Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 08, 2011

The last installment of the Modern Warfare trilogy brings World War 3 to the world of Call of Duty. While the U.S., British, and French armed forces try to push back the Russian invasion, the disavowed Task Force 141 begin their hunt for international terrorist Vladimir Makarov.

Activision Demos Two Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Missions

• 161 results
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    No Caption Provided

When I sat down to watch Infinity Ward's Robert Bowling and Sledgehammer's Glen Schofield talk a bit about Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, I wasn't really sure what to expect. At this point, it's hard not to feel like the series is losing a bit of steam, and with the game being spread across multiple developers, it's easy to start jumping to conclusions and suspect that this year's Call of Duty is going to be kind of a mess. The assembled media was then shown a couple of nice-looking levels that left me thinking that Modern Warfare 3 isn't going completely off the rails just because some portion of the Modern Warfare 2 team isn't with the company. Assuming that the Xbox 360 gameplay we were shown is representative of the final product, Modern Warfare 3 appears to be a Call of Duty game, with a rock-solid framerate and plenty of guys to gun down.

The demo was broken up into two levels. The first took place in Manhattan, with a level called Black Tuesday that showed members of Delta Force attempting to push back the Russian invasion. The wide streets of the city are, by the time you get there, littered with debris and burning vehicles. You're armed with a weapon that features the one truly new thing I saw in Modern Warfare 3: the ability to push the weapon's scope off to the side when you want a close-range red dot sight and slap it back up into place when you need to do some long-distance shooting.

No Caption Provided

The rest of this sequence looked fairly standard, though seeing buildings explode and shudder around you looked pretty decent. This eventually took the troops up Wall Street and right onto the floor of the New York Stock Exchange, where they fought to the roof, where a large antenna was blocking communications. "9-bangs" were thrown in a couple of cases, and these appear to work like flashbangs... but with more bangs, like a string of firecrackers going off. After gunning down the few guys that were standing around and protecting the tower, a charge was placed, the tower fell, and the radio immediately sprung to life.

From here, enemy soldiers started firing down from other nearby rooftops, which led to a fairly standard drone sequence, where the player fired missiles down onto the enemy positions. Then a helicopter pulled up and turned the level into an on-rails shooting mission as you fire out of the side door of the chopper.

The second level, called "Mind the Gap," is set in London, and players take on the role of Sgt. Marcus Burns of the SAS. The majority of this demo was also an on-rails shooting section as the SAS troops drive a pick-up truck up a subway tunnel in pursuit of an enemy-filled train. Eventually the train derails, which looked pretty cool. You can see some bits and pieces of this stuff in the trailer that Activision released.

No Caption Provided

The question I was left with after seeing the demo was a pretty stupid one. During the Manhattan level, your soldier is wearing a digital watch that, while powered, doesn't actually function in-game. It was locked with one graphic, showing that it was a little before 4:30 PM. The watch is on-screen the entire time, right at the bottom of the screen. Apparently I wasn't the only one to notice, as this led to a later conversation with Bowling and Schofield where a few of us asked about the watch and if it would work in the final game. I suspect the answer they wanted to give was something along the lines of "I can't believe you're bringing up something so fucking stupid, what the hell is wrong with you people," but they were certainly gracious hosts.

The demonstration looked nice, but ultimately lacked punch. The gameplay looked like something you've played before, and the characters didn't stand out enough to make it look like anything special. MW2 characters like Soap and Captain Price weren't mentioned, and the story so far appears to be "hey, the whole world is totally effed, so take control of a bunch of faceless guys and shoot people until everything is OK again." It certainly doesn't look like a bad game. It looks like a Call of Duty game. And they said that the Spec Ops mode from MW2 would return with some new features, which I'm all for. But it all also looked like a status quo sort of deal. Hopefully the developers are holding back some more meaningful campaign sequences for the final release this November.

And, of course, it will have a full multiplayer component. I suppose, if you take the millions of people out there playing Black Ops and other previous COD games into account, then that, really, is the most meaningful thing about the entire game. As long as the multiplayer is solid, would you even care if the campaign was more of the same?

