Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Ghosts

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Nov 15, 2013

The tenth installment of the long-running shooter franchise introduces a brand new storyline, where the United States is under threat from a coalition of South American nations, and must employ a special group of operatives known as "Ghosts" to survive.

Can't decide if this is the best or the worst

JamesJeux007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JamesJeux007

My little brother got Call of Duty: Ghosts on PS3 for Christmas. Like each game since Modern Warfare 3, I decided to play the game after he had finished it so I could get my 5 hours of campaign and be done with it. Except this time, it has been excruciatingly bad. So bad actually, that the only thing that kept me going was making fun of how stupid most of this game is. And then this happened.

In case you missed it, let me explain it to you. Your dog literally LEAPED ONTO A FLYING HELICOPTER and managed to THROW OUT THE PILOT, thus making the helicopter land, while under fire from all directions.

And now I can't decide if I hate this game or if I love it.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I've been tired of Call of Duty since MW2 but I have to admit that's kind of the fucking best.

Ksaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Ksaw

Even with all the bullets flying and trying not to die that's occurring in this sequence, I still think the dogs actions warrant some sort of passing dialogue. A simple "holy shit, did anyone see what that dog just did?" would suffice.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

It's badumb.

But in a good way.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

The only reason they even come with single player campaigns anymore is to justify charging $60

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

the part with the dog is really dumb, wich is good. But once the iron sights came up i immediatly got this weird "ugh" feeling. They should take a break for a while.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

I don't know, the scene before where they use Reilly as a gernade was better use, there's that slow mo moment where 6 guys are running away from Rielly in terror.

If this was Metal Gear it'd be more awesome, rock guitar music, better composition of the camera show casing how awesome the scene is, maybe some bullet time slow mo, and then hero does a Nic Cage style smile from Con Air. I could easily think of better ways to make the dumb just come off as rad.

JamesJeux007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8  Edited By JamesJeux007
    @crithon said:

I don't know, the scene before where they use Reilly as a gernade was better use, there's that slow mo moment where 6 guys are running away from Rielly in terror.

You mean the "door breach" ? That moment had me laughing my ass off yelling "Riley, what did you do to get this GROUP OF TRAINED SOLDIERS burst out the door guns blazing while running in terror ? WHAT ARE YOU ?!" This game is reaaaaaaally dumb.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@jamesjeux007: yesssssss, plus it's a slow mo scene, the camera is aligned right to make sure you see Reilly. Just saying in composition and framing to see how ridiculous it is.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By GunstarRed

I loved it whenever Riley was with me in that game. Unfortunately he's only with you for a very small percentage of it. If they'd have somehow managed him to be in a miniature submarine underwater/doggy space suit it would have probably been game of the year.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it was Lassie , she would have been able to pilot the Copter and go rescue Timmy from a well.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I crunched the numbers, and it seems that it is simultaneously the worst AND the best. So says math.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah the campaign is beyond ridiculous... it is also top notch American paranoia, the whole south america hate the US and wants to kill its citizen, like no dude. If South America gets rich and prosperous they more likely to spend it on Carnivals and enjoying their beaches than anything else.

mina_mina752

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

and my dog junior still bumping into walls -.-

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Sooty

Call of Duty could seem like it was trying to be funny and a parody, but then you realise they are actually being serious and just kind of feel bad for everyone involved.

Someone thought this stuff was a good idea in an attempt to sell a serious story.

Damn.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reason why the dog taking out the pilot was funny was probably because it was intended to be a "serious" moment. Good to see that the franchise continues to be worth ignoring since MW2

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Quarters

Hey, at least I don't have to hear Irish complaining for 4 hours straight. Riley knows how to get stuff done.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

And I thought Black Ops 2 went off the deep end. This is great. Although from the sounds of it, this campaign is pretty weak overall, in comparison. A shame, I thought they were back on track with that previous installment.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#20  Edited By Hailinel

I'm not a fan of these games, but seeing as how reviews called the writing bad for even a Call of Duty title, I watched some of it on Youtube and...man. It's honestly like they didn't even try. Poorly constructed world and conflict, one-dimensional characters, a forced twist ending to set up a sequel...they're actually planning to make sequel to this nonsense. That might be funniest bit about the whole thing.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Airjacking helicopters? That dog just pulled some Rico Rodriguez shit. Riley for Just Cause 3.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NTM

Eh. The story's not great, and while the Ghosts are somewhat cool, the majority of characters are pretty bland. There's some instances where there's bad voice acting, and bad dialogue, but overall, I enjoyed the experience of Call of Duty Ghosts; enough so that I went through it again on Veteran, and had fun with it again. I probably wouldn't have gotten the game on last-gen, but getting a 30 dollar gift card for the game, with the PS4, I got it and I think it was worth it.

