Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty

Franchise »

Originally starting as a World War II-themed first-person shooter, the Call of Duty franchise now incorporates other time periods and conflicts and can be found on virtually every modern platform.

No COD remaster this year, but what about 2018? World at War, Modern Warfare 2, or Black Ops 1?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Poll No COD remaster this year, but what about 2018? World at War, Modern Warfare 2, or Black Ops 1? (79 votes)

If there's going to be a remastered COD next year, I want it to be World at War 11%
    If there's going to be a remastered COD next year, I want it to be Modern Warfare 2 61%
    If there's going to be a remastered COD next year, I want it to be Black Ops 1 28%

On one hand, it'll be Treyarch's turn to make a COD game, and their first COD was World at War. Then again, we'll have just had a WW2 COD, so maybe that's not the best idea.

On the other hand, the first remastered COD was Modern Warfare 1, so it makes sense to follow that up with a remaster of Modern Warfare 2. Then again, the Modern Warfare series wasn't developed by Treyarch, so making it part of a special edition for Treyarch's next game might not be the best choice.

On a third hand, that must belong to someone else I suppose, there could be a Black Ops 1 remaster. BO1 not only sold considerably better than WaW, it was arguably the better game, and it would avoid having back to back WW2 games. Then again, despite being the first Black Ops game, the story really does start with World at War.

There are pros and cons to each, but I'd still rather play any one of them over Infinite Warfare. Either way, which remaster do you want, and why?

• 
    Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Well as someone who has never really gotten deep into CoD, what I'd really like is a functional Master Chief Collection-esque release for some CoD games so I could get a bunch at once without overpaying.

But I may be alone in that.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I don't think there really needs to be anymore COD remasters past MW2 and even that is a bit of a stretch.

yates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think we're good for CoD remasters.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I really wish there was an option for no more COD remasters, looks like the two previous responses feel the same way.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

I think there is a chance for Modern Warfare 2 and Modern Warfare 3 because they still aren't backwards compatible on the Xbox One. If they're going to continue to overcharge for these remasters, then forget it. Use those resources to make a new, great Call of Duty game.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I mean we get one of these games every. single. year. Therefore, I don't think remastering old ones will do the franchise any good.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Treyarch's first COD game wasn't WaW, they did COD2: Big Red One and COD3 before that.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Whitestripes09

I honestly hope this doesn't become a thing... MW1 barely seems like a remaster and the changes added to it aren't that great, like the new random drop weapons you get. I don't really want other games in the series to get this treatment. I also feel like MW1 campaign and multiplayer are much more timeless than any other game in the series, the rest just became repetitive drivel after MW2. The only one that I think could rival it in popularity would be BO1, but logically I think MW2 has a better chance at being next just as a test to see if they can just resell us the whole series.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If COD WW2 is successful atm it looks likely it will be I doubt we'll see any COD remasters for awhile probably not until the new gen, Black Ops 3 is the best-selling game so far this gen and generally well received amongst fans with Treyarch COD due next year any further remasters are not happening for atleast a couple of years.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Modern Warfare 2 was fucking great, so that.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

If there is going to be another one then it's probably going to be Blops 1 as 2018 will be a Treyarch year.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It will probably be like this going on from this year:

- Old war game (WW1/2/Vietnam)
    - Modern war game (War against terror)
    - Futuristic war game (Spaaaaace)
    - Modern war game (War against terror)
    - Futuristic war game (Spaaaaace)
    ETC ETC UNTIL THE END OF TIME

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't want any of them because they will probably put microtransactions in them and they will probably force you to buy the DLC maps AGAIN.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I guess to be honest I'm really not expecting any more remasters? You can colour me surprised if more do get announced.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

The Original Call of Duty/2

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's what I was thinking as well, if the new WW2 one does well, I don't think it's impossible Activision would consider shining up those original ones so people can ride the high.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

Well as someone who has never really gotten deep into CoD, what I'd really like is a functional Master Chief Collection-esque release for some CoD games so I could get a bunch at once without overpaying.

But I may be alone in that.

More than anything, I think that was a system seller designed to move hardware. Unless Activision releases a game console, I don't see that happening. It's too much effort for not much profit. It would be nice, though.

@zolroyce said:
    @blu3v3nom07 said:

That's what I was thinking as well, if the new WW2 one does well, I don't think it's impossible Activision would consider shining up those original ones so people can ride the high.

I think those are far too dated now, in terms of gameplay. Plus, COD didn't start getting absolutely massive until COD4, so it makes sense that they'd want to continue with the games after that.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think Modern Warfare 2 seems most likely, also I think that all the 360 Call of Duty's except the three Modern Warfare games are backwards compatible now on Xbox One, so that could indicate that they won't remaster the Treyarch games.

Personally I would be interested in a Modern Warfare 2 remaster, there are enough moments in that campaign I have fond memories of and would like to see with modern graphics.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt any of it will happen, but I'd like it if they eventually did Modern Warfare 2 and even three with the same treatment they gave the first MW. Also, yeah World at War wasn't their first COD.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#21 fisk0  Moderator
    Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag: No way in hell activi$ion would do that.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Rich666

With the lack of innovation in CoD, the new one might as well be a remaster of an old game. They might as wellz stop naming them and just call it CoD 2017 ala Madden.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

MW2 is where cod peaked, imo. I know MW1 is the big turning point for the series, but MW2 felt like all of the pieces coming together to form the template future entries lived by.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.