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
    No Caption Provided

When I sat down to watch Infinity Ward's Robert Bowling and Sledgehammer's Glen Schofield talk a bit about Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, I wasn't really sure what to expect. At this point, it's hard not to feel like the series is losing a bit of steam, and with the game being spread across multiple developers, it's easy to start jumping to conclusions and suspect that this year's Call of Duty is going to be kind of a mess. The assembled media was then shown a couple of nice-looking levels that left me thinking that Modern Warfare 3 isn't going completely off the rails just because some portion of the Modern Warfare 2 team isn't with the company. Assuming that the Xbox 360 gameplay we were shown is representative of the final product, Modern Warfare 3 appears to be a Call of Duty game, with a rock-solid framerate and plenty of guys to gun down.

The demo was broken up into two levels. The first took place in Manhattan, with a level called Black Tuesday that showed members of Delta Force attempting to push back the Russian invasion. The wide streets of the city are, by the time you get there, littered with debris and burning vehicles. You're armed with a weapon that features the one truly new thing I saw in Modern Warfare 3: the ability to push the weapon's scope off to the side when you want a close-range red dot sight and slap it back up into place when you need to do some long-distance shooting.

No Caption Provided

The rest of this sequence looked fairly standard, though seeing buildings explode and shudder around you looked pretty decent. This eventually took the troops up Wall Street and right onto the floor of the New York Stock Exchange, where they fought to the roof, where a large antenna was blocking communications. "9-bangs" were thrown in a couple of cases, and these appear to work like flashbangs... but with more bangs, like a string of firecrackers going off. After gunning down the few guys that were standing around and protecting the tower, a charge was placed, the tower fell, and the radio immediately sprung to life.

From here, enemy soldiers started firing down from other nearby rooftops, which led to a fairly standard drone sequence, where the player fired missiles down onto the enemy positions. Then a helicopter pulled up and turned the level into an on-rails shooting mission as you fire out of the side door of the chopper.

The second level, called "Mind the Gap," is set in London, and players take on the role of Sgt. Marcus Burns of the SAS. The majority of this demo was also an on-rails shooting section as the SAS troops drive a pick-up truck up a subway tunnel in pursuit of an enemy-filled train. Eventually the train derails, which looked pretty cool. You can see some bits and pieces of this stuff in the trailer that Activision released.

No Caption Provided

The question I was left with after seeing the demo was a pretty stupid one. During the Manhattan level, your soldier is wearing a digital watch that, while powered, doesn't actually function in-game. It was locked with one graphic, showing that it was a little before 4:30 PM. The watch is on-screen the entire time, right at the bottom of the screen. Apparently I wasn't the only one to notice, as this led to a later conversation with Bowling and Schofield where a few of us asked about the watch and if it would work in the final game. I suspect the answer they wanted to give was something along the lines of "I can't believe you're bringing up something so fucking stupid, what the hell is wrong with you people," but they were certainly gracious hosts.

The demonstration looked nice, but ultimately lacked punch. The gameplay looked like something you've played before, and the characters didn't stand out enough to make it look like anything special. MW2 characters like Soap and Captain Price weren't mentioned, and the story so far appears to be "hey, the whole world is totally effed, so take control of a bunch of faceless guys and shoot people until everything is OK again." It certainly doesn't look like a bad game. It looks like a Call of Duty game. And they said that the Spec Ops mode from MW2 would return with some new features, which I'm all for. But it all also looked like a status quo sort of deal. Hopefully the developers are holding back some more meaningful campaign sequences for the final release this November.

And, of course, it will have a full multiplayer component. I suppose, if you take the millions of people out there playing Black Ops and other previous COD games into account, then that, really, is the most meaningful thing about the entire game. As long as the multiplayer is solid, would you even care if the campaign was more of the same?

nvorgang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By nvorgang

As long as the set pieces are solid like they were in MW2 (I'm talking gameplay wise, not storywise) I'm set single player wise.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By grilledcheez

Zero interest, sorry activision.  Over saturating the market is not the business model you should be following.

Yzzerdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Yzzerdd

Found a video of the demo on youtube

ICF_19XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ICF_19XX
    @Chabbs0 said:
    @EastboundSpider said:
    wat
    @EastboundSpider said:
    wat?!
    Great posts.
    Truly.
    Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Crono11

I'm not going to lie I'm going to buy this. I may not play CoD as much as I used to but it's still the best game to get online and play with a bunch of friends.  

Edit: Actually Battlefield 3 might be that game this year for me and my friends, either way this looks good so far. 

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Jimbo

"causing missiles to hit the enemies right on their roofs"

:D

mattman734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By mattman734

I am still stoked about the games single player, and honestly can anyone really be mad that they arnt drastically changing the worlds best selling game in history?

ckeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ckeats

Now all I'll be looking for when footage of this game comes out is that watch.

tofford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#10  Edited By tofford

I wanted Modern Warfare 3 to be a last hurrah before I completely give up on the Call of Duty series. Its a shame it doesn't sound like it will.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By EpicSteve

That soldier's flag is backwards. Well, it's actually correct. However, on the U.S. Army uniform, the stars on supposed to be backwards. Kind of a weird mistake considering it doesn't take much to research basic uniform standards. 

CrimsonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By CrimsonNoir

they had so much potential with the price and soap being fugitives thing, seems just like business as usual.

fortis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By fortis

Well, if you buy a CoD game these days, you definitely know what you're getting.

Henrikhoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Henrikhoe

As expected, bland, and we have seen this before. 

BF3 COME AN

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By sameeeeam
    @Yzzerdd said:

I laughed.
    Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#16  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I bet it sells shitloads again, but damn am I bored of hearing about CoD. It's run it's course. It's saturated the FPS market to the point where I'm not even excited about Battlefield 3. The market needs a break from it... seriously.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#17  Edited By Danteveli

Wow is it going so soon just to cover that story leakage?

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DonPixel

Yeah... I find myself wanting this to fail, perhaps I'm a bad person.. but o well, haven´t been much of a COD fan anyway. 

JacobG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JacobG

Still really looking forward to this game. 

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By Bollard

To steal a well over used phrase, I think this sums up MW3: 

S.S.D.D.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By PhatSeeJay

I'll play the SP campaign but in terms of multiplayer, BF3 is what I'm shooting for this year. Not interested in COD multiplayer one bit.

Avatar image for steelknight2000
    steelknight2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By steelknight2000

I love how Jeff is the only one who'd dedicate an entire paragraph to a digital watch on a guy's hand. That is kinda weird though, are we that far off from real time digital watch technology? This warrants further investigation!

KamikazeKantus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KamikazeKantus
    @Yzzerdd: Well Played
    SilenceUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SilenceUK
    @Yzzerdd: hope that was a troll post or someone needs to learn to count
    PieGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By PieGuy
    @Yzzerdd said:

I see what you did there XD
    Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Bass

This seems like it is MW2, but this time bigger and more crazy (maybe). But I don't think I will be interested enough to buy the game at launch, or sometime later unless they prove that they have done some significant overhauls to the multiplayer component. 

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Julmust

Pfft no Soap and Price = no sell!

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By WalkerTR77

I'm only in it for the single-player, because I'm a madman.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Toxin066

This is a bummer of sorts. I usually enjoy the campaign more than the multiplayer. The multiplayer causes almost nothing but stress and frustration, while the single player gives a relaxing chance to gun down some fools in some pretty interesting locales and situations.

Duffyside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By Duffyside
    @Underachiever007 said:
    @Yzzerdd said:

I laughed.
    I didn't. From what Jeff wrote, that would be a far, far better demo than the ones given. It sounds to me like the departure of the lead Infinity Ward guys has greatly affected this franchise's quality, but I guess I'll know for sure once I see the certain-to-be-present demo at the Microsoft E3 conference. 

Also, lower quality unfortunately does not mean lower sales.
    PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PillClinton

ugh...I'll still buy it...