Yeah, I like the game, but I would like more longevity to it; a better story and more time to develop characters. The ridiculous stuff I thought were awesome, but goofy at the same time. The first time I went through the game, I didn't know Riley attacked the heli, and when I noticed he did my second time through, that was funny. As little time as you get with Riley, I liked the dog more than I was expecting.

I had a real problem with another game, somewhat similar to it, which is Battlefield 4's campaign. I don't remember the last time I disliked a campaign of its sort as much as I do BF4. At first, it was OK, but then as I progressed, it was just frustratingly bad and the only reason I wanted to get through it was because I had already gone through Ghosts, and I wanted to compare them. The difference is that the BF4's multiplayer, while not necessarily working well, is funner than Ghosts.

Ghosts is just kind of bad, and I had funner just getting everything from the get-go by playing against bots, where I can customize the match, and online also doesn't work well, since guys are randomly jumping around on the screen so you can't get a good shot on anyone. I don't know what's up with them. The thing about Call of Duty, that makes me not mind it, is that it's not really meant to be seen as realistic, so those crazy moments can be seen differently, as opposed to Battlefield 4, in which I felt the developers didn't know what they wanted it to be identified as, as well as some just awkward moments that don't make sense in terms of human realism, and in a game like it, if you even question it, that's not a good sign.

To me, any criticism you can have towards Ghosts' campaign, you can look at Battlefield 4 for even worse, and then some. Call of Duty isn't meant to be a comedy, but I also don't feel like it's supposed to be this realistic thing you experience, so for me, it gets away with... Basically all of the unrealistic aspects, and there's a lot. What did it for me, is that the shooting feels good, and I liked the locations you go to which are set up nicely; good variety I think. You just do some cool stuff.

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This moment alone was better than the entirety of Killzone Shadow Fall.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

No Caption Provided

The stories for these games are just ridiculous, but maybe that's the point. A serious story would be your character coming back home missing an arm with PTSD and bomb fragments in their back that the VA won't treat without a mile of paperwork. There is probably a mid-way point that fans would like, critics would respect, and would still sell but you need a REAL writer to pen such a story...not some game producer who thinks he is the next Tom Clancy.

Less bombast and more soul is needed in these games. This "we need five" set pieces battles where building fall on people's heads is getting them nowhere good. Also, it just time for the story to take a risk. Women can now qualify for combat positions, the next game should be about that...play as a women the whole game...be in a co-ed team...something. And, if I had advice for Treyarch I would say don't go GI Jane, think more of Brienne, the Maid of Tarth for a model.

The multiplayer for the current game is growing on me the more I play it. But, that is mostly because I give the maps an edge above what BLOPs 2 had. It comes down to maps, and I think that these are some very good ones. I think the migration of players off the old system onto the new will take time. I do wonder what Titanfall will do to CoD Xbox players? Sony had an early issue of people buying Killzone first and then buying CoD, but I think Xbox One player will find a lot of people playing something else in the next month. Then again, I don't think Titanfall will really make a permanent dent in CoD play stats.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Shit.

That looks way more interesting than everything Activision put out about Ghosts before it launched. Hmmmm.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By monkeyking1969

Considered Opinion after playing a few months:

I think the Perk, Accessories, Character Creation bit of the game are actually really well done. This is probably the best system just for playing I have seen in the last six games. The story si not great..but teh game plays well enough in MP.

Here is what I like: you buy the Perks, Accessories, Weapons using in-game points. If you want to carry two grenades at the start, just buy the perk early. If you want I.E.Ds buy that type of explosive. If you want the best sub-machine gun early just buy it. What that means is "how you play" is released from what level you are at any given moment, and that is especially helpful when you Prestige a lot. In past CoD games, I was sort of slavish to gaining levels after a prestige because it was like starting all over again to get to teh good stuff. Now, you can finish one character and start the next character and if you want to earn the perks slowly that is fine. Yet, if you want to spend some skill points to buy the perks you want to work on next that is fine too.

What you need to wait to earn is now, faces, head wear, uniforms, and patches. Yes, 50% of the patches are ugly...those artists should really "re-think" what a cool patch is suppose dot look like. But, I cannot argue with the division of what you can buy with points, and what you must earn. It may seem backwards to make the meaningless stuff like faces, hats, and uniforms what you have to earn...but it makes the game far smoother. The restrictions exist in what you carry and the perk you want to have use, but what perk you have access to is open if you spend a small amount of earned points. And, if you wnat to earn maximum XP you need to switch around your perks and use crappy ones too.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Marcsman

I enjoy it. I feel like the King of North running around with my wolf.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.