Chakan is a 2D action-platformer for both the Genesis and the Game Gear. The game was based on Robert A. Kraus' Chakan comic series.
Development on Chakan was started by Recreational Brainware, a small company previously known for developing Taz-Mania. After the company collapsed, Extended Play (not to be confused with Extended Play Productions) was formed to finish development and ship the game. It debuted on Sega Genesis and was soon ported to the Sega Game Gear, though a 2001 Sega Dreamcast port/sequel/reboot was left incomplete.
Chakan, the eponymous protagonist, is capable of swinging his two swords in any direction to defeat surrounding enemies. As he progresses in the game's elemental realms, he finds other pieces of equipment that can increase his combat prowess or allow him to more easily traverse the environment. He can also mix and match potions for useful buffs, and also starts with a double jump ability.
The Four Portals of the Supernatural
- Earth: The realm of the 'Spider Queen'.
- Fire: The realm of the sadistic Elkenrod, Mistress of Spectres.
- Water: A realm of watery dangers. This level contains many levels including: Spiked Lizards, Squid, Giant-clawed Worms, and Demons. The boss of this level is The Mantis.
- Air: A castle in the air, the boss of this level is The Dragonfly King.
Players are able to complete the portals in any order.
- Balling Mallet: Used to bash through walls and boulders.
- Scythe: Used to combat enemies and slash through webs.
- Battle Axe: Used to battle creatures and break certain doors.
- Grappling Hooks: Used to grapple onto set locations.
There are twelve types of alchemy:
- Temporarily blinds the enemy.
- Causes enemies to slow down.
- Allows players to throw bombs.
- Restores the skull bar.
- Arms the player with the Blue-sword.
- Arms the player with the Blue-Lightning Sword.
- Arms the player with the Orange Sword.
- Allow the player to jump higher.
- Arms the player with the Green-Lightning Sword.
- Reverses the hourglass.
- Creates a passages in certain locations.
- Shields the player from enemies.