Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Celeste

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 25, 2018

A challenging puzzle-platformer from the studio behind TowerFall. Guide Madeline as she tries to climb the large and mysterious Celeste Mountain.

Has anyone else played this yet?

samuelrgreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By samuelrgreen

I was a massive fan of TowerFall (I clocked up the most hours on my PS4 in 2015) so naturally I was excited to see what creator Matt Thorson would make next. When I first saw Celeste, I wasn't too excited as I thought it was just a Super Meat Boy clone with a TowerFall look to it but all the trailers still intrigued me more as they were released.

I ended up picking this up yesterday on my Switch for my journeys to and from work and I don't think any game has clicked with me so quickly as this one has. Everything from the look, tight controls, the music and the story just feels right about this game. I can’t think of a 2D platformer that has felt this good since the old Mario Games. I know it is a busy time for new game releases with Dragon Ball and Monster Hunter etc. but I have a feeling I'll be clocking more hours playing Celeste by trying to better my chapter finish time or finding secrets in the various levels.

Anyone else thinking of picking this up during this busy release schedule? I'd say it's perfect for the Switch but I think pretty much most games are these days!

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought it last night but have yet to boot it up. I was very intrigued after seeing multiple 10/10 reviews. I’m still undecided on if I’m going to get Monster Hunter or not so Celeste will be the only thing I’m playing until Shadow of the Colossus, I’m excited to dig in!

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I didn't even know what this game was, so it wasn't on my radar at all. However, after seeing how much positive press it's getting, it's skyrocketed to the top of games I currently wanna try out.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched Patrick play it over at Waypoint and I was instantly sold. I got it day1 on Switch and I have been splitting my time between it, Iconclast and The Long Dark. I love it.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

It looks really really great, I am so close to purchasing it. Only thing stopping me is that I have a lot of games to play already.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was already interested in it from the cool-looking, tough as nails platforming (sucker for those), but after I saw the super impressive reviews (IGN giving an indie game a 10?!) and heard that the story is really good as well, I knew this was an instant purchase.

Sadly, I can't buy it yet as I have vowed not to buy any new games this year until the holiday season. When that comes around though, this is definitely becoming mine.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm interested in it after reading some about it, but I'm SUPER not a fan of "Super Meat Boy" type games.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I’m a big fan of those, I’ve finished Super Meat Boy 100% over four times now, VVVVVV three times and also loved Flywrench. Last year I expected Cuphead to be my fill but was extremely disappointed with it, the controls felt slow and unimpactful, it didn’t feel good to me, and the design had some quirks that made de difficulty unpredicatble.

This is also slow but feels immediately great. The rooms so far are never big enough to be frustrating even if it gets real hard, real fast. While I’m not using it, I love that you can tailor the difficulty with assist mode. I’m at the fourth world right now and it’s been constantly adding mechanics while not losing its great level design. I’m super impressed with it, it’s a a very good one of those.

Also the music and how it layers on the gameplay is real great.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Only a couple of levels in. Really liking it so far. Something about having to hold the R-Trigger to do a wall hold/climb still feels odd to me. It just may take some time to get used to.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Just completed chapter 2. Very impressed with it so far. It feels like a good trial and error game where you have to experiment with how you need to get a strawberry or how you can get past a room. The controls feel very tight and the level design is definitely no cake walk, but its fun.

The music is pretty strong as it has a blend of 8 bit music and atmospheric music that sells the feeling that you are climbing a mountain. The artwork after you complete the chapter is super adorable and so far I've been pleasantly surprised by its engaging story. Some notable themes about self worth and anxiety that feels relatable.

Also for anyone who's afraid of the tough difficulty, there's an assist mode where you can give your character (Madeline) buffs to make the levels easier.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Its a cool game, some great puzzle platforming, but its not worth the price i finished the game in under an hour and then the mixtapes took me about an hour. Cool game but would avoid untill its at least half price.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

The reviews seem hyperbolic, so I might have to wait a bit for the hype to die down.

TuxedoCruise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TuxedoCruise

@carryboy said:

Its a cool game, some great puzzle platforming, but its not worth the price i finished the game in under an hour and then the mixtapes took me about an hour. Cool game but would avoid untill its at least half price.

You must be a savant at masocore platformer games. All reviews are clocking this game in at 6-7 hours.

Even taking in the story, this game is under 2 hours long to 100% it?

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By handlas

@tuxedocruise said:
    @carryboy said:

You must be a savant at masocore platformer games. All reviews are clocking this game in at 6-7 hours.

Even taking in the story, this game is under 2 hours long to 100% it?

Ya... hard to believe that. I'm not sure how long the game is but im on the 3rd chapter and have over 2 hours at least. I did play some of the 8-bit game you find though.

