Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

The seventh installment of the long-running action franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops puts players into the early era of the Cold War (including the Vietnam War) as a member of the United States black operations unit known as the SOG.

Showing Off A Swastika Icon In COD: Black Ops Will Get You Banned

MattDementous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By MattDementous
    @Humanoid: So true, so ironic. Yet I'm glad they're cracking down on the dumbasses who spread their filth all over and already filthy (yet awesome) game :P
    newblacknoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By newblacknoise
    @Pinworm45: I agree with you, but it's amazing how people get on their soap box to fight for their right to use a nazi symbol in a video game. I mean, really, pick your battles, huh?
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#103  Edited By Seppli

The swastika stands for offensive white supremacist's hatred against all other races. Hate breeds hate. And hate them rascist browncoats I do.

Being contra-banning is being pro-confrontation. Don't kid yourselves, that won't go over without excessive use of violence. I'd rather not have such a thing, for I am afraid of what I might do. Nor would I want to suffer from what others would try to do to me.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#104  Edited By tourgen
    @Pinworm45 said:
    " @newblacknoise said:
    " Has the first amendment ever been invoked on the internet for an issue that a) actually warranted it, and b) it applied to? Judging from the pro-swastika arguments made here, I'm guessing not. "
    The first amendment has no bearing here as Microsoft is a private company and Xbox Live is a private service - they can do what they want. However, the First Amendment is a very, very good thing that is a major cause of freedom and happiness. Therefor, it's a good guideline, and it's understandable that people wish it was followed more willingly. "
    exactly, and I would like to add just because it's a private company doing it doesn't mean it isn't censorship.  It is.  At the very least we should sit up and take notice whenever censorship occurs and the benefit of the doubt should ALWAYS go to those being silenced.

Give me a good reason why it's not O.K. to display a hate symbol in a mature-rated murder simulator?  Which symbols are "wrong" and which are O.K?  If we are going to single out 1 we had better be prepared to list out all the naughty symbols we need to censor.  You know, for the children.

I don't think anyone here is defending what the symbol stood for in WWII.  They're resisting censorship and in my book that's a good first-pass gut reaction.
    snufkinn415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#105  Edited By snufkinn415

What about all the other signs of monstrous hatred, violence, and abuse? Like the Christian cross, the hammer and sickle or the Star of David? More people have be killed by wearers of each of those than the swastika.

Or maybe just, you know, quit the damn whining about what's offensive and what's not and maybe you will realise that the men and women who wore/wear these symbols where/are just dudes like us and not some evil demons from outer space like they are often made out to be.
    (I know that sentence is way to long)

Peace :P

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By stinky
    @Milkman said:
    " @Hyco24 said:
    " I swear we are slowly loosing our 1st amendment rights. "
    Who ever said that Call of Duty was a democracy? It's Activision's game and Activision's rules.  "

god so few morons realize this. its shocking.   
    Hint: Call of Duty is not a government run program to voice opinions. 
    HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By HubrisRanger
    @Milkman said:
    " @Hyco24 said:
    Who ever said that Call of Duty was a democracy? It's Activision's game and Activision's rules.  "
    In this case, Microsoft's rules, but same principle applies. It is not a fundamental human right to play on X-Box Live.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @phishtako said:
    " What about all the other signs of monstrous hatred, violence, and abuse? Like the Christian cross, the hammer and sickle or the Star of David? More people have be killed by wearers of each of those than the swastika.  Or maybe just, you know, quit the damn whining about what's offensive and what's not and maybe you will realise that the men and women who wore/wear these symbols where/are just dudes like us and not some evil demons from outer space like they are often made out to be. (I know that sentence is way to long)  Peace :P "
    Stop being sensible. You're ruining everything.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By HitmanAgent47

That's fair, the symbol is not a good one on any level at all.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

So when will all the Penis ones be removed to? lol

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#111  Edited By Phished0ne

I wish sony would step up and start banning people with swastikas, but  i guess you get what you pay for. 

Oddly i havent seen many cock icons though. I guess the ps3 audience is a bit more high-brow.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#112  Edited By big_jon
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    "So when will all the Penis ones be removed to? lol "

too*
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @HubrisRanger said:
    " @Milkman said:
    " @Hyco24 said:
    In this case, Microsoft's rules, but same principle applies. It is not a fundamental human right to play on X-Box Live. "
    This. I hate people who pull the 1st amendment defense incorrectly. 
    LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By LegalBagel

A robust ability for the CoD player-base to express themselves in-game?  What could possibly go wrong? 

