Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bulletstorm

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Feb 22, 2011

Stylish, ludicrous kills net big points in this ridiculously over-the-top first-person shooter.

Anyone Else Put Clean Off With This Games 'Ttud?

MJHAYLETT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MJHAYLETT

I popped on the demo and even before I got to the gameplay I was back to the XMB to delete it. Why?? It was so juvenile and crass that my brain was offended at the lowest common denominator it was aiming for. Put me clean off it. The language and delivery was so mind numbingly low brow that I felt dirty. Juvenile, Idiotic and Inane are not things that get me into a game. I have the feeling though I am in the minority :D Superiority Complex. Moi? lol

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By jmfinamore

Oh I'm sorry, was there not enough Kafka and yachting in it for you, dicktits?  

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. But, I know what you mean. It's definitely done on purpose, but I could see how it could turn people off.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Dylabaloo

The sad part is if you look at the comments left on the trailers on youtube.

MJHAYLETT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MJHAYLETT

I know it's done on purpose and I am not one for existential angst and pondering lifes inponderables but this games tone just rubs me up the wrong way. Now where is my yacht?

Andheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Andheez

That didnt bother me so much as just not enjoying the demo.  I think I just mentally filtered out any narration anyway.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ryanwho

I don't really mind the "MOUNTAIN DEW BROS" philosophy cus the game looks fun. That "parody" didn't give me too much hope in the way of humor, either. Hopefully they don't spend too much time navelgazing and making onthenose references to IPs way more popular than they are and mostly just stick with the game part.

MJHAYLETT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MJHAYLETT
    @Dylabaloo said:
    " The sad part is if you look at the comments left on the trailers on youtube. "
    I'm frightened to as I might lose my belief in humanity :D
    Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Marcsman
    @MJHAYLETT:
    Your movements are so lifelike, I forgot you're not a real boy.
    MJHAYLETT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MJHAYLETT
    @Marcsman said:
    " @MJHAYLETT: Your movements are so lifelike, I forgot you're not a real boy. "
    I don't even know what that means. Is it a Pinocchio reference? and if so what is it trolling about me?
    MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By MayorFeedback

I get what they're doing, but I totally agree. It's a fun idea and it plays fine, but I'm definitely put off by the execution and the "attitude." 

MJHAYLETT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MJHAYLETT
    @drhans said:
    " I get what they're doing, but I totally agree. It's a fun idea and it plays fine, but I'm definitely put off by the execution and the "attitude."  "
    yeah I have nothing against the gameplay - its like The Club meets Duke Nukem (if you squint a bit :D) but like you the whole attitude makes me retch at the juvenile crassness of it.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Enigma777

I thought the dialogue was a breath of fresh air. Also I learned a fair share of new words and expressions while playing it.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dylabaloo
    @MJHAYLETT said:

" @Dylabaloo said:

" The sad part is if you look at the comments left on the trailers on youtube. "

I'm frightened to as I might lose my belief in humanity :D "
    Its a cesspool of annoying 13 year olds there.
    If you having any hope in a nice prosperous then don't enter.

":L its called being legit, and i do enjoy my games and being good at them, n00b"     

"COD and Bioshock mated and made this."     

"u need to be an awesome dude to play this game :)

i call this game cod awesome version"  

Uggghhhh... 
    swfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By swfcfan

It's funny that this issue of the use of bad language has been brought up, as only the over day i was thinking about how I would like  the option to turn off or censor bad language in games i buy.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By adoggz

yeah, bulletstorm is the poster game for why people think gaming is for children.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By DeeGee

People need to take themselves less seriously.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Romination

My big issue with it is that they went into some kind of damage control overdrive after E3, when someone said in it "you scared the dicks off of me" or something. Then Epic just went into "NO IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE SILLY AND LIKE THAT DUKE NUKEM THING." I don't mind it, and I think the game looks great, but I wish they hadn't started throwing it into everyone's face.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By luce
    @MJHAYLETT said:
    " @Dylabaloo said:
    I'm frightened to as I might lose my belief in humanity :D "
    Pretty sure humanity exists
    Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle

I can't tell what I hate more, the in-game juvenile content or your infuriating responses toward it. The game (you know, the interactivity of it) plays just fine. I skipped past the cutscenes and the dialogue and plunged into using the environment for creative kills. I can at least appreciate it for that. 