Game is great. Has nice animations and loving the music. Only gripe is on the Switch I find I often dash diagonal when I mean to go horizontal. The tiny switch joycon thumbstick makes for unintentional errors. Haven't had that problem with other games, just this game for some reason.

edit: Chapter 5 now. Ya, no way you beat this in under an hour on the first go. Sorry.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is the story really a highlight like some people are saying? that would be the main draw for me

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@frostyryan: it’s surprisingly good for a genre that normally has no story, but I wouldn’t say it’s worth buying the game for it. There’re some story sections and some great moments, but it takes a backseat most of the time.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it quite a bit so far, three chapters and two B-side tapes in. It doesn't play quite as perfectly as SMB, which is fine for the most part except for when you're in the real pixel precise parts of those B-sides. It's not dethroning Meatboy for me anytime soon, but it's got a hell of a lot of charm and I always welcome a new, well designed, tough platformer.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#19  Edited By L33T_HAXOR

Yep, this is a great Meat Boy style game. Believe the hype.

EDIT: wait, it’s getting some 10/10 reviews? Maybe don’t get THAT excited. But the game is quite good.

kkthxbye123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought the game, and have played the first 4 chapters, and while I really enjoy the game, the screen shake in this game is just waaay too much. Anyone else bothered by it? Anyone notice it at all, or am I the weird one? Especially when picking up the yellow dash reset thingies. It makes it feel like the game is almost lagging, and makes it harder to do precision jumps imo.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kkthxbye123: 100% notice it, and while I really like the game, it's the exact thing that keeps it from being as good as Meat Boy for me. It throws me off, especially on the B-Side tapes where you need such precision, that little shake can make the difference between 1 and like, 20 deaths. It's a delightful little game with a cute story, and I appreciate that they're trying to make it accessible to both hardcore platform fans and more casual fans alike, but that part just makes me a little nuts.

Anyway, to the person that "beat the game in 2 hours 100% across everything" boy, are you a streamer? Because you should. Because that's insane. Just tonight, one B-Side tape took me a almost an hour by itself, and one of the secret levels in there took me just about 30 minutes by itself. I'm not claiming I'm a master of these games, but I 100% Super Meat Boy once upon a time, so I'm not exactly a slouch.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This game is a delight. I'm almost certain by the end of it I'll consider it one of my favorite games of all time. It nails everything, and the fact it's story is actually a really good take on depression/anxiety... IN A CUTE PLATFORMER, is just the icing on a really deliciously moreish cake.

Also did the person that supposedly beat this in an hour play with all the assists on or what?

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I just started it on Switch after listening to the Bombcast where Jeff and Ben were urging Brad to play it.

Initially I was avoiding it, considering that it's a precision platformer, which never clicked with me. But it seems like Celeste is really good that I actually enjoys all the 100x deaths in each chapter.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By gkhan

@sub_o said:

I just started it on Switch after listening to the Bombcast where Jeff and Ben were urging Brad to play it.

Initially I was avoiding it, considering that it's a precision platformer, which never clicked with me. But it seems like Celeste is really good that I actually enjoys all the 100x deaths in each chapter.

Yeah, it's real good. I didn't finish it for whatever reason, but after hearing Jeff urge Brad to play it, I'm gonna go back. It doesn't seem like a Jeff game, so it's interesting to hear him say that.

It's like what Vinny was talking about when Dan said he didn't like Red Dead, that there's people in some weird GOTY stock market going "Red Dead! Sell! Sell! Sell!". When Jeff said that, I felt the entire Giant Bomb fanbase go "Celeste! Buy!"

Deo_Brando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samuelrgreen: This is a great game! I adore it too and i still play

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of the platforming puzzles are so ingenious that I can enter a room, look at it, think "That seems impossible", and then jump in and solve it after a few attempts. The game's rules are clear and the readability of the different obstacles is fantastic, so you can normally know what to do in a room within one or two runs, and then it's all a matter of execution.

Super Meat Boy is more about execution and The End is Nigh is more trial and error, but Celeste is unique in that it perfectly toes the line between the two. If you're supernaturally skilled or a little lucky you can get through a new room in one try, but most take some doing. I got out of the first 2 chapters with less than 40 deaths, but from there on every chapter took me around 150+. Haven't done any B-sides yet, I'm assuming that's where I'll be climbing into the 300-400 deaths per chapter.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

One of my fav games ever and i dont usually like splatformers. The way it tackles anixety and depression, the sweet characters and writing, the beautiful story, the mechanics, the visuals and that soundtrack are just all so very perfect

flatblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Came back to this recently in an effort to finish it before the end of the year. I was about 2/3 of the way through when I put it down originally. Man, the last chunk of the game really lands. They pay off on the narrative aspects perfectly.

Avatar image for deactivated-652005f30594d
    deactivated-652005f30594d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

So apparantly I put this one under Ignored at Steam. I remeber that this game has like 25% appeal for me. Did nit expect that this game would grow such an incredible following here and on Steam. Ill try it out I guess

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.