my enthusiasm for it began to sink pretty fast :|

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By phrosnite

Not me. I knew it would be average a long time ago...

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By mordukai
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " Who was the guy looking at Brink going 'Man, I could really do with an team objective based mulitplayer focused first person shooter! There's literally no other options on the market.' I don't get the hype around any of this. "
    The hype was more around the parkour, or SMART as the dev likes to call it, element of this game. 
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheHT

The only footage I saw before was character customization. I like the style and the options seemed cool. Beyond that I had zero interest in checking out anything on it.

Though I gotta say, I wasn't expecting the game to look that bad going into the QL. I still think with human opposition and allies it'll look way better.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Getz

so many people talking about how they "knew all along..."

Have you simpletons even touched the game yet? 
    DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DukesT3

only really cared cause of a $10 pre-order bonus it came with on amazon. Eh, I'll give it a shot next month when it drops to $40 or something. 

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24  Edited By Yanngc33

I was expecting something around the lines of Mirror's Edge but apparently it's just another shooter

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By donchipotle

I wasn't 'pumped' but I was curious. I don't let quick looks influence my purchases so I remained curious and bought it and find it fun. Fun enough, anyway. 

cyraxible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cyraxible

Very skeptical, I kept the game in my peripheral. It threw a lot of cool ideas at a wall and none of them stuck.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ShaneDev

The gameplay videos released made it look very dull. The  SMART  system would have been cool but it seems as its not actually useful or used in the game. The hype for the this game seems to have come at the  eleventh hour.

feigr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By feigr

The fact that Jeff hardly uses the SMART stuff in the Quick Look shouldn't be an indicator of how much of it is actually in the game.

I was fairly interested in the game before watching the Quick Look and I thought the game looked pretty cool. Jeff runs in and gets himself killed like he's playing CoD while blindfolded but you could still see the potential there, especially while playing with other people. Also it was quite frustrating to watch him spawn and run the wrong way three times in a row even though there was an objective marker on the screen, but that's standard Quick Look stuff. :P

A lot of the reviewers seem to have assumed that the game would have more single player content than it did, but to me it's fine. I don't play TF2 with bots either and I don't care that it has no single player campaign or whatever. Also more reviews of the PC version would be nice since that's the only platform I play these types of games on.

I still have not decided if I'm getting Brink or not, I guess it depends on whether it becomes a popular online game on the PC.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jimbo

Judging this on single player is like judging Battlefield 2 on single player.  In terms of critical reception, they'd probably have been better off just not bothering with SP.

I assume the QL was console, because the controls looked clumsy as fuck.  It might be ok with a mouse in your hand.  Still, there are a ton of other FPS games out there you could be playing instead - does this do enough to stand out from the crowd?  It doesn't look like it.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I was pumped when they first started showing it, having seeing more and more as it went along and then playing the final version, I do not like it at all.

Reizarvg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Reizarvg
    @Getz said:
    " so many people talking about how they "knew all along..."

"
    What?! Don't be ridiculous, you don't need to play a game to speak with complete authority about its quality. That would be stupid and reasonable!

I'm still pumped for it. I don't really use quick looks to judge how good multiplayer first person shooters are because the Giant Bomb crew are terrible at videogames.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NTM

A long time back, when I heard there wasn't really any campaign, I was put off and still, I think it looks pretty dumb. Only thing I think going for it is the art.
    karatetron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By karatetron

Moi.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Subjugation

Nope. I'm certain you can all identify with the concept of a game grabbing your attention by looking interesting or fun before you play it, however neither ever happened for me in regard to Brink. People have unique tastes and this just didn't mesh with mine at all.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Getz
    @Reizarvg said:
    " @Getz said:
    " so many people talking about how they "knew all along..."

"
    What?! Don't be ridiculous, you don't need to play a game to speak with complete authority about its quality. That would be stupid and reasonable!