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By cornbredx

'tude*

No. I like it. While I agree they are pushing it a bit hard in the Ad campaign, I don't really care. Game looks fun and funny.
    I'm not a prude, I like insanity and crude humor sometimes, and I miss that in my games.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
    @HarlequinRiot: tehe 

I understand where your coming from. Fortunately for me, I can enjoy that stuff in an ironic way. I don't think it was that bad because it was over the top enough and in some ways, kind of creative (or at least as creative as mashing crass words together to make surprisingly satisfying words can be...). I can definitely see why people are turned off by it though. As someone who's first game was (I shit you not) Duke Nukem 3D, this kind of stuff really brings me back to my early days. I mean, I enjoy sophisticated media as much as the next guy, but really all I want is something that is fun and now totally shallow. While some aspects of the game may be shallow, as a whole, the game is a pretty good package, and I can enjoy the silliness and the self parody of it all.
    @adoggz said:
    " yeah, bulletstorm is the poster game for why people think gaming is for children. "
    It shouldn't be though. That's like saying some intentionally and ironically crass movie speaks for all games. That's kind of a cop out imo. That 's like people thinking TV is crass and immature because of South Park. There are probably something like 15,000 different programs out there for you to watch on TV these days, one show, no matter how crass and immature, shouldn't bring down all the others. And considering that Bulletstorm takes it's self about as seriously as the fuckin' joker, I'd say that anyone using it as an example has a pretty weak argument.
    IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By IBurningStar

I thought it was sort of funny at first, but now they have gone a bit overboard with it and it is getting annoying. Sometimes less is more.

krisgebis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By krisgebis

I can enjoy both shitty and sophisticated entertainment. It's the mediocre things I find a waste of time.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @IBurningStar said:

less is more. "

Not when it comes to marketing.

Regardless of how we feel about their "tactics" or "tude", generally speaking the more people talk about a product's marketing the more it has succeede - and I've seen A LOT of talk about Bulletstorm and it's marketing.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By napalm

The opening dialogue when Grayson Hunt talks to the player put me off the first few times I played it but then I just learned to appreciate it because it was so dumb and stupid, which is exactly what it's aiming for. I just hope there's not a whole lot of weird talking to player moments in the game. I have a feeling that was a one-off just for the demo. The goal of the comedy isn't for some stupid insult to hurl at the player, and then the player goes, "YEAH THATS FUCKIN RIGHT DICKTITS." It's like, no, it's totally parodying that mentality by just being as over the top and stupid as possible.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Zereta

In a world where games take everything so seriously, something so immature is one of the reasons why I'm buying this game. That and the fact that the core gameplay is bloody brilliant and anyone who isn't giving this game a pass JUST because of its language and immaturity is incredibly stupid.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Brendan

I'm sure the context for the madness is meaningless, so I'll just skip past the annoying parts and see if what I'm playing is any good or not.  I have a feeling the game will turn out to be just okay.

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

I stopped caring about what stuff gets said in mindless shooters a long time ago. You should too, maybe then the beauty of destruction will mesmerize you.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kingzetta

It has a refreshing ridiculousness. 

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By zityz

I wouldn't say it's juvenile, but more lazy writing. However, this game reminds me a lot of Unreal Tournament, and half the time I'm waiting for some voice to just yell KILLING SPREE! 

That I can get behind. 

Another thing I've figured is that it's a game, and if people can accept Duke Nukem's brash  sense of dialect and balls to the walls sense of style. i'm sure this fits as well. Just don't harp too much on it's grindage. Kay cruster?