How are they really going to police this though?  Symbols ain't got nothing on what I hear in a standard match in terms of hateful expression.  I think it's more that you can take pictures of the symbols and make the game/company look bad.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Rattle618

Fuck nazis and  fuck assholes like Toulouse that want to regulate free speech. That about sums it up for me :P

sephirm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#116  Edited By sephirm87
    @nail1080 said:
    "
    Also why not ban the USA flag also, afterall they have killed millions of innocent people in other countries and still do, also they perform crazy experiments on african-americans, but sure it's ok because they don't publicly admit it I suppose

"
    just go back and put your tinfoil hat back on.
    shinluis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#117  Edited By shinluis

It is a bummer Nazis used the Swastika. Now it belongs to them and them alone. The original meaning is long gone, it would appear. It was a nice one, BTW.

Zafmg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Zafmg
    @Phished0ne said:
    " I wish sony would step up and start banning people with swastikas, but  i guess you get what you pay for.  Oddly i havent seen many cock icons though. I guess the ps3 audience is a bit more high-brow. "
    I saw one of a pink penis shooting white stripes onto some pink breasts so no, the PS3 audience is about the same brow.

Also by allowing the swastika to become simply another dumb symbol that kids will use along with biohazard and nuclear and FAIL etc. it totally loses and weight it once had and becomes just another thing that nobody cares about or sees as offensive. The internet is taking away all our precious things to be offended by!
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Jimbo

Oh no, this exposure to a distasteful symbol is absolutely ruining my ability to enjoy this totally gratuitous violence!  You know, as opposed to all the other Nazi insignia Treyarch decided to 'expose' the player to in other parts of the game.

It's amusing seeing guys who make a living exclusively out of the glorification of war and violence, trying to hand out moral lessons about something symbolising violence.  Like they somehow didn't notice their entire game symbolises violence, and is even part of a series which has previously encouraged the player to act out atrocities on par with those committed by the Nazis.

Treyarch can tell people what they can and can't do because it's their service, but let's not act like they're somehow taking this decision from the moral high ground here.  The whole Nazi Zombie thing is about as distasteful as it's possible to be - the only difference is they're making a shit load of money out of it.

Tl;dr: Treyarch can eat a dick.  Again.

jdquach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#120  Edited By jdquach
    @Laketown: Ha, dude that's awesome! 
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By JoelTGM
    @phishtako said:
    " What about all the other signs of monstrous hatred, violence, and abuse? Like the Christian cross, the hammer and sickle or the Star of David? More people have be killed by wearers of each of those than the swastika.  Or maybe just, you know, quit the damn whining about what's offensive and what's not and maybe you will realise that the men and women who wore/wear these symbols where/are just dudes like us and not some evil demons from outer space like they are often made out to be. (I know that sentence is way to long)  Peace :P "
    well now you're trying to make an argument for the sake of arguing.  nazis are evil, that symbol is offensive after what they did, end of story.  a cross or other religious symbol is not offensive, christians are not nazis.  go walk out on the street dressed in a nazi uniform and see if that doesn't offend people.
    Tacobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Tacobot

hmm do you think they'll ban me for my goatse esk icon?

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By George_Hukas
    @Jimbo said:
    " Oh no, this exposure to a distasteful symbol is absolutely ruining my ability to enjoy this totally gratuitous violence!  You know, as opposed to all the other Nazi insignia Treyarch decided to 'expose' the player to in other parts of the game.  It's amusing seeing guys who make a living exclusively out of the glorification of war and violence, trying to hand out moral lessons about something symbolising violence.  Like they somehow didn't notice their entire game symbolises violence, and is even part of a series which has previously encouraged the player to act out atrocities on par with those committed by the Nazis.  Treyarch can tell people what they can and can't do because it's their service, but let's not act like they're somehow taking this decision from the moral high ground here.  The whole Nazi Zombie thing is about as distasteful as it's possible to be - the only difference is they're making a shit load of money out of it.  Tl;dr: Treyarch can eat a dick.  Again. "
    My sentiments exactly. Treyarch's hypocrisy is fucking astounding.
    Babymauler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Babymauler

People arguing for the swastika are prolly the 14 year old shit head thats trying to be edgy. No kid you are not edgy, just a shit head.  Whatever good you think was held in that symbol was corrupted beyond all redemption by the nazi party. That symbol is forever linked to the largest loss of life that humans have ever dished out on one another. At this point in history if you feel like you want to use it you are just a nazi apologist and a closet racist. It has no place in modern society outside of a historical context.