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#32  Edited By MeatSim

It's gonna be kind of weird if Price and Soap aren't in this game.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33  Edited By buzz_killington

Stop remaking the same game every year.

Amen.

Airickson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Airickson

COD is what you thought it would be. 

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#35  Edited By isomeri

I've been a real fan of the Call of Duty franchise for a long time, but for some reason I didn't buy Black Ops. And from what I've heard so far (which is very little) it would seem that MW3 is not a game which would pull me back to the franchise. I'm sure that this will yet again be the most successful entertainment product in the history of the world, but I'm sure that this is the beginning of the end for Call of Duty.

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By GeekDown

I'm actually excited to see where the story goes after MW2 and I hope they don't just throw something together. 

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

#37  Edited By Davvyk

Honestly, I hope this bombs (it wont) simply to send a message to activision.

txshurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By txshurricane
    @EpicSteve said:
    That soldier's flag is backwards. Well, it's actually correct. However, on the U.S. Army uniform, the stars on supposed to be backwards. Kind of a weird mistake considering it doesn't take much to research basic uniform standards. 
    No, sir, you're wrong. The flag is only reversed on the right shoulder. The stars should always be forward on the wearer, so that it appears as though it is blowing in the wind - as if on a pole. 

It doesn't take much to research basic uniform standards. ;)
    Acornactivist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By Acornactivist

well, here we go again i guess. it will still sell millions, but im personally pretty tired of CoD at this point. Theres are already 4 of these games, and aside from some pretty minor differences, there really hasnt been a lot of innovation. unless they step it up big time with this one, which it looks like they may not have from this article, i think they will begin to lose a decent portion of their fanbase. blah.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By CaLe

I don't care about the multiplayer. CoD games always have fun campaigns and are definitely worth the rental price.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Winternet

Black Tuesday and Mind the Gap. Seriously?

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42  Edited By Deranged

The game is obviously going to sell a lot, probably even more than Black Ops. But Call of Duty is getting old., hell it became old after World at War. Every year, it's the same thing except for one little tweak. Hopefully the campaign is worthwhile, but it remains a rental for me.

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Shabs

"hey, the whole world is totally effed, so take control of a bunch of faceless guys and shoot people until everything is OK again." 

This is pretty much how I felt about every Call of Duty until I lost interest (with the exception of COD2, which is still the best one I've played).
    leejunfan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By leejunfan83

Boo no more guns

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Afroman269

Well it's a shame that I don't give two shits about the multiplayer anymore. Looks like the developers are going to stick real close to the previous Modern Warfare formula but add MOAR explosions this time around.......it's sad to find out that a prediction of more exploding shit is less of a joke and more close to the truth. I'm surprised that Jeff isn't as excited for this CoD game like before but I guess there's only so much of the same game one can handle. 

EDfromRED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By EDfromRED

Activision seems to be diluting the CoD experience with each release. With tons of people still playing MW1, 2 and Black Ops multiplayer online, there is no motivation for me to pick up MW3.  I can already get my fix playing past titles that have a plethora of maps and most of the bugs worked out.  MW3 looks like its going to be a retread, with the multiplayer undoubtedly going to be frustratingly exploit/cheat heavy and map releases that probably consists of deliberately held back content in order to gouge consumers. 
     Sorry Activision and Tatters of Infinity Ward, you've lost a customer. Bring on Battlefield 3 and the Respawn project 
    Applederp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Applederp

This game will be the exact same carbon copy as it was in the past.

Absolutely nothing significant will change

aspaceinvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By aspaceinvader

Activision at it again, they will milk this cow so dry then toss it out the door. Guitar Hero updated yearly to the point it was boring as shit. COD is going that way and people will get bored of it. Time for something new people. FPS market is becoming so stale.

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#50  Edited By megalowho

I'm already tired of hearing about MW3 and it's just barely been revealed. Been done with the series since the first Modern Warfare and from what I've seen and read so far I doubt I'll be jumping back in any time soon. Too many other exciting things happening in games these days to get hyped up for more Call of Duty.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.