High_Nunez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By High_Nunez

In my opinion, a lot more than  half the games out there are pretty damn juvenile if you think about it. Bulletstorm seems to take that nonsense to it's limit, or beyond it for some people. Now I haven't watched television in years so I don't know if they have commercials for it or anything, but if they don't, then if you hate the marketing so much why continue watching the trailers? Anyway, if the game parodies anything it's the people who take FPS' seriously. Five seconds on X-Box live and you'll hear much stupider things than anything Bulletstorm can come up with.

withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By withateethuh

I think they're trying to hard. I don't like the overuse of fuck and whatnot in the place of actual wit.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Im not the biggest fan of the attitude of the game, but I like their ballsy approach to everything in the industry and the responses they get from it. 
    Plus, the gameplay is just so damn well done. 
    treythalomew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By treythalomew
    @kingzetta: That is exactly the quote I've been trying to think of to describe me feelings toward Bulletstorm. I've got Bulletstorm preordered because it was refreshing to have a game that is just off the wall ridiculous and unique gameplay to boot. 

I was just checking on what other people were saying because it seems that all of the sudden everyone is too mature for this game. Obviously other people's opinions aren't going to stop me from enjoying the game but it is interesting to see how many people are turned off by just the dialog.
    dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By dragonzord

I read a RockPaperShotgun preview of it and the guy agreed with everything you said about the demo but he spent some time with it and says that it eventually comes around. Which isn't surprising that the game can be funny, because 'Duty Falls' made me realize those guys have a great sense of humor.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By owl_of_minerva

It's very 90s, but whatever, the baditude is not terribly important. I'm more concerned about the execution of its mechanics, which didn't impress me in the demo.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Demyx

I have no problem playing a game to do ridiculous stupid things.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By FesteringNeon

I'm not a huge fan of the "IN YO FACE" 'tude of that demo either. 
    I also am very scared that I might have out-grown the Duke humor in DNF, and may not like what i'll still eventually play.  : /

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Andorski

Aside from the brash humor, I just didn't find the demo fun.  For a game that focuses on the myriad of ways to kill people, I can only think of the combo "whip, pull, kick, shoot" with the occassional environmental object to smash enemies through.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Slaker117

I totally get what you mean. The gameplay looks like a fun throwback with a twist, but I doubt I'll ever try it just because of the way they position themselves. I get that they are being ridiculous on purpose and it's not supposed to be taken seriously, but it still feels cheaply crass.

AlphaCentauri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AlphaCentauri

OP is mad?

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Slaker117
    @AlphaCentauri:  He seems perfectly reasonable to me. He disagrees with the game's chosen flavor, but he's not getting bent out of shape about it.
    mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mattbosten

Played through the demo once and I do feel that they lay it on way too thick; I'll wait for the full game to see how varied the skillshots get and how good the actual gameplay is. If that's quality then I can bare the game's 'attitude'. 

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#44  Edited By Catolf

I like it.. i thought it was funny.. i'm glad the serious was turned off this game. If I made a game.. it'd be this. XD

@withateethuh said:

" I think they're trying to hard. I don't like the overuse of fuck and whatnot in the place of actual wit. "

It's not trying to be witty.. it's supposed to be stupid..
    Edwardryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Edwardryu

well, do you think that COD blops or whatever could be more 'mature' game? NO. to me, they are all juvenile teenager games. as a matter of fact, all video games no matter what they rated to M, they are all the same to me. seriously, what do you want  when you play game? just enjoy fucking game. people complain about anything all the time. that's why developers are pain in their asses. you gamers don't appreciate for what they do for you. geez. you need to get off.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Slaker117
    @Edwardryu said:
    " well, do you think that COD blops or whatever could be more 'mature' game? NO. to me, they are all juvenile teenager games. as a matter of fact, all video games no matter what they rated to M, they are all the same to me. seriously, what do you want  when you play game? just enjoy fucking game. people complain about anything all the time. that's why developers are pain in their asses. you gamers don't appreciate for what they do for you. geez. you need to get off. "
    Anyone else clean put off with this guy's 'tude?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.