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By George_Hukas
    @Jimbo said:
    " Oh no, this exposure to a distasteful symbol is absolutely ruining my ability to enjoy this totally gratuitous violence!  You know, as opposed to all the other Nazi insignia Treyarch decided to 'expose' the player to in other parts of the game.  It's amusing seeing guys who make a living exclusively out of the glorification of war and violence, trying to hand out moral lessons about something symbolising violence.  Like they somehow didn't notice their entire game symbolises violence, and is even part of a series which has previously encouraged the player to act out atrocities on par with those committed by the Nazis.  Treyarch can tell people what they can and can't do because it's their service, but let's not act like they're somehow taking this decision from the moral high ground here.  The whole Nazi Zombie thing is about as distasteful as it's possible to be - the only difference is they're making a shit load of money out of it.  Tl;dr: Treyarch can eat a dick.  Again. "
    My sentiments exactly. Treyarch's hypocrisy is astounding.
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#126  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Spoken like a true Nazi shit-bag.  There is all
    kinds of racial slurs being used in deer online
    Spiele. Sie are nicht gonna turn down that Geld.
    I say it's a leere Bedrohung, but I don't care enough
    to put it to den test.  Jeder should just wear one
    im Spiel & sie Weden zu in ihren Teuflischen
    Regelugen, schweinhund!! 

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By JoelTGM
    @Jimbo said:
    You've overcomplicated it.   
    infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By infininja
    @Branthog said:
    " @e7c said:
    " what if you would like to use the Indian one which in fact means peace and make it look like the Indian one if that is possible which has a very different resemblance than the Nazi one would they question you or would they just ban you thinking that you intend the Nazi one when in fact you intend the Indian one "
    Frankly, the swastika has no validity in the modern age. Regardless of its use, it will always be interpreted as a symbol of hatred. When people see a beaded indian decorated hand bag with little swastikas all around the rim, there's only one connotation that arises first and most instantly.  

That's just life and we have to get used to it. You can't have a little tiny moustache, because while you might be thinking "Charlie Chaplan" the rest of the world is thinking "Hitler". And white people can't use the N-word, because there is no amount of justification or rationalization that removes it from the historical context of fucking hanging people from trees or burning them on crosses

Also, the only swastikas I've seen in the game (and I've seen hundreds, so far) are either alone without context or are black swastikas in a white circle on a red square. "
    I disagree that the first thing I would think of when looking at an Indian handbag is Nazis. I also think if I was at a Charlie Chaplan convention I wouldn't think the people with tiny mustaches were Hitler. Sure, completely devoid of context those may be the first things I think of, but it's borderline insulting that you assume context is unimportant.
    lemmdawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By lemmdawg

I haven't read every post so sorry if I repeat others sentiments.  But why is anyone arguing this?  First amendment?  Really, people are going to use that argument?  It's not about being politically correct or freedom of speech.  How about the common courtesy of not being a douchebag to the millions of people offended by the image.  Maybe it doesn't mean anything to you, but it certainly is a symbol of hate to many.  I think the Microsoft guy already explained it eloquently enough that when you see the symbol there is absolutely no context to say oh it's the Indian symbol or the Buddhist one or what have you.  Besides in the instances I've seen, the people that have the swastikas have clan tags like [NAZI] or [Hitler's Youth] or some stupid tag.  Again why is anyone arguing this?  Who uses the symbol and why?  I'm gonna say 0% of my encounters with the swastika are people representing anything other than douchebaggery.  Yeah you can't get rid of every person who makes the game obnoxious, but it's certainly a step in the right direction.

snufkinn415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By snufkinn415
    @Babymauler said:
    "That symbol is forever linked to the largest loss of life that humans have ever dished out on one another."
    Learn 2 history.
    error5305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By error5305

It is a bit ironic that in a long running franchise about war that one of the most recognizable symbols is not allowed.  
    Ponder this: If Germany had won what symbols would this issue focus on instead?  Dude, are you gonna get that Zombie Brits DLC?  Such is history.  
    I agree that Microsoft/Activision can and should make these bans quick and harsh.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By bybeach

One of the few times I just flip and agree with MS. The swastika is a pretty neat looking symbol, and it is I believe also a Buddhist sign of sorts also. I would love to see it cleansed of the nazi meaning, but that could maybe only work for me. The fucking nazis ruined it, at least for time to come. Hammer and sickle, not so much...communism wanted to be a good thing, it was just impossible to make work without acting like nazis.   That seems to be the historical conclusion.

As for the humping unicorns and cuming bears...I guess if you spend all kinds of time effort and intelligence to produce these things, it must have value,..eh?