I'm still pumped for it. I don't really use quick looks to judge how good multiplayer first person shooters are because the Giant Bomb crew are terrible at videogames. "
    Whoa there, let's not get slanderous.
    dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By dragonzord
    @ArkhamNights said:

" Fo' sheezy.  I was super--excited to watch the quick look, but then Jeff said something along the lines of "this game isn't very good," and I immediately became bummed.
     Sounds about right. "Jeff didn't like it, so I know I won't."
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#37  Edited By Hailinel

The main thing I learned from the Quick Look was that the game has some incredibly dumb bots.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By laserbolts
    I was interested for the smart system but after watching the gameplay this looks like a complete waste of 60 bucks. Just because you can climb over cover without pressing a button is not enough for me to buy this thing.
    Balex1908

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Balex1908

I canceled my preorder not because of the quick look or the mixed reviews, but because of PSN...

LimpingFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By LimpingFish

I was planning on picking it up, but after that QL (and the fact that the single-player content seems to be just bot-based multi-player), I'll let it simmer for a while. Maybe if a demo appears...

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Vexxan

I was 50/50 on buying it, now I have decided not to buy it. 

sensory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By sensory

Jeff didn't use the SMART system to it's full potential. Instead he played it like [insert generic shooter] and it really showed in the Quick Look. I'm not saying that if he had played it as it should have been played, i.e. hopping all over the place and using the SMART system to his full advantage, that it would have made it better.. but I've seen videos of a Light body-type who is able to play the game as the devs intended and it looked far more entertaining. Once you start seeing the maps in 3 dimensions, I gather the game will open up a bit more.

Regardless, I don't see this game doing well after all these bad scores from prominent reviewers. I'll still be buying it though since I have friends who'll be playing it .

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By Jackel2072

to be honest after watching the quick look the game didnt look all that bad. I still am dissapointed that the parkour stuff looks pretty meh. i was hoping for Mirors edage with more shooting from this game. the only negative thing i took away from that quick look was Jeff and Brad saying this game may be a little too complex for console gamers... wtf?! there is more then just TDM in COD and Halo you know?. =P anywho i think im just going to have to play it at some point to see if i like it.
    Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I would say I was moderately interested in it.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By StrikeALight

Before the QL I was like 12-Noon, but now I'm totally 4 O'clock.

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#46  Edited By ToxicAntidote

The QL only showed me that Jeff can't co-op with bots, and when he FINALLY tested the online mode (in a MP focused shooter ffs) the server was shit.
    I'm still interested in the game though. I never ever judge before getting my own experience.

Hot_Sawce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Hot_Sawce

The quick look was only a look at single player with bots. I respect Jeff for choosing to withhold his actual review until he has time to play with real people.  Anyone looking at this game for the SP experience would be foolish, despite the marketing trying to make it sound like SP and MP are totally seamless; that's always bullshit.

There is absolutely no doubt the way they handled the preview (or lack thereof) access and marketing for this game was atrocious.  Beth treated it like a Fallout or Elder Scrolls game and you just can't do that.  They want to get into the shooter market, they're going to have to do better next time.

Vigil80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Vigil80

I wasn't excited for Brink before, and the feeling from the QL validated that. Like he said at the end of the video, there appear to be individual parts that could have been leveraged well, but they don't come together in a package that looks better than (or even on par with) other titles out there.

I never saw what other people evidently did that generated any hype in the first place. Every once in a while, I'd hear something along the lines of "huh, there's that Brink game coming out sometime, I guess." Now it's just "oh yeah, that Brink game came out, I guess."

Chontamenti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Chontamenti
    @DrMcKittrick said:

" I never thought this game was going to be worth anything.  Glad I was right. "

Sorry to say that, but same here.

First I thought "Hey u can parkour in this shooter, this could be awesome!" but a few months later and a few ridiculous ..let's them call "trailers".. later I thought: "Huh.. it's TF2 with boring classes"
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By napalm
    @Getz said:
    " Pumped before, still pumped after. Played for an hour today, seems pretty good. It's not blowing my mind, but it's refreshing for a console FPS. I have disagreed with Jeff on many games in the past, and I tend not to let my purchasing be influenced by his sole opinion. "
    I'm glad to hear this. I'm interested in the SMART system, the weapon and character customization. I'm not looking for the combat to blow me away.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.