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#133  Edited By Skald

About damn time. And for the record, anyone using a swastika emblem because its an Asian symbol is a damn liar.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#134  Edited By OldManLight
    @CitizenKane
    @OldManLight said:
    " @Thejugglingbum
    Wasn't their last game filled with Swastikas?
    Haha, id love to pursue that discussion with a treyarch or xbox live official. "
    You'd be laughed right out of the building.

Swastikas in World at War were used for correct historical accuracy and representation relative to the story they told.  Same as swastikas in games like Return to Castle Wolfenstein or in movies like Saving Private Ryan.  Swastikas in the tags of players in Black Ops are just used by idiots who think they are cool because they have a swastika.
    Yeah I know, just would love to be on the ridiculous side of an argument.
    MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By MadExponent

Damnit and I was going to make a picture of the horse banging the fist pumping guy

adamfedoruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By adamfedoruk

so why can I not pretend to play as a Nazi in this game when there are Nazi Zombies, a previous title in the series on the same system that had everyone playing as Nazis at one point (in MP)? 

BUUUUT then again, this is the same company that said your gamertag couldn't contain the word "gay' but sells a product called "The Ballad of Gay Tony" on their marketplace.  
    Such is life, I guess =/

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#137  Edited By OldManLight

Just decided that I'm changing mine to say "its on like donkey kong"

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#138  Edited By ProfessorEss

So many people in here saying:  "This decision offends me greatly, people who are offended by the swastika should grow some thicker skin".

Am I the only one seeing irony here?

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Toxin066

Wait, so if I make a gargantuan, veiny, throbbing, hairy,  dick as my avatar - I'll get banned? 

How can a penis be lumped in the same category as a swastika? Sad , sad world we live in.

warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By warchief

good 

MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By MadExponent
    @Thejugglingbum
    Wasn't their last game filled with Swastikas?
    Good damn point. I guess the argument they'd make is that theirs was in historical context.
    AmericanNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By AmericanNinja

so they give you the tools to be able to make symbols then they ban you for making them..weird.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#143  Edited By Claude

No Caption Provided
    FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By FengShuiGod

Seems like a silly thing to fuss about.

Entus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Entus

@Babymauler said:

"That symbol is forever linked to the largest loss of life that humans have ever dished out on one another."

No...?     

@Babymauler

said:

"Hammer and sickle, not so much...communism wanted to be a good thing, it was just impossible to make work without acting like nazis. "

Really? Are people really defending Stalin? I guess he was just trying to "help" when people were deemed an enemy of the state and killed.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Jimbo
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " @Jimbo said:
    You've overcomplicated it.    "
    Or are they making it exactly the right level of complicated so they can have their cake and eat it too?  They're gonna tell me that Nazi insignia is so distasteful that they can't possibly allow somebody to use it as an avatar (or whatever it is), but not quite distasteful enough to prevent them slapping it on a zombie and selling it for $60?  How incredibly convenient for them.

I don't think people should use Nazi symbols as their avatars either, but when they do (which was inevitable) I think Treyarch employees should at least have the shame not to launch into a moral rant about it.  Ban it on T&C grounds if they're going to, but they don't get to act like a moral crusader on this issue after making the design decisions they made.
    coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By coaxmetal
    @Jimbo said:

" @DOUBLESHOCK said:

" @Jimbo said:
    You've overcomplicated it.    "
    Or are they making it exactly the right level of complicated so they can have their cake and eat it too?  They're gonna tell me that Nazi insignia is so distasteful that they can't possibly allow somebody to use it as an avatar (or whatever it is), but not quite distasteful enough to prevent them slapping it on a zombie and selling it for $60?  How incredibly convenient for them.  I don't think people should use Nazi symbols as their avatars either, but when they do (which was inevitable) I think Treyarch employees should at least have the shame not to launch into a moral rant about it.  Ban it on T&C grounds if they're going to, but they don't get to act like a moral crusader on this issue after making the design decisions they made. "
    I don't think Treyarch has anything to do with this. As far as I can tell from the article, Microsoft is making this call since BLOPS is using xbox-live. Nobody said anything about Treyarch. I think your rant may be severely misdirected. The guy who acted :like a moral crusader" is Microsoft's director of online service.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#149  Edited By natetodamax

THANK YOU! This is good news.

snufkinn415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By snufkinn415
    @bybeach said:
    "communism wanted to be a good thing, it was just impossible to make work without acting like nazis.   That seems to be the historical conclusion."
    I don't think there have been any major massacre in the name of evil. The nazis thought they where doing the world a favour, just like the crusaders thought some all knowing space-santa where on there side when they killed everyone who refused to convert to their religion.

TL;DR: Good intentions kill.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.